IMPORTING A CAR FROM THE USA

Moving, removals, pets...

IMPORTING A CAR FROM THE USA

Postby NIJU » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:00 pm

Hello everyone, need some help

My husband and I (he is Greek and I am American) would like to purchase a car in the states and bring it over here. We have found some info online, and a little from the embassy here in Athens, but none of it very helpful.
The embassy told me I could file a 'change of residency' with the Greek consulate inthe states, but I am not able to find anymore info on how this works.

We have also thought about bring a car from Germany.

Does anyone have experience or info on either way?

Thanks!
NIJU
Metic

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: IMPORTING A CAR FROM THE USA

Postby sjs » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:29 pm

I would guess that bringing a car from the States is pretty similar to bringing a car from the UK in terms of tax and regulations. Do a search on the forums (and see the articles section in the menu) on this - there are a few discussions on the subject and the general consensus is that it's ridiculously expensive to import a car and change its plates and a lot of bureaucratic hassle as well.

Would everyone else agree with me here?
sjs
Olympian Admin

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby brocstar » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:24 pm

NIJU wrote:My husband and I (he is Greek and I am American) would like to purchase a car in the states and bring it over here. We have found some info online, and a little from the embassy here in Athens, but none of it very helpful.

Hi Niju

dont even think about it!. As the USA is outside the EU (European community) you will not only pay 'registration tax' on the customs calculated 'notional value' of the car. (this is almost always taken as the NEW price of car, however old it is or the new price of the CURRENT model)! about 19% - then you will pay import duty levied by customs on the value of the car (at about 25%). Plus the cost of registration, plates etc, and shipping costs.
It may in theory be possible to do, but it will cost you about 3 times what the car is worth - The Greeks don't want people to import cars and they break European law and pay the fines on test cases to stop people doing it. You may also find that the car is 'held up' at customs for some reason!

Buy a car in Greece - it's cheaper, easier and may help stop you losing your sanity when you deal with customs officialdom!

Stuart
brocstar

Postby KP » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:46 pm

As your husband is a returning Greek, surely he will be entitled to import a duty free car? One of those which end up with red numberplates.........?
Regards

All my posts and opinions are to be taken as being presented with tongue firmly in cheek!
KP
Homeric

Have thanks: 97 times

Postby Assimilate » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:43 pm

I think you can import a car from the states tax exempt if you are a returning Greek using the 'change of residency' the embassy informed you about.

Ill try to find out some more for you, just wanted to post this quick as people misunderstood the situation and their comments are related to 'normal' imports (if there is such a thing)
Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
Assimilate
Oracle

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby NIJU » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:55 pm

We know that to import a car the 'normal' way, without using 'change of residency'/US citizenship will cost us more than the car is worth in Greece, because of the Greek taxes.

To be more specific, what I want to know is by using my US citizenship or the change of residency (having owned the car at least 6 months in the states) will we still have to pay 1) the 19% ΦΠΑ Greek taxes, 2) custom/import tax (which is the worst of all them and they charge this based on the value of the car in Greece)
EXAMPLE:
CAR: MERCEDES-BENZ SLK 350 AUTO 2005
Greek cost: 50000euros US cost: 20000euros(!)
Shipping from OHIO to Peireas 1500euros in 20days
IF you import it without using "US citizenship" taxes = 50% of the Greek value ==> 25000euros + 19% ΦΠΑ taxes!
By using "Change of residency" are you still subject to all the regular import taxes/fees?

Hope this helps to clarify my questions
thank you
NIJU
Metic

Postby kali74b » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:04 am

Assimilate I am interested in any info you can provide.

I am greek-american born in the states but my husband is from greece and moved to the states to be with me. So is it true if he moves back he can bring over a car without paying the taxes?

I would like to know what the procedure is for him to bring stuff back to greece. Thanks in advance.
kali74b
Hoplite

Postby NIJU » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:55 pm

I did a little research on my own as well as sending off emails to both the Greek and American Embassies.

You can get further information about the 'Household Effects Certificate' (ΠΙΣΤΟΠΟΙΗΤΙΚΟ ΜΕΤΟΙΚΕΣΙΑΣ) for repatriation/relocation to Greece from the Greek Consulate website http://www.greekembassy.org/embassy/con ... icle=20573

Regarding importing a car, I received this information from the American Embassy in Athens...
"In order to obtain the information about importing a car to Greece and the tax fees you need to contact the Greek customs office for cars (DIPEA) tel. 210-4627705 and 210-4623615. This office is located at 32 Akti Kondyli Street in Piraeus."
NIJU
Metic

Postby Greg the Gruesome » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:29 am

sjs wrote:...Do a search on the forums (and see the articles section in the menu) on this...

Hello, I'm new to these forums. I apologize if I have overlooked what I am seeking here. (I've already spent a couple of hours browsing.) Is the articles section you mention the one here in the forums? It doesn't seem to contain anything and when I click to view it, I am informed that "You are not authorised to read this forum."

Also, I found this link, http://www.greeceishome.com/kb/kb.asp?fIndex=27, in a post dated July 2, 2005, but it obviously points to a previous incarnation of this site.

As long as I'm posting, I'll tell you why I'm here. My parents were Greek immigrants to the U.S.; they moved back (to Kefallonia, where my father was born and raised) four years ago. Back in the fall of 1985, when the U.S. dollar was very high against other currencies (sigh), he went to Germany and bought a new '85 Audi 80 (he got a good deal because the '86 models were on sale by that time) and drove it to Greece, where he registered it and left it. He took advantage of some sort of break on tax or duty that at the time the Greek government offered to expat Greeks. (He didn't have to repatriate.)

The car is now 23 years old and has been in two accidents, and my sister and I would like him to drive something newer (i.e., safer). Since the U.S. dollar is now very low, my sister came up with the idea of buying a car in the U.S. in order to save some money. (Also, I feel comfortable buying a used car here but I don't feel comfortable having our Dad by a used car in Greece.) She's mentioned the possibility of buying and registering the car in her name, possibly thinking she can do what our Dad did 22½ years ago. (She acquired her Greek citizenship a few years ago.) I have found no mention of the exemption our father took advantage of on the Web, though, so I doubt it's still available.

I don't expect anyone to offer me advice on our specific situation; I just posted it for your amusement. From what I've already read, in several places on the Web, our father should just bite the bullet financially and buy a car in Greece. I would appreciate being told where I can find the articles sjs mentioned, though. Thanks in advance.
Greg the Gruesome

Postby tomorrowsboy7 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:58 am

I have some good info for you if you are still interested.
Mail me directly at tomorrowsboy7@yahoo.com
steven
tomorrowsboy7

Postby yannanda » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:41 pm

I n case you decide to import a car from US Utah used cars for sale's search engine will provide you some interesting offers. However, the used cars market in Germany is the best in Europe (see mobile.de) and you may save the shipping costs since you could easily get to a German used car dealer by yourself.
yannanda

Postby Johnlewis82 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:03 pm

I am facing similar problem. Please let me know the cause for this as I need to import a car to Athence from LA. I bring it as a used car in LA from a car rental company and do not want to trade off this fleet. What are the actual cost of import, does it counts on the original price of the fleet or based on the cost that I have bought it a year back. Also, let me know other facts about importing a car to this country from States.
Johnlewis82

Return to Practicalities