Gym Membership

Slices of life, vignettes, snippets, incidents... Short tales of what happened at the shops, who you met, how things happen, what got you mad and how it was resolved.

Gym Membership

Postby aakman » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:36 pm

Hi Guys,

I just moved to Athens about 10 days ago. I will stay here for 6 months doing research. When I began to look for gyms, I read the comments in this forum about Holmes Gym and decided to check it out.

I was very impressed by their facilities, from the swimming pool to the weight rack to the cardio equipment. It is easily the best and most luxarious gym that I have been to. Not only does it have the most advanced excercise equipment, it is also very spacious. Plus, it does not have the 'see and be seen' atmosphere that I have discovered when I visited the Joe Weider gyms in Korai and Kipseli.

They are a bit pricey but the overall level of comfort and facilities convinced me that I should reward myself, so I decided to become a member.

That's where a problem arose and I would like to ask the advice of the people who have more experience than I do here. It turns out they only have memberships for one year. When I pointed out that I will be gone, living in another country after 6 months, they said that rules are rules and they can not be changed (it was a bit surprising to face such an inflexible stance in Greece!).

What they suggested instead is to buy the year-long membership and then find somebody to transfer it 6 months later. Now, having just arrived here in Greece my social circle is extremely limited. I really do not want to find myself paying for all 12 months and feel like an idiot.

How easy do you think it is to find somebody to trasfer the membership, considering that this is not a cheap gym (about 110 euros per month for the full package)?

Best, Ayhan
aakman
Neophyte

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby sjs » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:56 pm

FInd another gym! Our local one (which is excellent) has daily, monthly, 3-monthly, 6-monthly or yearly rates.
sjs
Olympian Admin

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby nikanne » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:42 pm

I agree with you SJS, most gyms do at least monthly packages with a small registration fee, shop around there are loads of gyms in Athens.
nikanne
Oracle

Postby Jenn » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:17 pm

WOW, What a shocker. definitely find another place, I say! sjs, since yours is good, can I ask, are you near me?I have also been entertaining the idea of a membership but had no idea how to begin where to look,ect.
Jenn
Argonaut

Postby mavro-skilo » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:45 am

do you have a community gym in your area for the locals? some of these are free
mavro-skilo
Argonaut

Postby sjs » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:55 pm

Where are you Jenn? We use one in Ano Glyfada but I think it's a chain - Bene Fit.
sjs
Olympian Admin

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Jenn » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:35 pm

I'm in NeaIonia.
I am still learning where everything is, especially the names of neighborhoods/suburbs, and where they are at,ect.
Just realised I go to Domino's 'neck of the woods' probably twice a week! we pass Londos cafe everytime we go to the theatre, too!

(I like our area mainly because it's not hard to get to anything from here, we aren't too far from any one place it seems. NeaIonia is not posh or anything of course, but decent, and I like it.)

However, I would prefer to move further north, it is a bit more what I am used to, especially with the space issues- as these crowded streets here in NeaIonia are a bit of a nightmare at times! I guess the 'newer' areas have the luxury of making thier streets wider.the rest of us are well, stuck with what we have.[;)]

If it wasn't for my other half's work, we could move to a different section. (but in our situation, it is easier to stay in the same place for this and not be too far.)

(sorry to get off subject folks! trying not to do that so much!)
perhaps I should start a thread about neighborhoods?

<b>Anyway, thank you sjs!
I will see if we have one of those nearby.</b>
Jenn
Argonaut

Postby rheia » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:56 pm

I went to Joe Weider's gym and had a subscription for 3 months, plus a membership fee. Can't remember exactly how much, but not too bad.
rheia
Argonaut

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby aakman » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:56 pm

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the replies. I did check out other gyms and finally decided to get a 3 month membership at Flamingo Gym in Pangrati. It took me a while to decide that I really did not want to worry about if and who I can transfer my membership 6 months down the line. It would have been a constant sourse of uneasiness, so, guess it is much better this way.

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

Ayhan
aakman
Neophyte

Postby dresde » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:58 pm

Hi Everybody,

anybody has a contact number or web address for Joe Weider? I can't find any info online but I swear I saw one nearby, I just cannot find it again :(

Thanks!

Diana
dresde
Metic

Postby watson » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:03 am

Thought I could help you on this since I go to Joe Weider but all my papers have only my branch's details on. Anyway it's 210 5011806. I'm sure they'll be able 2 give u the number of any other branch. Meant to tell aakman that short subscriptions usually aren't worth it e.g. it's 129E for 3months at Joe Weider (basic subscription) and 179E for a year!!! With extras (solarium, massages......)
Did I understand you right aakman, is Holmes 110Euros x 12 months?!
If so I will never again complain about where I go!
watson
Argonaut

Postby dresde » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:19 am

Thanks so much! I called them and it worked! They told me the closest one is in Melissia but I would swear I saw one in Nea Kifissia. Oh well, whatever, maybe I just imagined it :)

Thanks for your help!

Diana.
dresde
Metic

Postby aakman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:19 am

Yep, the full package for Holmes is 110 euros per month with only year-long subscription possible.
aakman
Neophyte

Postby diana » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:50 pm

In case anybody is interested I finally found a Joe Weider in Kifissia, they just moved to a new location, very near to the train station.

Greetings,
Diana.
diana
Metic

Re: Gym Membership

Postby nishibera » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:17 pm

How can I find the insurance company for my gym? Without notifying my gym, I wanted to let their insurance company know that they are putting gym members in jeopardy due to some of the conditions at the facility. The gym has ignored my requests to pay attention to the hazards and I want to let their insurance company know. How do I find out who their insurance company is? Again, I do not want to ask anyone at the gym. Thanks!
nishibera

Next

Return to Daily Life