When buying have patience.

Forums Living in Greece Property When buying have patience.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jodevizes 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Flat buyers from the UK and America will need a lot of patience when buying in Athens and, I suspect the rest of Greece, especially in August. In the UK and I am pretty certain, the States an estate agents will bite your hand off if you come to them saying you want to buy. The UK guys will put you in their car and drive around showing property then ring you back and will keep ringing.

I have just come back from Athens and it was an eye opener. When you can get through to them, they turn up late, if your lucky. Most are away or if not, the owners are away, taking their keys for a holiday.

Did manage to see a likely one though but will have to go back to see the rest so wish me luck.

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Absolutely Nothing gets done in August throughout the whole of Greece! Good time to visit Athens though, as all the bu**ers are down here !   :negative:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I agree sunny. After the 15 th August three day holiday is when people start getting back and saying kalo himona. Good winter.

September is the best time to start.

altohb
    Participant
    Hoplite

Absolutely Nothing gets done in August throughout the whole of Greece! Good time to visit Athens though, as all the bu**ers are down here ! :negative:

I think a lot of them are here – every August means traffic and driving standards much worse than usual (and that’s saying something).

House/flat buying is an eye opener at any time in Greece – you will need  a lot of patience before you are through, Jo.

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Good time to visit Athens though, as all the bu**ers are down here !   :negative:

Indeed Dodger, we don’t often go up to Athens these days, but a few years ago when we did, all the Athenians we spoke to said visit in August as all the Athenians have gone to the seaside and their villages.

Ah Jo, if only you wanted to buy a nice village house near Kalamata – we could have a nice easy transaction between ourselves !!!   :yes:   :yes:

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Thanks Shazzie but I have to go to Athens. Alas.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.