Residency tax changes

Forums Dealing with Greece Formalities Residency tax changes

This topic contains 26 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Ian 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Had a meeting with our accountant yesterday & he outlined the NEW, new rules that will apply to foreign residents in Greece (EU) as from the next tax assessment due in April (for year 2011)
    It would seem that there will be three ways to reside here & without resorting to links to indecipherable translations, I would outline as explained to me.

!) Live in Greece, don’t own a house here or a Greek registered car… Draw all money via an ATM from your home country account or work in the “Black” economy & don’t complete an annual tax return…. Obviously illegal & subject to all penalties that would be incurred !

2) Live in Greece up to but no more than six months of the year, transfer all monies required from your own country in order to satisfy the tax office for the upkeep of home, car etc & obtain the “Pink slips” for the transfers from your Greek bank. Complete an annual tax return.

3) Live in Greece for any period over six months – Be registered in Greece for taxable purposes, declare worldwide income, save all necessary purchase receipts for the level of declared income, complete an annual tax return, with proof of income (as far as I can make out for UK citizens forms P60 ought to suffice?) & fill in an annual form to the Hellenic tax authority for the agreement regarding dual taxation- Form to be sent along with the annual tax return.
    A copy of this form is included below & may be of assisstance. Also any further feedback from other will no doubt be appreciated.

ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ HELLENIC REPUBLIC
    ΥΠΟΥΡΓΕΙΟ ΟΙΚΟΝΟΜΙΚΩΝ MINISTRY OF FINANCE
    1ο αντίγραφο για την Ελληνική Φορολογική Αρχή – 1st copy for the Hellenic Tax Authority
    AITΗΣΗ
    ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΕΦΑΡΜΟΓΗ ΤΗΣ ΣΥΜΒΑΣΗΣ ΑΠΟΦΥΓΗΣ ΤΗΣ ΔΙΠΛΗΣ
    ΦΟΡΟΛΟΓΙΑΣ ΜΕΤΑΞΥ ΕΛΛΑΔΟΣ ΚΑΙ (1) …………………………
    CLAIM
    FOR THE APPLICATION OF THE DOUBLE TAXATION
    CONVENTION BETWEEN GREECE AND (1) ……………
    Αυτή η αίτηση ισχύει για ένα ημερολογιακό έτος – This claim is valid for one calendar year
    1. ΠΡΑΓΜΑΤΙΚΟΣ ΔΙΚΑΙΟΥΧΟΣ ΤΟΥ ΕΙΣΟΔΗΜΑΤΟΣ
    BENEFICIAL OWNER OF THE INCOME (block letters)
    Πλήρες όνομα/επωνυμία/τίτλος
    Full Name or Name of firm………………………………………………………………………………..
    Νομική μορφή
    Legal form …………………………………………………………………………………………………
    Δραστηριότητα / επάγγελμα
    Activity/profession…………………………………………………………………………………………
    Πλήρης δ/νση (οδός, πόλη, ταχ. κώδικας, χώρα)
    Full address (street, city, postal code, country)……………………………………………………………
    ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
    Όνομα και διεύθυνση αντιπροσώπου στην Ελλάδα
    Name and address of Representative in Greece (if any)…………………………………………………..
    Ημερομηνία σχετικού συμφωνητικού – Date of Power of Attorney (if any)………………………………
    II. Ο ΚΑΤΑΒΑΛΛΩΝ ΤΟ ΕΙΣΟΔΗΜΑ
    PAYER OF THE INCOME
    Πλήρες όνομα / επωνυμία / τίτλος
    Full Name or Name of Firm……………………………………………………………………………….
    Νομική μορφή
    Legal Form ….……………………………………………………………………………………………..
    Δραστηριότητα/επάγγελμα
    Activity/ profession…………………………………………………………………………………………
    Πλήρης δ/νση (οδός, πόλη, ταχ. κώδικας,)
    Full address (street, city, post code)………………………………………………………………………..
    III. ΠΕΡΙΓΡΑΦΗ ΕΙΣΟΔΗΜΑΤΟΣ – DESCRIPTION OF THE INCOME
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
    IV. ΕΤΟΣ ΚΤΗΣΗΣ ΤΟΥ ΕΙΣΟΔΗΜΑΤΟΣ………………………………………………………………….
    YEAR DURING WHICH THE INCOME BECAME DUE………………………………………………
    V. ΛΟΙΠΕΣ ΠΛΗΡΟΦΟΡΙΕΣ – FURTHER DETAILS
    Κατά τη διάρκεια του ημερολογιακού έτους εντός του οποίου αποκτήθηκε το εισόδημα:
    During any calendar year in which the above specified income became due:
    a) ασχολήθηκε με εμπόριο ή άλλες εργασίες μέσω μιας μόνιμης εγκατάστασης NAI – YES
    που βρίσκεται στην Ελλάδα; / OXI – NO
    were you engaged in trade or business in Greece through a permanent
    establishment situated there in?
    b) ήσαστε εταίρος μιας προσωπικής εταιρείας που ιδρύθηκε και λειτουργεί στην Ελλάδα; NAI – YES
    were you a member of a partnership created or organized within Greece.? OXI – NO
    c) ήσαστε μέτοχος μιας ανώνυμης εταιρείας που ιδρύθηκε και λειτουργεί κατά NAI – YES
    τους ελληνικούς νόμους; OXI – NO
    did you possess a holding in a company created under Hellenic law.?
    Για οποιαδήποτε καταφατική απάντηση στις ερωτήσεις της περίπτωσης V, να δοθούν λεπτομερή στοιχεία
    (π.χ. ποσοστό συμμετοχής κλπ.) στην ένδειξη «Παρατηρήσεις».
    If any answer to be given under (V) is “yes”, give full particulars (e.g. percentage of participation e.t.c.)
    under item “Observations”
    ΠΑΡΑΤΗΡΗΣΕΙΣ – OBSERVATIONS ……………………………………………………………………….
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………………….………
    VI. ΔΗΛΩΣΗ ΤΟΥ ΔΙΚΑΙΟΥΧΟΥ – DECLARATION OF THE BENEFICIARY
    Δηλώνω ότι είμαι ο πραγματικός δικαιούχος του εισοδήματος που αναφέρεται στην
    προηγούμενη σελίδα και ότι τα αναφερόμενα σ’αυτή την αίτηση είναι απολύτως ακριβή.
    I hereby declare that I as beneficially entitled to the income mentioned over leaf and that the
    particulars given in this claim are true in every respect.
    Τόπος και ημερομηνία – Place and date Υπογραφή και σφραγίδα του δικαιούχου
    Signature and stamp of the beneficiary
    ………………………………………… ………………………………………..
    VII. ΠΙΣΤΟΠΟΙΗΤΙΚΟ ΤΗΣ ΦΟΡΟΛΟΓΙΚΗΣ ΑΡΧΗΣ ΤΗΣ ΧΩΡΑΣ ΚΑΤΟΙΚΙΑΣ ΤΟΥ ΔΙΚΑΙΟΥΧΟΥ
    ΤΟΥ ΕΙΣΟΔΗΜΑΤΟΣ
    CERTIFICATION BY THE TAX AUTHORITY OF THE BENEFICIARY’S RESIDENCE COUNTRY
    (i) (3) INDIVIDUALS – COMPANIES (2) = ΦΥΣΙΚΑ ΠΡΟΣΩΠΑ – ΕΤΑΙΡΕΙΕΣ (2)
    I certify that the beneficiary is /was (3) during the year specified overleaf, a resident of (1) .………………
    Πιστοποιώ ότι ο δικαιούχος είναι / ήταν, (3) κατά το έτος που ορίζεται ανωτέρω, κάτοικος (1)……………
    κατά την έννοια των διατάξεων της προαναφερόμενης σύμβασης,
    (ii) (3) PARTNERSHIPS (4) ΠΡΟΣΩΠΙΚΕΣ ΕΤΑΙΡΕΊΕΣ (4)
    I certify that the whole, or ……….. percent of, (3) the capital of the beneficiary is owned directly by
    partners/members (3) residents of (1) ……………….. within the meaning of the a/m Double Taxation
    Convention.
    Πιστοποιώ ότι όλο το κεφάλαιο, ή ………… τοις εκατό του κεφαλαίου, (3) του δικαιούχου ανήκει άμεσα
    σε εταίρους / μέλη (3) (φορολογικούς) κατοίκους (1) ………………., κατά την έννοια των διατάξεων
    της προαναφερόμενης Σύμβασης.
    Τόπος και ημερομηνία – Place and date Υπογραφή – Signature …………………..
    Τίτλος – Designation …………………….
    …………………………………………..
    Σφραγίδα – Official Stamp of the Tax Authority
    Σημείωση – NOTES
    (1) The name of the Contracting State – Το όνομα του Συμβαλλόμενου Κράτους.
    (2) And any other entity which is a taxable unit – και οποιοδήποτε άλλο νομικό πρόσωπο το οποίο
    είναι φορολογικό υποκείμενο.
    (3) Delete as necessary – Διαγράψτε κατά περίπτωση.
    (4) And any other entity which is not a taxable unit – και οποιοδήποτε άλλο νομικό πρόσωπο το οποίο
    δεν είναι φορολογικό υποκείμενο.
    ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ HELLENIC REPUBLIC
    ΥΠΟΥΡΓΕΙΟ ΟΙΚΟΝΟΜΙΚΩΝ MINISTRY OF FINANCE
    2ο αντίγραφο για την Αλλοδαπή Φορολογική Αρχή – 2nd copy for the Foreign Tax Authority
    AITΗΣΗ
    ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΕΦΑΡΜΟΓΗ ΤΗΣ ΣΥΜΒΑΣΗΣ ΑΠΟΦΥΓΗΣ ΤΗΣ ΔΙΠΛΗΣ
    ΦΟΡΟΛΟΓΙΑΣ ΜΕΤΑΞΥ ΕΛΛΑΔΟΣ ΚΑΙ (1) …………………………
    CLAIM
    FOR THE APPLICATION OF THE DOUBLE TAXATION
    CONVENTION BETWEEN GREECE AND (1) ……………
    Αυτή η αίτηση ισχύει για ένα ημερολογιακό έτος – This claim is valid for one calendar year
    2. ΠΡΑΓΜΑΤΙΚΟΣ ΔΙΚΑΙΟΥΧΟΣ ΤΟΥ ΕΙΣΟΔΗΜΑΤΟΣ
    BENEFICIAL OWNER OF THE INCOME (block letters)
    Πλήρες όνομα/επωνυμία/τίτλος
    Full Name or Name of firm………………………………………………………………………………..
    Νομική μορφή
    Legal form …………………………………………………………………………………………………
    Δραστηριότητα / επάγγελμα
    Activity/profession…………………………………………………………………………………………
    Πλήρης δ/νση (οδός, πόλη, ταχ. κώδικας, χώρα)
    Full address (street, city, postal code, country)……………………………………………………………
    Όνομα και διεύθυνση αντιπροσώπου στην Ελλάδα
    Name and address of Representative in Greece (if any)…………………………………………………..
    Ημερομηνία σχετικού συμφωνητικού – Date of Power of Attorney (if any)………………………………
    II. Ο ΚΑΤΑΒΑΛΛΩΝ ΤΟ ΕΙΣΟΔΗΜΑ
    PAYER OF THE INCOME
    Πλήρες όνομα / επωνυμία / τίτλος
    Full Name or Name of Firm……………………………………………………………………………….
    Νομική μορφή
    Legal Form ….……………………………………………………………………………………………
    Δραστηριότητα/επάγγελμα
    Activity/ profession…………………………………………………………………………………………
    Πλήρης δ/νση (οδός, πόλη, ταχ. κώδικας,)
    Full address (street, city, post code)………………………………………………………………………..
    III. ΠΕΡΙΓΡΑΦΗ ΕΙΣΟΔΗΜΑΤΟΣ – DESCRIPTION OF THE INCOME
    IV. ΕΤΟΣ ΚΤΗΣΗΣ ΤΟΥ ΕΙΣΟΔΗΜΑΤΟΣ………………………………………………………………….
    YEAR DURING WHICH THE INCOME BECAME DUE………………………………………………
    V. ΛΟΙΠΕΣ ΠΛΗΡΟΦΟΡΙΕΣ – FURTHER DETAILS
    Κατά τη διάρκεια του ημερολογιακού έτους εντός του οποίου αποκτήθηκε το εισόδημα:
    During any calendar year in which the above specified income became due:
    d) ασχολήθηκε με εμπόριο ή άλλες εργασίες μέσω μιας μόνιμης εγκατάστασης NAI – YES
    που βρίσκεται στην Ελλάδα; / OXI – NO
    were you engaged in trade or business in Greece through a permanent
    establishment situated there in?
    e) ήσαστε εταίρος μιας προσωπικής εταιρείας που ιδρύθηκε και λειτουργεί στην Ελλάδα; NAI – YES
    were you a member of a partnership created or organized within Greece.? OXI – NO
    f) ήσαστε μέτοχος μιας ανώνυμης εταιρείας που ιδρύθηκε και λειτουργεί κατά NAI – YES
    τους ελληνικούς νόμους; OXI – NO
    did you possess a holding in a company created under Hellenic law.?
    Για οποιαδήποτε καταφατική απάντηση στις ερωτήσεις της περίπτωσης V, να δοθούν λεπτομερή στοιχεία
    (π.χ. ποσοστό συμμετοχής κλπ.) στην ένδειξη «Παρατηρήσεις».
    If any answer to be given under (V) is “yes”, give full particulars (e.g. percentage of participation e.t.c.)
    under item “Observations”
    ΠΑΡΑΤΗΡΗΣΕΙΣ – OBSERVATIONS ……………………………………………………………………….
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………………….………
    VI. ΔΗΛΩΣΗ ΤΟΥ ΔΙΚΑΙΟΥΧΟΥ – DECLARATION OF THE BENEFICIARY
    Δηλώνω ότι είμαι ο πραγματικός δικαιούχος του εισοδήματος που αναφέρεται στην
    προηγούμενη σελίδα και ότι τα αναφερόμενα σ’αυτή την αίτηση είναι απολύτως ακριβή.
    I hereby declare that I as beneficially entitled to the income mentioned over leaf and that the
    particulars given in this claim are true in every respect.
    Τόπος και ημερομηνία – Place and date Υπογραφή και σφραγίδα του δικαιούχου
    Signature and stamp of the beneficiary
    ………………………………………… ………………………………………..
    VII. ΠΙΣΤΟΠΟΙΗΤΙΚΟ ΤΗΣ ΦΟΡΟΛΟΓΙΚΗΣ ΑΡΧΗΣ ΤΗΣ ΧΩΡΑΣ ΚΑΤΟΙΚΙΑΣ ΤΟΥ ΔΙΚΑΙΟΥΧΟΥ
    ΤΟΥ ΕΙΣΟΔΗΜΑΤΟΣ
    CERTIFICATION BY THE TAX AUTHORITY OF THE BENEFICIARY’S RESIDENCE COUNTRY
    (i) (3) INDIVIDUALS – COMPANIES (2) = ΦΥΣΙΚΑ ΠΡΟΣΩΠΑ – ΕΤΑΙΡΕΙΕΣ (2)
    I certify that the beneficiary is /was (3) during the year specified overleaf, a resident of (1) .………………
    Πιστοποιώ ότι ο δικαιούχος είναι / ήταν, (3) κατά το έτος που ορίζεται ανωτέρω, κάτοικος (1)…………..
    κατά την έννοια των διατάξεων της προαναφερόμενης σύμβασης,
    (ii) (3) PARTNERSHIPS (4) ΠΡΟΣΩΠΙΚΕΣ ΕΤΑΙΡΕΊΕΣ (4)
    I certify that the whole, or ……….. percent of, (3) the capital of the beneficiary is owned directly by
    partners/members (3) residents of (1) ……………….. within the meaning of the a/m Double Taxation
    Convention.
    Πιστοποιώ ότι όλο το κεφάλαιο, ή ………… τοις εκατό του κεφαλαίου, (3) του δικαιούχου ανήκει άμεσα
    σε εταίρους / μέλη (3) (φορολογικούς) κατοίκους (1) ………………., κατά την έννοια των διατάξεων
    της προαναφερόμενης Σύμβασης.
    Τόπος και ημερομηνία – Place and date Υπογραφή – Signature …………………..
    Τίτλος – Designation …………………….
    …………………………………………..
    Σφραγίδα – Official Stamp of the Tax Authority
    Σημείωση – NOTES
    (1) The name of the Contracting State – Το όνομα του Συμβαλλόμενου Κράτους.
    (3) And any other entity which is a taxable unit – και οποιοδήποτε άλλο νομικό πρόσωπο το οποίο
    είναι φορολογικό υποκείμενο.
    (3) Delete as necessary – Διαγράψτε κατά περίπτωση.
    (4) And any other entity which is not a taxable unit – και οποιοδήποτε άλλο νομικό πρόσωπο το οποίο
    δεν είναι φορολογικό υποκείμενο.

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

head220px-Piratey,_vector_version.svg.png[/attachment:3qdumwyq]

So what category are you in John ? hmmm now lets think 1, 2, or 3 ❓

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Option 4:
    Issue receipts to your customers, collect receipts for your business expenses and pass the whole lot to the accountant every quarter. Pay VAT bill. Same as UK.

Keep your supermarket and other big receipts in a carrier bag by the door. Tot them up once a year and pass to said accountant.

Sign whatever papers accountant asks for, and pay bill.

Get on with your life.

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

From (3) do I take it you pay your taxes to Greece claiming back the tax paid in the UK from HMRC., or this the UK tax figure “credited” against what you will have to pay to the Greek Government ?

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

No H… According to my man, although declaring your worldwide income on the Greek tax return the form to the Hellenic tax authority will mean that if you pay UK tax, you will NOT pay tax in Greece – this form has to be compiled every year though.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic
    sundodger wrote:
    Had a meeting with our accountant yesterday & he outlined the NEW, new rules that will apply to foreign residents in Greece (EU) as from the next tax assessment due in April (for year 2011)
    It would seem that there will be three ways to reside here & without resorting to links to indecipherable translations, I would outline as explained to me.

1) ………………….

2) …………………

3) …………………

10,943,666) ………… Just do what 95% of Greeks do :roll:

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

… yes but that’s why the country is f**ked !… I just want to be a model citizen & do my bit :))

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@sundodger wrote:

… yes but that’s why the country is f**ked !… I just want to be a model citizen & do my bit :))

a bit much wanting to be a model at your time of life and shape sunnyboy! :mrgreen:
    Though I’m sure that your perfect model’s shape will be even more perfect by the time you’ve got through all that black pudding! :roll:
    Mrs kp tells me that while she was up with the family in Edinburgh last week our chef son-in-law was making black pudding and feeding it to our 3 year old grandson as he wants him to grow up with a cultured palette! 😯 Mrs kp says that although she loves the stuff, she prefers it ready to eat and doesn’t enjoy being around it being made or even cooked!

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric
    sundodger wrote:
    !) Live in Greece, don’t own a house here or a Greek registered car… Draw all money via an ATM from your home country account or work in the “Black” economy & don’t complete an annual tax return…. Obviously illegal & subject to all penalties that would be incurred !

Quote:
    If only I had been gifted with the power of hindsight, this would have been the one for me, being a model citizen and doing things by the book is only for losers here on Lefkada or so “they” would have you believe, here’s how it goes, firstly you need to know a little about boats or boat engines, you must be prepared to spend a lot of time in bars frequented by gullible British yachties who will be only to pleased to provide you with a nice steady tax free income, you after all are British and therefore much more trustworthy than those Greeks, yes probably true but not necessarily.
    You will of course have driven over here in a Range Rover or Toyota 4×4 that you put a down payment on in the UK, you will have no problem running it as it will never need taxing or insuring now that you are here on the island where the police turn a blind eye to anything except perhaps mass murder.
    The only drawback with this happy go lucky lifestyle so far as I can see is that you must be constantly looking over your shoulder, somehow I don’t think that I could handle that, so I guess its paying property tax fighting and arguing about double taxation with my accountant, and trying to be a model citizen like Sunnyboy, its a pity there ain’t more of us :nod:

yachtmati
    Participant
    Neophyte

one of those chaps was pleased to inform me how his uk plated car was so cheap. “and if they catch me they can have it, it only cost a little” of course didnt seem to realise the giant fine that would happen too. but on lefkas seem to get away with such things. not so in athens.

suppose its like the public port fees on one island. someone asked one coastguard officer why they werent collecting them. he said “well if we did the money would just get sent to athens and we wouldnt see it”.

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Quote one of those chaps was pleased to inform me how his uk plated car was so cheap. “and if they catch me they can have it, it only cost a little” of course didnt seem to realise the giant fine that would happen too. but on lefkas seem to get away with such things. not so in athens. Quote
    As I am going to be moving to Athens does this mean that the Athens police are more vigilant than their island cousins?

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I can only imagine that with the new government there are going to be many changes so maybe hold fire for a little.

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Well that is what I am doing. Have only looked at flats online so far and have picked some that I want to have a look at. What bothers me is when I find one, transfering the money, I send it over and the Govt does something silly and I lose the lot. Can’t shove it down my knickers as those airport scanners will see it and even then I won;t have one of those pink slips that the tax boys are so keen on.
    We live in intereting times.

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Hi jo,
    I’ve PM’d you about transferring your money safely.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Foul shazzie :)) we all want to know clever tricks for such moments. I shall keep you in mind for financial advice.

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Oh Kiwi, please don’t believe i have ANY financial acumen !

Just my partner using her financial background.

GlennB
    Participant
    Neophyte

@jodevizes wrote:

Quote one of those chaps was pleased to inform me how his uk plated car was so cheap. “and if they catch me they can have it, it only cost a little” of course didnt seem to realise the giant fine that would happen too. but on lefkas seem to get away with such things. not so in athens. Quote
    As I am going to be moving to Athens does this mean that the Athens police are more vigilant than their island cousins?

The quote about ‘looking over your shoulder’ is right.

When we came here with our Brit car in 2007, people said “Ah, nobody will care, and making it legal will be damn near impossible and cost a fortune. Just drive it”. Then the UK tax, insurance and MOT were all due to expire in quick succession and we’d have had the most illegal car in Greece. That’s OK until something bad happens, right?

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@Shazzie wrote:

Oh Kiwi, please don’t believe i have ANY financial acumen !

Just my partner using her financial background.

Your partner’s ‘financial accumen’? 😯
    She was a banker! They were the ones responsible for all our woes! That’s the sort of ‘financial accumen’ they have! :angry:
    No wonder she was able to retire to Greece at 25…… :roll:

p.s…. love to you and Bea from us all here…. are you missing us yet? :mrgreen:
    xxx

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Of course KP, miss you and the missus every day – no beerbutt chicken anymore !!!!

Technically BB wasn’t a banker but a building society manager – not sure if that’s a real difference or not !

Any chance you’ll be gracing the fair shores of Kalamata anytime soon ?

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@Shazzie wrote:

Of course KP, miss you and the missus every day – no beerbutt chicken anymore !!!!

Technically BB wasn’t a banker but a building society manager – not sure if that’s a real difference or not !

Any chance you’ll be gracing the fair shores of Kalamata anytime soon ?

‘Building Society Manager’ or ‘Bank Manager’…. you say Tomato and I say Tomatoe (or is supposed to be ‘potatoe & potato’?) :mrgreen: They’re all to blame! Especially Bea I heard! :mrgreen:

As for coming over anytime soon, we’re aiming at Easter, but only if we can have ‘Beer Butt Chicken’ together! :unibrow:

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Yep count me in – but it’ll have to be Beer Butt Squash for the veggie amongst us !! 😆 😆

rover
    Participant
    Neophyte

Reported fomthe PSM site today
    It has just been announced by the Greek Tax Authorities that PERSONS WHO RESIDE OUTSIDE OF GREECE and DO NOT RECEIVE ANY INCOME IN GREECE OR FROM GREEK SOURCES, will not be required to submit income Tax Declarations for the year 2014.

This means that if you do not receive income from rental of your Greek property or pensions from a Greek Pension fund and do not receive interest from bank accounts (to name a few sources of income), you will not be required to submit a tax declaration this year. This is true even if you own real estate and/or vehicles in Greece. ……. more

BUT……………

Here is the advice from 2 local accountants :-

’This is true. If you do not receive an income here in Greece, you do not have the obligation to file a tax return. But one euro of interest from your bank account here in Greece obliges you to file a return. Things are not so clear yet. My advice is to file this year and not take the risk.’ Ioannis E Mavreas

’This is for the next year not for now. And the problem is that, if you have even 1 euro interest from your bank account, you have to do tax paper E1 here in Greece. So I think that most people will continue to do E1 every year. We are waiting for more details about it, because we have a lot of time until the E1 of 2016 when it will be starting’. Kelly Vavali

SandT
      Participant
      Hoplite

Re above, we had to do a tax return this year because we have a Greek bank deposit account – interest received was not much more than €1 this year and tax is deducted.  Surely the Greek Government could amend this to make non-resident tax return only needed if income is more than (say) €50  (with current interest rates you’d have to have a lot of money in banks here to get more).  As tax is paid on interest anyway, this would save work on a lot of zero tax returns.  We need a bank account to pay electricity, etc so not sure how we could avoid this.  As non-residents we are not permitted to do our own tax return online so cost of receiving interest (€50 accountant’s fee for zero tax return) was far more than interest received.  Laws seem to change every year!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Maybe someone else has a clever suggestion to help you out sandt. As you say, the rules change by the minute.

jeanjeanie
    Participant
    Neophyte

Has anyone heard about a land tax that is about to come into force?

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Yes it’s called ENFIA. They are still pondering on the finer points.

One stupid new law applies to landlords. If you have a tenant who doesn’t pay the rent, you are taxed on the rent he hasn’t paid and you haven’t received.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

But ENFIA isn’t new, (it’s been around since 2013 I think?) the only thing is that they promissed they’d end it and then didn’t… :negative:

What else is new. :unsure:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.