Teach in Greece

Dogs Home Rhodes????

Anything and everything about living in (or moving to) Greece which isn't covered in other forums here.

Dogs Home Rhodes????

Postby russellsnr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:53 am

Hi, Well the person who was going to take one of my dogs changed there mind so now I have three options (1) Find a home for them (2) anyone no if there is a dog rescue centre in Rhodes that may take them (3) Vet, Sleep.
don't want to do the last one but becomeing the last resort.
Thanks.
Russ
russellsnr
Hoplite

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: Dogs Home Rhodes????

Postby kdm » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:22 am

How can you think of ending your dogs life if he is healthy????
kdm
Metic

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Pappa Ouzo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:27 am

Russell

What about Noah,s Ark that was set up around Kiotari I think they are still operating albeit a reduced level
Hope you don't have to resort to option 3
Pappa Ouzo
Magus

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby russellsnr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:31 am

kdm wrote:How can you think of ending your dogs life if he is healthy????

Because there is no other option, don't want to do the last option but circumstances and other elements tie our hands, we have tried to find a home for them but here on Rhodes it seems eveyone lives in there own little world and not interested.
russellsnr
Hoplite

Postby russellsnr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:33 am

Pappa Ouzo wrote:Russell

What about Noah,s Ark that was set up around Kiotari I think they are still operating albeit a reduced level
Hope you don't have to resort to option 3

Tried to talk to this lady (German I think) but because we got the first dog from there and now wanted to return him she kinda started going on and on over the phone so I had to make make excuse and hang up.
russellsnr
Hoplite

Postby poppy1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:48 am

poppy1
Oracle

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby nimbus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:21 pm

Could you not buy Holly's large, plastic dog crate in new condition. Includes a metal grate door, storage compartments, optional wheels/handle for easy transport, and a partition/divider to accommodate growing puppies. Measures 21" w/ 27" l/20" h (about: 53 / 68 / 50 cm) and take your dog back to the UK with you?
"Ability is a poor man's wealth."
nimbus
Oracle

Have thanks: 89 times

Postby Ian » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:37 pm

nimbus wrote:Could you not buy Holly's large, plastic dog crate in new condition. Includes a metal grate door, storage compartments, optional wheels/handle for easy transport, and a partition/divider to accommodate growing puppies. Measures 21" w/ 27" l/20" h (about: 53 / 68 / 50 cm) and take your dog back to the UK with you?

Well, I don't know about Russell's dog but mine would definitely not fit in that thing (it's -the dog's - back is 75 cm high, let alone it's head...

:shock:
Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the f**k happened!
Ian
Oracle

Have thanks: 115 times

Postby nimbus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:52 pm

Yes Ian I see your point, that is not a large dog box if the head room is only 50cm....however it may be large enough for Russel's dog, and what I was thinking is what the problem is regarding taking the dog back to the UK, in these days of chips and animal passports it must be feasible.
nimbus
Oracle

Postby nimbus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Russel your predicament is troubling me, I cannot imagine that you are seriously contemplating abandoning your dog to a rescue center or heaven forbid having the poor animal destroyed.
Hopefully you will consider taking the poor animal to the UK, I have looked up the procedure and have reprinted it below, the financial outlay would undoubtedly be considerable, but if I were you I would consider it a small price to pay for the sake of peace of mind.

The Pet Travel Scheme ("PETS") is a system which allows animals to travel easily between member countries without undergoing quarantine. A Pet Passport is a document that officially records information related to a specific animal, as part of that procedure. The effect is to drastically speed up and simplify travel with and transport of animals between member countries, compared to previous procedures, if the regulations are followed. Pets can only travel through Animal Reception Centres that are currently licensed with DEFRA.
One example is the Anglo European company, based at Robin Hood Airport, Doncaster Sheffield.
PETS was originally introduced for the benefit of animals entering or returning to the United Kingdom from other E/U countries, since historically the UK had very strong controls to safeguard against rabies including a compulsory 6 month quarantine period on imports of many animals. On October 1, 2001, several E/U countries introduced the PETS scheme, under which animals from any member country may freely travel (with the correct procedure) to any other member country on approved carriers. A correctly prepared cat or dog may be imported without quarantine into the United Kingdom from Greece under the Pet Passport scheme, but only by an authorised transport company:
nimbus
Oracle

Postby russellsnr » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:58 pm

nimbus wrote:Russel your predicament is troubling me, I cannot imagine that you are seriously contemplating abandoning your dog to a rescue center or heaven forbid having the poor animal destroyed.
Hopefully you will consider taking the poor animal to the UK, I have looked up the procedure and have reprinted it below, the financial outlay would undoubtedly be considerable, but if I were you I would consider it a small price to pay for the sake of peace of mind.

The Pet Travel Scheme ("PETS") is a system which allows animals to travel easily between member countries without undergoing quarantine. A Pet Passport is a document that officially records information related to a specific animal, as part of that procedure. The effect is to drastically speed up and simplify travel with and transport of animals between member countries, compared to previous procedures, if the regulations are followed. Pets can only travel through Animal Reception Centres that are currently licensed with DEFRA.
One example is the Anglo European company, based at Robin Hood Airport, Doncaster Sheffield.
PETS was originally introduced for the benefit of animals entering or returning to the United Kingdom from other E/U countries, since historically the UK had very strong controls to safeguard against rabies including a compulsory 6 month quarantine period on imports of many animals. On October 1, 2001, several E/U countries introduced the PETS scheme, under which animals from any member country may freely travel (with the correct procedure) to any other member country on approved carriers. A correctly prepared cat or dog may be imported without quarantine into the United Kingdom from Greece under the Pet Passport scheme, but only by an authorised transport company:

Hi, Yes I already looked into transporting home but I have two dogs, both large and the cost is far to much to justify taking them back to the UK also we have to take into consideration that we now have three small grandchildren and another due early next year and are not prepaired to take the risk, no matter if a dog looks like butter would melt in it's mouth we would not take a chance.
I am still working on finding new homes for them the dogs home is a way off yet.
russellsnr
Hoplite

Postby poppy1 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:28 am

http://greekanimalrescue.com/index.htm? ... 4wodfk-Jkg

Getting really worried about your dogs just wish I lived there permanantly I would have had them. Hope some-one helps you soon
poppy1
Oracle

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby nimbus » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:13 am

russellsnr wrote:Hi, Yes I already looked into transporting home but I have two dogs, both large and the cost is far to much to justify taking them back to the UK also we have to take into consideration that we now have three small grandchildren and another due early next year and are not prepaired to take the risk, no matter if a dog looks like butter would melt in it's mouth we would not take a chance.
I am still working on finding new homes for them the dogs home is a way off yet.

Sorry to read that Russell, I guess that your predicament serves to bring home the importance of the "a dog is for life not just Christmas" campaign that will no doubt soon be appearing on our television screens now that the festive season is upon us.

If anyone else is contemplating transporting pets (of any description) this company seems to be geared up to cater for your needs...http://www.Petravelagent.com
nimbus
Oracle

Return to General Discussion