What can we do at Easter?

Forums Out & About in Greece Around the Country What can we do at Easter?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  kolofarthos 5 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

My Mum, who is a frighteningly fit 78 year-old, is coming to stay for a few days over orthodox easter. Arriving midday Thursday, then Good Friday through to Tuesday, and leaves Wednesday.
    Questions are:

• what sites, shops and tavernas will be open, on which days?
    • Which bits of churchcelebrations should we try to see?
    • Will laiki markets run normally on Fri, Sat, Mon?

Further suggestions on how to prevent the two Mrs DGS from being snarky to each other are also welcome..!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@DayGloScooter wrote:

…… Further suggestions on how to prevent the two Mrs DGS from being snarky to each other are also welcome..!

What’s wrong with the normal tying up, gagging and leaving in separate cupboards? That way they can’t have a go at each other (or you) and furthermore, you don’t need to worry about finding things to amuse them! Simple! :roll:
    It’s so good that we more mature husbands can still teach you youngsters something about marriage! :mrgreen:

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

ooops! Just noticed that it’s your mother and not your mother-in-law who is coming! 😕

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

I appreciate the sentiment, but I am actually quite fond of both. Unfortunately, there is no detectable fondness between them. A “quiet afternoon on the balcony with a glass of wine and light conversation” is a recipe sub-zero frostiness with interludes of uncomfortable silence.
    Hence the plea for inspiration.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@DayGloScooter wrote:

I appreciate the sentiment, but I am actually quite fond of both. Unfortunately, there is no detectable fondness between them. A “quiet afternoon on the balcony with a glass of wine and light conversation” is a recipe sub-zero frostiness with interludes of uncomfortable silence.
    Hence the plea for inspiration.

Make the best of a bad situation and buy some ice-skates…

:mrgreen:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Difficult to answer the question for you as we do not know the ladies concerned;
    but how about:
    Doing something they will both like, a trip to Sounion, ferry to island for the day (they can maybe lose each other on the ferry for a while); Mrs kolo suggests try to keep them both busy (less time to bicker?) – but I thought one cooking and one cleaning might not go down too well- however individual treats might!

Is it owing to jealousy that they do not get on? If so then perhaps you should leave for a while and let them fight it out or get on!

Aren’t we a sympathetic lot!

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

I like your thinking (mrs) Kolo. So, what is likely to be open that weekend? I fear it may forever be remembered as “the day we spent cooped up in a Fiat Punto, driving around looking for somewhere that was open…” (again!)

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Surely the Acropolis museum will be open on the day. Maybe you could phone and find out. There is a restaurant there with a view to the Parthenon, and maybe one of the ladies (wife) can decide NOT to eat or drink and can go off and look at the sculptures which will leave you with mum to freely chat. From there its a short walk to the Plaka area to look at a few shops and see some quaintness.

I was taken to the suburb named Drosia, Δροσιά which is lovely with lots of trees and tavernas. There is a famous one there where you can get some Pernili or sort of delicious calzone type pies with various fillings. I had a mince one that was to die for. If you want I can find out the name of the place.

Church could be interesting as it is Holy Week and usually Good Friday there is always a service, I saw that there is a big Epitafio parade in Syntagma usually…maybe you can ask a local periptero in the square.
    http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2011/04/22/good-friday-in-greece-epitafios-videos/ The Saturday midnight mass and fireworks etc will be at any church in your neighbourhood. See here also http://www.breathtakingathens.com/

Matt Barrett has a bit more on Easter and you can always contact him for more details if anything seems of interest.
    http://www.greecetravel.com/easter/

As for the ladies…in my book, age wins over beauty because the time left with the elderly can be very brief. The trick is to make both the ladies feel more special than the other with some carefully whispered affections and targetted compliments when the other is not around. :))

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

I have never spent Easter in Athens but as Kiwi suggests I think it would be very atmospheric being on the streets around Syntagma, Mitropoleos either on Good Friday evening when they parade the streets with the coffin of Christ all decorated with flowers or late on Easter Saturday when people will be going to church and then coming out to celebrate and carrying candles home to eat their midnight feasts etc. On New Years Eve everything is dead (in central Athens) until after midnight since Greeks like to see the new year in at home. But all the tavernas are laid up for people to start feasting after this – which always struck me as very bizarre. I mean who wants to eat dinner at 1 am (we’re not talking post-pub munchies here, after all – this is pre-arranged). We have wandered around Psyrri or Gazi at around 8-9pm on New Years Eve and found it quite difficult to get anyone to serve us. :roll:

Hence I am not entirely sure about what will be open on Easter Saturday evening before midnight (except church obviously) – but after I’m sure it will be very atmospheric. Shops and museums I would expect to be open as normal on Easter Saturday during the day but closed on Good Friday and Easter Monday. I am sure there are tavernas that open on Easter Sunday and if you’re lucky you might find one roasting a goat or lamb on the spit – maybe you need to ask around about this.

As for keeping both Mrs DGSs happy I would suggest not having to be joined at the hip. I know if we have visitors staying for a few days and I start feeling a bit hemmed in I am very happy to make suggestions/arrange for coach daytrips (Delphi/Corinth etc) / drop them off somewhere local so that I can then go back home “to cook” (i.e. chill and sip a glass of wine in peace and quiet 😉 ). Then pick up later or meet for coffee or something. Not suggesting you do this with your mother of course but maybe you could plan a few little excursions just with your mother – Sounio good idea – and your wife would be happier chilling by herself at home “cooking” a meal ready for your return (or something).

rheia
    Participant
    Neophyte

Good idea about spending a little time alone with yr Mum, even if you just go for a walk together.

Being a Mother of boys, I do like a little time with just him and I.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I think that Good Friday will be the better bet because the services will start early, unlike Saturday which is a midnight ritual, although, I believe that the flame from the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem is delivered on Saturday afternoon and there is some ritual involved there when it is received and the flame is distributed to all the churches. Maybe someone can enlighten us on that one.

Another issue is that most Greeks will be fasting until Saturday after midnight so this may have an effect on some restaurants, but Plaka will be catering to tourists so should be OK.

I also agree with the others that taking mum out alone while Mrs D gets quiet time is a great idea.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Actually DGS, why is this your problem? 😕 😕

If they insist on clawing eachothers eyes out, why not retreat and wait till they’re done? :roll: :roll:

:mrgreen:

Remember they always claim there would never be a war if women were in charge?
    Yeah, right!

😉

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

In the present climate, there must be some riots going on ? Perhaps a quick shove into the front line of one of these would appease & calm the good ladies spirits…. If not, a spell of a few days in the local “pokey” should give them a good insight of the local characters & customs :))

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thanks to all the ladies for helpful, thoughtful and inspiring ideas.

Blokes: Les Dawson and Bernard Manning are both long gone.

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@Ian wrote:

Remember they always claim there would never be a war if women were in charge?
    Yeah, right! 😉

Queen Boudica 60 A d … Joan of Arc 1412… Margaret Thatcher 1925 … and currently Cristina Fernandez ( not yet but probably a forthcoming attraction) all defeat that statement :nod:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I posted this on the ROAR thread but am posting it here too for mum and because men can never find anything that’s not waved in front of their noses… 😀

http://forfree.gr/en/cat.php?pageid=3

Keep searching the calendars on the pages closer to the time and you should be able to see whats going on in Athens when you need it, note there are lots of headings so click around. I found in one case where I changed from the English to the Greek there was a lot more on, so you could do this and use a page translater if anything of interest.

PS when you see the calendar, you actually need to click on the dates to get to a new page of events as it defaults to todays date and there may be nothing shown as on today.

Pappa Ouzo
    Participant
    Neophyte

Kiwi
    Lets just forget all the doom & gloom of late and just eat drink & be merry reb_bravo reb_bravo

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I’ll drink to that papouz…. 😀 Well, I will as soon as I get back to Greece on Sunday! Two weeks away was too long again! :( I’m going through withdrawals for my bit of Greece, ouzo, tsipouro and I’m even missing Greek food! :mrgreen: So, I’m all for ‘eat, drink and be merry’! reb_bravo

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

You still in UK, KP, stirring up the tanker drivers and employing your Greek experiences ? Even got Stanstead going on strike!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Pappa, not sure what you mean…the link I gave was exactly for joy and good fun, it is a link for what to do in Athens…for free even :))

rheia
    Participant
    Neophyte

Good site.

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Report:
    Good Friday – Acropolis Museum (from 12), Plaka, Local Taverna and Dodoni for coffee and cake.
    Mega Saturday – local Laiiki – Marathon Dam – Tatoi walk – local souvlaki (most were closed) – midnight mass.
    Easter Sunday – friend’s garden for lamp and kokoretsi
    Easter Monday – Delphi (open to 3pm for free) – Galaxidi for late lunch
    Tuesday – Athens again, scenic route to Sounion – Lavrio – late lunch in Kalybia – coffee in Porto Rafti
    All decent days out, but Delphi for free was a bonus!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

That sounded wonderful. I bet mum was thrilled and will dine on the trip for a long time to come. It’s always so difficult when somoen visits trying to get as much value as possible for them. reb_bravo

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Great Dayglo.
    Sounds like it all went well. :)

Would you have any comments you can add about Sounion &.Delphi to help with my potential visit. Post PM me if you wish, it would be appreciated.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.