Laundromats? clothes dryers?

Slices of life, vignettes, snippets, incidents... Short tales of what happened at the shops, who you met, how things happen, what got you mad and how it was resolved.

Laundromats? clothes dryers?

Postby Jenn » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi everyone,
hoping some can help me out here.
Are there any laundry mats laundro-mats (places where you can go do your own washing) here in Athens?
is this something that even exists here?
what about clothes dryers?
desperate!
tired of hanging clothes out on a balcony- I hadn't seen anyone do this since I was a child!
and most people I know stopped doing this back in the 50's LOL
sorry, i'm just frustrated.
for me it's a huge waste of time, and very old fashioned.

trying to find a quicker more modern method to use...(and needless to say, if you stick most things in the dryer, then hang or fold them no need to iron!) something I just am NOT skilled at... and I find it rediculous to iron underwear and other such things as some Greeks do here.
please tell me they do sell clothing dryers here some where...
[:(]

my only option until now has been having the cleaning lady do the ironing when she comes.
not so bad, but, what to do in between, when you just want to wash stuff, and put it away and be done with it?
I just don't have the time to spend all day ironing...
AGGH!
help?
[:D]
Jenn
Argonaut

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Rurpled » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:50 pm

When I used to live in Halandri they told me that there was absolutely nothing nearby of the laundromat type (or even the aftomatastegnokatharistiria type...). The only places are in the city centre. That was a pain in the arse as I had to do all my washing by hand. And when drying, the whole apartment filled up with fungusy stuff when it was wet outside.

You could try in the centre around Ambelokipi as there are apparently some there but unfortunately laundromats are not popular here like they are in US/UK.

Of course there are clothes dryers though - you can buy them in any household appliance store where you get washing machines. (err.. I think.. I know that a mate of mine has one so they do exist)

I, being a single bachelor that has no sense of fashion or personal appearance, don't bother ironing anything and just lay everything out to dry on my balcony. If it's slightly crinkled then so be it. The only time it's a problem is when I have to have a nice shirt with a tie for a wedding or similar.
Rurpled
Argonaut

Postby Mary » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:07 pm

Well, that lets me know that when we do make the move to Greece, my dryer is one of the items going with us - along with our electric blanket [:D]

We went to Aus. to visit husband's family a couple of years ago and his sister did not use a dryer, but hung everything out on the line (must have been a hold-out from when she was growing up). I thought it was charming and old fashioned -- I'm getting the feeling that in Greece I will see a lot of 'charming and old fashioned'. [:p]
Mary
Argonaut

Postby Jenn » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:08 pm

Ah Rurpled!
thank you, you did give me some hope that dryers exist in this country!
We have of course, a washing machine, but no dryer, which I found quite bizzare/impractical.
I know now in the Northern suburbs where there is a lot of new construction the houses are a bit roomier and have most of these things, but when you live in an older, existing building, sometimes space is an issue...like us- we're waiting to build a new house soon, and will definitely install a dryer. keeping my sanity until we do while we live here in the apartment in our family's building, another story! LOL
now, before coming over, I was much like you, AND most of my stuff didn't need to be ironed, anyway!
having a dryer, it was never an issue, or I just went to the dry cleaners
(thank god I found one of those nearby!)
I don't know if I am close enough to the city centre to make it practical to find a place to dry clothes though. too bad.
I'm stuck- not quite as far North as Kifissia, LOL but not downtown to have a lot of the goodies others do...

Mary- it's better just to buy a dryer here after you come.
yes, DO plan to buy one- there is a lot of 'cute' and 'charming'
habits here that wear off the charm VERY quickly after you need to get sh*t done.
HA HA
And some advice- anything eletrical, just buy here after you arrive- it won't work with Euro plugs anyway, and sometimes using converters can be dangerous, let alone, a pain in the butt if you end up with a whole house full of appliances plugged into converters LOL
they have most things here that we use over in the states, anyway.
except hair-dryers are really expensive!
I paid 22 euros for a semi-decent one last week. top of the line (apparently) runs up of 50 euros.
(thought i'd spare you the shock now...)
oh, and upright vacuums seem to be rare- i'm sure they cost an arm and a leg, too.
(the small vacs with the hose seem
to be popular here.)

p.s. it strikes me as really odd that laundo mats aren't popular here, especially with the Greek habit of doing all this type thing themselves, not using dry cleaners much,ect.
maybe I should open one [;)]
Jenn
Argonaut

Postby Rurpled » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:34 pm

Actually a friend of mine considered opening one but he also considered other zany stunts that never made it to fruition. I think your main hurdle would be the spare parts for the large machines as they come from Germany and are not catered for here. As well as the massive initial cost of the machines plus shipping.

This type of thing is usually catered for by the mothers of the people that don't have dryers as far as I have understood.
Rurpled
Argonaut

Postby Domino » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:01 pm

Yes how true I am sure Rurpled. Greece would come to a grinding halt if it wasn't for the mothers (mother-in-laws etc) I am sure.

Understand totally what you mean about driers Jenn. When first settled here drier was on my must-have list. Now it has slipped down a lot - space being the main issue (I'm waiting for that dishwasher!). Had exactly the same issue as you in that felt that having a drier means you just bung it in the drier and then put it away, cutting out the ironing for most stuff. I absolutely HATE ironing and after having 6 years of doing it for the whole family am SICK of it. Hopefully a solution for that little chore will present itself soon. In the meantime am reminded of an acquaintance of mine from California who was completely blase about the whole thing - when told by Greek in-laws that you "don't need a drier here because of the climate" she replied "of course you do, we have driers in California!!". She insisted on it and apart from having a little mishap trying to tumble dry her duvet has not looked back as far as I know. Not sure where she got it but I am sure you will be able to get hold of one from any of the main electrical stores - Radio Korasidi, Kotsovoulos etc.

Mary yes get used to the quaint and old-fashioned way of looking at things. There are LOTS of things that get done here in a "quaint and old-fashioned" way here because people have an extremely strong sense of the "proper" way of doing things and certainly do not feel that there is something to be learned from anyone else. Just look at the toilet system?!! Need I say more?
Domino
Oracle

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby Jenn » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:29 am

oh, oh, oh!
Rurpled and Domino-bravo, truer words have not been spoken!
Greek Dryer = Mom.
"proper" way of doing things...

and bravo to your California friend! LOL I laughed so hard, it's SO true!

you know, They have those stackable combo type washer-dryers, Domino. might be a good option.
No dishwasher! oh, my heart goes out.
dishes and ironing are the two things that I HATE doing, and is absolute torture for me.
Didn't do them before, don't see a reason to begin now, just because I moved here.
(guess i'm just as stubborn as the Greeks)

but for those of us with families/lives/ better things to do/NO Mom,
I guess dryers are the way to go HA HA HA

WILL be installing a dryer in the new house...
along with microwave (bad for the health!)
electric kettle-*gasp*
and of course dishwasher (thank god we have one now)
I think I was the only one in the family who owns a hairdryer and doesn't go to the salon to have my hair done!

ironically, dryers are unnecessary/strange here to many, but cell phones attached to the head like a cancerous growth seem completely normal...hmmmm

ok, I feel better.
sorry for the rant :P
Jenn
Argonaut

Postby john m » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:00 pm

When we first came here it was the same old "odd ball" thing - washing machine in the bathroom & line on the balcony. Didn't like the line on the balcony & scoured the area in vain for a rotary line - no luck around here, most places didn't even know what we were talking about ! Had friends come out & bring us one out from the U.K. in a ski bag, which in itself caused a few raised eyebrows as it was mid summer at the time. When it was first put in the garden, neighbour thought it was a sun shade without the cover! Washing machine - this is still in the bathroom, after living with it, wouldn't have it anywhere else - very handy for throwing the clothes in when going for a shower!
john m
Argonaut

Postby nikanne » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:37 pm

I am one person who has never used a drier!!! either in the uk or here, love the smell of washing being outside!!! Also like having washing machine in bathroom, much handier than in kitchen as washing basket is beside it!! I always though about opening a laundrette in Athens as the students alone would pay for it and fill it I think!! I know a few older gentelmen who take their washing to the dry cleaning shops(these actually have washers and driers in them) and the women wash,m dry and iron their clothes for them. I have a king size duvet which doesn't fit in my washing machine and I always take it to these shops to get washed and spin dried!!.
nikanne
Oracle

Postby Jenn » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:08 pm

Nikanne,
I know what you mean too, I do love fresh-air dried sheets,ect. it's lovely. but with the rest, sometimes I just want it done, so I can get onto other things, it has been raining so much here in Athens, using the line has become a real pain.
for me, it's more of a choice thing.
nice to use the line, but, would like to be able to dry on rainy days/hurried days.
as for the washer being in the bathroom, I felt it was distasteful at first, and I was disapointed.(I am used to having a completely seperate room with the washer/dryer, and ironing board,cabinets,ect.)
but, I see the logic of it now.
in the kitchen?
people put washers in thier kitchens? I think the bathroom is much better then! I feel gratitude now it's in the bathroom!
LOL
I do think though, that when we have the new house built, I will try to arrange a small room just for the washing appliances. I don't care if the builders look at me like a crazy foriegner, either! :P
Nikanne, the dry cleaners have washers/dryers?
that is great! I don't know if the one closest to me does, but I will look into this.(I have one of those big mink blankets from Saudi I will need washed soon- NO WAY is it fitting in the tiny washer we have!)

Thank you ;)
Jenn
Argonaut

Postby BostonGirl » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:52 pm

Hello all. I actually HAVE a dryer and yes, it works just fine. It's a Bosch WTL 5200, I've had it for about 5 yrs. We got it at a regular appliance store. Of course no one here could fathom why I'd possibly need a dryer, but now they see how easy it is for me to do laundry & dry it so quickly, esp in winter, and they all want one.

It's not like the 'old-fashioned' dryers we had back home (US) where there'd be some kind of hose thing that went thru the wall & outside to emit the misty air. These dryers don't have the hose thing, rather they convert the misty air to water which collects in this little compartment which you empty after each use. (We collect this distilled water and use it for the iron & presser, it's great.)

Luckily, my dryer fits right into a little storage closet off the kitchen. As for the washing machines in the bathroom, yes it's convenient but kind of random for a washing machine to be in the bathroom. What I did is disguise my washing machine - when we had the bathroom re-done, I had the carpenter basically make a cabinet with doors and you open the doors... and voila! the washing machine is hidden inside. Pretty cool, huh? So you can't see it at all. It just looks like a cabinet. For those of you in the process of building your homes, this is a good idea if you don't have space for a 'proper' laundry room.

This is the link to dryers from bosch.gr - This one looks a bit different than the one I have, it's probably a newer model.

http://www.bosch-home.gr/gr/produkte/pr ... gory_id=25
BostonGirl
Metic

Postby Domino » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:20 pm

I am sorry but I just have to join this thread on the subject of washers in the bathroom (however superficial we may sound!!). I could not countenance it in our village house (which we designed so had control of plumbing from outset) and so I insisted in space being left in the kitchen for one.

Cue lots of arguments with plumbers/kitchen fitters etc. who thought I was crazy.

Do ANYTHING different here though and they think you're crazy so that was nothing new. For me much easier to get from there to outside to hang out, but more importantly AESTHETICS!! It is under the counter in the kitchen and so does not spoil the whole look of the room. In our bathroom in Athens just sticks out like a sore thumb. Anyway am now sounding anal. Much agree that a dedicated room for all that stuff is a much better solution if you have the space. That way you have also got somewhere to dump all that ironing that you haven't done.
Domino
Oracle

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby nikanne » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:50 pm

Domino, you are definately from UK!!! think its the only place where washers are in the kitchen!! I would love a utility room and hopefully if I ever build a house will have one! The first person I worked for in Maroussi, 20 odd years ago had a brilliant kitchen with a utility room off it, also had a dryer!!! along with sink and loads of cupboards. Most of my friends in UK have these rooms, and also have a pulley drier to put clothes on when it is raining outside!!!
nikanne
Oracle

Postby Jenn » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:53 pm

Boston girl,
thank you for that![:D](I just talked my fiance into buying one for the new place! woo hoo!)that's a decent price, too. since you gave such a good review of yours, I think we'll go with the same.

Domino, you have given me a good laugh as usual.
funny though, how so many of us have stories about this. it's definitely a part of life you can't avoid, and as you say doing ANYTHING different here is thought of as crazy, so we can all jump in that crazy boat together. LOL

you know, kitchen or bathroom is fine, as long as (anal, I know, lol) it is hidden...

like the washer- yes! sore thumb indeed! it just sits there looking ugly like some alien thing that has taken up residence in our toilet!
superficial or not, this topic has given me a lot of amusement! and it's nice to know i'm not the only 'crazy' foreigner who wants a dryer.[;)]
Jenn
Argonaut

Postby BostonGirl » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:09 pm

One more tip Jenn - when you buy a dryer... beware of the plintirio-stegnotirio. It's one machine but it works both as a washing machine AND a dryer. (how, I have no idea) One of my friends got it. At first she was excited, because it's such a space saver but she quickly realized that it was a piece of crap as it never worked properly and didn't last more than a year or two.

Mary - you mention bringing your US appliance over here. Save yourself a lot of trouble and buy appliances here. I know that there are specialty appliance stores in the US that sell appliances with Greek voltage & plugs, specifically for people who want to ship them to Greece - I know people who have done this and they have regretted it. Servicing these US appliances over here is always a problem, not to mention that US appliances are HUGE in comparison to European ones, so if you are trying to fit US appliances into a little European kitchen or bathroom, it can really be a problem, eat up precious space and they end up looking out of place.

I have to say I'm really satisfied with all the appliances I purchased here, esp dishwasher, washing machine & dryer - I think they are 1000 times better than the US appliances, - they have more programs, you can adjust the exact temp (whereas my mother's washing machine back home only has cold-warm-hot --what IS that?! Mine has so many programs & cold, 30, 40, etc - up to 60 and you can adjust the 'strofes' same for my dryer too. My dishwasher is all stainless steel inside whereas the ones in the US are plastic inside)...

Anyway I'm rambling....

So that's my two cents on the appliance issue. :-)
BostonGirl
Metic

Next

Return to Daily Life