What TEFL qualification is required for a teaching licence.

Forums Living in Greece Employment What TEFL qualification is required for a teaching licence.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  nimbus 5 years, 3 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #156298

    ikonographics
    Participant
    Neophyte

    Hi
    I’m a doctoral student at the university of Athens with a degree and Masters from the same university, and I’m looking into teaching English(I’m a native speaker from S. Africa). My student residence permit does allow me to get a part time work permit.
    I have a few questions and wonder if anyone here can help me.
    1) Does one need a TEFL qualification to get a teaching licence?
    2) If so, does it have to be a specific qualification (e.g. CELTA). I’ve been looking into doing an online TEFL course (http://www.icalweb.com/cms/ – any good?) because I can’t afford to do the CELTA course, but I don’t know if this will be recognized.
    3) Does anyone know of the exact paperwork needed?

    Thanks in advance! ic_smile

  • #179843

    sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

    I’m sure a current teacher can help with a lot of this, but obviously ICAL advertise on this site and I know they have graduates working here so I’m guessing it’s sufficient. The bottom line is that the school decides.

    GiH Admin

  • #179844

    Manisha
    Participant
    Neophyte

    You do not require a TEFL qualification, although obviously it would help you in a practical and personal way if you have no teaching experience. Legally, you need a degree (any subject) from a recognised institution; recognised, that is, by DIKATSA, which is the section of the Greek Ministry of Education responsible for validating degrees from foreign universities. They are a bit behind the times and you may find that while degrees from, say, Southampton University are recognised, degrees from what used to be Portsmouth Polytechnic are not.

  • #179845

    abbyk
    Participant
    Neophyte

    As Manisha says, you don’t need a TEFL qualification to get a teaching licence. However, if you want a TEFL qualification It might be better to do the CELTA or the equivalent from Trinity rather than something done online. The reason is that both the CELTA and Trinity involve being observed teaching, something online courses lack.

  • #179846

    gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

    @ikonographics wrote:

    Hi
    I’m a doctoral student at the university of Athens with a degree and Masters from the same university, and I’m looking into teaching English(I’m a native speaker from S. Africa). My student residence permit does allow me to get a part time work permit.
    I have a few questions and wonder if anyone here can help me.
    1) Does one need a TEFL qualification to get a teaching licence?
    2) If so, does it have to be a specific qualification (e.g. CELTA). I’ve been looking into doing an online TEFL course (http://www.icalweb.com/cms/ – any good?) because I can’t afford to do the CELTA course, but I don’t know if this will be recognized.
    3) Does anyone know of the exact paperwork needed?

    Thanks in advance! ic_smile

    Ok I can help you out here (also South African)…the problem is that you finished your degree at a Greek university which means the only you’re going to be able to get a teaching licence in Greece will be to write one of the proficiency exams (Cambridge or Michigan) by doing that you ca get “eparkia” and then your teaching licence. Now had you gotten your degree in South Africa or any other English speaking country things would have been much easier, all you need in Greece to get “eparkia” to teach English is a degree in any field from an English speaking university. CELTA and TEFL won’t get you “eparkia” and you really don’t need them to teach English in Greece

    Hope that helped

    Greg

    PS I finished my degree at Wits so it was fairly easy for me, it was a matter of sending my degree along with a transcript of my courses to the Ministry of Education

  • #179847

    peterbeech
    Participant
    Neophyte

    Anglo-Hellenic now run TEFL courses at three locations in Greece: Athens, Corinth and Santorini – see http://www.tefl.gr. These are face-to-face courses with ten hours’ of observed teaching practice.
    Although it’s not necessary to have a TEFL certificate in order to get a licence, few schools would employ you without one.

  • #179848

    KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

    The good news is that although you might need lots and lots of paperwork to teach English, you don’t need to be able to speak English to teach English in most language schools in Greece from what I’ve seen! :roll:
    Well, at least I don’t understand much of the English spoken by a lot of so called English teachers of Greek origin! ic_confused
    Right…. I’ll just get my tin hat then and be off before the flack begins! :mrgreen:

  • #179849

    kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

    You’ve done it now KP! We’re doomed, all doomed I tell ye…………

  • #179850

    gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

    @KP wrote:

    The good news is that although you might need lots and lots of paperwork to teach English, you don’t need to be able to speak English to teach English in most language schools in Greece from what I’ve seen! :roll:
    Well, at least I don’t understand much of the English spoken by a lot of so called English teachers of Greek origin! ic_confused
    Right…. I’ll just get my tin hat then and be off before the flack begins! :mrgreen:

    Totally agree!!!…and it results in kids saying things like ” Tourists come to Greece for its beautiful ‘bitches’ !!!”

  • #179851

    Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

    @gregstav wrote:

    @KP wrote:
    The good news is that although you might need lots and lots of paperwork to teach English, you don’t need to be able to speak English to teach English in most language schools in Greece from what I’ve seen! :roll:
    Well, at least I don’t understand much of the English spoken by a lot of so called English teachers of Greek origin! ic_confused
    Right…. I’ll just get my tin hat then and be off before the flack begins! :mrgreen:

    Totally agree!!!…and it results in kids saying things like ” Tourists come to Greece for its beautiful ‘bitches’ !!!”

    What’s that on your lap in your avatar? ic_smile

  • #179852

    KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

    @Ian wrote:

    …… What’s that on your lap in your avatar? ic_smile

    Forsooth! Tis a beautiful Greek bitch! :mrgreen:

  • #179853

    nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

    @KP wrote:

    @Ian wrote:
    …… What’s that on your lap in your avatar? ic_smile

    Forsooth! Tis a beautiful Greek bitch! :mrgreen:

    Brilliant Paulus ! you have obviously been paying attention at those British humour lessons to which you attended 😆

    head1301225068.gif[/attachment:2h5u14eq]

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.