Positive news on Gypsies

Forums Out & About in Greece Culture & Lifestyle Positive news on Gypsies

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  The Grocer 3 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

notready7
    Participant
    Neophyte

I am in desperate need of hearing something positive about Gypsies.
    I am currently living in Kalamata and can’t seem to hear anything positive.

There’s got to be one positive outcome from an encounter with Gypsies!

Please share if you have one – no negative ones please as those are everywhere already.

I am very far from being a naive person – know the gypsies very well and their kind, there’s lots of them in my own country, but there’s also good in everyone and everything.

Thank you!!!!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Well, with those parameters set up, this could prove to be a short and quiet post! :mrgreen:

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

They give al sorts of lowlife’s an excuse for feeling superior and good about themselves… :roll:

notready7
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ha ha ha ha ha I guess I am a dreamer – it will be short and quiet post.

I’ll tell you both a few…

Once on a long boat ride after exchanging my cheap 0.99 cent bracelet for a pair of cheap earrings, I actually got to hang out and with them and they fed me :) No conversations since the language barrier then was a great one.

I was once wished very well by one of them with heart felt intention not because I gave her money, but because I wished her well and held her hand.

Last but not least… I can always count on them playing with my son at any park since the Greeks kids are not very friendly :(

So… that is my 3 small contributions.

notready7
    Participant
    Neophyte

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ― Maya Angelou

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@notready7 wrote:

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ― Maya Angelou

Pretty obvious that Maya Angelou did not have a wife… :roll:

:mrgreen:

But seriously, I like the quote.

I don’t think I’ve ever treated gypsy’s differently or have been treated differently by them.

notready7
    Participant
    Neophyte

She wrote it knowing too well, after all… her husband was Greek
    So that’s one good thing that came out of being married to a Greek!

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

They wear brightly coloured clothes;
    Carry pretty flowers;
    Live in ways that do not need buildings;
    Have strong family bonds and long lines of traditions;
    Help clear the land of scrap metal;
    Always have left over tarmac from jobs that they will sell at knock down rates;
    Are great at job creation schemes for insurance companies and police (perhaps not in Greece!);
    Are a change from Witnesses at the door;
    Fully embody the Greek spirit of tax avoidance;

……..you may think some of those are positive thoughts but many will not!
    Am I jaundiced? Perhaps.
    Sorry, could not think of anything more to your liking!

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

Kolofarthos, you so correct…… and there are so many other useful services they offer…

Supermarket trolley protection service at most Lidl stores
    Accident prevention by ensuring car windscreens are cleaned at every set of traffic lights
    Super quick installation of air circulation systems for caravans by unbelievably quick removal of windows (personally experienced in Zarcharo)
    Flood relief programme by removing drain grids from many roadways
    Assistance in emptying charity clothing recycling banks of good clothes
    Property protection, helping establish weaknesses in your house security systems
    Ensuring communications companies constantly update their wiring to give the best service possible by removing any old copper wiring etc.

and they’ll certainly be able to cure this….
    (http://www.kalamatatoday.gr/2013/07/blog-post_8931.html)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.