What did you have for lunch/dinner today?

Forums Living in Greece Daily Life What did you have for lunch/dinner today?

This topic contains 133 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  kolofarthos 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

I need inspiration because I find myself cooking the same old foods day after day and thought that if you all posted what you were cooking and eating it, it may inspire me…….so let me see your menu.

First in a series of “bring the forum back to life” topics

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

You can afford to eat “day after day”???!!! 😯
    We penniless paupers are lucky to eat once a week! And if we were eating most days and it was the same thing ‘day after day’ we’d be delighted! :angry: Too many of you blasted capitalists on this forum! : Wait until the revoloution of us peasants very soon! We’ll be looking for more ways to cook your overfed carcasses as there’ll be too much of you all! :angry:

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@KP wrote:

You can afford to eat “day after day”???!!! 😯
    We penniless paupers are lucky to eat once a week! And if we were eating most days and it was the same thing ‘day after day’ we’d be delighted! :angry: Too many of you blasted capitalists on this forum! : Wait until the revoloution of us peasants very soon! We’ll be looking for more ways to cook your overfed carcasses as there’ll be too much of you all! :angry:

Never met any of the forumites in person but I’ve read some stabs at some of them pointing out there actually a bit too much of them. πŸ˜•

Anyway, these are lean times, we’ll all be forced by our financial statii (statae, statusses???) to diet down to standards acceptable by paupers like yourself. :nod: :nod:

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hmmmmmmmm..this wasn’t exactly what I had in mind guys..I was hoping for something simple using the words “Today for lunch/dinner I ate…….”
    The only word that was vaguely relevant was the word “carcass”.. now building on that..What kind of carcass are we talking about and was it roasted whole over the spit or cut into individual portions, each being prepared in a different yet delicious way?

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Well, to return to the initial question:

We had RR (roast rabbit) for lunch on board.

Actually I’m not 100% sure it wasn’t RRR (roast roof-rabbit), bu never mind, it was tasty enough. :nod:

P.S.: what was it again, did cats have flat rib-bones and rabbits have round ones?
    Or the other way around? πŸ˜• πŸ˜•

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Late Brunch:

Sausage, Bacon, Fried Eggs, Gigantes, Bifteki, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Toast & Marmite, Builder’s tea & Sunday newspaper.

Oh Yeah!

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

@DayGloScooter wrote:

Late Brunch:

Sausage, Bacon, Fried Eggs, Gigantes, Bifteki, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Toast & Marmite, Builder’s tea & Sunday newspaper.

Oh Yeah!

Ahhhhhhhhhh an English fry up with a Greek touch….perfect and the ideal Sunday brunch…Thanks DayGlo now I have my menu for next Sunday πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ reb_bravo

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Well being Brits you would expect nothing else but…… Chicken Vindaloo! Home made of course & eaten late, under the stars & accompanied with plain boiled rice, poppadoms & a selection of home made chutneys. A sweet to follow of a yoghurt & fresh orange sorbet.

JS
    Participant
    Neophyte

Currently eating tomatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    Being a Brit, of course, the dinner tomatoes were cooked with garlic, ginger
    chilli and spices. Yummy!

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

chilli and spices.

Hang on a minute….now where did I get the preconceived idea that Brits detested anything with garlic??

Ok I must admit my knowledge of British cuisine is currently influenced by a TV series I’m watching…”James Herriot” so I guess it’s slightly outdated (1940’s) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

Today, I will be mostly eating chicken.

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

It was souvlakia, salad and of course chips, and here I am cooking the chips ( my signature dish) πŸ˜‰

Oh and a copious amount of white wine to wash it down :nod:

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@nimbus wrote:

It was souvlakia, salad and of course chips, and here I am cooking the chips ( my signature dish) πŸ˜‰

Oh and a copious amount of white wine to wash it down :nod:

[oversized photo]

😯 😯

You didn’t know how to reduce the size of the piccie or were you afraid you wouldn’t fit in it if it were any smaller?

:mrgreen:

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

and here I am cooking the chips ( my signature dish)

Well I’m suitably impressed, stunned, awed ……it takes a brave brave man to fry chips without wearing a shirt :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :)) :))

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

I’d recognise that back anywhere !…. Just itching to tear that bow apart ! :))

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

Well I fired up the barbie (it’s gas so it’s no major feat) and barbecued some delicious pancetta (known as pork belly to the rest of the world), boiled baby potatoes with butter and grated cheese and a refreshing spinach salad with a balsamic vinegar honey mustard dressing and of course ice cold beers to wash it all down :)) Very yummy :)

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

On the road, so packed lunch.
    Sandwiches: Chilli egg mayonnaise, with Lidl dry cured ham, and Chicken breast with curry paste & Branston pickle, in Jackson’s Wholemeal sliced bread from AB.
    Accompaniments: Cherry tomatoes, cauliflower & broccoli florets, melon, sliced pear, dates, dried figs and Brazil nuts (because Mrs DGS read that they protect your prostate!)

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@gregstav wrote:

and here I am cooking the chips ( my signature dish)

Well I’m suitably impressed, stunned, awed ……it takes a brave brave man to fry chips without wearing a shirt :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :)) :))

LOL I am not that brave if you look again you will see that I have the wifes pinafore on hence Plogers reference to the bow πŸ˜‰

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

reading about all this fried food you all eat, as well as unhealthy pork, pancetta, etc, and sunroger’s unhealthy lustful obsession about tearing off nimbum’s pinny from behind, I’d be amazed if you lot have more than a few more years left between you all, despite dgs’s brazil nuts to protect his prostrate which has no chance in the battle against all that fatty and fried food! :mrgreen: Seeing nimpump’s well rounded imitation of an overflowing muffin proves my point! :mrgreen: Chips are his ‘signature dish’? 😯
    Though I must say that if you all poured copious amounts of ouzo down your throats with all that fatty food, it might just go a small way towards melting down the fats! :roll:
    Perhaps we should begin another thread making guesses at who’s going to be the next amongst us all to keel over and off this mortal coil? :mrgreen: That would be a fun one to discuss! πŸ˜†
    Who’s going to be brave enough to start it? reb_bravo

JS
    Participant
    Neophyte

Brits don’t like garlic? Where did you hear that?!

We love it, and its good for the heart, so we can eat as many chips as we like!

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

you will see that I have the wife’s pinafore on

Cough cough hmmmm yes….I was trying to be discreet and not bring that particular detail up…it kind of obliterates my “real man” theory doesn’t it?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

Brits don’t like garlic? Where did you hear that?!

I suppose I assumed that the average Brit family eats traditional English food, you know like roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, cottage pie, pork pies, bangers and mash,that sort of thing in the same way that the average Greek family eats traditional Greek food, with only the minority trying out dishes from other countries.
    Garlic doesn’t really feature in traditional English cooking so I figured that most people wouldn’t be fond of it. :)) :))

Now that I think of it, the amount of curry consumed in the UK blows my theory to hell doesn’t it??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

What I really really really miss is fish and chips with salt and vinegar, wrapped up in newspaper…even though I know they don’t do that anymore, it’s just a flashback to my youth !!!!

πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

On the subject of shuffling off the old mortal coil… Not of eating anything untoward of course ! But of sheer exhaustion & the Earths gravitational pull !
    Having been doing a Tennessee Williams for the past two days, This morning I tripped over the pot of paint & ended clinging for dear life to the edge of the roof – The paint was not so fortunate however & it’s truly amazing at the coverage of three litres of paint when dropped from a hight of approx twenty feet…. A pity it doesn’t go that far when it’s being applied to the wall ! However – After several very large lunch time G&T’s , a Ploughman’s & three hours kip, I can advise being suitably refreshed, but in dire need of a few cold ones prior to my typicaly British evening meal of Cantonese sweet & sour pork.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@sundodger wrote:

On the subject of shuffling off the old mortal coil… Not of eating anything untoward of course ! But of sheer exhaustion & the Earths gravitational pull !
    Having been doing a Tennessee Williams for the past two days, This morning I tripped over the pot of paint & ended clinging for dear life to the edge of the roof – The paint was not so fortunate however & it’s truly amazing at the coverage of three litres of paint when dropped from a hight of approx twenty feet…. A pity it doesn’t go that far when it’s being applied to the wall ! However – After several very large lunch time G&T’s , a Ploughman’s & three hours kip, I can advise being suitably refreshed, but in dire need of a few cold ones prior to my typicaly British evening meal of Cantonese sweet & sour pork.

Well, Paintsplodger, that’s all very informative! :nod:

I’m so glad you’ve lifted me from the dungeon of ignorance regarding your plans for supper tonight I could cry for joy! :crybaby: :crybaby:

JS
    Participant
    Neophyte

Paintsplodger! Ha ha!! πŸ˜†

JS
    Participant
    Neophyte

Greg, curry is now the official British diet. No one eats that shepherds’ pie stuff anymore.
    We were rescued from death by culinary boredom by immigrants, and I for one am very grateful. reb_bravo

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

I am more than happy to have lifted your day Ian… My life is now complete !
    just wait until I get around to my recipes containing the planets most endangered species ! :)) :mrgreen:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Pray tell more Sunny boy! You usually are very specific with such details especially in your recipes.

Paint colour:
    Paint type (solvent/water based):
    Your Spiti must surely be painted 5 times over by now! So who’s Spiti were you painting
    Were they paying your insurance?
    How much did you earn?
    Do you have children?
    What are their names and sexes?
    I know a cousin who can clean up your paint and do a really good job on your Spiti at a very cheap cost…

Oh, sorry! Nearly slipping into Greek mode there! reb_popo

I guess that as you are no longer fit to climb as once you might have done before the mast then KP will not be getting you to paint his penthouse suite! He wouldn’t be so cruel for such a dangerous fellow even though you might do it for ‘free’ – just to keep your skill up you know!

..but really please you did not come cropper off your roof! Good job you had the liquid first aid kit to hand! Perhaps next year in my dotage I lend a hand, just for the odd ouzo and G&T or two, you know! Ah then, I must admit to falling off a ladder myself and it is no joke!…… πŸ˜†

As a colleague at work says:-
    “DIY?

Don’t Involve Yourself!”

..and today was simple Scottish fare.
    Shreddies, tea and toast;
    Leftover roast chicken and salad sarnies on crusty home made bread and a few Kalamata Olives;
    Brizoles Arni for a bit more of Greek influence.

Not a pie in sight!!

and Gregs. Garlic grows well in the UK, wild and cultivated, so is not really new to the palate, just we forgot for a while 8)

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

in fact Grego…. The largest garlic growing area in the UK is just across from where I used to live! It’s the Isle of Wight, just off the south coast! They even have a really good major garlic festival every year with lots of garlicy nosh to stick into your nosebag! :mrgreen:
    Just in case you or anybody else is interested in attending….
    http://www.garlic-festival.co.uk/ :nod:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

<hi guys, this is a quickie and full of typos as cant see the fricking keyboard in this shop and dont have my glasses..<am on <ios island, no computer, was in <athens, computer but no wireless, not even with clever tries as suggested by gregstav….grrrr life sucks without internet. <anyway for what its worth, very windy, water cold, <i think i prefer the mainland than the islands for swimming. <miss you lot…after my mail this was the first site <i opened but no time to read the posts…booohoooo<<<<1 this computer is foreign and the letters are all in the wrong place so put up with it please, that number one was an exclamation mark.'
    hope to be back online soon sometime<<<<<<<<111 love to you all xxxxxx

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

athens, computer but no wireless, not even with clever tries as suggested by gregstav.

Ummm…my suggestion to go to a Flocafe or Star bucks????

Nahhhh I think she’s just making excuses and avoiding us!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

It was paella this evening ….tasted better than the photo looks πŸ˜›

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

Nimbus that looks mouthwatering…yummy yummy :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Nimbus…. that paella looks freakishly like it has thousands of maggots crawling around! 😯
    Are you sure that the meat was fresh? :roll:

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Ah yes !… Now we are getting somewhere – a niceley shot photo showing the deep frozen prawns (Penaeus spp) Brand name “La Caldera” sold in 1kg bags from Liddl at a very reasonable 10.99 euros per bag. Prawns are supplied deveined & raw without head but still in shell…. I see that your preference is to leave the shell on for that slight crunch. A good effort & take an 8/10 for presentaion at least :)) :mrgreen:

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

Hey thanks Ploger, thats praise indeed coming from a master chef like you, I am quite overwhelmed ! and yes you got the ingredients spot on.

As for you KP well….less said the better :

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

Forgot to mention, deep frozen prawns (Penaeus spp) Brand name “La Caldera” sold in 1kg bags from Liddl were on offer last Tuesday at 7.99 euro an absolutely sparkling deal πŸ˜›

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@nimbus wrote:

Forgot to mention, deep frozen prawns (Penaeus spp) Brand name “La Caldera” sold in 1kg bags from Liddl were on offer last Tuesday at 7.99 euro an absolutely sparkling deal πŸ˜›

that’s coz they’re crawling with maggots! How far their sell by date was this bargain? :roll:

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@KP wrote:

that’s coz they’re crawling with maggots! How far their sell by date was this bargain? :roll:

Its long grained rice you plonker! but there you go how could we expect you to know that, you probably don’t know where the kitchen is in your luxury penthouse, tell you what ask your butler to instruct your caterers to prepare some for you, it would be a nice change from your usual haggis n chips :unibrow:

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@nimbus wrote:

@KP wrote:

Its long grained rice you plonker! but there you go how could we expect you to know that, you probably don’t know where the kitchen is in your luxury penthouse, tell you what ask your butler to instruct your caterers to prepare some for you, it would be a nice change from your usual haggis n chips :unibrow:

Ooooh! A tad touchy this morning aren’t we! :roll:
    At least my haggis doesn’t have maggots in it!
    And I wouldn’t dream of having CHIPS with haggis you culinary heathen! ic_shock Mashed potatoes, preferably with mashed turnip, is served with haggis! :mrgreen:
    Now go and put your pinny on and play on your plastic yacht you posh yachtie! Trying to offset your secret guilt over being an island home owner with your own yacht moored outside 😯 Especially when I don’t even have a stable, let alone a home! :(
    Wish I could afford 7.95 for a pack of prawns….. even if they are crawling with maggots! :mrgreen:

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Read the posts kp… Prawns are 7.99 not 7.95 ! Good grief why do we bother eh? Thanks Nimpoo still are that same price in Kalamata today – Yipee bought 3 bags :))

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

Today, I will be mostly eating fish.

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

Leftover roast chicken shredded mixed with mayo mustard in a nice fresh roll with lettuce, tomato and onion ☺☺and of course a cold beer πŸ˜€

Not really hungry today! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

Today, I will be mostly eating muesli

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Retro style today!

LIDL had toastie makes for Β£6.99 so that’s today sorted!

Let’s see, Cheese, red onion, tomato, pickle, ham, lettuce, peppers, anchovie, crisps, chillies, cucumber, …….lashing of salted butter, olives,….

Look out heart reb_popo

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@kolofarthos wrote:

Retro style today!

LIDL had toastie makes for Β£6.99 so that’s today sorted!

Let’s see, Cheese, red onion, tomato, pickle, ham, lettuce, peppers, anchovie, crisps, chillies, cucumber, …….lashing of salted butter, olives,….

Look out heart reb_popo

A toastie for 8.40 euro???!!! ic_shock
    I can go out and have a real Greek meal at the local ‘kouzina’ for 5 euro!!! :mrgreen:
    Eat your heart out kolofart! …… Oh, so you are!!! :mrgreen:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Doh! Found out! 😳

Should have said Toastie Maker!!

oooo what’s that pain in the chest!

Must come to Kalamata and find all these cheap gourmet eateries!!

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Tonight I shall be eating mostly… Home made steak & kidney pie – Quite a lot of it actually ! :)) :mrgreen:headmisc. 015.jpg[/attachment:2kjkz9yg]

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

@sundodger wrote:

Tonight I shall be eating mostly… Home made steak & kidney pie – Quite a lot of it actually ! :)) :mrgreen:headmisc. 015.jpg[/attachment:xjyny2ua]

Darn those look good :mrgreen: If petrol prices weren’t so high, I’d be tempted to take a drive tomorrow and come visit….I’d bring wine/ice cold beers and desert of course, but then again I could probably make and eat steak and kidney pie for a year with the money the trip would cost!!!!!!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Wow Sunnyboy…. I definately would drive over with the beers and wines for a taste of those, no matter what the petrol price! 😯

Sunny, inflicting that pic on us without us being able to taste it is cruel and unusual punishment! :angry: What have we done to upset you? πŸ˜₯

Wheezer
    Participant
    Neophyte

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@Wheezer! wrote:

Clearly you’re a man of few words Wheezer! :mrgreen:

Wheezer
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thought better of it after commenting…….

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@Wheezer! wrote:

Thought better of it after commenting…….

T.. t.. t.. too late!

I already read what you wrote! 😯

But… I’m sure we can get to an agreement! πŸ‘Ώ

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Oh well done Wheezer! Some fun at last! :mrgreen:
    Now will somebody tell me what it was all about? ic_confused

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@sundodger wrote:

Tonight I shall be eating mostly… Home made steak & kidney pie – Quite a lot of it actually ! :)) :mrgreen:.

Your Pastry looks a touch on the hard side….I recommend you read this site…. http://www.helpwithcooking.com

All right calm down a little constructive criticism never hurt any one, just trying to be helpful :roll:

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@KP wrote:

Oh well done Wheezer! Some fun at last! :mrgreen:
    Now will somebody tell me what it was all about? ic_confused

Well KP Wheezer posted something and then thought better of it, β€œThought better of it after commenting….…” but then Ian claimed to have read the post, β€œT.. t.. t.. too late! Already
    read what you wrote, but I am sure we can get to an agreement!
    But if we look at the posting times Wheezer posted and deleted at 21.30 hrs on Sat, Ian replied at 0.1.49 on Sun morning.
    Seems we have a combination of Wheezers whimsicalness and Ian’s off the wall humour, a strange mixture you will agree I am sure. :nod:

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

My pastry hard ? !!! :angry: I’ll have you know that my hand crafted, dabbed with butter & folded four times flaky pastry was like an Angels kiss to the tongue…. Pity it was a Devil to the guts though ! Oh well you didn’t miss much & I am in the unfortunate position now, of having to devour around 4 kilos of snake & pygmy all by myself ! :))

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I think that your pastry looks exactly the way I like it…..
    AND I’m willing to save you from yourself by helping you out with the 4kg of snakes and pygmy pie! :mrgreen: No need to thank me…. that’s what oppos are for! :mrgreen:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Someone comments Sunny boys thingy is hard and he denies it?
    reb_popo reb_popo

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Quite right too !… Only thing hard around here is my arteries ! :mrgreen:

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

Tempted to comment but sjs is back and lurking somewhere so I won’t risk it :unibrow: :unibrow: :unibrow: :unibrow:

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Well tonight was what would loosley be called “Greek Fusion” type fayre…
    Chicken livers/hearts braised together with onion, tomato, red & green peppers, baby aubergine & potato – not forgetting the olive oil & garlic & accompanied with mushrooms grilled in oil & lemon… Worked quite well :))headCopy of misc. 020.jpg[/attachment:30mbnbo1]

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

Chicken Soovlakeea and Sweet Corn an inexpensive and easy meal, marinade the chicken in Soy sauce Origano herb and a tea spoon of Honey…marvelous, and you could even cook it on a deluxe state of the art gas BBQ on the spacious balcony of a sixth floor penthouse apartment whilst sitting in a hand carved marble jacuzzi somewhere down there in the South of the Peloponnese :nod:

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

well, you had an early lunch today nimpie….. ic_confused

As for ‘inexpensive’!!! ic_shock
    To a gentleman of means (otherwise known as a ‘bloated plutocrat’) such as yourself, that may seem ‘inexpensive’! However, to a professional pauper such as I, the cost of real meat AND fresh corn is prohibitive! Unless of course I’m lucky enough to get out early enough in the morning and find the overnight roadkill before too many cars have passed over it and ensured that I can only use it for mince! And I can sometimes sneak into farmer Costas fields late at night and liberate a few corn cobs! :mrgreen: You see? It all takes a lot of planning and lack of sleep! :roll:

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@KP wrote:

well, you had an early lunch today nimpie….. ic_confused :roll:

It was yesterday :)

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

Lunch today…..

A recipe for braised squirrel
    Ingredients
    One squirrel per person
    Tablespoon of duck fat
    5 round shallots, peeled and left whole
    4 rashes of pancetta, cubed
    Porcini, soaked for 30 mins in hot water
    Garlic and chicken stock, salt and pepper
    Method
    Put the duck fat in a large casserole dish, brown the shallots, add the squirrel (whole or jointed) and the bacon. Brown the meat, and mix in a glass of white wine. Reduce. Add the soaked porcini. Reduce. Add the chicken stock and cover and braise in a gentle oven (no higher than 150C). Check after an hour and add a little water if drying out. After two and a half hours, take a sharp knife and test the meat. If the juices run clear it is ready to serve with mash and chestnuts.

I recommend a nice Chardonnay to accompany this excellent meal πŸ˜›

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

sounds tasty nimps…. but will fresh road kill do instead of whole/intact squirrel? And if it is acceptable, is the cooking time less as the squirrel will have been tenderised on the road? :roll:
    And if we can’t afford white wine to cook it with or a Chardonnay to accompany it, would it be okay to just use some squashed grapes? ic_confused

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

will fresh road kill do instead of whole/intact squirrel?

Yes in fact rat is ideal you can hardly tell the difference.

And if it is acceptable, is the cooking time less as the squirrel will have been tenderised on the road? :roll:

You may reduce the cooking time according to your taste some like their meat a little rarer, it is important with road kill to make sure that all traces of tar macadam and gravel have been removed.

And if we can’t afford white wine to cook it with or a Chardonnay to accompany it, would it be okay to just use some squashed grapes?

Yes that would be fine, in fact if you hang around at the rear of LIDL at the weekend squashed and near fermenting grapes can be salvaged from the dumpsters, they are a perfect substitute for the financially challenged πŸ˜‰

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

See? Thank you nimpussy…. something for every pocket here!
    I never believe them when they say that you must be posh snob as a yacht owner! Clearly you’ve proved otherwise with your tips! :mrgreen:
    Right, I’m off to Lidl…….

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Sorry…. Feel as though I must add a comment here ! “Dumpster” is a bit too much of an Americanism for my liking, so could we please use “Gash bin” Which I feel is more suitable for the more refined kind of reader on this board ?

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

You say tomato we say tomato, on Lefkada we say Dumpster ! :nod:

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

Chicken Curry and chips 8)

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Chicken curry and CHIPS???!!! 😯 Chicken curry and CHIPS???!!! ic_shock
    I saw the pic of the lovely looking chicken curry, and then noticed the chips!!! ic_confused How could you do that to such a lovely chicken curry? ……….. No rice to soak up the chips? ……. If you must have potatoes with curry, at least have mash! ……..still, that curry looks lovely!

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

@KP wrote:

Chicken curry and CHIPS???!!! 😯 Chicken curry and CHIPS???!!! ic_shock
    I saw the pic of the lovely looking chicken curry, and then noticed the chips!!! ic_confused How could you do that to such a lovely chicken curry? ……….. No rice to soak up the chips? ……. If you must have potatoes with curry, at least have mash! ……..still, that curry looks lovely!

The chips are just an excuse so that he can wear his pinafore while cooking :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously though I love the food photos Nimbus :))

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Mmmm…. Frying pans are alluminium non stick from Liddl – Prefer the cast iron “Skillett” type myself…. Chips have either got Oregano on them, or your oil needs changing ! :)) – Curry looks o.k. :mrgreen:

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@sundodger wrote:

Mmmm…. Frying pans are alluminium non stick from Liddl – Prefer the cast iron “Skillett” type myself…. Chips have either got Oregano on them, or your oil needs changing ! :)) – Curry looks o.k. :mrgreen:

LOL … if only the old television series Mastermind were still in existence, I could well see you in that leather chair the spotlight in your eyes and the late great MagnΓΊs MagnΓΊsson gravely saying ” sundodger, you have three minutes to answer questions on your specialist subject, the products of LIDDL, your time starts now.

About the chips yes you are spot on, I usually sprinkle a small amount of Oregano on them and a pinch of Turmeric for a little added flavour and colour.

But what about curry what an amazing dish, I wonder if any of the more mature members of the forum remember the “Vesta” dehydrated curry’s way back in the dark ages, we had great parties back in those student days…. a Vesta curry complimented by a Watneys Party Seven, what more could we want πŸ˜›

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Ah !… A sad fact of life Nimbus – Came here to retire in the sun & do all the things I ever wanted. So much time now to wander forever the isles of Liddl – A kinda non Dutch “Flying Dutchman” ! :)) My dear wife is however managing to slowly wean me off such things, but bare with me as sudden withdrawl could cause serious damage to a person of my fragile disposition :))
    Vesta curries now you’re talking…. Even now I’m tempted to reach for the raisins when making a curry – Ah the memories! Was a bit of a sophisticate with the party seven though – I had a Sparkletts beer tap to affix & thus draught on tap whenever…. Also a weapon of mass distruction – Health & safety eat ya heart out ! :)) :mrgreen:

Pappa Ouzo
    Participant
    Neophyte

Forget about the currries give me good old fish & chips any day, but best eaten open in good old newspaper with lashings of salt and vinegar
    Yum Yum

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Crikey! I’d forgotten all about the old ‘Vesta’ curries! Lost count of how many of those I cooked up when living alone in my 20’s and 30’s! :)) I do remember that I’d always try to ‘spice up’ the Vesta and find ways of making it more interesting! :mrgreen:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Did you ever try that famous Christmas Curry?

You know, the hot one, Swan Vesta…. πŸ˜† Strikingly good!

I remember going walking and camping and living off dried ready meals, usually all mixed together whatever the type. Vesta was a favourite, but I wouldn’t touch it now (if it is still made) having eaten real Indian food. Just no comparison!

gregstav
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Pappa Ouzo wrote:

Forget about the currries give me good old fish & chips any day, but best eaten open in good old newspaper with lashings of salt and vinegar
    Yum Yum

Yummmmmmmy Oh yes!!!….. the closest I’ve come to it here was fried bacalao and the Greeks thought I was bloody loony when I asked for vinegar and proceeded to douse my fish and patates with it!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

:nod: OMG !!! Vesta beef curry – instant memories of being 18, in the RAF and the weekend duty officer at the Dog Section.
    About the only time I ever cooked for myself then, and it was ALWAYS Vesta curries.

Thanks so much for that memory jog, and all the others that then resurfaced !! :))

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@sundodger wrote:

Was a bit of a sophisticate with the party seven though – I had a Sparkletts beer tap to affix & thus draught on tap whenever…. Also a weapon of mass distruction – Health & safety eat ya heart out ! :)) :mrgreen:

Gosh yes, remember those but never had one, to tell the truth the party seven cans never lasted long enough to need one.

But did I ever tell you about the time when a few of the lads liberated for want of a better word a keg of Double Diamond draft bitter from the rear of the local pub and took it to a party, well of course we did not have a proper tap with which to pour the beer so the only thing to do was hammer a wedge into the ball bearing valve, I can remember to this day standing almost ankle deep in Double Diamond in the kitchen of someones flat, as far as I can recall it was a fantastic party :nod:

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Wow !… All this talk of curry & then Shazzie’s reference to the Dog sectoin just brought back SO many memories… Vesta is fine – But just can’t beat the real thing !!!headWuffWuff.jpg[/attachment:38a2tos0]

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

Good job KP didn’t post this one as there’s no parachute in sight. :p

Prepare for incoming flak !! :nod:

8)

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

Shock horror! words fail me, Sunflogger’s posting is disgusting,where is the Personal hygiene where are the Protective Clothing.

All staff working in the food preparation area must wear suitable, clean clothing.

Clothing must be kept clean and should be changed and laundered regularly in order to protect the food you are preparing.

I can see no sign of any of this in this totally abominable photograph…disgusting :roll:

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

Is the lady in question called “Bwenda” and recently relocated to Canada :unibrow:

More flak coming…………

8)

Willan
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi……….

chilli and spices.

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@Willan wrote:

Hi……….

chilli and spices.

Hello Willan, welcome to the forum, such nostalgia, scanning through this long forgotten thread brought back such memories of a halcyon time an era before the coming of she that spreads alarm and despondency amoungst us, yes indeed there was a life before the dreaded Poppy, a time when the members were happy to discus the simple things in life like cooking and shopping in Lidles.Enjoy your tomatoes they are realy good for you, an inexpensive nourishing meal :nod:

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

speaking of that…. it’s clear that the crisis has taken over as sunnypodge hasn’t given us any recipes or food pics for months! Perhaps he’s sat in that quiet village of his, forgotten and unable to afford to cook or eat and wasting away to a fraction of his former, rather robust self? πŸ˜• Alas poor sunpodger, I knew him well! No longer able to refer to him as sunpodge, but sunslim! :(

yachtmati
    Participant
    Neophyte

breakfast : koulouri
    lunch : ham and cheese sandwich
    dinner : green curry with pork and saffron rice

yachtmati
    Participant
    Neophyte

dinner

headdinner.jpg[/attachment:3flnxqqr]

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Breakfast…tea and raisin bread toast. Lunch zilch except for tasting the bubs soup and pretending to eat it, plus a slice of beef. I am starting to look anorexic!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Yachtmati…. those look like real chilli peppers with a real bite! Where did you find those? I find it incredibly difficult to find hot chilli peppers in Kalamata and took to growing my own in a pot, but still don’t have them all year round!

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

No points for observation for you then kp ! Kalamata is awash with the little beauties :))
    Blistering hot these ones !!!

yachtmati
    Participant
    Neophyte

the shop is called

Multi Trading Ltd.
    Notara 75, Piraeus
    between sotiros dios and bouboulinias

they have many of the components for indian or thai cooking

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

Pah! who need fresh chillies, we now have here on Lefkada a Brit shop where we can purchase “Patak’s” curry sauces, ok so they cost about twice as much as in the UK but they take all the hassle out of making curry, here is one that I made last night I call it my Curry casserole.
    sliced chicken breast,onion,ginger,garlic,desert spoon of “Patak’s” madras curry sauce fried in oil for about ten mins, transfer to casserole dish add tomatoes chopped and mushrooms tomato paste and chicken stock cube (1/2 cup) slow cook in oven for forty five mins at 150 c fry potato slices in oil and oregano until lightly browned then place on top of the curry for the last fifteen mins of cooking, I commend it to the forum :)

PS a desert spoon of cooking cream and perhaps the same of cornflour gives added creaminess.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@sundodger wrote:

No points for observation for you then kp ! Kalamata is awash with the little beauties :))
    Blistering hot these ones !!!

which shop sunny?

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Well that’s Nimpoo gone down in my estimation

desert spoon of Pataks madras curry sauce

. :roll: (and not an apostrophe in sight!)

That’ll not make a proper curry sauce you’ll need at least three desert spoonfuls! 😳

and KP too. Here I thought he was the oracle of Kalamata knowing all things purchasing on a shoestring! :)

Glad to see some others have done more research and not given up so easily! reb_bravo

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Went for the Scottish traditional healthy option today,

Venison sausage and bacon sandwich and tea for breakfast
    Broth and bread for lunch (and more tea)
    Fish, chips and peas, Victoria sponge and shortbread for Dinner – oh and another mug of tea
    Rounded off with Taylor’s OBV Port

just my usual daily fare today, a balanced diet with cholesterol and saturated fats at the start and end of the day ( I did need fortifying after shopping being the start of the month) ……but as it’s lent it’ll just be Porridge, bread and dripping for a while, a run round the table and a kick at the cat!

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Well kp – Thought the caption under the pic might have given that one away? :)) However, they are in stock at the main Alfa Beta store down near the port.

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

OK – Felt like a “Greek” last night, enough of the “Chinese” & “Indians” !
    Knocked up a “Vrasto” – Lower limb of veal, deftly severed at the ankle joint, put in a large pot of water along with, onion, a chopped carrot, a little garlic, a whole cut up lemon, four cloves, four bay leaves, a small chopped leek, half a sliced red pepper, salt & pepper. Boil for about four hours and the collagen will just melt into the mix & the tendons will be succulent, serve with crusty bread & mop up all the juice as it turns to jelly.

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@kolofarthos wrote:

Well that’s Nimpoo gone down in my estimation
    desert spoon of Pataks madras curry sauce

. :roll: (and not an apostrophe in sight!)

That’ll not make a proper curry sauce you’ll need at least three desert spoonfuls! 😳

I stand corrected, but “three desert spoons” I think not, I want to be able to eat the meal not use it to clean the old anti-foul from the bottom of the boat. πŸ˜‰

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

@kolofarthos wrote:

@nimbus wrote:

I stand corrected, but “three desert spoons” I think not, I want to be able to eat the meal not use it to clean the old anti-foul from the bottom of the boat. πŸ˜‰

Gentlemen! Before round 2, can we check whether we are discussing curry paste or curry sauce, and how much curry you are making?

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

It was the hot Madras curry paste to which I was referring, the quantity was as per the cooking instructions on the jar, excellent photographs of this fine product by the way. :)

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

As a follow on to this – Is the preference for curry paste/sauce or curry powder ? Personally I tend to use the Sharwoods hot Madras powder then modify it with extra fresh ground black pepper & my own chilli paste. Then make at least four portions – one for use & the rest for the freezer. Got to remember however, freezing curry makes it less hot :))

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Ah yes, well spotted Dayglo. I had assumed paste but yes the amount required will depend both on quantity of fodder and, as Nimpoo implies, taste! :nod:

How does Sunnyboy always manage to make his meals look so inviting? πŸ˜•

yachtmati
    Participant
    Neophyte

Cock brand (snigger….) curry paste from thailand is what i use
    http://chinesestorepg.com/test/2011/11/cock-brand-curry-paste/

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Yes anything with “Cock” in the title usually reders one incapable ! My time in Cyprus was always full of helpless mirth when adding the local bitters to a brandy sour… “cock drops” much more of a talking point than “Angastura” :mrgreen:

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

See what all this talk of curry has done? The adverts at the top of this page come up with ‘Buy Tandoori Clay Oven’ and ‘Madras Curry Powder’ for sale!!! Seems like sjs is doing a ‘google’ in scanning all our posts and setting the adverts accordingly!…. I wonder what’ll happen to the adverts now with all these mentions of ‘cocks’ in the last few posts? 😯

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

@KP wrote:

See what all this talk of curry has done? The adverts at the top of this page come up with ‘Buy Tandoori Clay Oven’ and ‘Madras Curry Powder’ for sale!!! Seems like sjs is doing a ‘google’ in scanning all our posts and setting the adverts accordingly!…. I wonder what’ll happen to the adverts now with all these mentions of ‘cocks’ in the last few posts? 😯

You will never believe it: :mrgreen:
    “Linda’s Dutch pancakes”
    “Dutch Pancakes in Aruba The best breakfast in Aruba”

No idea what that has to do with cocks :roll:

GlennB
    Participant
    Neophyte

We had an “austerity” dinner.

Fish finger. Chip. Pea.

(Is this in bad taste ? If so I blame the austere egg-cup of cheap white wine MrsB allowed me :mrgreen: )

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

@sundodger wrote:

…Got to remember however, freezing curry makes it less hot :))

Talk about stating the bleeding obvious!Putting stuff in the freezer makes things less hot? Next you’ll be telling us that putting things in the bath make them more wet!

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

thought he made the comment as a sort of whimsy, but yes curry kept over night does seem to improve in flavour in my opinion.

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

@KP wrote:

…The adverts at the top of this page come up with ‘Buy Tandoori Clay Oven’ and ‘Madras Curry Powder’ for sale!!!…. I wonder what’ll happen to the adverts now with all these mentions of ‘cocks’ in the last few posts? 😯

@Alien wrote:

You will never believe it: :mrgreen:
    “Linda’s Dutch pancakes”
    “Dutch Pancakes in Aruba The best breakfast in Aruba”
    No idea what that has to do with cocks :roll:

I got an advert for

Atlantean Cottage Bar Harbor Bed & Breakfast
    11 Atlantic Avenue, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609

To be fair, it looks nice enough, but If I were them, I’d ask for a refund of my Google Adwords spending.

I just hope that the key word was “Breakfast” and not “Cottage”

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

Well at the top of my page I have this at the moment…..

Spartan Belt Buckle
    Greek Warrior Belt Buckle Highly Detailed Pewter Cast

What the heck is that all about ! πŸ˜†

GlennB
    Participant
    Neophyte

I don’t get these adverts at all. Firefox with AdBlock must be doing its job :)

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Don’t know why I got the Mirage fighter for sale advert just now! 😯

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Now you thought you saw a mirage…………..

Look again.

Is it there now.

See that proves the point!

yachtmati
    Participant
    Neophyte

😯

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I’ll have what you’re having yachtie… :))

yachtmati
    Participant
    Neophyte

sweet and sour garides

veropoulos has Calvet Merlot 2010 which for 3.49 euro is rather good

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Mostly I have no inspiration about what to cook and therefore when I came across ‘The Guardian’ food section I was chuffed to see they had a search window on the right that you typed in your ingredients and it popped out a pile of recipes from lots of interesting folk with brilliant ideas. (They even have Vefa the Greek lady).

You have to go to the Life and Style section first and then click on ‘food,’ but here it is for the lazy http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/food-and-drink

yachtmati
    Participant
    Neophyte

pataks korma paste is very nice. got it at the indian shop on kolokotroni, piraeus

fry 1 chopped medium onion until golden
    add 1/4 jar korma paste
    add a bit of cream and stir it good then add the rest of the 100ml cream
    100ml water
    some corn flour to get it thicker

really great taste

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

That an onion Korma recipe? No meat, no other veg. ic_wink

Not to my taste Yachty give me lamp or chicken any day or even a dahl… πŸ˜€

yachtmati
    Participant
    Neophyte

no thats just the sauce lol.
    add fried prawns or chicken

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

Just for a change (not !!!) it will be chicken and salad :

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

the chicken was nice though, stuffed with feta cheese and wrapped in bacon, no complaints :)

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

…. From you or the chicken ? :))

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

I now picture a chicken getting ready to be stuffed, with a nice smile on it’s face :roll:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

…well yesterday actually for Sunday dinner……..

New potatoes freshly dug from the garden, peas picked and podded 10 minutes prior to cooking, carrot and swede mash to accompany smoked ham boiled to tenderness and then roasted in a black marmalade glaze followed by pear and almond tart and double cream.

All cooked by Mrs Kolo, my personal chef whilst I attacked a lump of concrete!

Plenty of exercise, good for the heart, a balanced diet of fresh food full of vitamins, calcium and protein, a wonderful taste.
    Well I’ve got to keep the rain off, provide a bit of heat for the body and balance up the rest of my diet! πŸ˜†

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.