St Catherine's Monastery in Sinai

Forums Living in Greece Announcements & Media Requests St Catherine's Monastery in Sinai

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  kiwi 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

http://world.greekreporter.com/2015/09/14/st-catherine-greek-orthodox-monastery-needs-financial-help-to-survive/

I visited the monastery a few years back. It is beautiful and the area is shared with a mosque within its walls. The Bedouins all spoke Greek, taught to them by the monks. It is an amazing oasis in the middle of the desert, and it would be very sad to see its demise. I hope it can be rescued since it is also a sort of museum and ancient library.

Lots on the internet about it. Here is a page with the letter of protection for it by the Muslim caliphate of the time.

http://st-katherine.net/en/the-monastery/

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

From what I understand the Greek Orthodox church is one of the richest organisations in Greece… :scratch:

I see a great opportunity for showing some solidarity with their fellow orthodox :good:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I would have clicked the thanks button…but there isnt one. I totally agree with you, although I think that a lot of their funds are now going towards the poor in Greece and refugees. Maybe they are overwhelmed.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

“I think that a lot of their funds are now going towards the poor in Greece and refugees. Maybe they are overwhelmed”.????  lololololololololololo….. hahahahahahahahaha……. hohohohohohohohohohoho…. hehehehehehehehehehe, oh stop it kiwi, stop it! I can’t breath for laughing! 😀

That’s really good kiwi…. well done. 😀

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Yes I know that they are wealthy kp as are all the churches including the Catholics etc,  but they are doing a lot towards the poor since the Greek troubles. In Thess there were many parishes organising food kitchens etc.

You may be amused that my iPad decided that the correct word to throw in instead of parishes was pariahs  :-)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.