Telephone bills advice please

Forums Dealing with Greece Formalities Telephone bills advice please

This topic contains 21 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  tpebop 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Hi all
    Hope that you are all having a good weekend…. I need some advice as I have just received my telephone bill and am wondering what it is all about![:0]

I have a landline with OTE ADSL broadband and just got a bill for 2 months for a total of 360 Euro….

So, as we make a lot of overseas calls to the UK, USA, Arab world and Australia, is there a cheaper service I can plug into? I thought that I heard something about a subscription service whereby you dial a number before the overseas number and get the calls as low as 0.01 Eu per minute? Do you know of such as thing and which is the best if there are a number of them around? Also, do they apply to mobiles, either calling from my mobile or calling mobile numbers overseas?

I have skype, which I use whenever it is behaving, but mostly it is very difficult to conduct a conversation without shouting, especially if I am using skype out to call a landline or mobile… perhaps due to the poor quality ADSL connection?

So what do you all do? It would be nice to see if I can save a few Euro on the telephone bills so that I can try more Greek wines. [:o)]

Regards
    kalamatapaul

russellsnr
    Participant
    Hoplite

Hi, Don’t live there yet but while on our hols in Rhodes last month we purchased a card for 5 Euros that gave us 3 hours talk time, I think it was black with SP on the front.
    We had to dial a kind of numbered code from the card then choose from a menu.
    As I understand it the card is good for house land line as well as call boxes.
    I no it is a bit of a hassle with the code but I thought it was very good value for money.
    Also if you have broadband why not use MSN messenger to talk, it’s free and you already pay for the broadband.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

We use one of those prefix numbers to get inexpensive calls. I think it’s Cosmoline but I’ll check. The rates are fairly good and much better than OTE although you still pay and arm and a leg to them for line rental.

GiH Admin

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

try using the YIASOU cards they are very cheap although a bit of a hassle putting code in every time. The one for uk is 5euros and has 3 hours talk time, they do other ones for different parts of the world, also forthnet have a good “friends and family” package where you get I think 3 or 5 numbers abroad for a very cheap rate, also use them for broadband, I refuse to give OTE the money they want for phone calls!!! our bills are about 20 euros a month, plus the OTE rental rate, and we have 4 hours of free local calls every month as well.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Wow…. thank’s so much everybody, once again this site has proved to be mine of information, and not just any old mine, but a gold mine!

I wonder if any of you have contact details or any further details on where and when and how for the services mentioned? That would be very useful both for myself and others I am sure….

Many thanks once again
    Regards
    kalamatapaul

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

Paul – in Kalamata we always get a prepay card simply called “Face” available from the periptero near to Athanasiou it costs 10 Euros but when you enter the code etc it tell you that you have 11 Euro’s credit & gives well in excess of 5 hours talk time to the U.K. Don’t know exactly how long as “she who must be obeyed” is the one who is always “rabbiting” on the phone. This card is also available for different area zones at presumably preferential rates, so different ones for areas you need, should reduce costs considerably

watson
    Participant
    Neophyte

Interesting! Not being a great phone user, I’ve never looked into any alternatives to OTE in the 20-odd years I’ve been here…….
    However, with my daughter due to go to university in England in September, I need to find a cheaper way of phoning from a Greek landline to an English mobile. Anybody got any ideas? Are those cards (Smile, Yiasou etc) just for landlines?
    p.s. I’m not antisocial, just prefer talking to people face to face – or emailing. As a result I earn Brownie points with my husband cos he can’t nag at me for being on the phone for hours!

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

not sure about using these cards to mobile, but if you go into your local mobile shop they will tell you which ones to use and how much they are, I did this originally and they were very helpful. Also I think forthnet has some kind of package for this but again not sure, so you will have to check it out.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

Hi again, just looked at my Yiassou card, they have a customer service number 210 8996517 so if you are in athens give them a call.

RocketRon
    Participant
    Neophyte

We haven’t got ADSL in Megali Mantinia yet but I still bought a Tesco internet phone in the UK in hope. You get free voice mail and a UK number that can be used from anywhere in the world. Calls to Greece and UK landlines using it are 2p per minute. The USB phone handset also works with Skype. Don’t know how much calls with OTE are to Greek land lines but it must beat OTE costs to the UK. You buy credit on-line and it comes with a £5 voucher to get you started.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Hi Rocket Ron….. If you haven’t got ADSL in Megali Mantinia yet you must be using skype with a dial up line?!! My problem is that even with ADSL in Kalamata the quality of skype is so variable, to the point of being often unuseable due to lack of quality, that I need an alternative to skype.
    Many thanks
    kalamatapaul

RocketRon
    Participant
    Neophyte

A dial-up line would be luxury. Been trying since Christmas to get the existing phone line fully connected to an account in my name. Back into the OTE office in Kalamata when I get back in July. Deep Joy!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Hi Ron
    You are going to need more than a 2 week holiday here if you are going to spend time in the Kalamata OTE office! [:(]
    Actually, I found that the best time to go to OTE seems to be around 1.30pm to 2pm, not long before they close….. then there is no queue and nobody to jump in when you have been waiting paitiently in line! [V] Don’t you just love it when you have been polietly waiting in line for half and hour only to see one person after another jump to the front of the queue as they all seem to know the OTE people…. it happens every time! I just wish that they would do what the post office and others have done in having a number allocation machine so people can’t jump in.
    If you need an interpreter at OTE, give me a call and I would be happy to come along.
    Regards

RocketRon
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi Paul
    The OTE office is a delight. My builder has come along with me in the past and helped but the pitch has moved around a couple of times on this. Thanks for tip on the time. I might try that. Strangely enough, it was only a bit earlier than that went I went in last and it was quiet then. It’s probably busiest earlier, especially on market days.
    The people who had the phone line in the house before I bought it and renovated it suddenly told OTE they want the number at their current home in Micri Mantinia. Found this out on the last day of my visit in June. Don’t know why they want it now. They moved out from the house in 1985!
    I did send you a private message about the possibility of meeting up. Did you get it? Would be good to meet up and I’d be interested to see your panoramic view of the city from your roof.
    Regards. Ron & Sue.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Hi Ron

All good fun and games…. what would we all have to talk about and whinge about if it were easy? Anyway, why should BT hold the mononpoly on being difficult to deal with? [:)]

I have not received a private message on this system since I first began using the forum…. so not sure where it went…. yet another email swallowed up in the heavens……

Just email me directly on my personal email at:
    paul@business-support.com

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

VOIPBUSTER.com. I use it to call the US from GR and GR from the US. You can talk for hours and hours a week and it will cost maybe 1 Euro total.

The quality is very good and you don’t need a headset. It calls to your home phone so you don’t get charged per minute on your landline.

Still trying to get used to the prices for calling a cell phone. In the US, all local cell calls from landlines are completely free.

Hope that helps.

Paula
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi, moving to Greece soon and checking pre paid sim rates. Found website http://www.gosim.com based in uk, rates look good has anyone used it or can suggest cheapest mobile pre paid card for permanent use in Greece please. I need to phone uk landlines, mobile and send sms. Thanks

dimitrist
    Participant
    Neophyte

The up-to-date OTE charges are here (in English): http://www.ote-shop.gr/pdf/ENTELEPHONY.pdf

Or go to http://english.oteshop.gr/home_menu.asp?hop=h&bid=56 and look under OTE Price List / National Tariffs.

One service I have used for calling abroad at local rates (3 eurocents per minute), using a phone and not a computer, is http://www.hello-hello.gr.

You call 801 200 400 600 and then the number you want. The first time you call this number from a landline you will be asked to give your name.

Dimitris

rplou
    Participant
    Neophyte

here’s another phone card, kp and nikanne: BEST.

i use it to call the US all the time; each card is 5 euros and has 3 hours of talk time, same to land lines or mobiles. it’s also good for calls to the UK, australia, canada, and other EU countries. (though i don’t know if those rates are any different from those to the US.)

when my husband was still my fiance and i was still in the US, he tried all sorts of different phone cards here in greece to find the best price, and decided that this one is the most economical. you can also use them for PC to phone, but i don’t know how to do this. i just use the phone.

we buy the cards at kiosks in central athens… maybe worth keeping your eyes open in your respective areas. they are bright pink with ‘BEST’ in huge letters across the front. 😀

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

thanks Rebecca will keep that in mind!! at the moment I am using the free card from Bima newspaper. 100 hours of calls at local rate!!! pretty good!!

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Hi, here in the UK I use an online company called Vonnage you plug a gismo into the broadband and use an ordinairy phone. You can specify the numbers you want free or cheap calls to.
    Could be worth a look.

tpebop
    Participant
    Neophyte

http://www.voipdiscount.com
    This is what we use
    Check out the rates
    Calls to UK land lines for example cost just a 5 cent euro connection fee with no limit to the call duration

No need for any gizmo or programme to download

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.