Shipping household from United States?

Forums Dealing with Greece Practicalities Shipping household from United States?

This topic contains 154 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Jenn 10 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ok everyone,
    need your experience /advice/help with this!
    I have a collection of paintings, equipment, and computers I really need to have with me here in Athens, sitting in my house back in the United States.

help!
    what should I do?

using the post or anything like this is extremely expensive/impractical for anything that isn’t small, so NOT an option.

I am used to shipping paintings, but generally, it is handled thru/with galleries I am working with and they share the expense or cover the expense, and handle the details.

This is just me alone trying to get my ‘stuff’ here.
    Not sure how to handle this…
    Any sugestions?

p.s. are there any restrictions about bringing or mailing computers into Greece?
    I might be able to mail my pc’s tower over.

mavro-skilo
    Participant
    Neophyte

how about just bringing the hard drive? it might be cheaper to buy a new machine(s) in Athens?

I’m scanning everything and emailing it, as well as keeping discs,

not sure about other hardware, we are relocating from the uk, so can’t really help there..

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

Good idea about removing the hard drive. I shipped my computer from UK here so it’s possible from US I would imagine. Try to find a shipping company that will take a certain size of box and get quotes from a few companies. I can’t tell you how much it cost me as it was a gift from a friend to send my computer.

Oh yeah – backup!

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

I checked the other day on shipping 200 lbs of misc. items my son wants to take to Greece with him and the cost to send by air was $2000 — and that’s with me packing it all and taking it to the airfield myself. That averages $10 a pound [:(] I found that he can take his items over with him as extra checked baggage when he flies for about $300.00, although he needs to stay within the airline’s size and weight limitations. Do you have any friends coming to visit soon [?]

-Mary

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

Did you check prices for shipping Mary? It will take one or two months to come over but it’ll be cheaper.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thanks everyone,
    I had thought about just sending the vital data via e mail before I left, and ran out of time. probably better to just buy here except i have all my graphics programs and image files just how i like them and need them on that machine.(would be SOOo much easier just to keep it)
    I had thought of sending a helper over to my place and having them mail pieces over every week or month, or just mail over my hard drive,ect.
    I actually, when it really comes down to it, Don’t have enough that is vital to justify shipping,ect. other than some very large paintings… I can just do without most of it, at this point i’d settle for the basics!
    so it all will probably end up in the mail. agh. not sure.
    keep the ideas coming please! ha ha
    thanks everyone so much.

p.s. another little problem is, I can’t really go back right now to handle any of this, I need to stay here in Athens, so I’m stuck that way too.
    (and no helpers tech savvy enough there I trust to remove the hard drive!)

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

quote:

Originally posted by Jenn

(and no helpers tech savvy enough there I trust to remove the hard drive!)

Shame, if you knew someone with broadband and knowledge of networks they could set your pc up on a VPN or something like that where you could link your (new) pc here to the old one and slowly download the data over a few days.

Although if you have a DVD burner there maybe you could get someone to burn all your data to a few discs and send it all via mail? Presuming you don’t have particularly sensitive data that is.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I *think* you need to be careful in using a US PC over here because of the monitor requiring a different power supply. (sambiggs knows more about this.)

Plus, with the age redundancy of PCs I’d just get someone to whip out the hard disk and post it over.

GiH Admin

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

I agree with you sjs. I wouldn’t bother with the monitor anyway. just extra weight.
    I think at this point I will just have to get that hard drive here. but-I just dread the idea of having to go thru whatever it is I would need to do after i got it here.
    also, fear of losing data, or the hard drive itself in the mail HA HA
    oh well, normal anxiety i guess.
    that, or else I will just have to wait until I take a quick trip back, and just send it all via e mail (the easiest for me!)
    Thanks for the advice everyone!
    now, how to get those paintings here…

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Jenn,

I’m just paying KLM for extra baggage. We Americans are so spoiled on price v. quality – I’m used to those 600 thread count sheets at really cheap prices. Have hit Bed, Bath & Beyond, CostCo and Wal-mart hard.

I can’t afford buying in Euros. Cheaper just to pay the extra shipping.

Anyway, back up your hard drive to one of those portable USB hard drives – I got two for like $25 online. That way you won’t lose your data.

And then you might just want to start buying laptops. I will have 3 w/ me while I’m there plus 2 portable hard drives. So if anything crashes, I can still work.

But best option is to transfer the data to the portables (no one has mentioned this yet?) and have them ship that and then just transfer it over to a laptop. You don’t need the computers, just the data, right?

What state is your stuff in?

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

I know what you mean! I should have done the same- but long story- anyway,
    All of it is a great idea, but i’m here, in Athens, now.
    I can’t back anything up- it’s there, i’m here.[:(]

No one I know is coming to visit, so my only option is to have helpers or friends stop by my place and pack it, and ship it.

I can’t leave for 6 months right now…so, it’s wait until the end of the 6 months without, or the other option.
    I can actually live without most of this stuff, but, in some ways, I can’t.

but, paying for extra baggage is probably the best idea if anyone else is reading this-and might end up doing the same thing.

basically, After I got here, I wasn’t expecting to need certain things,but, more opportunities presented themselves than I anticipated/ had a big response to my work, so I am actually needing the things I didn’t bring-LOL
    (work stuff)

ironic- I used to schlep several versions of my portfolio, and data on disks, and physical copies/photos of work, prints,and sometimes originals with me, and tons of useless household things I ended up leaving behind when I would travel before… HOWEVER, this time, I didn’t do ANY of that, and it ended up that I should have, the one time I didn’t! AGH!
    ok, rant over.
    [;)]

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

I was there for 3 months this summer and that really helped – gave me an idea of prices, quality, availability of items so when I came back to the States, I knew better what to stock up on. I have like 40 packets of Ranch dressing coming back w/ me!

Where do you live in Athens? If you need stuff, I’d be willing to bring you over a suitcase of stuff if you have it shipped to me and pay the extra baggage plus any other expenses to get it over.

Only thing is, I can’t take the computer. You might want to get a friend to upload your files to Yahoo! briefcase and the download them.

But am willing to help you out where I can.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Esavvides,
    Thank you, that is so thoughtful and generous of you!
    not a bad idea, either.
    However, unfortunately, everything I need won’t fit into a suitcase…
    you mean you can’t find ranch dressing in the supermarket here?
    I was surprised when I went to the carrefour and saw tabasco! LOL
    I didn’t imagine they’d have that here, but amazingly, they had that, and a LOT of other common American brands.(ironically, I don’t use any of it!)
    Most of what I use or need, I just buy here now, though.

If you look around a bit, I am sure you might find quite a few items you are bringing with you already here.

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

The dry powder ranch is not a problem to bring but yes, there are some things I’m debating shipping over like Ken’s Asian Sesame dressing, sushi rice, seaweed for sushi, etc. Insane but I’ll consider them a luxury dinner when I get to use them.

As for the shopping, yes, driving me crazy the lack of options. I can’t find dijon mustard to save my life. ($2.22 at Wal-Mart – 4 will go in the suitcase) And much of the stuff just doesn’t taste as good. Mayonnaise can be weird, even Hellman’s or Kraft.

So what are the biggest stores? Been trying to find a large one. All I have near me are some small-medium size ones.

Thanks for the help. I’m looking into DHL options to see how expensive it is to ship that way. I figure w/ the Euro against the dollar, it evens out to pay the extra shipping and have exactly what you want.

P.S. I work really hard and I don’t drink or smoke, so food and a few other vices are my induldgences.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Esavvides!
    I am glad you posted. everything except the sesame dressing you can get here.And I am sure even that you might find. Sushi stuff, definitely can get here. don’t waste the money/baggage room on shipping this stuff.(dijon-at least 8 different kinds at the local store here!)

are you going back soon, or are you staying for a while right now?
    I think I can help you out with this.(hopefully other members too)

do you drive? (doesn’t matter, you can use a taxi)
    I usually go to a place called Carrefour, it’s a big supermarket chain.
    They have several stores here like wal-mart, too.
    if you are just looking around your local neighborhood, most of this in each area is just small mom and pop type places.
    there is another supermarket chain called Atlantic.

there’s a place called ‘Practical’ that is supposed to be like a department store. but I haven’t been yet.
    another called Hondo’s more like a Dillards, or Marshall Fields type place.

if you’re feeling adventurous, you can always hop in a taxi, ask if they speak English, and even if they don’t…
    just say, Parakalo, Carrefour? Atlantic?
    most will get the idea of what you want.

oh, even with the shipping, it might not be worth it… and it is SO much easier just to go to the store here.

I am sure other members here might be in your area, and can help you even more.
    If you are near me, I can tell you exactly where to go.
    I am assuming you are in Athens…are you? what part?

p.s. some of the small stores have better stuff than the supermarkets- like the patisseries(pastry shops)
    most have ice cream, bread, goodies, and they are WAAY better than the supermarket!and usually cheaper than you could make the stuff yourself.

I’m kinda getting spoiled on the fact that the small shops get used to what you buy often, and anticipate what you need when you come in, and give great personal
    service.
    get ready- the supermarkets here have no customer service and are often rude.

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

I’m Elizabeth by the way. And yes, the rudeness is unreal. I can’t even comprehend it. It took me three months of being in the stores every day for them to start being friendly to me. We Americans need our “thank you very much…have a nice day.” Doesn’t exist there.

Can’t thank you enough for the heads up on Carrefour. I looked up their website. They have a Champion near me and will have to figure out which megastore is closest. I’m in Neos Kosmos right next to the Intercontinental Hotel.

What part of Athens do you live? I’m in Houston, TX right now packing things up. I hate Houston. It’s 4 a.m. and it’s 84 with 90% humidity. I tell people, “It’s not the heat. It’s not the humidity. It’s the monotony.” You just never get a break from this stifling weather. Looking forward to getting back to Athens.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi Elizabeth!
    no problem, glad I could help at all. I went thru the same frustration. Most Carrefours have a department store and supermarket together.
    oh, Houston! I am sure you are ready to get back over here. so you are on your way over?
    good!
    I’m in NeaIonia. (kind of between central and Northern Athens.)We have it pretty good out here. Great shopping! you can walk to everything, too.

you mean the small stores were rude too? (it might be because you are in the more central area, out in the ‘burbs, maybe they are friendlier.)
    that’s really uncool. went thru a lot of the same thing here but I feel lucky that in this suburb, most of the stores know and do business with my fiance’s family, and as soon as they figured out what house I belonged to, were nice as pie to me. LOL
    I have noticed though, that saying Yassas, with a smile, or Yassas, kalimera/kalispera seems to work wonders. I just ignore the rude ones, refuse to give them my business after that, and try to not let thier negativity rub off on me, and it has helped things go smoother.
    (The most sucessful stores here big or small, I think have learned that if you are friendly, you get more business!)

We usually have a bit of fun trying to practise my Horrible greek and thier limited English when I stop in some place. it breaks the ice, anyway.
    I haven’t had any negative reactions yet from being American here.
    the rudeness I got was at the big supermarkets.

The first time i went alone i came home ready to cry! HA HA it wasn’t because of just that, it’s just everything is so overwhelming when you first get here, and then that just doesn’t help! it was some of my first contact in public with Greeks, and I was not forming a great opinion at that moment in time!(it doesn’t help I only know a few words of Greek)

I am sure there has to be a supermarket or two and a department store in your area.
    I was in
    Oklahoma before I moved here, but I am originally from Norfolk, V.A. I know humidity- it sucks!
    it’s been raining in Athens a lot lately, but it isn’t too humid now, as it’s cooling down. I think it will be nice by time you get here.
    good luck on your trip.

p.s. Elizabeth, don’t know if you noticed it or not when you were here- you might not have had to buy any- MAKE-UP is like 3 or 4 times MORE here than in the states! buy whatever you use enough to hold you over, it will be worth it.
    even lower range stuff like loreal lipsticks, ect. and max factor are outrageous. you could easily buy estee lauder or lancome at home for some of the prices you pay for the cheaper stuff here!
    so if you use anything like lancome, dior, or lauder… buy before you leave! because they are even more outrageous than the lower end stuff.
    example:
    I was Desperate for some powder.All I could find was what they had in the carrefour, nothing decent, really. (I didn’t know about Hondo’s or anything yet.) I paid 12 Euros for a compact of MAYBELINE!!!! no mirror, no applicator, just a thingy of powder!
    and for christ sake, it was maybeline! LOL
    hope that gives you an idea of what I mean.
    loreal lipstick 15 Euros…
    AGH!

oh, and if you go to the Hondo’s (pretty decent place) generally, downstairs is like how we shop in the states, you pick what you want, take to the counter- upstairs they wait on you, and have the higher end products/perfumes,ect.

OK, I looked on the map- My sugesstion is this: head south to Nea Smirni for shopping.it’s really close to you, supposedly has good shopping. I know it’s decent.
    not sure where everything is as far as the streets,ect. but can find out.(my fiance’s brother has a cafe there- stop in! ‘NS Square’ near the Sephora)

I’m on the opposite side of Athens from you, LOL
    so I’m not as familliar with your area. but I am sure being so close to downtown, that the big chain stores are around closeby.
    if not, head to one of the subu
    rbs, and shop there.
    might be more relaxed/friendlier.(worth a try.)
    have you been up to Maroussi or Kifissia to shop? nice.There are quite a few ‘foriegn’ families/working/living around kifissia, so they might be more accustomed to our type of customer service.

anyway, my 2 cents, sorry to run on so long everyone.
    [:D]
    Do I win the award for longest post in history?

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Oh, that is too funny about the makeup! That’s my business. I sell high-end cosmetics like Clinique, Bobbi Brown, Estee, Lancome. I had an arsenal of stuff I left there – like a 5 year supply. I took like $2000 worth in my carry ons. I’m going to be selling from Greece but it will be shipped out of the US. But since Europe is one of my biggest buyers, I know all about the pricing.

As for the shops, well, I just noticed people don’t smile and say hello to each other generally. Most of the women I call Sourface. Some are nice but no one in Greece bothers to fake a smile like in the US. If they’re miserable, it’s all over their faces.

And I smile at them on the metro and they look at me like I’m abnormal. Absolutely will not smile back.

Anyway, want to get together when I get back? We can go for one of those $6 cups of coffee. Just is nice to talk with a fellow American.

Okay, off to the dentist. So much to do before I leave.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

Hi All, try AB for some of the other things, it’s the only place I can get marmite and decent cheddar cheese, if you go to the big ones they have loads of dofferent stuff and Dijon mustard!!! think I have also seen seaweed etc so check it out.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Elizabeth!
    how ironic! ha ha
    yes, i know the sourface all too well. it is definitely something different. you’re right, a lot of the women here just look miserable and bitchy, all the time. I’m not sure why, but I know I don’t want to be like them. strange thing, after a day out of no one smiling at you, it feels quite wierd/sometimes depressing!
    I kind of feel like an alien at times!LOL
    yes…ah, the 6 dollar coffee that isn’t worth it-oh wait, we’re not talking about starbucks! HA HA
    we’ll definitely have to meet up. there is other American women here in Athens too. hopefully we can all meet up I think it would be fun.
    have a good trip over!
    (when will you be here?)

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Greetings to Nikanne and thanks. I did research AB online while I was there. Just need to find these places. Last time I wasn’t there long enough to really need them.

And to Jenn…I leave in 5 weeks – the 28th of Nov. I have $1 million+ in merchandise (retail value) to sell or transfer out to the person shipping for me (while I’m in Greece) before I leave. So it’s a LOT of work. I sell way below retail though so I won’t be getting $1 mil cash for it.

Just stuff like updating all my credit cards, my driver’s license, dentist trips, etc. is a lot to do.

And I’ve been shopping like crazy. Personally, I’d rather buy things here on sale that I like and pay the extra shipping than have to hunt them down in Greece. I figure w/ the exchange rate, it works out about the same and it’s easier for me to find what I want here.

So I have 2 extra pieces going plus 2 overweights – will be $300 but I got great sales on things so I think that’s reasonable.

Okay, back to work now. I’m 37 by the way but no kids and have lived in LA most of my life, so I have a younger mentality. In LA, 40 is the new 30. 😉

How old are you guys?

P.S. It’s the negative energy that all the frowning gives off that gets to you there. In the US, we’re definitely prone to give off positive energy even if we’re miserable inside. But it does tend to cheer you up!

watson
    Participant
    Neophyte

You’re right about the negative/positive energy. The thing I love most about going back to England is that everyone strikes up a conversation with you & you part from each encounter with a little smile on your face so by the end of the day you’re beaming! Whenever I come back here I have to make an effort not to smile or say please/thank you. Yes, I know I could anyway, but I get a perverse pleasure from playing their game (perfect double agent!)

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Elizabeth, Watson,
    SO true about the negativity.
    Watson, it’s the same for me! I’m used to doing the same thing.
    I’m getting used to it, though, but I refuse to let it get to me.
    I’ve even converted the MIL…(has that EVER been done in the history of Greece?!LOL)
    she I think had fallen into that trap, and when I first got here seemed really miserable at times, never laughed,ect. now I have her laughing all the time, and going out to the cinema with her girlfriends and NOT obsessively cleaning the house… and she says, eh, nevermind, ‘Plaka’ is more important! I can’t believe the positive change in her. I think sometimes it’s worth the effort, sometimes, obviously not.(like in the general public)
    mark one down for the non-conformists! :)

Sometimes I do the polite thing I am used to, sometimes not. hard not too, though!
    ironically, it’s so amusing to me internally to be ‘different’ with politeness /smiles,ect. that it seems to naturally counteract all the negativity floating around.At first it was really confusing/off-putting, now it’s like a game. 😉
    I actually laughed while in line at the carrefour one time, I couldn’t hold it in watching some things, and I am sure they all thought I was certifiably crazy, wich made it EVEN FUNNIER.

Elizabeth- I was doing the mad dash before I left too!
    It always seems there is too much to do before leaving, and I always forget something…
    hence, the reason I started this thread, LOL

I do see the logic though in paying the extra to bring some stuff over, the ease factor in not having to go thru hunting everything is really worth it!

and I do believe 40 is the new 30, everywhere now. Thank God! (not there yet, but gives me hope!)

Nikanne, I
    haven’t been to an A&B yet… curious, though.
    are they better than Carrefour?

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Well, don’t think I’m going to need the stores after all. I thought it over and I stocked up for a year – 30 bottles of Ken’s dressing, 30 packs of seaweed sheets, and the list goes on. I’m even shipping over the little coffee creamers as I had to blend 3 different types in Greece to get it close to Coffeemate.

It will cost $500 to get the 500 books I bought PLUS 300 lbs. of food products and my sushi bowls, Swiffer stuff, etc. over but I think it’s well worth it.

With the exchange rate, even if I could find them in Greece it would be the same, even w/ the shipping factored in.

Better to have exactly what I want and not have to hunt it down.

Don’t you guys miss stuff from home? I find even the mayonnaise tastes different but so far, I’ve resisted the urge to toss in a Costco-size gallon of it. [;)]

And now back to work….

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

Hi Jenn, you must try AB they have different things than Carrefour and tend to stock more American produce. I have found most of the stuff I creve there, only thing I can’t get now is Bisto and black treacle and some Scottish stuff which you can’t even find in England!!! lol

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

quote:

Originally posted by nikanne

and some Scottish stuff which you can’t even find in England!!! lol

They have live haggis here? How do they catch them, or do they import them?

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

lol rurpled, read properly, I CANT get the scottish things here, how on earth am I going to find a heather strewn hill covered in scotch mist at 5 o clock in the morning (which is where you catch live haggis) in Greece!![:D][:D]

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

The thing I missed most over the summer was salad dressing and of course, LETTUCE! Oh yes, I bought myself some seeds and if I have to have a little garden growing in my kitchen, so be it.

On AB…I will definitely check it out. I just don’t want to count on something and find that a key ingredient to making something is missing.

Oh, anyone find the sizes just crazy? Why is everything so small? I have to buy like 3 jars of pasta sauce to make one meal.

Everything in the US is supersized but nice because you only have to buy it once every 6-12 months.

Does the UK have anything like Costco – stocks items that come in enormous sizes – like someone would buy for a family of 10?

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

Lettuce: you can get lettuce here, but you have to ask the greengrocer for it, as he will keep it in the fridge.

Im suprised you didn’t see it in the market.

Marouli = lettuce, sometimes though they will have what they call salad (salata) this is lettuce too, just a different sort

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

I did find the romaine. And I think they had some green leaf. I am really addicted to the spring mix – mix of baby lettuces. And the Boston Bibb.

When I was there all summer, I basically ate the same thing every day which wasn’t bad but any longer than 3 months, I’m going to need some variety.

Oh, and for the Romaine, I have about 14 bottles of Ken’s Caesar coming with me. It’s the best and even w/ the shipping, is cheaper than buying the stuff they sell in the stores.

BTW, I don’t drink or smoke, so if I don’t have something to look forward to for dinnner, it’s going to be rough living there long-term. [:)]

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

I can’t find coffee mate here :( yes I use milk. it’s ok but not the same…probably better for me anyway.
    they have swiffer stuff and American mayonaise here. i saw it.
    oh, wow…I am sure my parents are really proud right now thier mensa member is discussing this LOL (rolling over in thier graves?!)
    I don’t care, dammit, it’s completely relevant! people need to eat and have comfort 😉
    anyway, I can’t find coffeemate…
    Nikanne, thank you, I will try A n B! :)
    going to the planetarium this afternoon maybe can make a stop if I see one- LOL life in greece is SO much wierder than anywhere else!
    sorry for rambling…need more coffee!

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Think initially when you are over here (or thinking of coming over) you think that you won’t be able to cope without this or that. But eventually you do or you find a local alternative and you kind of forget about all the products that were so much a part of your life back home … Well that’s at least what I’ve found.

I really like those bags of mixed salad leaves that we have in the supermarkets back home. But there is nothing like a Greek cos lettuce I find. Generally find the fresh produce over here to be tastier – specially stuff like tomatoes and stuff which at least has been mostly ripened in the sun and does not tend to be all homogeneous-looking and flavourless. As for salad dressings – guess it’s all just a matter of different tastes but I much prefer the Greek way of dressing a lettuce salad with olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice now. Can’t believe I used to smother the stuff in Heinz salad cream when I was growing up! LOL. I found some great Dijon mustard at Carrefour too Jenn – I assume that since it is a French supermarket chain they know what they are doing in the Dijon mustard department!!

10 years ago was bringing bags of spices over with me everytime I cam to visit but now I don’t bother since I can always nip into Psyrri to the Pakistani shops if there is something I really need. The only think I bring over now is a bottle of my dad’s home-made lime pickle.

Another thing I have looked for (especially at Christmas time – but is also useful for Chinese cooking) is Sherry. Has anyone seen any over here?

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

hi Domino, AB used to have a very nice sherry but don’t know if they still do, will check next time im in!! I think the only christmas thing i missed when my kids were growing up were christmas crackers!! You can get them now in M&S, but 15 years ago there were none and I didn’t like asking eople to send them all the time!! I agree with you I have got used to the food here, and as you said the fruit and veg is 10 times better than anywhere else when it is in season. I just go with what is in stock and looks fresh, don’t eat any inported fruit and veg at all. Must admit though the only thing I do get people to bring are tea bags, they are so expensive here and not quite the same taste!! bit like Jenn and her coffee mate!!! Luckily they are light and my mum brings about 1000 over every year to do me!!!

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Jenn, did I mention the Coffee-mate or is that just coincidence? I’ve actually looked into getting the individual creamers but it’s so expensive to ship over.

Not kidding, if they would still allow us liquids on board, I would have carried a bag w/ 2 – 1/2 gallons on the plane.

I ended up having to mix 3 different types of cream/milk together to get the coffee right.

Anyway, do you want the powder? I went and got the huge tubs (500 servings) for about $4 and am shipping over like 6. I figure I can add water, blend and turn it into the liquid kind. I hate just adding the straight powder. Office flashbacks.

Want me to ship you a canister or two? No problem, really. I’ll just add them to the boxes and we can meet.

Domino…I know what you mean, you do learn to adjust. I find that if I have something on hand, I don’t really want it so much but if I know it’s back across the ocean, I want it 10 times more. So it’s all a psychological thing. I did fine for 3 months but I did miss some things.

And I need the light dressing. The olive oil, while delicious, is way to fattening. That’s one reason I’m shipping so much. I need so low-cal food items.

It’s amazing with all I have to do here, my biggest concerns are my coffee creamer and salad dressing. A bit crazy to be sure.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

LOL thanks A55imilate :)
    Domino- oh, the vegetables! I know what you mean! the first time i ate a tomato here, I was in shock! i said mmm, mmm, and had a surprised look on my face, they all thought i had lost my mind, i am sure, LOL I tried to explain, that our veggies in the states all taste like plastic, I hadn’t had a tomato like that probably since I was a child- I think I had actually forgot they had taste!
    All together though, I don’t feel i really ‘need’ anything from back home, but sometimes when people mention things, I do miss them.
    who mentioned on another thread mountain dew?
    anyway, i miss that too!
    BUT- in a lot of ways, I am glad I don’t have certain things, because it just makes one more problem for me here if i get really dependent on using something.
    I’m pretty easy going on all of it.
    Elizabeth- thank you So much for the coffee mate offer! I actually use the powder, LOL (gross, i know)
    but, I’ve gotten used to just using milk now, so I think i’ll be ok.
    what I do miss is the flavored coffeemates. yummm

An interesting side to all of this is- when I am an expat- generally in the mediterreanean and north african/middle east areas… I have found my health improves almost immediately. BUT- i eat what locals do, every day.
    when I go back to the states, I eat horrible crap, and thus my health plummets again.
    so for me, It’s better to just eat what everyone else does.
    (after 6 months in Morocco, my doctor couldn’t believe my improvement, and asked who I had went to- but I hadn’t seen any doctor at all while there!)

p.s. Nikanne- I am a big tea drinker, too. and have been pretty disapointed with the tea here in the supermarkets! i am sure there is a better place to get tea, a small shop or something, but I don’t have a clue where.

Domino–Pleaseeeee tell me
    where there are some Pakastani shops who sell spices and things like henna. i’m desperate. I can’t find cardamom for cofee or simple natural henna anyplace! I also would love to find the 7 spice blend used so much in lebanese cooking- but gave up on that idea. sumak? probably impossible to ever get again…

ok, sorry for rambling -AGAIN! LOL

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Jenn,

Will PM back when I get a chance. I was at Wal-mart thinking of you and scanned the spice aisle for cardamom and found it! It’s $10. If it was a little cheaper I would have just picked you up one. That’s one expensive spice!

But no problem tossing it in a suitcase if you want it. And I’m happy to pick you up flavored Coffee-mates and ship them over. You can keep them for when you want a treat.

Just let me know while I’m still on my shopping spree. I think I’m bringing all of Wal-mart back with me. (I so love my 24-hour stores. I do WM runs at 2 a.m. all the time.)

And I think that keeps us still on topic – bringing over stuff we need from the US. I’m happy to help you out on some must-haves.

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

O.k. appologies in advance as this is still slightly off topic, but this thread really seems to highlight the diferences between those who want to live here because of the Greek lifestyle & those who are obviously living here & still want to retain all the trappings of their previous consumer dedicated & may I say pampered lifestyle ?
    I suppose quite a lot of people having to work for a living are here mainly only because of work commitments & therefore have no real interest in assimilating a local way of life (pity!) but sometimes the “whinging” over none available salad dressing & lettuce etc seems a little sad !

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ha ha. I was waiting for that! Actually — and you’ll see my graduate degree in psychology at work here — it’s pretty smart.

I was there for 3 months in the summer and lived on tzaziki, cucumber, feta and tomato sandwiches. I loved them and ate little else, mostly because there wasn’t much else to eat.

I immersed myself in everything – went to the liaki every week by myself and muddled through with my weak Greek, sat in the basement with the OTE guy on a Sat. morning as he tried to fix my phone line, figured out the metro/tram system and streets of Athens on my own, etc. Trust me, no one is holding my hand and guiding me around.

HOWEVER, many times I wanted some variety and the stores don’t have it, at least not those near me. So here I am in the States surrounded by everything I like and I say, why not ship it back over?

That way, when I’m there, I’m not looking longing on the grass on the other side of the fence and not being happy with my own grass – this way I can have my cake and eat it to, as we say in the US. Best of both worlds.

So mixed metaphors aside, I think bringing back some items you like and can’t get there helps you adjust more easily to a country where there is very little American TV, limited movie rentals, a foreign language being spoken around you and some very unfriendly customer service at every turn.

So if my salads with my salad dressings offer me some comforts at night while I’m living in a foreign country, don’t deny me a few simply pleasures from home. The less you want from home, the easier and faster you’ll adjust.

P.S. I’m not even Greek so it’s all foreign to me.

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

If I could add, John, your criticisms of us are judgmental and unfounded. You have no idea who we are or why we are in Greece. Are we pampered? Maybe, but so what? That’s where we are coming from and Greece is where we’ve ended up. It’s an adjustment.

Yes, I’ve lived in Beverly Hills, Malibu and Santa Monica. So Athens is taking some getting used to. Gone is my luxury vehicle and I’m now using mass transportation.

I’m used to huge supermarkets and shopping miles within just a mile or so from me where everything you want is at your fingertips and you can pretty much buy it at any time of the day.

So taking that into account, if all I want is some salad dressing and coffee creamer to make my stay a bit easier, then I don’t think that’s a lot to ask for. You have no idea how much I’m giving up or why I’m there in Greece so before you start criticizing us about our whining, maybe you should gather a bit more information about us to better understand our perspectives.

I’m not Greek and the 3 months I spent there this summer, I spent 95% of it completely by myself learning the entire city and culture with absolutely no help. So don’t tell me about not wanting to assimilate. I will assimilate faster by transitioning with a few things that are still from my own culture.

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

There’s nothing wrong in living somewhere and trying to improve it. If we all sat back and said “well thats Greece for you” the potential and future of the country will stagnate. Of course it depends if you think 24 hour shopping is an improvement or not. But good customer services and being polite costs nothing and gains so much. When in the UK or USA I am sure we all complained about things there and looked for the things that make our lives easier and more enjoyable. Why stop just because we live somewhere different from our birth place? Does that give us the right just to accept things for what they are and not try to be part of society and to be part of making life better for all? To me assimilating includes trying to make things better for ourselves and those around us. We all have an experience we can use to enhance our surroundings. Change is inevitable and we should use our experiences to push that change in the right direction.

Support small businesses like the local butcher and greengrocer, because we know what its like to lose them. But also complain about shody service and bad manners as these are the things a country that makes a lot of its gdp from tourism needs to improve on.

If no one complains, then no one knows that things can be better.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

hey, am I included in this criticism too? i don’t want to be left out, LOL I actually want to buy a dryer *gasp*! because I find it much easier to use than a balcony, especially on rainy days.
    and, I have a lot to do each day. i’m not pampered. I have a paraplegic fiance…(and a majority of us here know the attitude about disability in Greece.don’t get me started)
    and I certainly don’t complain about people who might be pampered, who cares?! I have my own sh*t to worry about.

I’m not Greek, my fiance is. I AM assimilating. but you know, none of this is black and white.
    And I have to agree completely with A55imilate and Elizabeth on these points.
    and really, it’s not any of your business if me, A55imilate, Elizabeth or any other expat wants to eat salad dressing, or any other small thing to bring them a bit of comfort WHILE they ARE assimilating to thier new home here in Greece.

Wether or not people are here working temporarily, or are like me, starting a new life permanently, shouldn’t be seen as a negative.
    we support the economy here, and help things progress.
    something that in my opinion is definitely not negative.
    anyway, my 2 cents.

Anyway john, you have a right to your opinion, I totally respect that. and yes, it is a pity when people come to other countries and don’t try to enjoy/learn what the culture has to offer… but, I simply don’t think this is the case here with these folks.

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

I think John’s commment was quite offensive. At first I just laughed but then, upon re-reading it, it really made me angry, esp. for that he made an apology for going off topic but not for the offensive statements he made.

There’s a lot in Greece you have to put up with but I’m not whining – I’m doing something about it. If I’m used to a certain way of life, why put myself back two decades in the name of being more like the traditional Greek culture?

Give me a break. It’s a narrow-minded way of thinking and to be honest John, when people speak in such a manner, I perceive them to not that intelligent – to make such a broad statement based on such little information about the people you’re addressing, it’s not only not a smart thing to do, it makes you come across as rude and dislikable.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

quote:

Originally posted by john m

O.k. appologies in advance as this is still slightly off topic, but this thread really seems to highlight the diferences between those who want to live here because of the Greek lifestyle & those who are obviously living here & still want to retain all the trappings of their previous consumer dedicated & may I say pampered lifestyle ?
    I suppose quite a lot of people having to work for a living are here mainly only because of work commitments & therefore have no real interest in assimilating a local way of life (pity!) but sometimes the “whinging” over none available salad dressing & lettuce etc seems a little sad !

There definitely are a lot of foreigners here that are not willing to assimilate into the culture, learn the language and do as the Greeks do – but; so what, what’s the problem here?

As for moaning and pampered lifestyles; the same can be said about Greeks. Greek people will moan about a great deal of things; when it’s sunny it’s too hot, when it’s winter it’s too cold. Rainy days are of ‘biblical proportions’ on the news, Greeks complain about the crap service in shops, the lack of quality goods, the cost of living, the fact that the other malakes can’t drive for crap, the police in this country are awful, the politicians in Greece are thieves, there are too many foreigners… etc etc.

Re: the pampered lifestyle comment – I consider Greek families to pamper their families much more than Brits. The family will have a family home plus a holiday home to pass on to their kids, the kids live at home and don’t pay rent or bills until they get married and move in to their family house.

Just a few observations..

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Rurpled and Elizabeth, again, I agree.
    I too really think John’s comments were narrow minded and misdirected.
    It didn’t cause me too much offense, though, because perhaps… he isn’t in the same intellectual level as some members here.I usually sum up this kind of thing to that, and just ignore it.(I consider the source.)
    I suppose when people say things like that, they can’t possibly imagine there may be more to a person’s situation than first appears on the surface, and they make general assumptions. Perhaps they are incapable of any kind of empathy, either. who knows.
    I just find it incredibly ignorant to assume anything about anyone here without knowing anything about us. Perhaps one day he’ll evolve a little more…or, at least, think before speaking. maybe we should have pity for the less enlightened. LOL
    how does John know what kind of lifestyle any of us lived before coming here? it’s impossible. especially me. I live very far from a consumer dedicated pampered lifestyle, which is quite evident in a previous post of mine, right here in this thread.
    what I find interesting is why… why did he assume such, just because we discussed finding a few food items?
    anyway, I consider the source, and now have less respect for this person, and will just disregard comments from this person. I don’t have the time nor inclination to discuss anything, even something as trivial as salad dressing, with such a negative person.
    ta ta

p.s. Rurpled- bravo.EXACTLY. the amount of ‘pampering’ here that goes on is quite rediculous compared to how families live in the united States, and many other countries.
    come on, Moms who still do everything for thier grown sons? (laundry, cooking, ironing… et.et.et.)
    I think we all know what I mean!

anyway- “walk a mile in someone else’s shoes” before you judge, or make assumptions about other people’s lives.
    you might learn something, or
    , at least, save yourself from looking REALLY stupid.
    LOL
    the end

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

Wow ! – I go away for a few hours to cut down a few trees for firewood & miss the storm ! Sorry if I touched a few nerves there, didn’t mean to direct any offence at any particular individual & my remarks were in my opinion a generalised view, my view that is of how I perceive things at a personal level & as such open to discussion in a friendly way ! Of course I don’t know other peoples circumstances, surely that is one of the things open for discussion? Moaning – we all do that, it’s part of human nature. From a personal point of view I live in an area where the natives are friendly, customer services are good & I am a part of the community & I miss very little from my previous existance. Having re read my origional post, I find nothing offensive in it, however, if due to cultural differences that has been the case, then I apologise, but at least I do have the good manners not to insult the intelligence of anyone else. Would love to carry on the discussion – perhaps a different thread however would be more applicable ?

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

John, you don’t have good manners at all. If you did, you would never had made a post that was so rude and offensive. And yes, to say something like that about what “whiners” we are and how we are so “sad” when I don’t even know you…such a statement clearly lacks social intelligence and awareness.

You said it because you meant it, so don’t try to backpeddle now and act like you didn’t do anything wrong. Even your “apology” was offensive.

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

Reading all of the above, I have to say that I am grateful to GIH members for being open enough to mention what all problems they have run into in Greece. I just saw my son off at the airport in Memphis this morning, headed for Greece. Because of being able to pick up so much info from you all, I was able to forewarn him about various things that might pop up while he is there. He knows upfront not to extend his hand flat out as it is offensive, don’t stare at someone for any length of time because it will be thought that he is giving someone the “evil eye” LOL, if his 85 year old aunt gums his shoulder, she is not insane, it’s just some kind of custom. [:0]

See what all I have learned here – I was also able to load him up with twinkies & ding dongs for when he gets sensory overload trying to learn a whole new culture. I laugh at some of the “moaning” and can’t wait until my husband and I are able to move there. It all sounds wonderful – the good and the bad. [:)]

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

No “backpeddling” intended & if you find an apology offensive, I would suggest that this is your problem, not mine. The apology was genuine & as I would reitterate, why come to Greece if you can’t do without the little things, just imagine the problems you will have with the big ones ! But hey, lets not get personal here. The aim of the forum, is for advice & discussion. Just a thought however – if social intelligence & intellect are based on salad dressing & vegetables, then yes I’m afraid I am well down the scale ! S.J.S. – Please your help here – if my post here is offensive please advise. Being of limited intelligence obviously hinders my judgement LOL !

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Anyway,
    pass the mountain dew…going to have a sandwich with potato bread, and helman’s mayo now.
    then go throw the clothes in the DRYER.
    LOL
    blah, I don’t care.
    it’s the internet…people say all kinds of stuff.
    and we can’t stop anyone from thinking something about us, wether it’s misdirected, unfounded, or anything.

yes, we all get a bit off topic sometimes. but the topic of THIS thread wasn’t a debate about people assimilating- it was specifically clearly about people shipping things from the states, or whereever else they are at, to help them in some way.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that subject (assimilation) or discussing it,of course- but perhaps in a new thread? and I could do without, and be much more open to hearing someone’s ideas if it didn’t include directing words like ‘whining’ and ‘sad’ at someone enjoying thier conversation with the others.
    oh, whatever.
    Mary, pass the twinkies! LOL
    (shame on me,pampered consumerist!)[:D]

p.s. off topic! Mary, sending you a big hug. Hope all goes well for your son.
    I’m glad anything posted here has helped you.
    it’s helped me a lot, too.
    [;)]
    but dammit, I didn’t even like twinkies or want one until you mentioned them! LOL
    waahhhhh! I want my twinkies!

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Jenn, who is this John character and is he for real?

Yes, John, I find you strongly lacking in intellect and your apologies are not genuine because you always manage to throw in another insult while feigning contrition.

It’s none of your business why I’m in Greece and if I miss salad dressing from home and choose to bring it, do you really need to make such a stink about it – about how sad we are? You really don’t get how rude your remarks are – how sad for you!

So let me reiterate (and notice how I spell the word correctly), get a reality check and go troll somewhere else. If you don’t like what we’re talking about, then stay out of here. It was a fine thread until you decided to take a tug and unravel the whole thing.

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Just curious John…this sense of superiority of yours and your insistence on how people should behave when they come to Greece, what is this founded upon? Are you a descendent of Zeus or something?

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

Jen – John didn’t like twinkies either, until I mentioned he couldn’t get them over there LOL!

I know it won’t take him anytime at all to put together a list of what he thinks he needs from the states. His bags were packed so full, I was afraid they wouldn’t all fit in the plane [:(] I assured him that they would most certainly have blue jeans in Greece instead of his having to buy tons of them here for his trip — but they don’t have HIS jeans!!

He’ll have fun adjusting, but it’s going to take a while. Yes, I do know what john m. is talking about when he says that some people are just spoilt — look up spoilt in any dictionary and you’ll find my son [;)]

If I want to think a happy thought, I just think about the adjustments he’ll have to make there – it makes me chuckle inside just thinking about what a culture shock it will be for him. He’s easy going, so he’ll adjust quickly enough, but I am going to have fun listening to him “whine” about what he can & can’t do, what he can & can’t eat, etc. etc. LOL

Even though a person moves to another part of the world, it doesn’t mean they’re going to be prepared for what is no longer available – even if you know ahead of time that something’s not going to be available, it doesn’t stop you from missing it. That goes along with being homesick – no matter how wonderful your new situation is, there’s still those comforts of home that you miss.

And to keep this on topic — it cost him a small fortune to pay shipping for all his bags that he took with him! That load of Twinkies that he took with him might be the last ones he ever sees [:D]

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Absolutely, Mary. Your son will be very happy for the extras you included.

I’m paying roughly $800 to ship stuff over but to be honest, I’m mainly doing it for economics. Stuff is so much cheaper here in the US. It’s better to buy a huge bottle of something here, ship it and have it last 6 months than to have to keep paying several Euros for a tiny bottle of something that you go through in a few weeks.

Also, I think to find good quality bedding and the like is going to be very expensive. Better to use the 20% off Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons and get nice sheets, etc. and save the time and money trying to find them in Greece.

Lastly, the clothes and quality shoes were just so expensive in Athens. So I bought enough for the year and now I won’t need to buy anything there.

What some call whining I call planning ahead and being cost conscious.

Every night when I’m back in Athens, I’ll post my evening menu for John’s benefit. Jenn, you’re invited for dinner (coffee with coffe-mate will be served later with baklava). John, sadly, is not.

Oh, and John, if I might mention…when the 19 Greek students were at my college getting their MBAs, would you like me to list the stuff THEY took back to Greece from the US??

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

Elizbeth, I’m curious. I’m an avid Ebay shopper – can you not purchase items over the internet and have them shipped to Greece for less than what it cost to ship them over yourself from the States — such as the bedding?

I’m sending my son, John, a pickle recipe and a packet of seeds for pickling cucumbers. He loves pickles, but I’m curious to see if he can grow the pickling cucumbers there since they already have the salad cucumbers. Maybe he won’t be able to get the pickling spices – but I’d prefer sending over the spices instead of the jars of pickles. My son, being a male, will probably talk one of his aunts into growing the cucumbers, then making the pickles [:)]

I can’t think of anything I would want to buy in quanity and send to Greece except the cappuccino mix (Hills Bros. is one) that you mix with hot water — I mix that with instant hot cocoa and that’s my chocolate fix for the day. I sent a can of mix for each of my sister’n laws (6 total). Even if they don’t like it, being used to a much stonger coffee, they can all save them for me. See, I’ll ship stuff over to the in-laws little by little and spread out the shipping cost. By the time I get over there, I’ll have a lifetime of instant cappuccino mix and whatever else I can’t live without [:D]

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Surprisingly, coffee varieties are in great supply in Greece and I even found an inexpensive Columbian type at my small local market that I really like. They have all kinds of powder mixes.

More than anything, I just find what is so expensive are the packaged items – pasta sauce, ketchup, candy, etc. The sizes are much smaller and the exchange rate makes a difference. For example, I believe you only get maybe 8 oz. (going from memory here) of salad dressing (french is popular and I hate it) for over 2 Euros. So that’s almost $3. Chicken bullion, which I can buy in a huge jar, is only in the small cubes so it’s better to send over 10 times in a jar and have it all year. That sort of thing.

I just shipped myself a box of stuff – 43 lbs. for $56 so that’s about $1.30/lb. surface mail.

You can just keep that in mind if you want to send anything over for John.

As for ordering online, yes, you can. I just thought it’d be easier to get everything I want now and be done with it. Often I find when I order things, I get them and they are different than I anticipated so better to pick them out myself.

It’s been my recreation in an otherwise massive pile of work.

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

You could always make your own salad dressing :)
    http://www.cooksrecipes.com/salads/salad-dressings.html
    Ketchup ism’t used much in Greece, hence a small market makes the prices higher.
    A lot of foods are prepared with fresh tomatoes. Instead of boiling beans in water , for example they are cooked in a sauce made from tomatoes, onions and garlic. This tastes so much nicer, to me.
    Also another reason you may not get what you want is the Greeks tend to eat fresh fruit and vegetables, and so you only get things that are in season.

You can get all sorts of coffee, there are shops that specialise in it. One chain is Coffeeways, they have many different coffees and its ground fresh for you. You don’t need to buy prepackaged powders :)

If you like shopping then I am sure you will find most stuffs you need, and after you have been here a while you won’t miss the food you miss now. In fact when your away from Greece you will start to miss some Greek foods :)

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thanks for the link (the URL is including the period so the link won’t work unless you remove it). Only problem with that is say for Caesar, I couldn’t find at my local store (the big one) mustard powder or Worchestershire sauce for making it.

Anyway, everyone can live and adjust and enjoy anyway they like. For me, I’d rather have something and not want it than want it and not have it. Others may consider me spoiled but I don’t see why you should have to make do with what’s around you if you can import in some variety.

In fact, I think even Greece participates in importing and exporting of goods.

watson
    Participant
    Neophyte

My first (British) reaction was not to get involved – but here I am anyway. Whilst I didn’t find John’s comments offensive, I do disagree with him as I felt he was generalising too much. Missing certain products from home does not mean we can’t live without them, notr does it mean we have ‘no real interest in assimilating a local life’ (to quote John). After over 20years here I still miss – and bring back whenever I can- tea bags, custard powder, gravy powder, suet etc. However, considering I speak fluent Greek, read Greek newspapers, watch Greek TV, buy Greek CDs, dance traditional Greek dances and ‘belly’ dance up on the tables (yes, fraid so) and cook the whole range of Greek food (even making my own Easter biscuits & sweet bread in such large quantities I take them to the local bakers on huge oven trays to be baked – how traditional can you get?) I do not consider myself to be ‘sad’ if I feel like having a whinge with other ex-pats over which little treats from home make life here a bit richer. We’re all on this forun because we love/like Greece but that doesn’t mean we have to totally discard our previous lives & traditions – otherwise there’d be no Christmas cakes, puddings & crackers, no Easter egg hunts, no Halloween or Pancake Day. Nor would there be a GIH Curry Meet & Greet!

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

That’s a nice way of putting things. And I think such a generalization on John’s part is a narrow way of thinking. One of the things I like most about the Internet and our modern way of life is the rich cultural diversity and being able to experience the world, something people could not do years ago, at least not without great expense.

I very much enjoy experiencing other cultures, learning their customs and traditions and enjoying their food. I speak a little of 8 languages, none very well, but always learning and am quick to try new dishes of any origin. I think to limit one’s self to the offerings of just one nation is like eating vanilla ice cream every day when Baskin Robbins is offering 31 flavors.

BostonGirl
    Participant
    Neophyte

I’ve been reading this thread and thinking “HUH?!” most of the time. I’ve been here for about 10 years and have found that many of the American food products mentioned on this thread, are available here at Vasilopoulos supermarkets. Heinz ketchup, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, Hellman’s salad dressing, Thomas’ english muffins, cream cheese, cottage cheese… cappuccino mix (not Hills Bros though)… Maxwell House coffee…, Vermont maple syrup, pancake mix, Betty Crocker cake mixes & ready frostings… etc etc

The only food product I like to get from the States sometimes is a package or two of flavored bread crumbs and/or Peppridge Farm bread stuffing. I find it’s more important to stuff my suitcases with Tylenol PM, Tylenol Sinus relief, etc (which we don’t have here)… and clothes, shoes, makeup, perfume (which is more expensive here).

So that’s my two cents. And two more cents about the troll – just ignore trolls – they are SO not worth our even addressing them. 😉

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

OK all calm down now!!! this is all in fun and has happenend many times before with the “boys” trying to wind us up!!!! Faint memories of Tinsie coming back!! maybe she is in diguise!!!

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Totally covered on makeup and perfume since that’s my business. I have a 5-year supply sitting in Athens.

But where are you shopping? I’m in Neos Kosmos and I have the Dia (so small), a medium-sized store and Galaxia (sp?) which is a decent size store but still doesn’t have much variety.

So where are you getting all this stuff? I need to get out of NK most so glad I found you guys. You’re going to have to show me around.

BostonGirl
    Participant
    Neophyte

OH one more thing – someone mentioned asian ingredients (I love to make chinese recipes) – there are quite a few asian shops around Athens. One I go to often is called “Asia Enterprises” in P. Faliro, E. Pontou 224, 210 98 48 795.

And if you are wondering if there’s a Vasilopoulos supermarket in your area, check http://www.ab.gr – click on ??????????? (fourth choice on the top row)

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

Sorry, but this is what I don’t get.
    Why use mustard powder? you could always use mustard which is plentiful in the stores.
    Im not sure about Worchestershire sauce as I have never tried to buy it. But I will look out for it.
    If you miss Custard powder, why not make the real thing? http://www.deliaonline.com/cookery-school/how-to/how-to-make-custard,50,AR.html The vanilla is available here, before you ask, in little pots with red tops.
    You don’t need gravy powder to make gravy http://www.allthingsfrugal.com/h_gravy.htm
    I’ll ask my local butcher about suet, but as its the fat from around the kidney, I am sure he can supply it, once I have explained what it is.
    Tea-Bags, well yes lipton tea sucks, but I do buy real tea from Coffeeways. They have a good selection. Green tea, earl grey etc.

I think sometimes in our consumer society we all forget that the stuff in the packets is made from real fruit, veg and/or meat products.

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

That’s the difference…I like to cook but not every night. My business is insanely demanding – I work easily 80-100 hours a week so I don’t have time to be running around town gathering ingredients, dragging back on the metro and then making stuff from scratch.

I might do it once in awhile but that’s hours a day to do from scratch by the time you buy it, make it and clean up. I have too much other stuff going on.

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

quote:

Originally posted by esavvides

Totally covered on makeup and perfume since that’s my business. I have a 5-year supply sitting in Athens.

You should know that cosmetics have a shelf life like any product and none last for 5 years.

Concealer Up to 12 months.

Powder 2 years.

Cream & gel cleansers 1 year.

Eye liner Should be sharpened regularly.
    Will last up to 3 years.

Brushes Wash every 2-3 months in a mild detergent

Sponges Wash weekly & discard monthly

Foundation Check the ingredients: A water-based foundation will last up to 12 months, oil-based will last up to 18 months.

Lip liner Up to 3 years.

Lipstick Some experts say 1-2 years. Others say up to 4 years.

Mascara This product expires the fastest: Throw out after 4 months.

Nail Polish Up to 12 months

source:http://beauty.about.com/od/makeuptrickstips/a/shelflife.htm

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Wow. You’re just a plethora of information, aren’t you? I’ve been selling cosmetics for nearly 7 years and sell over $500,000/year so I’m pretty knowledgeable on the shelf-life of my products but thank you.

This board is getting pretty exhausting with all these people trying to educate you on how you should behave, how you should cook, what you should get used to and not want anymore and how long your cosmetics will last. I am an adult, you know, and I’ve done just fine on my own, but thanks for all the unsolicited information.

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

By the way, if I could pass on my own area of expertise, having worked as a content manager for several dot-coms, that About.com writer doesn’t know what she’s talking about. Call Clinique and ask them the shelf-life of their products and you will get an entirely different list.

Those about.com writers are pretty much volunteers and I don’t consider them authorities on any subject.

But glad to see you are able to use a search engine to garner information. That info above is pretty worthless.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

quote:

By the way, if I could pass on my own area of expertise

NO!!

I will not let you educate me via your unsolicited methodology! [}:)]

100 hours a week eh?! I used to have a job like that, the wage was roughly one euro per hour also. Ahhh the old days, gotta love missing them..

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

LOL wow. everything I could say has already been said.
    lots of good food info. here.
    ummmm, A55imilate, do you use much makeup? LOL (couldn’t help it!)
    Nikanne- too true, I was wondering, too- let’s all remove our posts now, and disapear. LOL
    Elizabeth, I have no idea who John M is, or what his agenda is. I haven’t seen a lot of posts by him here, anyway.guess it takes all types.
    Boston Girl, yeah, me too I’ve found most stuff here. but, I do understand the time thing. if you don’t have the time to go out searching for this stuff, it’s a real pain.
    And what Elizabeth is saying about bedding, shoes,ect. is SO TRUE. it’s crazy here, what you have to pay to get decent quality. we’re very fortunate in the States that we can get good quality shoes, bedding, makeup,appliances,et. without it costing us an arm and a leg. AND i’m not complaining, just pointing out a very factual, evident difference here…IF a person is lucky enough to know this in advance, then they can bring extra shoes or other things with them that might be expensive here.
    I personally had no idea! everything was a shock to me. but luckily for me, although a little frustrating, it isn’t a problem, i’m doing ok enough that paying in Euros won’t hurt me.
    and I can always ask friends over in the states to send me a few things by post. no biggie.
    what I do hope is, if there are others reading all of this, it might help them, BEFORE they come over.
    anyway, with winter coming, I am a little frustrated trying to find a pair of nice boots, and seeing what I consider decent here is like 200 Euros, and I can get them back ‘home’ for probably 60-120 bucks!
    AGH!
    ok,’whining’ over.
    FIN

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Sorry, but I just don’t get these boards. I’m just having a friendly conversation about getting stuff we want from the US to Greece and all of a sudden, everyone is advising me on how I should behave in Greece and to make my own salad dressing and not keep my cosmetics past a certain date.

It makes me feel like a child. I’m an educated, successful adult who has managed okay so far on her own so if you think I’m sad or pathetic or not “Greek” enough or holding onto my makeup too long or wrong for using imported bottled dressing instead of making my own, please, think all the negative things about me you want, but please don’t try to change me.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hot avatar by the way, is that you?

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

With some hair extensions, it’s pretty close but I think I’d be a bit vain to say I’m that good looking. She’s rather flawless due to the fact that she’s a gif but her eyes are why I chose her. She has the same intensity to them that I do. But with hair extensions, it’s a fairly close match.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

LOL Rurpled.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

I notice that esavvides has not mentioned a man in her life. Well, maybe she has but I haven’t read it.

I for one would like to claim interest in this woman with saucy eyes, feisty attitude and one million dollars in makeup stock. Back off lads, she’s mine 😀

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

LOL Rurpled! I swear, no matter what thread it’s in, I can always count on you for a good laugh to brighten my day, you’re a treasure!
    [:D]

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

And wouldn’t you agree, Jenn, that my good humour and pleasant countenance is worth at least.. a million bucks?!

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

HA HA HA Rurpled. you’re a riot. I’m surprised you are still a single lad, it’s true.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

Hi Jenn, was out shopping with my mum last week and we have decided that most cosmetics, perfumes and clothes(m and s) are the same price as in the UK, only problem with that is the wages are at least double in the UK so this does not work out well!!! Try shoeland for shoes it is good or come to my thursday market here in PAtra. You can find any amount of designer clothes and footwear for next to nothing, I have picked up calf leather shoes and boots for around 20-30 euros, and as for the clothes!!! you have to guggle around a bit but is worth it, probably all off the back of a lorry. As for makeup etc, once you have been living in Greece for a few years you will discover that any kind of liquid(nail polish, mascara etc) never lasts a year because they all dry up with the heat in the summer, unless you keep it in the fridge or have air conditioning on all the time!! OK had by 5 mins now up to the rest of you!! by the way think John has gone into hiding lol [:D][:D][:D

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

now, now esavvides….. you really musn’t be too hard on poor john m…. like all of us who you complain of treating you like a little child with our loving and caring advise, john was just being constructive in a fatherly sort of way! It’s just that all of us on this forum are loving, friendly and caring people who only want to help our fellow lonely human being, isolated and suffering from salad cream culture shock in the wilds of athens….. That is why so many of us desire to share our concerned advice with you….. and after all, the purpose of the GIH forum is to share advise and support between ourselves!

Now at the risk of antagonising you further and annoying you in your mistaken belief that we are treating you like a child with our concerned advice…. let me caringly suggest that perhaps (as you are working up to around 100 hours per week), you should consider getting into the Greek pace of life by limiting yourself to no more than 10 hours per WEEK and spending the rest of the time in the kitchen lovingly practicing and preparing Greek delicacies for your husband/partner/loved one/in-laws to impress them and learning to be a good Greek woman….. as the saying goes…. when in Greece, do as the Greeks do…. or something similar anyway….
    That way, you would also be able to get over your missing american ranch dressings, blue cheese dressings etc, (both of which I quite enjoy when in the usa) and support your adopted economy by spending that 1000 US dollars each month which you spend on importing uneccessarry salad dressings etc, on good healthy greek olive oils (of the Kalamata variety of course) and on the award winning Kalamata balsamic vineger, Greek lettuce, etc….. then the local market traders and shop keepers will love you and all become your friends because they will be seeing so much of you spending your money with them, and then america, salad dressings, and all other things associated
    with the usa will become a distant dream belonging to your past, as will your pining for it all! Then you and your family will be happy, healthy, content and fulfilled and you will all live happily ever after! [:D]
    Now believe me…. one day you will thank me for this advice…. at least that is what i always tell my daughter!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

oh… I forgot to add one more valuable piece of advice which was on my mind….
    I would strongly advise you to seriously consider rurpled’s very generous and selfless offer if you happen to be single…. as for my previous advice to be relevant you do need to have a good man…. okay, a man… to cook for, care for, etc…. and if I remember rightly from previous postings on another subject, rurpled has quite a handy stream or irrigation ditch no more than a kilometre or two from his home where you can do his laundry as well….. I’m sure that he is not too demanding as men go…. do consider it…..

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

oh god… i’m ducking and hiding now LOL! Paul you’re really in a cheeky mood today!
    Nikanne, too true about the price/wage thing.
    but for us from the states, there is actually a few basic things that are much less expensive.
    We have a thursday market too, but not with shoes or anything. maybe I will just have to come up there, and have you show me around!
    is there a train from the metro to your town?
    (as I refuse to drive here!)
    I’m getting ready to go out and shop for clothes boots this week…(I need to) but not sure what to do, or wait. undecided.

p.s. A lot of people have treated me in a condesending way since I got to Greece! it’s really annoying, yes, but I ‘ve learned to smile and say oh, yes, thanks, and then just do it how i want, and ignore it.because I can’t change it, it’s just how the Greeks are. Especially the MIL’s. a couple of years ago it might have made me furious, or ruined my relationship i’m in, or made me go ‘back home’ but now, eh… when in Rome. I’ve just become more relaxed, I guess.
    I don’t know. that’s just me, though.
    it’s kind of like tv. change the channel, ignore what you don’t want to see or hear LOL

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

There was I worried about going off topic & look how it goes ! Had a hard day today, only for inconsequential things however, nothing as important as salad dressing or vegetables! just been out saving the planet, or should I say various indigenous bits of it – specifically the carretta carretta (us dinosaurs really have to stick together!) Sometimes life can be a bitch, even for a part time super hero & direct descendant of the Gods of Olympus ! Come on folks however, I have been accused of hi jacking this thread & now it’s gone surreal! Surely it it best left in the safe & more than capable hands of the “coffee morning posse?”
    Thanks Nikanne – that would be a turn up if I was Tinsie ! Oh sorry my posts are still here, can’t be true !
    Hi Paul – Careful, your criticism may be construed as low intellect – hope you checked the spellings ?
    With regard to some other produce – Pickles, no problem growing them here, we grew 25 Dill cucumber plants here & have the same amount of 1.5 kilo jars of pickles from them. Produce from home – just lobby your local supermarket manager- most products have a web site address on the package, we have managed to get quite a few things on the shelves this way. I have managed to source most Chinese & Asian supplies locally (out in the sticks of Kalamata)
    Oh & the Foi Gras & Gessiers we get direct from a contact in France. You see – no need to moan about not getting your “stuff” – grow it or source it locally. If anyone needs help, just give us a shout.

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Wow. I see John is still accusing us(me) of moaning about stuff and then telling me how I can import it from France or grow it locally. Uh, yeah. I think initially I posted that I was shipping stuff I wanted over and growing the types of lettuce that are hard to find in the US.

What I think is you guys feel powerless when you see that females have already solved their problems without your assistance. “How can this be?” they wonder. So Paul and John have had to come to my rescue even though I’m not in need of a lifeline – yet.

As for my marital status. Well, folks, we may have to save that story for another day. Let’s just say for the moment I’m not on the market.

As for the 100-hour work weeks – those are necessary in order to move to Greece. There’s a lot to do and as this is my only recreation – truly – be kind to me in here please. I’ve got a lot to manage in the next 27 days so if you could be supportive instead of critical, it’s much appreciated. Like I said in an earlier post, if you understood my situation and what I’m doing in Greece, you probably wouldn’t be so quick to bedgrudge me my salad dressing.

There’s a very big issue in my life I’m not in here complaining about but it’s one reason I need to be immersed in work (which I enjoy) and need a few other luxury items while in Greece. Otherwise, it’s all a little too much to deal with.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

well, anyway. since we’re off subject a bit-sometimes people need comfort and distractions in their life, and I don’t fault them for it. Especially if they are in very stressful situations.(that might not be known publicly)I’ve been there done that. I have the bad habit of smoking, now. I’m very happy here in Athens now, but before I got here-smoking was a habit that I re-started after caring for my Mother with terminal cancer, alone…I was going thru a very difficult time. yeah, smoking’s really bad for me, and I hope to quit soon, but, as bad as it was, it served a purpose at the time, and no one faulted me for it. It was my ‘thing’ that I turned to or wanted, (kinda like Elizabeth and her dressing.)
    So, if it helps someone to ‘whine’ about ‘things’ they miss or are bringing with them, I don’t mind, i’m not offended, and I certainly wouldn’t assume anything about them. it’s really none of my business, anyway.
    I’m glad these forms are here, wether we share a laugh, gripe (who doesn’t do that?) or trade info. it’s as simple as that for me.

As for me, I started this thread, NOT because I am or was being pampered, or trying to bring products ‘from home’ with me,(i’m assimilating quite well, thanks)…
    I needed data from my pc at home, and several important paintings that a gallery wanted to exhibit, and some supplies that I REALLY can NOT get here. it was work related, and important for my life here.
    I asked for suggestions, not having been in this situation before.

I got some, and, it opened up some interesting conversation that maybe a bit off subject, BUT DEFINITLEY related to the problem I was having.

So, I just don’t have a problem here…
    So let’s keep discussing, griping, laughing, sharing what we miss, or are bringing with us to Greece, whatever. It’s All good.

I’m just not going to get involved further with who said what or who it offended. count me
    out.

So, anyone got any black market twinkies? LOL
    come on guys, lighten up, pleasssssseeeeeee [;)]

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Been keeping a low profile on this one .. scared to put my head above parapet in case I get shot down in flames!! Anyway sorry for going off thread you guys but just had to wade through a few posts to find comment by nikanne …

quote:

hi Domino, AB used to have a very nice sherry but don’t know if they still do, will check next time im in!! I think the only christmas thing i missed when my kids were growing up were christmas crackers!! You can get them now in M&S, but 15 years ago there were none and I didn’t like asking eople to send them all the time!!

Thanks for that nikanne will have a look in AB next time am in.

BTW essavides just realised that I told a huge lie when I said that I did not import anything except lime pickle – guess I got distracted by salad dressings and coffee creamer. I buy all my children’s clothes in the UK. Yes if you compare full price Mothercare here with full price MOthercare there there probably isn’t that much difference (except as you say nikanne the size of your wage packet!). And as my dad pointed out when he was over here the price difference in Mothercare is accounted for by the fact that here they charge VAT on children’s clothes whereas they don’t in the UK. Is that right? But that isn’t taking into account all the GOOD QUALITY discount shops in the UK and some of the brilliant bargains you can find in the sales. I always seem to be there end of season to buy for the following year. I just don’t find that same quality among the cheap stuff over here. This market of yours sounds amazing nikanne – the only clothes I have seen down our local laiiki are cheap and na
    sty.

Anyway so I have a major clothes shop whenever I’m in UK – when I can get loads of T-shirts for 3 quid in Asda why would I want to pay 30 euro in one of those poncey baby shops on Ermou. Same for children’s shoes who’s going to pay 70 euro for some kids shoes over here when there’s Jonathan James and Woolworths! For myself I do have a good old shop as well when back home because it is so pleasurable having a leasurely browse without some annoying shop assistant hanging around me asking me if she can help me every five minutes and watching me like a hawk!

The sherry thought has made me realise I think we need a new thread about Christmas shopping …

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

BTW if anyone knows where there ARE good quality kids t-shirts in Athens that do not cost more than 5 euro please do let me know and I can join that happy band of people who do not need to import anything because they are so in-tune with the culture man. I’m a cheapskate I know but when they’re going to grow out of stuff in less than a year why shop in Lapin House?

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Domino,
    [:D] I know what you mean! If I could right now,(shop ‘back home’) I’d do the same! I dont blame you at all.
    I especially agree with the people watching you and following you around while trying to shop. to me, it’s really annoying, and I feel weird, and usually just leave. because I find they aren’t really helping, they usually are just pushy.
    Anyway, i’m stuck here since I got special permission to stay longer,until I get my residency…(as usual, fly by the seat of my pants, I didn’t do a visa first before coming.) i’m without being able to exit… I had thought about going over to the UK to do some shopping, but that’s out for me too.

I spent Christmas In London with some friends a couple of years ago and had a blast- So much great shopping. unfortunately, I didn’t get out to see the rest of England while there.
    ok, it’s all way off topic, who cares LOL
    the thread about christmas shopping sounds good, will be doing it soon myself!(already thinking about it)

Elizabeth, I can ask my fiance and everyone about satellite,ect.
    our little brother goes to the movie rental place all the time, so I’ll ask him about stuff on dvd for you, too.[;)]

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

This is very off topic but I wanted to look into getting some shows from the US and I saw a thread on here about satellite dishes, etc. and can’t find it again despite much searching. Anyone know where it is? Something that discusses cable/satellite options? For all the money I’m spending on DVDs (stuff you can’t rent like Seinfeld), I may as well just get cable or something. Thanks.

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thanks Jenn. I have a rental store close by but not much variety. Loaded up on books – having about 500 shipped over. Books in English are so expensive there. I think I’m going to sell them to the peripteros (sp?) when I’m done w/ them. They’re selling them for 16 Euros used!

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

[:D]No problem
    WOW! the books- great idea! you could at least get your shipping costs covered by selling them. maybe? HA HA
    Amazon.com ships here. we ordered some things not that long ago but it took like 2 and half weeks to get here I think.but the shipping wasn’t too bad.

yes, i think most of the video places are going to be small, all over. ok, here i go, but… I miss Blockbusters, and Hastings big time over here!

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

I’ll start renting out my DVD collections to the Americans. [;)]

Actually, it’s probably not a bad idea considering they’re costing around $600 or more right now. But I have all 9 Seinfeld seasons and even Black Adder for the Brits here.

The books…I got them on eBay and w/ shipping are only about $1.50 each so that’s not bad. I have enough to last a few years. Good thing they don’t expire huh?

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=443&SearchTerms=satellite

There are a few american shows being run on terrestrial tv too, with subtitles. I don’t watch much tv, but I do remember seeing an old friends the other day.

Don’t forget you’ll need a multi region dvd player to play films made for the american market.

http://kitchensinkmag.com/

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thanks. I have 3 laptops with me that can play my Region 1 dvds and I bought several region-free sets out of Hong Kong.

I couldn’t get AOLs In2TV to work – you can download tons of TV shows for free. It might have been that I had a foreign IP address and it won’t let you download outside the US.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

quote:

As for my marital status. Well, folks, we may have to save that story for another day. Let’s just say for the moment I’m not on the market.

Nooeeeee!!! How could you do this to me now??!!

Seeing as I am a few years younger than you (although you say that you are young for your age being from LA) you have my permission to be my Sugar Mama (or a bobcat if you feel younger than me).

As for importing – I only get my mates from America to bring me twinkies and in UK to bring me DVDs. I’m waiting on the extras. Although all my mates seem to get these DVDs from strange people called “Cousins in Toronto” and Citrus cable Mules. Whatever that means!

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

So you’re an Aussie? My landlord is Aussie and I spend a lot of time with his friends. In fact, one of them will be working his way in here soon enough.

I’m very partial to Aussies. I like their laid-back, fun-loving nature and they are getting me to loosen up and not work so hard – and I’m getting them to be a little more ambitious. So it’s a good balance. The one…Tom, everything is “Mate this, mate that.” 20 years in Athens and he hasn’t lost his Aussie blood.

I’ll be back in Athens by the 1st of Dec. What part of the city do you live? You’ll have to come out with us sometime.

(Yes, off topic, but isn’t this the most active thread?)

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

Hi to Domino!! I also had the same problem with kids clothes, very expensive here I also stock up in Asda,Tesco and MAtalan when I go home!!! The market is a good place to find cheep clothes, also have you tried Carrefour, Jumbo or AB they all do some clothes and at good prices, the best I find is Jumbo, that is the big toy store but has loads of kids clothes as well.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

quote:

I’m very partial to Aussies.

That’s a shame as I’m Scottish [:X]

watson
    Participant
    Neophyte

Glad you offered us that liitle gem, Rurpled. I had no choice this a.m. but to trawl all your posts AND your homepage for some reference to your nationality (Thought I’d missed something somewhere) because of course not being nosy (like Nikanne -lol!) didn’t dare ask!

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hey, Scotts are cool too, don’t despair! I’m partial to Scotts and Aussies. especially Aussies. I lived down under for 3 years. fantastic people! So are Kiwis. just don’t call a kiwi an Aussie, or vice versa LOL
    Aussie,Aussie, Aussie OI OI OI!
    LOL

watson
    Participant
    Neophyte

Re: children’s clothes Domino, have you tried Zara? (About 6 branches in the centre alone) Apart from England that’s about the only place I shop for my son. The clothes are trendy & cheap (OK so not 3euros a T-shirt, but they aren’t plain Tshirts.) Also used to shop in Adams (you know, the English Adams) until he grew out of their biggest size last year. More expensive than in England but still cheaper than Greek kids”boutiques’/Lapin/Mothercare.

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Well, Jenn, I hit Target today for the 50% off Halloween candy. Needless to say, it will be Halloween at my place year-round. [:D]

The only (US) candy I saw in the stores by my place in Greece were Twix, Kit-Kats and some small bags of M&Ms.

So I got bags and bags of Snickers and Milky Ways for like $1 each. What a score. I’m shipping over like 20 bags of them. I don’t even eat them much in the US but for some reason I missed them like crazy in Greece.

And they thought my need for salad dressing was ridiculous…

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Just a thought esavvides aren’t you worried about all this stuff passing its use by date before you get to use it all? I ask because I brought some low carb stuff over from England last time I was over (like Atkins Bake Mix) which has stayed in my cupboard for a while (haven’t done any baking yet!) and now is past use by date. I just ignore that though and use it anyway!

Diverging from topic slightly has anyone come across places where you can get low carb/Atkins products over here? Would love to know so that could save me bringing it over from England. Oops another admission of shipping things over! One reason am not really bothered about the low cal salad dressing thing is that am (trying) to do Atkins and Atkins totally against using bottled dressings because are carb-laden! So loads of olive oil on my salads is fine for me!!

Thanks watson as usual very good advice. I tend to forget about Zara but do know it has some lovely kids stuff. Another good one that I recently discovered is Sprider (for clothes for the whole family). Very reasonable prices – was most impressed when went to the Ermou branch. What with parents sending stuff over and stuff I bought last year though, I am pretty much set up for this winter now. Don’t need to buy anything .. for them! Apart from Chrissy pressies of course of which tend to buy loads on Amazon, shipping from Amazon.co.uk pretty quick. (Maybe you should try that Jenn).

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

No, I figure if it’s Halloween candy, they just made it so it will be good for awhile. And the makeup, I know how long it last before it goes bad. It’s what I do for a living so I’m familiar with shelf-lifes. Clinique gives their skincare items 2 years and makeup 4 years on average, as long as it’s unopened. Lipsticks and glosses last forever.

One reason I want the salad dressing is they are excellent low-calorie/low-fat ones and I need them to balance out the Snickers that follow. [;)]

I love the olive oil but I can’t use it every day without gaining weight. I find it’s harder to get diet foods there. I ate a lot of Greek salads with very little feta and straight balsamic vinegar. Not the same as the original version.

Down to 24 days and so much to do. I need to stay out of here and get back to work…and stop shopping!

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

LOL Elizabeth “and they thought my need for salad dressing was rediculous” love it.
    but bringing over the candy is just FUN. a compulsive thing.

Domino, no idea about the Akins stuff. It’s all over the place in the states. I have to say though,I don’t do well on that diet, although it works pretty good for a lot of people.

I go naturally low carb.(no diet stuff, I just avoid certain things)have to because of my health.
    I find the olive oil actually helps me, maybe it’s the vitamins or something in it. I used to take flaxseed oil, and fish oil but it didn’t seem to have the effects this olive oil does. I’m pretty thrilled with it, actually.
    I know it has calories, but I don’t eat a lot of carbs or meat, so I guess that’s where it balances out with me.
    (I also eat lots of veggies, nuts, olives, and yogurt every day.)

Domino, the amazon in the uk is probably the better way to go, I agree. (I think last time we used the American one because we were trying to find some rare NIN cd’s for my fiance’s little brother.)

Elizabeth, have fun! :)

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Having anything right now but fun. It’s 5:30 a.m. here and I’m still finishing laundry (but I do have a dryer!), trying to list items on eBay, pack orders and I have to move out of my apt. in 3 weeks. Which wouldn’t be bad but I buy makeup in the same manner as my other stuff: HUGE QUANTITIES.

It’s a sickness, I tell you. There’s no self-control. It’s why I don’t drink.

Well, have a good day all. I’m off to bed soon. Have to get my driver’s license renewed tomorrow so it doesn’t expire while I’m in Greece. Trips to the DMV are about as much fun as your annual gynec…okay, won’t finish that.

When I get back there and give up my car, I might have to take up drinking. I think I’m going to need it after this…

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

HA HA HA Elizabeth!
    good luck with everything! will be thinking of you.
    I had to renew everything including passport before coming.fun fun fun…
    hang in there, you’ll be here sooner than you realise.

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Yeah, it’s a lot of work, isn’t it? Fortunately, everything is going smoothly so far. No major disasters. I can’t afford any time-wise.

I’ve been working all day – just taking a bit of a break now. I have to pack and ship out around 70 boxes of merchandise to the person shipping for me when I’m gone so that’s going to take up most of the next three weeks.

Glad all the major personal stuff is out of the way. Can concentrate just on all this merchandise and moving out of my place.

What’s going on over there? Oh, when you are getting married? Forgot to ask you that.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

quote:

What’s going on over there? Oh, when you are getting married? Forgot to ask you that.

The marathon!

And I’m not getting married, I don’t know why you thought that..

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Rurpled, LOL I was waiting for you to pop back in here and give us a good laugh!

Elizabeth, I hate shipping and last minute stuff. it’s why I need to shop for boots now! I left mine by the back door of my house! Agh! I was So mad. I had left them out to obviously put in my case, and it was a really heavy thunderstorm that day And I was in a hurry just to get over to my friend’s to go to the airport.
    needless to say… NO boots!

ah, the marriage plans. LOL we’re going to do a civil ceremony. but not yet. Trying to get some other stuff out of the way first. My staying here or visa isn’t dependent on it, so We are just taking things as they come. (trying to get a house built first- but the physical logistics of it are a nightmare, so will probably end up renting. yuk…)
    we can’t really do the church traditional Greek thing, because neither of us are Christians. (i’m kind of glad, because I think the stress of something that crazy,it might just kill me!)

BUT- we will have a big Party after the ceremony, of course![:D]
    probably with much drinking and silliness.
    wonder if Nikanne can come with her friends who wear kilts LOL

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

don’t know if my brother and friends will be free!!! lol but maybe rurpled will have his kilt by then!

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

LOL Nikanne [;)]
    you’re all invited, by the way, when we figure out a date, i’ll give fair warning [:D]
    Rurpled simply must come too, wearing his kilt.of course!
    (hey Rurpled, we have several single hot friends & cousins-one comes to mind right now. he he)

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

quote:

Originally posted by Jenn

(hey Rurpled, we have several single hot friends & cousins-one comes to mind right now. he he)

“Don’t bogart those hot women, my friend..”!

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi All…It’s midnight here and just taking a break. Then it’s off to storage to pack stuff up. 3 weeks 1 day left.

Isn’t it true you never know how much stuff you have until you have to move?

Okay, I’m there for the wedding. So you don’t have a deadline for getting married to stay in the country?

On the residency issue, I heard that generally for the Americans, English, Aussies, etc., they don’t enforce stuff like they do for the Iraqis and Albanians. My one friend told me she just comes and goes as she pleases and no one ever questions it.

….okay, now it’s 7 a.m and I just got back from storage and realized I didn’t finish this. I’m off to bed. Will pop back in later.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

It’s so good to know that our GIH american ladies chatting on this site are providing so much entertainment for so many other ex-pats in Greece who are not even members of the site! [:D]
    Doesn’t it make one come all over with a warm fuzzy feeling that your fame is spreading far and wide amongst the ex-pat community, simply through your discussing such mundane, every-day things as lettuce?! [:D]
    Keep up the entertainment….. you even have some of them crying so hard that their keyboards are shaking according to the posting! Congratulations![:D]
    http://p3.forumforfree.com/shipping-stuff-vt501-cretecommunityf.html

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

lol, it does get around doesn’t, it this ex pat stuff!!!

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

/me waves to the crowd

BostonGirl
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hello Crete!! (waving my Vasilopoulos-bought marouli at the crowd and sipping tsipouro)

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Funny, are the calling me a liar on how much I sell a month? Shows how little they know. My wholesale business is so large I barely have time to list anything on eBay. I mostly wholesale out to my int’l buyers so I deal in large orders ($400-$1000) v. the small ones on eBay.

Shall I post my tax returns for them? [;)]

As for the other “gems” on my eBay page, would that be the 12,000 positive feedbacks I have? I run a thriving business I built from nothing and now sell over $500k a year. If they want to laugh at that, uh, okay.

As for the rest, they’re welcome to laugh at me all they want. (Just don’t call me a liar.) If they find entertainment out of it, enjoy.

But I don’t get it…if you’re used to convenience, 24-hour a day stores, huge product variety and very low prices and you’re moving somewhere where all of that changes and you find a way to get the best of both worlds…why do people find that so fascinating?

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Oh, I forgot I’m supposed to be entertaining them….

Jenn,

Did I mention I’ve spent nearly $50 just buying stuff for cleaning the floor? It’s true. Those stringy mops are just not for me. I need my Swiffer, my sponge mops, large dust mop and I did finally return the one where can pour in the cleaning solution and squirt as you go. Too heavy.

I had to get a 40″ duffle bag to fit the goose-down feather bed ($45 at BB&B, reg: $130) and the handles for the mop. Took me awhile to find a retractable handle that would fit in the bag but I did.

I just cannot do those string mops. Feel like I’m swabbing the decks or flashbacks to my first job at McDonald’s.

Now, maybe you can get them there in Greece but I’m not taking my chances. They aren’t in any of the stores within walking distance and Wal-mart’s full of them so off they go.

And I’m bringing back one or two Swiffers for my Aussie friends.

Ah, the sponge mop – how I wish I had that the first 3 months. It will be one of my most prized possessions.

Okay, that’s all material for the day, folks. Have to get back to work.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

You’re bringing the kitchen sink too right?

Incidentally, for a mere 2500 euros a month I’ll gladly take care of your home cleaning needs. If you’re lucky I’ll wear my woollen socks while doing the dishes?

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hired. [:)] Woolen socks required.

LOL. All this interest over my packing is a bit absurd isn’t it? I find it amazing that people care so much about what I’m bringing over that they will make an effort not just to quote me, but to involved multiple copy/pastes.

These must be the same people I see sitting outside the cafes sipping coffee all day long and commenting on whoever happens to pass by. Must not be a lot going on over on Crete.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

swifers and sponge mops have been here for a while!!! I love the extending floor one which is also great for those horrible greek spiders webs, also the only way I can get my kids to dust is with the hand swiffer!! 5 euros from AB with 5 dusters!! not bad I think. I used to use a sponge mop but takes soo long, much prefer the greek ones, they are not string but made of a very good material which doesn’t leave any streaks and is easy to use!! I also brought my feather down duvet over when I first came but it got binned pretty quickly as it was just to hot!!! don’t forget the winters are not that cold here and if you have good heating there is no need for a heavy duvet. I use a 10.5 ordinary one now and it is fine.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

depends where you wear the socks Rurpled !! for that kind of money I don’t think on the feet will do!! lol

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

quote:

depends where you wear the socks Rurpled !! for that kind of money I don’t think on the feet will do!! lol

You mean: ala Red Hot Chili Peppers on stage? Well, I may have to charge a little extra for that!

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

lol know the group but haven’t seen them on stage! think this is getting a bit off topic now! maybe you could “ship” me a video of them lol

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

red hot chilli peppers style LOL my god this is too much fun, And I can’t believe the other site is finding us so entertaining. WOW. we’re famous ROFL!

yes, I hop in the taxi to see if they speak the language of “her majesty”. actually, that’s Her Royal Highness…Ehem.

(so even taking a taxi is seen as elitist? alrighty then LOL)

I just have one thing to say about the price of boots, yeah, you can pay too much in Euros,or pay whatever you want, not a matter of affording anything- but if you are already bringing your clothes with you, is it really that big of a deal to buy some shoes? get real. LOL
    and, people who do well financially, do not keep thier money by wasting it, usually.LOL(just a thought)

but on the flip side of that- HRH does have some Saudi friends who waste money, though. but they don’t work- whole other subject.

ROFL wow.
    I guess we better keep posting to amuse our new audiance.

Rurpled, only 2500 Euro/month, with the socks?! bargain! LOL

I have nothing of significance to add to this post today…
    HRH is going to now go have coffee. then, shop for boots, just thought i’d inform the masses. finally found some boots that are acceptable for HRH. yay.

oh, and I found a wonderful outlet type store today in NeaIonia, and finally found my sweaters I wanted! it’s become my new favorite place to shop for clothes.(they have beautiful coats, too. and some dresses that definitely can do for the opera) there’s also another outlet type shop up the street and around the corner and it’s fab too.
    Any of you who want to know where, just pm me.

ok, that ought to be enough to wind up a few readers.
    (don’t hate me because i’m spoiled…ROFL)

oh, but i’m not shipping any of this stuff. i’m assimilating and supporting the local economy…(but that’s no fun to hear, right?)

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

sorry Jenn but yet to find an American who speaks “Queens English”
    [:D][:D]ROFL OK I am now taking cover behind my screen waiting for the attack to start. Rurpled HELP [:D][:D]

Sorry folks gone totally off topic now!! will keep quiet from now on, promise.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

Americans have two types of Queens English:

1) “Gotsta gits maself to the terl it pawta crappa aftah ah gits ma hawt dawg awe da way from stat nigh lynn cuz deyz sh|t y’all.
    2) “Yeah, like, dude you look butch, got a cute mincy zhoosh, I’d like to go cottaging with you after I remove my makeup. ‘N sh|t.”

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

hey “queenie” would be great doing her christmas speach like that!!! lol must suggest it to her next time we speak!!

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

O.K. folks – we are now truly on the edge of going global ! fame indeed eh for the coffee morning cowgirls – just follow the link & hang on – yee ha !
    http://www.zorbas.de/scripts/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3382

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Wow Jenn. Never thought we’d get so much publicity from our conversation.

My dinner conversations sad? Well, I’m happy to discuss cognitive development and its inefficiency at the college level due to schools using behavioral learning patterns as their methodology. But no one really wants to talk about information processing skills and how to develop more effective and efficient learners.

Or how to configure the latest PHP code to work with mySQL database in order to upgrade my website’s affiliate program.

Again, any takers?

What they don’t get is I’ve managed to run my business, shut down my life in the US and move out all my product AND still have time to deal with minor issues like reading material (currently reading Dostoevsky) and salad dressing.

But if anyone wants to take me on intellectually with a stimulating dinner conversation, I’m there. I’d love to discuss Michel Foucault’s theories on truth and relativity. I went to grad school people. I may discuss trivialities on the surface, but a few levels down, I’m a brainiac.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Wow!!! Now I really am jealous of Rurpled about to marry you (allegedly) Elizabeth ! Just as well I am already very happily married! Money AND brains![:D]

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Yes, only drawback is this personality is part of the package.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

quote:

Or how to configure the latest PHP code to work with mySQL database in order to upgrade my website’s affiliate program.

Very sadly I glanced over this thread today and this comment leapt out and got me all excited.

I think I need to get out more. [:(]

GiH Admin

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Would love to discuss. Nothing like having 5000 lines of code in front of you and somewhere you knocked out a ” or a ; and you have to figure out where it is.

Or when you have 50 files all working together and you get an error message but you don’t know what file is causing it.

Once I get the business transferred over, I’m going back to getting ElizabethNet.com finished. Worked on it over the summer but only got the layout completed. The CSS took awhile to configure.

Looking forward to getting it going. So many people doing business online and so many looking to learn how. I think it’s going to be a very active site once I get it finished.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Ah, the dreaded comma instead of full stop (or vice versa). Never really got my head around PHP (ASP mainly for me) but we just installed it on the server so we could use phpmyadmin with the mysql databases. I’m just starting to play with it now.

Nice looking site BTW.

GiH Admin

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thanks. CSS make such a difference on the flexibility of the layout. HTML is so limiting.

I’m not much of a designer so I’ve learned to hunt down a design I like and then use it as a basis. Tried just reconfiguring their code (view source/copy/paste) but I found it was easier just to code from scratch.

I’ve created nearly 400 web pages and found it’s just easier to start with

and go from there. Otherwise, you’re knee-deep in nested tables and can’t find your way out — you’ve got rows and columns going nuts all over the page.

watson
    Participant
    Neophyte

Excuse me? Let’s get back to laundromats, methinks.

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Laundromats? I thought this was the thread for pitying the spoiled Americans (we really are) and subtly hinting that the Queen’s Royal Subjects are so much more superior? And Greek-based RS even the more.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte
    s ftw! Go w3c compliant and get rid of the arsing tables!

Incidentally, please tell me that this is you:

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

The CSS are – it’s where I learned them.

Okay, I removed the pic.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

Cute! I’ll drop my price by 100 euros per month just for you, special offer, yes, very good price.

If you concentrate on making a site with divs & css as opposed to tables and css your site can be easily redesigned simply via css, as opposed to changing the table structure. Check out http://www.csszengarden.com for an example of one-size fits all DIV structure with completely different css styling. Your site can be completely different just by changing the stylesheet.

/phew, deep breath now

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

So what you’re telling me is I did all the work learning how to build nested tables (which can drive you nearly as crazy as a PHP error) and div will do the same thing?

Okay, when I get back to Greece I’ll recode it. Glad I didn’t get too far into the design.

Thanks for the heads up. The business has kept me so busy the last few years I haven’t had time to stay on top of the web development side.

If you’re good at coding, maybe instead of you doing the dishes, I’ll have you help me out with the site. If it gets going, I’m going to need 3-4 people helping me with it.

Yes, Watson, we’ve digressed off topic. I’ve never seen people so anxious to stay on a topic of little interest to anyone who doesn’t want to make fun of us.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hey if you’ve done most of the gruntwork with tables then you may as well stick with it, if you aren’t familiar with divs and css then it’ll take longer to learn the way they work (shorter in the long run but longer in the short run).

I’m not much of a PHP coder but if you need help with the site I also make websites with my socks on..

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

HEY! all I have to say is: I was not trying to use Queens English! LOL (I wouldn’t dare![:p])

I went and saw the post Paul put up about us, and they had mentioned a bit about me and the taxi- and said ‘her majesty’.(because appparently my advice to Elizabeth was just SO provacative, as was apparently the rest of it, and even taking taxis are amusing to these folks.) ROFL

SO, Since i’m of mixed heritage, I thought it is more appropriate for an Amira to be called her royal highness… as we sometimes do.

ok, now going to go lookie see what else has amused the people today.hee heeeeee
    weeeeeeeee too much fun

bravo Elizabeth! hey, are you in mensa too?

I think we should all start a new thread called the off topic thread LOL and move everything there, and keep going.
    because this is too much fun, OR, we could start a thread titled
    “We hate Americans” I’m sure it would be the most popular, and get millions of hits for the site.[;)]

Oh, and I think they got me and you confused about the boots, Elizabeth ROFL
    Apparently, Elizabeth, all this amusement seems to be based on you!
    take a bow, dear.
    amazing.

hey folks, if you’re going to use our writing for entertainment, get it right! (ROFL again!)

oh, Got to love this- and apparently ALL Americans are the same…despite there are 300 million people over there. that’s pretty amazing too.
    guess i’ll tottle off now and go do something really trivial and stereotypical ROFL otherwise, I might disapoint all the rude American haters.(wouldn’t want to do that, now would we?!)[;)]

Jenn (puts her “witch” hat on and exits)
    [:X]

kiddermister
    Participant
    Neophyte

Aaaaargh! Wha? OMG Where am I? How did I get here?

Oh hallo Elizabeth, thank goodness for a friendly face. I blacked out there for a second. Did someone say make fun? Criticise? Noooooo!

Us mere mortals are intensely jealous of such opulence.
    Actually we were hoping to kickstart the “Lend/Lease” program (See I can even spell in American). Either that or we shall have to resort to piracy again. I am keen on SQL too. There is nothing quite like a Super Quality Lollipop to calm the nerves, and as for that ASP, well, don’t you just love Anally Spoken Prose?

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

Sql like a pig, boy, SQL LIKE A PIG!!

And now for something completely different:

rheia
    Participant
    Neophyte

Wot????

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

has anybody got the impression that we are way off shipping now!!!!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

shipping? shipping? What’s shipping got to do with this thread?

I thought this thread was about getting a rise out of people of a certain nationality[:D] and giving people of other sites a degree of entertainment in doing so!

We may know nothing about shipping, but on GIH we are so selfless in every other respect![:D]

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Rurpled! OMG that’s too much! ROFL where did you find those?!

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

A crazy Irish board I frequent. Many more there but I don’t really want to make this even more off topic. heh

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

Oh Jenn, forgot to mention. Stopped for a cappuccino at 3 a.m. (was off to storage to pack up more stuff to ship out) and I picked you up some little creamers of Irish Cream, Pumpkin Spice (limited edition holiday flavor) and another kind. Tossed then in one of the boxes so you’ll have a little treat. I’ll try to pick you up one powder canister – let me know which flavor you like best.

And Jenn, let them ridicule us but personally, I think there’s underlying resentment that we are seen as the world’s Superpower.

They have no idea how great it is growing up in the US. I love the fact the we have anything we want at our fingertips and for fabulous prices. In fact, when we compare ourselves w/ the rest of the world, we realize just how good we have it.

So laugh at us all you want. People from other countries go nuts when they get here and find out just how great it is to shop and function in the US. It’s easy, it’s cheap and it’s always available.

That should spark an indignant response. They’re good at dishing it out so they’re going to have to get comfortable getting it back.

I can give as good as I get.

(As for Mensa, no. But I did finish 6 years of college in 3 1/2 with a perfect GPA. Boring dinner conversationalist? Trust me, I can hold my own. [}:)])

7 a.m. Have been working 20 hours today. Off to bed.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Actually Elizabeth, the perfect GPA and degrees are far more of a help! (mensa is just social crap anyway- GOD, now someone will write me b*tching I said THAT… it’s cool if you have kids and want to network to find opportunities for them,et.)

And bravo, it’s very true, everything you said, I have to agree.

It’s very fashionable to be resentful, bitter, and American bash, haven’t you heard? LOL
    and it’s SO much more fun to stereotype a whole nation than to actually learn something, or look at individuals!

Indignant responses to follow…weeeeeeee!

oh, thank you for the coffee mates! fantastic!
    I forgot they made special seasonal ones, I am So looking forward to that!(oops, we’re being papmered consumerists again! ROFL)

And yes, I am very grateful too to have grown up in the States, and had many opportunities, and we do have it pretty good over there.
    So I guess that’s a crime, oh well. guilty! LOL

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.