Real Bacon (Dry Cure)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  kiwi 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

For those who miss real Bacon – Make your own… Dead easy. I have purchased a propriety cure mix (easier & safer should you get the saltpeter percentage wrong) Just take a boned out Pork loin rub well with the correct amount of mix. Vac pac. & then leave in the fridge for one day every half inch of max thickness + 2 extra days. Rinse off excess cure mix & put back in the fridge for a few hours to dry out – Slice as req & there you go…. Real old fashioned bacon whenever you want. :)) :mrgreen:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Wow! At last! reb_bravo another culinary delight!

I thought Sunnyboy had given up food!

Come on now, as soon as it’s ready, spill the beans (and add an egg???) tell us what it is like when eaten and which “propriety cure mix” you used.

….mouth watering already……… :nod:

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

Why are you tying it with a tape measure?

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

… ‘Cos I want to see how far three kilos will go ! :))

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@sundodger wrote:

… ‘Cos I want to see how far three kilos will go ! :))

In waistline expansion? 😕 A looooong way! 😯

:mrgreen:

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

see what happens when you eat too much bacon?
    Look at the picture…. your wrist has grown a double chin! :roll:

Sorry John….. couldn’t resist it! :mrgreen:

stabitandsteer
    Participant
    Neophyte

[quote
    Look at the picture…. your wrist has grown a double chin!

Looks more like the trotter from the source that the bacon came from ! 😆 With even bigger apology to SD , but assuming that your continued presence here is indicative of the irreverent sense of humour that we all share so hope you won’t be too offended :-)

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

No reason whatsoever to be offended ! I know that all remarks are merely an obtuse form of endearment :))
    Besides – I am the one who now has Black pudding, bacon & as of today …………………. My very own home made Lincolnshire (style) Sausages :)) :mrgreen:

stabitandsteer
    Participant
    Neophyte

And very impressive it all looks !

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Here we are then !…At last – The full English! Black pudding previously tried & approved, Bacon & sausages now ready & that makes three items on the plate home made – Can report that bacon is wonderful – No scum in the pan & real bacon with rind on – Great flavour! Sausages were the thing I was apprehensive about. but no worries – Fantastic, smooth meaty & juicy with a nice hint of sage, plus didn’t burst open when cooking. Well worth the effort ! :)

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Ah but you’re biased Sunnyboy what you need is an independent taste test; put the frying pan on again, be round in ten minutes! :))

Now you’ve perfected the links how about some Lorne sausage?

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

If you grew your own tomatoes and mushrooms, plus used your own eggs from your chickens, the whole plate would be the ultimate in home grown! Great going mate, I’m incredibly jelous! 😀

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

When you next pass kp – Brekky is on me ! :))
    Hey Kalo! – Now then Lorne sausage, that takes me back to my time in Helensburgh & “William Lowe’s” Supermarket – The butcher there used to sell lovely Lorne sausage. I had never seen it before & considered square slices of a sausage without a skin unusual – Lovely just fried & served along with the bacon, black pudding, fried eggs, mushrooms, tomato. Hash browns, baked beans & a couple of slices of fried bread :))

stabitandsteer
    Participant
    Neophyte

@KP wrote:

If you grew your own tomatoes and mushrooms, plus used your own eggs from your chickens, the whole plate would be the ultimate in home grown! Great going mate, I’m incredibly jelous! 😀

And dug up your own clay to make your own plates and cut your own trees to make the table etc. 😆

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

…..and then there’s the fruit pudding, white pudding, sliced haggis…………..to make.

Now there’s a thing after the black pudding manufacture! Sunnyboy walking through his village with the sheeps intestines etc on his way to try the haggis. reb_popo That should get them talking. All those intestines and not even Easter! 😆

I lay down the challenge!……………… 😉

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@sundodger wrote:

When you next pass kp – Brekky is on me ! :))
    :))

No doubt you mean well Dodger, but don’t you think that a calorie overload of that magnitude may prove fatal for a person of KPs advanced years and physical condition. :unibrow:

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

…That was the reasoning behind the offer Nimbo… Gotta get rid of the old blowhard somehow ! :))
    Welcome back by the way from wherever you have been… Gosh we all thought that it was you that may have shuffled off – And without saying goodbye ! :))

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

… And yet more – Bacon chops :)) :mrgreen:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Stop it! Stop it right now! :(

How am I supposed to be happy with my shrinking bacon of a morning with such delights wafted under our noses………..

Mind you I did have home made tattie scone with mine :))

Egan65
    Participant
    Neophyte

WOW they are looking very yummy.. I cannot forget the taste those hot dogs which are cooked by my uncle’s hands. Anyhow thanks for sharing.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Thought I would give Sunnys bacon a bump to remind folks. It looks so delicious. It reminded me because Mr kiwi and his mates got together and had a sausage making day with everyone sharing the results. Mixture of pork and beef mince thrice ground MUCH garlic, paprika, pepper salt and beef bone stock, where bones are boiled to within an inch of obscurity and added to the mix, including the fat floating off it.
    No fat equals lousy dry sausages. They also added some pork fat into the mince.

Why have all the recipes stopped coming sunnyboy?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.