The Ipad Air

This topic contains 42 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  kiwi 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Ok am starting to get used to the thing although am finding safari a bit of a pain to figure. I admit I have not opened my wee laptop for a couple of weeks since receiving it.

I opened a webpage that had a live TV link on it but when I tried to watch, it said it needed flash, but it didn’t give me a link to download it.

Is there something special I need to watch stuff that needs flash?

Pappa Ouzo
    Participant
    Neophyte

Being a pensioner could not afford the likes of an ipad air so had to make do with a samsung tab 3 10.1 but just like you only just getting my head round it reb_bravo

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

You can’t get Flash per se, but you can get a browser which has Flash support built in.
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/apple/how-get-flash-ipad-3460979/

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Thanks, will check it out. Did not realize you could use another browser. Hmm can I use mozilla?

Papa at least yours is familiar. Mine is apple so much harder to get my head around. Mainly I wish my fingers had pointy pencil size tips. Am always clicking the wrong word.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Just watched a review for the Maven Browser…not for flash but has a lot of options that are missing on Safari. Works on iphone as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhtzmI8iDOM&list=PL2BAEC70B56110997 There are reviews for other browsers as well.

Am still crawling my way around the ipad trying to make it feel more familiar. Absence of Flash is still an issue as the suggested flash browsers don’t always work on some sites.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Got a browser app that does flash, is free and I love it, called Photon. Easy for non savvy techno dorks like moi. I use the browser happily instead of safari, and it has opened streaming tv that others could not.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Oops! 😳 Did I mention it is free. Sorry it is a paid one but very cheap in the 2 pound range and worth it. I checked out who the designers are and was equally impressed.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Did you know that you cannot purchase in itunes for someone that is not in the same country as you and your credit card account? Just found that out when trying to send my daughter in NZ an album for her birthday.

Sucks.

Furthermore, you are not allowed to buy with your credit card even for yourself when you are out of the country, both you and your card and your ipad have to be together in the country that you registered into itunes. And…it’s all in the fine print which no one reads.

And…I have RSI in my right wrist from all the flicking. Reminds me why I like a mouse.

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

And…I have RSI in my right wrist from all the flicking. Reminds me why I like a mouse.

Yes, yes, that’s how I got RSI too . . . honestly 😳

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Glad its not just me. My remedy… started to use one of those rubber tippy pens to flick with and changed the angle i hold my hand, rest the elbow on a cushion to get the arm more level so the wrist doesn’t bend so much when I am on the sofa, and I try to use the left hand to flick as much as possible to give the other a rest.

I have to wonder how you guys with fat fingers cope when copying or pasting. I wish they would invent a special mouse for tablets.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@DayGloScooter wrote:

Yes, yes, that’s how I got RSI too . . . honestly 😳

Yeah, right… 😈

:mrgreen:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Dumb question time. With a laptop if you are in a place that has no internet, you can buy a dongle thingie that you plug into the USB and it gives you access to internet up to a limited Gb.

With the ipad, the only two inlets are a round microphone plug and the tiny lightning plug that powers the battery. My ipad does not have a sim included.

Question, is there a way I can get wifi internet when I am not at my home hub and there is none, example in a village? Is there some sort of clever thingie I need to purchase for the ipad?

Question 2. With my laptop I could use a HDMI cable to attach between any TV and the laptop to watch a movie on big screen. Surely the ipad should do similar, I have no idea what cable or accessory I need to get for this. Thanks

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I asked for an I Pad for my birthday and all I got was a poke in the eye and this:

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@KP wrote:

I asked for an I Pad for my birthday and all I got was a poke in the eye and this:

And the Air part is encircled by that black elastic band that attached to the pad?

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@Ian wrote:

And the Air part is encircled by that black elastic band that attached to the pad?

I thought I heard that there is no air in a vacuum? :roll:

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

I would be very interested in an answer to kiwi’s question because I’m taking my iPad to Greece in a few months.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

I’m not an Ipad user so take my comments with that in mind ! :retard:
    ..but

Perhaps you need to contact Apple for definitive answers – if you cannot find what you want through an internet search?………..of which there is a lot of info out there….

I take it that you pad, Kiwi is not a wi-fi+3g version? If so that limits your options.

Wi-fi:
    Please see Apple support http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5569

also some useful info about which apple products do what at http://www.edepot.com/iphone.html#iPhone_Networking

USB: Found on one web site….the iPad Camera Connection Kit is a USB connector, but not a fully functional USB port. This discussion on the Apple Support website shows what it will do: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3059235?start=0&tstart=0………so it possibly looks like a non starter for a Dongle. No doubt there is a bit of kit out there and somebody with the knowledge will prove me wrong!

TV:
    There are a number of Apple accessory cable to connect to say VGA or DVI so it would (at least ) depend on what you want to connect to…and also what your version of the iPad you have and it’s capabilities.

….come back Daylgo, Kiwi (and Brenda) need you :nod: πŸ˜†

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Thanks Kolo. I have the latest ipad. Answers on this forum are friendly and usually well explained and one doesnt need to become a member to ask a question as you do on new forums. Also some of the abbreviations used are just as puzzling as the answers. I shall check out the links and thank you. I am nowhere near an Apple shop which would be the easiest answer.

Where is dayglo? Hope he is OK.

Meanwhile I got a great free podcast app brenda. I now use it to put me to sleep listening to comedians or whatever. I also downloaded a Rain app…you can listen to rain on a tin roof with thunder and it has a sleep timer on it. I find it stops me thinking as I concentrate on the rain splashing. It so reminds me of my days in Saigon where it would pour down.

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

hmmm…I’ll have to check out the rain app. Nothing I like more than going to sleep with rain and thunder!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Actually it’s more than one type of rain, soft, stormy, windy as well and the thunder is optional. I was listening to Bill Maher the comedian last night on the podcast app. It’s a bit American, but I quite like his attitude. It means I am lying in bed with a smile on my face. NO COMMENTS PLEASE :unibrow:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Not sure whether to put this in health and remedies or here πŸ˜€

I mentioned how I downloaded the podcasts app. I have now figured out how it works…sort of. There are so many podcasts out there from interesting sources, many of the BBC ones and Ted Talks, Science, Comedians from all countries. I downloaded Plato’s The Republic and last night listened to part of the introduction.

The best part of all this, listening to podcasts has cured my insomnia. I go to bed, find a podcast, turn it on, set the sleep timer to whatever, and relax and listen. I rarely get past 20 minutes and am asleep. They are all free by the way.

What I very much enjoyed was Plato’s The Republic. (should I write this in the Daily Life Thread?) I was fascinated by Cephalus talking to Socrates about Old Age, and what he said then could be true today.
    Some may say it bored me to sleep? :unibrow: Well one can’t live in Greece and not have some philosophy food to sound wise at important gatherings (beach with the bubbas?)

Brenda you can find the Podcasts App in the Apps store.

Here is a link for anyone interested via computer.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/plato-the-republic/id201806599?mt=2 I think the introduction one I listened to was No 8. They are not in any order. See…keeping to a Greek theme on GIH.

KP…if you are reading this, I seem to recall your wife wanting to listen to many of the English stations and you having trouble getting enough signal. Well if you don’t already know…they are all in podcasts. Am not sure if you can get them on Android as well but bound to.

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

Thanks, Kiwi. I did find the rain app, with all the options, and I love it! I could even listen to an airplane noise and pretend I’m on my way! (Although I don’t sleep on planes so that might not be sleep inducing ic_smile )

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Glad you enjoyed it brenda. The rain app is not the podcasts app though. Podcasts is a separate app that gives you access to itunes podcasts. It can be found in the Most Popular apps columns. Just try it and see, maybe Mr Brenda might also enjoy listening since he is a bit poorly. There are thousands of subjects and what amazes me is that they are all free. No catch, no adverts.

I am probably preaching to the converted here :roll:

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

Yes, I realized they were two separate apps. I was thanking you for the podcast info, then switching subject to the rain app. If my Greek is as convoluted as my English, no wonder nobody over there understands me πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Jolly good brenda. I hope you get as much pleasure adn peace out of it as I do. When I mentioned it to younger daughter…she poofed…’that’s OLD stuff mum.’

Now all we need to find out is if we can use a dongle thingie for wireless somehow when away from wifi.

The little bit at the bottom of your posts about if it’s not ok its not the end has become my little mantra of late. Self comforting.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Taking so many pics of bub and vids that my iPhone is saying it’s full. Does anyone know how or where I can upload all the photos and vids to and leave them for free so I can get some space back on the iPhone. Simple solution as I am moving around and haven’t got the time to muck around with complicated stuff and the bub doesn’t let me out of her sight and the minute I use a phone or ipad she wants to watch peppa pig.

Man it’s hot! Missing my free time of the net… now it’s grabbed moments. Roll on winter.

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

Somebody advised me to install dropbox.

It seems that then all photo’s taken by tablet, camera, etc. etc. will automatically be sent to dropbox as soon as you are on WiFi. Then you can Always obtain your pictures.

When you don’t want it automatically then that is also possible.

😳 I must admit I have not tried yet, I cannot even get an app installed on my tablet 😳

It is just all not my hobby these whizzthingies :(

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Good idea Alien.
    I have used Dropbox but only to share picture files and then not from an Iphone but a PC. I would have thought it possible though. ❓

One thing you may need to check, Kiwi, is if it is a permanent store and who has access to view or amend delete!
    Perhaps one of the backup locations would be better………..whichever all you have to find out is how to do it!
    If you just want to copy them off to a PC (and then back them up of course if you value them!!!) see instructions at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

When I get enough peace to think clearly I will look up the options. Any comments on Flickr?

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Dropbox is fine, Flickr is …meh, but Google photos is best IMHO.

It only does photos so doesn’t get mixed up with documents and other stuff. It also has unlimited space (provided that you keep your photos to a maximum size) so you can just set it up and forget it, until you have a problem and need it.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Thanks dayglo. Is google photos the same as picasa? But how on earth do I move them from the ipad to google photos. Meanwhile the little brat has just discovered that when a bedtime story is refused because of naughty behavior, if she sticks a finger up her nose, it bleeds and makes a hell of a mess and gets a lot of attention. Find me an answer to this problem too. Third time she has done it this week! :roll:

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Hands in mittens which are securely fitted at the wrists !!!!!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Midget anarchist! I threatened to put some very painful medicine in her nose of it ‘bled’ again. I described the excruciating pain that would come from a bottle I waved at her. So far so good.

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

@kiwi wrote:

Thanks dayglo. Is google photos the same as picasa? But how on earth do I move them from the ipad to google photos. …

Not the same, but closely linked. Google have an app for your iPad.
    Instructions HERE

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Thanks dayglo. Will examine when I get some wifi connection. Going to an island today so bit rushed.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Backward place this is after Europe! I will be going to hospital some time in the next weeks and I thought to ask if they had free wifi. NOPE! You can buy an hours worth or a couple days worth at an exorbitant price.

My question, is there a clever way one can get internet on an iPad that has no SIM card. Are there thingies around that can help. I have seen all sorts of gadget thingies sold on planes but have no idea what they do…some had the magic word Ε΅ifi.

Sancho the Fat
    Participant
    Neophyte

@kiwi wrote:

Backward place this is after Europe! I will be going to hospital some time in the next weeks and I thought to ask if they had free wifi. NOPE! You can buy an hours worth or a couple days worth at an exorbitant price.

My question, is there a clever way one can get internet on an iPad that has no SIM card. Are there thingies around that can help. I have seen all sorts of gadget thingies sold on planes but have no idea what they do…some had the magic word Ε΅ifi.

Might one of these help ? http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/prepay/pricing/plus/value-packs/zone-data-packs

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Not cheap is it! Only 12MB I don’t think that would last long if I was listening to radio or streaming. Everything has changed here since I left. Example got a new sim and couldn’t sms to Greece with it even though there was money in the account. Was hopping mad and didn’t relish the fifty buttons to press to talk with a human and find out why. Haven’t even settled on a phone company yet because it’s so convoluted and so many of them. Unlimited wifi is still a thing you have to pay extra for, it’s usually capped. What did I expect living in the arse end of the planet next to Emperor penguins and whales and Antarctica. :

I miss Greece.

Sancho the Fat
    Participant
    Neophyte

@kiwi wrote:

Not cheap is it! Only 12MB I don’t think that would last long if I was listening to radio or streaming.

It’s 12 GB (12 gigabytes = 12288 MB, according to http://www.convertunits.com/from/MB/to/GB)

Anyway, do you think it’d work ? There’s a a map on that page showing what parts of New Zealand they cover and where coverage is strongest.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

It should work there. The main hospital is in Newtown which is very central and ten minutes from the main part of Wellington City. Giga mega…I shall never get them right. Still I wonder how long 12 gig will last while streaming. Thanks sancho.

Sancho the Fat
    Participant
    Neophyte

I hope it does work. Try to find someone there – or ask one of the nurses or a friend or something to try to find somebody – who knows about these things and can give you informed advice. Even if this won’t work, maybe he / she will have another suggestion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSVfLNCW4Fs

:))

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Don’t take this as gospel but a very rough rule of thumb as there are lots of variables that really ought to be considered but it may well do for your decision making.

For good quality video (and you probably need a connection that will do 6Mb per second) streaming 12 GB should give you at least 320 minutes play. That’s for reasonably high quality and you could easily double or quadruple that depending upon the video streaming rate, being much less for lower quality.

If it is for radio/audio then the streaming rate is much lower hence you get a LOT more time for your money so you can multiply that by 50 or 100 ( how about three weeks of continuous listening for insomniacs!).

( streaming rate equates to how much data you ‘eat’ every time period such as a second, the more info/quality the higher the rate – a bit like a sportsperson during activity will eat more calories than me on ‘rest’ days- consider how much the All Blacks must consume!!)

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Thanks kolly then at least I can have radio in my ears for company and not worry about my GB, ending and the streaming can be now and then to watch some news or email. Someone told me that I can use the iPhone as a hot spot for the tablet. All well laid plans assuming I will feel like any of this at the time. Listening to talkback is such good company and I also can listen to Greece.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.