pet peeves

This topic contains 238 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  yumcha 10 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

BostonGirl
    Participant
    Neophyte

OK we need a new topic folks (yes I’m totally bored right now) so here goes:

Now, I know we all love living here, otherwise we’d be elsewhere right now, so don’t take this as a rant against our beloved Hellas, but…

What is your biggest pet peeve about life in Greece?

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Do we have to pick just one? LOL
    actually, Boston girl this is a good idea. we can “vent” little frustrations or gripes. been waiting for a thread like this!

Ok, I’ll start.
    for right now, I’d have to say, if you make even the tiniest complaint, or question anything, why is it, so many are so quick to think (if you are an expat) that you aren’t assimilating, or you shouldn’t live here if you don’t like it,et.? that drives me nuts!
    come on, let’s get real, you can move anywhere in the world, and there will always be at least a little something that is frustrating or hard to deal with, or just unpleasant.NOWHERE is perfect. I’d have to say that’s my biggest pet peeve right now.
    Greece isn’t perfect. some people can’t accept that, or if you mention anything…
    BUT-as you said- it does NOT mean we don’t want to be here, or we don’t love it.

oh, thank you! it felt SO GOOD to say that!

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

I think the main thing that annoys me (among many) I have just come to really understand in the last few years just how corrupt the health system really is. IKA is a huge joke and as for fakalakia being a thing of the past, lol I have been in and out of the hospitals so much lately with my in laws and they give at least 75% of their pensions to the doctors. Now most people will argue that the people shouldn’t give anything, but I have seen what happens if you don’t pay up and it isn’t pleasant. OK got that off my back now and I am sure that there will a lot of comeback on this even if it is from any doctors or med students who read this!!!

Angela
    Participant
    Neophyte

Jenn, I was kind of flabbergasted to read your post above. Here’s what you said to me in another thread (Why Greece) after I posted about one specific issue (correction, two issues):

quote:

I thought this thread was called Why Greece, not, let’s bash greece.
    anyway, do you still live here?
    are you happier where you are at?
    if you’re gone, and happier, wonderful. I wish you the best of luck. but, sometimes experiences are water under the bridge-you can’t change them, or take back time.
    it sounds like you have a big grudge against the country as a whole, and can’t say anything positive.

Perhaps you should practice what you preach in this thread.

Sorry to everyone else for diverging from the topic. On topic again, oh, I can’t choose! (Irony alert)

BostonGirl
    Participant
    Neophyte

Yes, IKA can be rather scary. Speaking of health issues (getting off-topic too, but who cares) I have private health insurance and just had my first check-up at a private health clinic (Euromedica).

After 10 yrs in Greece, this was my first experience having a check up here.

Anyway, it was OK – very clean, modern, polite & professional doctors and nurses. However… I found it strange that they didn’t take my vital stats (blood pressure, height/weight, heart rate, etc) and during the various phases of the check up, I didn’t have any time with a GP, to discuss general state of my health, etc and when I went to pick up the results, again, no discussion with a GP, I was just handed a folder of the results and sent on my merry way… In that regard it was much different than a check up in the US. Oh well… Whatever….

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Blah,
    Angela I was making the point that if you mentioned day to day small things,( not huge greece bashing I hated it here type crap), that people took it this way. I see you still have a bitter taste in your mouth, about apparently EVERYTHING. that’s your problem not mine. jeeze.
    moving on-

BostonGirl the same thing happened recently with me with ‘the folder’ LOL I too found it odd, but we took it to my doctor and she looked it over and explained. all in all though, when I had to go for tests, it was really more efficient than over in the states, and a lot more affordable, too.
    but a bit strange, yes.

Angela
    Participant
    Neophyte

I see you still have a problem with perspective, Jenn.

Sorry for the noise folks, this shall be the end of it from my end.

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

I think this business of the fakalakia is shocking. I’m a dentist (still UK at the moment). It is so easy to regulate medical professionals. All you need is a strong regulatory body with the power to de-register an offending professional and so prevent them from working.

The only down side is that all this costs money, which in turn pushing up the price of healthcare.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Perhaps somebody should set up a ‘Name & Shame’ website of doctors who expect brown envelopes….. from what I know of Greece, public shame is a very strong weapon as ‘losing face’ is everyone’s fear here![}:)]

I know…… it’s not a practicable suggestion as proof would be needed each time, but we can always live in hope of a system like that working![:D] Oh well…. never mind….. back to the little person suffering as always![:(!]

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

1. Taxi drivers who “own” the road.
    2. People who abandon dogs.
    3. Persistant windscreen washers at the traffic lights.
    4. That bloke off Omorfos Kosmos to Proi who always has stubble and who should be thrown over a cliff.

GiH Admin

johnny.dee
    Participant
    Neophyte

4. That bloke off Omorfos Kosmos to Proi who always has stubble.

That is called designer stubble, pur late ninetys thing and a bit outdated.

do I detect a bit of envy here sjs?

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Na, I shave mine every morning (chin, that is). It’s just the way he gets hysterical all the time and thinks he’s god’s gift to the world whereas in reality he’s a short fat man who’s going to grow up into a short fat old man.

I shall now continue my Buddhist chant.

GiH Admin

watson
    Participant
    Neophyte

Actually at the moment he’s a shortish, plumpish very charming man who might just keep his charm when he gets older (if he loses everything else!) How on earth did you come up with him SJS? The Cretan & Mani sites are going to have a field day with this, you realise.

rheia
    Participant
    Neophyte

Well, one thing about Greece I am not missing is being growled at (e.g.) postoffice, when I am not sure about something.

Went to the postoffice yesterday (here in NZ) and wanted to send a registered letter. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a physical address, only private bag. What happened???
    The assistant rang the people and asked for their address, and then wrote it down for me.

I would have been quite told off back there.(and felt really bad)

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

I might be a bit ‘green’ but can’t a person make a complaint to the Greek Department of Health/ Clinical Director of relevant hospital/ Nomarkia?

Perhaps everyone should be advised to carry dictaphones to hospital appointments to record any conversation in an effort to gather evidence.

Out of interest, how much money is one expected to put in the fakalaki and what does it buy you?

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hey, all [:)]

I know #1 on my son’s list would be the rude locals.

He’s been in Greece for 1 week now and what he noticed first off was the rudeness. It started in the airport when he asked a question and was actually told that he was ‘stupid’. I told him that the person had to have not known how extremely rude and in bad taste it is to call someone ‘stupid’.

Then out and around, touring the city, he needed a bathroom – ah oh – there he was being ‘stupid’ again. He ended up finding a bathroom, but he was spouting out his ears by that time.

So, off to purchase a cell phone. He waits in line for 1 hour, gets to the front of the line and is pushed out of the way by someone impatient about paying his phone bill, yelling who knows what at him in Greek – this was right after he’d developed an infection from not being able to locate a bathroom.

He’s having a great time and feels like he’s going to love it there. And I’m sure that in no time he won’t even notice the rudeness, having assimilated so well he has learned to be just as rude himself [:D]

By the way, today he had his first occasion to have a taxi driver try to rip him off (but it was 1 out of about 10 taxi rides) and, thanks to this forum, he had already been forewarned to watch the meters. The taxi driver didn’t get away with it [8)]

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

mmm, yes, overall, I have to agree with Mary and some of the others, RUDE behavior is at the top of my list.
    By all manners of different people /places. just the level of Rude behavior in general, is annoying to say the least. it really gets old at times.
    oh, and taxi drivers- but they fall under this classification too.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

SJS don’t tell me you are lealous of Gregory!!! he is just cute and cuddly!! where as you are witty, handsome,charming,sexy etc etc !!!

watson
    Participant
    Neophyte

Nikanne I see we agree once again (but I didn’t grovel to sjs!)

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

not really grovelling Watson, just a bit of good old scottish sarcasim!!

watson
    Participant
    Neophyte

Shhh….! I think sjs may have heard……..

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

I would agree rudeness is one of my pet peeves. Used to ruin my entire morning when staff at local supermarket were rude or indifferent. HELLO I am at the check out desk that means I want to PAY?!! They just ignore you and take ages to come over. Anyway you know what? I changed supermarkets and am a lot happier for it! Ok so couldn’t change post offices but don’t go there that often so can live with that.

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

Have you noticed that when they come around to you they won’t eat or drink anything – BUT – when you go around to them, no matter how you protest. There’s no way you can get away without being “fed & watered.”
    Also everything we do is wrong! – that’s not the way WE do it they say.
    Not so much of a peeve really, have now taken to smiling a lot & doing what I want.

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

I totally agree John! We don’t know anything us Xenoi! Just like you I have taken to just smiling politely and then doing it my own way anyway. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Everyone was most dismayed when I insisted on having the washing machine in the kitchen. And yes there ARE more ways than one to cut a tomato. I am also very happy with my garden fork and spade, I couldn’t wield one of those implements they use to dig the ground for anything. Can’t even think what they’re called in English off the top of my head.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

I agree too. completely. actually, I’ve taken to doing the exact same thing, smiling then trying to do it my own way- (when not obligated to do something the ‘right’ way)
    although I try to ignore it, it really gets to the rediculous point sometimes, and can tend to ruin a day, week.et. makes me want to scream sometimes.
    (ok, yep having a bad day here LOL)
    due to guess what?
    AGH!
    (It’s my fiance’s name day. I didn’t even attempt to cook or anything, since I don’t know anything. So, I figured i’d let everyone else do it, since they are anyway…So right now, I’m hiding from the kitchen area, and waiting around for people to show up. yay)

ok, thanks for listening sorry to rant. ๐Ÿ˜†

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

I’m starting to believe that my perception of Greece is actually from a different universe.

We are talking about this country in the south-east of Europe, right?

I find that people around where we are will sometimes tell us that they do things differently but they’re mostly pretty interested in seeing how I tackle things and freely admit that my method may be better sometimes.

(On the other hand, if they have a better method I’m happy to learn.) ๐Ÿ˜€

It’s also a widely accepted fact that Yolanda (my wife that is) makes a better mousaka then anybody else around there, and she’s not Greek either.

I do agree though on the being forced to be fed & watered when visiting thing.
    It took us a fairly long time to get people to accept that we might just come by for a chat and nothing more.
    (And for them not to be pissed off when they see you having coffee with someone else in the village the next day.) :roll:

rheia
    Participant
    Neophyte

Don’t worry Jenn. I am HEAPS older than u, and still feel that I don’t know anything when I am over there.
    I sometimes wonder how I managed to bring up 3 boys without their help.

Keep Smiling

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ian,
    I suspect your situation may just be different than mine or a few of the others here, that’s all.
    It makes a big difference.
    Also, both of you are not Greek, right?
    some of this comes from being married to a Greek person, and the interactions/differences that come with either the husband or wife being non Greek.
    Also, village life is somewhat different than city life, in many regards.
    this might be why it seems very different for you.
    consider yourself lucky if you are NOT having some similar issues.
    ๐Ÿ˜†

Rheia-
    Thank you So much! It helps just to hear a simple few words like that sometimes. you did indeed give me a smile. (worth a million!)
    Even though I was frustrated, I was kind of happy to not bother with anything in the end!
    We actually ended up having a fabulous time. Eating singing dancing music and drinking until 4 in the morning.(with about 40 people- that’s a small party for us! LOL)
    Although every once in a while I feel very frustrated, I am very lucky that the family I am marrying into isn’t full of a lot of the typical drama and other things… and everyone is very warm to me and understanding.
    BUT, being non Greek, I suppose there is always going to be days it makes me want to scream LOL
    ๐Ÿ˜†

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Very true Jenn and Rheia! Yes Rheia’s words made me laugh too! Sounds like you’re marrying into a lovely family Jenn – at least they know how to let their head down! My husband’s family too are lovely and have been very welcoming to me. But yes you hit the nail on the head when you said that Ian is probably having a completely different time in Greece with both partners not being Greek. It is a COMPLETELY different ball game. I have friends where both partners are not Greek and they can just happily go on toodling about doing things their own way with nothing but a polite show of interest from the locals.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

๐Ÿ˜†
    Domino!
    you’re a treasure.
    I don’t know why but it really helps to know it’s a common thing, and not just me. when I first got here I thought my god, have I lost my mind? am I imagining this? Am I in the twilight zone? it was just so incredible to me. LOL
    you’re So right about that- they just don’t seem to understand there is ANY other way to do things!

you know, I don’t mind if someone says, hey, Can I help you, or want some help, et. that’s polite, but I think we both know that’s not what we’re talking about…

On the other side of it, I understand MIL or grannies (grandmothers,) or Aunts wanting to participate to feel a part of thier kid’s lives, or in some way, make someone feel welcome.(by helping out or doing things together) Thank god I am understanding- I am pretty tolerant, and try to see it from the other side as much as possible, too. So a lot of times, I let things go, or go with the flow, or even ask, can you show me this,et?
    usually they get a big kick out of it when I ask them to show me something. (even if I obviously have done it a million times LOL)

I’ve even used the idea as a way to bond, or break the ice. sounds weird, but it works. ๐Ÿ˜†

Yes, Domino, I’m pretty lucky, as I suspect you are, I think we both are in good families. I know there is FAR worse behavior from what I have heard/ seen.
    So I consider myself blessed, really.
    So I try as much as possible to be gracious and accept thier ‘help’. but- we ALL have had those moments (xeni can’t possibly make salads, right?! LOL)

what’s hard for me is the immediate family all lives in the same building. (because the kids own it)LOL can you imagine?
    So I’m trying to hang on until we mo
    ve.
    really, it’s not so bad, it’s just all of us kids (ie; my fiance and his 2 brothers, 1 is married) except ‘Mom’ lives in the building, too.

And No one else in the family, the Aunts/Uncles.et ever has told me how to do anything or insisted.et. they’ve been overly anxious to help out at times, LOL but I don’t mind that.
    everyone lives in different neighboorhoods here anyway-except one uncle who lives on the next block from us.
    the others in Irakilo and up north.

What’s really cool is my fiance’s brother who is married has the most wonderful wife, and we’ve become good friends, and she’s just upstairs- and speaks English, So I got REALLY lucky!

Maybe I shouldn’t get so personal on the site, but, eh, I just don’t care. maybe it will help someone else who reads it.
    if it does, then it’s worth it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ok, here’s a pet peeve…
    since I’ve given some background it will make sense.
    My fiance is in a wheelchair- he’s a paraplegic.
    he needs a lot of help, even though he can move around and use his arms/hands.
    I don’t get a DAY OFF. ok, that’s not the pet peeve- here it is:
    His brother’s wife is praised for everything she does, and how good of a cook she is, et. et. everything you can imagine, it’s just perfect. she can do no wrong.
    but, she doesn’t work, has a completely renovated apartment with everything imaginable in it (appliances.et.) a BMW to drive (which she doesn’t) huge kitchen- no one bothering her every day about how to do crap, AND of course, her husband isn’t disabled.
    it’s easy to be a great cook with a completely brand new kitchen 3 times the size of yours that you aren’t sharing with others, and if you have nothing better to do all day than to cook something. LOL
    I just felt after the first few times of hearing just how perfect she is blah blah blah from the MIL- like screaming.
    I just felt it was incredibly unfair
    and insensitive.

I thought, hmm, let’s see how perfect everything she does would be if she had to get up everyday at 6:30 in the morning to do everything for her husband… with others always saying no, do it this way, no don’t do that, no no no no.
    AGHHHHHH!
    yeah, if I could sleep in, didn’t have to dress my other half, or he could walk up the stairs himself, or make lunch himself while i was out shopping- I imagine i’d have a LOT more time and patience to do a lot of things the ‘right’ way, too.

ok, now that i’ve had my nervous breakdown I feel MUCH better. ๐Ÿ˜†
    rant over.
    thanks for listening. hope it gives a little amusement to people reading it.
    and remember- whatever you got going on- it could always be worse!

I could mention many other things that are pet peeves, but I won’t.
    and don’t even go there with me, anyone about this being some big cultural debate- it’s NOT. i’m here because i love it, and love my life with the man i’m marrying. I’m not even remotely Greece bashing…So-

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

Well, Jenn, you know the ‘OTHER’ DIL is always the better one LOL! You’re probably going to hear things like that for the rest of your days – or until your SIL does something really scandulous ๐Ÿ˜‰ And you never know, it could happen — something to look forward to, anyway ๐Ÿ˜†

MIL problems are universal though, so kudos to you for being able to look past it and get on with your life!

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

๐Ÿ˜†
    thank you Mary!
    I doubt she’d ever do anything scandalous, but…
    Sad thing is , I love this girl. she is a good friend for me, and knows how hard it is for me. it’s the MIL. agh.
    I wonder how many marriages have been ruined from Greek MIL’s LOL
    (as if my situation isn’t hard enough!)
    but, like you said, doing the best I can and trying to just keep going, chin up and live our own life.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

Hi Jenn and I really sympathise with you!!! I think the worst problem is that you are living so close together, my m in law is quite far away which suits us fine and we see her when WE want!!! I also lived in the same building as my S in law for 10 years and we had such huge fights that we didnt just move house we moved cities!!! We still don’t speak that much, and she was also very nice and friendly when I first met her!! be warned! I don’t think it is typically a greek thing as I have heard similar stories from the UK, as I said I think the main problem is location. Once you move away, if you do I think you will find attitudes will change, especially when they realise that you can actually do thing by yourself without them around!!! good luck and hope you all enjoy your night out!! ๐Ÿ˜›

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi Nikanne!
    Thank you so much.
    Maybe all of this should be in the foriegners marrying Greeks thread, but since it is pet peeves, I hope it’s ok to post this stuff here.
    Anyway, thank you everyone for giving me encouragement, it means a lot.
    Nikanne, you know funny you say that- even though I like her, I have NEVER ever complained about the MIL around her- I just suspect it could come back to haunt me one day so I just basically don’t admit or vent to anyone here, even people I think are friends. sad? yeah.
    but that’s ok, I have my own friends, and I can vent to them, it’s not worth it to later find out she told everything you said in confidence or something.
    I think I might have got really lucky though- She actually comes from a similar background/situation as me, and I we are genuinely friends, and I can’t imagine ever fighting with her.(we’re both not drama types, rare, I know LOL)

anyway, time will tell, until then, I will just try to keep my sanity.
    As soon as we are out on our own I am sure we’ll be much happier!

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

๐Ÿ‘ฟ
    pet peeve of the day:
    Eating lunch with the family, and having everyone around you carry on a conversation in Greek, without looking at you, or even trying to include you in the conversation, as if you don’t exist. and not one attempt to speak English although everyone at the table speaks English completely fine…
    talk about rude-
    in my country, (or even my Mother’s) we wouldn’t do something like that to someone.
    we would at least TRY to include the person or say a few things in thier language, so they wouldn’t feel completely unwelcome.
    I don’t even bother to say what, or ask anymore. If they want to explain or include me they can. if not, fine.

Oh, but this is supposed to help me learn Greek- sure. whatever.

I would love to take them on a month long trip to America or Austria! ehem…

thanks for letting me rant ๐Ÿ˜‰

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

Oh Jenn I can see you are going through what I did about 20 years ago!!! even worse was when my greek wasn’t too bad and then instead of speaking to me slowly and clearly they would all go off on a rant together, I still get confused when more than ten people are speaking at once!!!

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

We all seem to go through this.
    I had a big in depth conversation with a woman at a wedding at weekend. She was married to an Iraqi some years ago and when her MIL came over to visit (for 6 months), it finished off her marriage. Subsequently the husband remarried (to his cousin, chosen by his mother). This second marriage has now also ended due to MIL’s negative interference.

What this woman said made a lot of sense: the husband must be on your side and defend you against his family. If he shows any sign of weakness in this aspect, you and your relationship will be a target for critiscm and interference.

Incidently, my friend, who was getting married, came over at this point and said, ‘Have you seen my MIL, she’s a right b@tch’. (MIL is English).

MILs, can’t live ’em, can’t kill ’em legally. ๐Ÿ˜†

I am still not on speaking terms with bf’s mother or sister and to be honest, that’s the best possible result for me. (who knows how we will handle the situation on the wedding day).

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

One thing that always anoys me no end is when you’re at a Kafeniou or something and the guy (or girl) you’re with obviously has this particular bug up their lower back end and just keeps going on about it! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

๐Ÿ˜†
    Nikanne, I think I am LOL
    Mimi- that’s too bad. i’ve heard and seen so many the same things too.
    Certain countries aren’t nearly as bad about that as some- but it is an International issue, not just Greek, LOL
    but there seems to be a particular brand of it here.
    ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I think WE ALL go thru this here. to some degree or another.
    in a twisted way, it’s nice to know we’re not alone. ๐Ÿ˜†

Ian, not sure I follow what you mean, but, anytime anyone has a bug up thier butt usually they’re no fun to be around! HA HA
    ๐Ÿ˜‰
    (and miserable people usually like to try and make everyone else around them miserable too!)
    run! run away very fast!

Nikanne- yes! who in the h*ll can understand anyone in ANY language when 10 people are shouting all at the same time? LOL

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Seems like we could have a whole new thread here on MILs (or inร‚ยดlaws in general!) or yeah maybe this is all covered in the Married to a Greek thread (or whatever it’s called).

Yes nikanne I do not understand that business with the language. Even when you understand a fair amount I find it is very rare to find someone who will tone down their level of conversation to your level of Greek (when they are in a group). Most of the time they just rant on at top speed and seem to have no interest in including you in the converstaion at all. Maybe all people are like that though when they are speaking their mother tongue. They just can’t be bothered.

I think I am very lucky with my MIL but she still cannot help commenting that my oven is dirty or something is unclean whenever she comes over! Guess it is just in the MIL blood. I do agree with Mimi though that how annoying they can be definitely depends on how much your husband stands by you (having one who is not a mummy’s boy helps!) or can at least see your point when you complain about her to him! I think I peeked in annoyance with my MIL when I had my first baby because I found her completely interfering and with apparently no understanding as to what it is like to be a new mother. We stayed at theirs for 3 months that first summer and I was DESPERATE to get back to Athens come September (and have my baby to myself). Now things have settled down and we are getting along well again. (Though them not living in Athens probably has a LOT to do with that LOL ๐Ÿ˜€ ).

Jenn think you are absolutely doing the right thing in wanting to move away at some point and live your own lives. So many Greeks don’t do that and live in each other’s pockets the whole time. Doesn’t foster a very independent or adventurous spirit I don’t think and just makes the soc
    iety as a whole quite conservative. ๐Ÿ˜•

Mimi sorry to hear that you are not talking to your MIL and SIL, that is a serious state of affairs. Any hopes of a reconciliation? Do they live near you?

Ian – yes I too did not understand your comment about bugs?? ๐Ÿ˜•

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ian, is there really some type of ‘bug’ that gets up a person’s lower back over there in Greece. I need to know this — and also how serious it is ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

๐Ÿ˜†
    Mary!
    HA HA I THINK (not sure) Ian might be meaning someone who has a ‘stick up thier arse’…
    Ian, is that what you meant?
    hope so!
    LOL

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

maybe its a cockroach or some other creepy crawly, I would certainly go on then too!!! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† especially if it was up my lower back end. ROFL. do we have another???? higher back end maybe!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

I reckon he’s on the run from the FBI and whoever he meets has a homing device and an audio bug placed upon their person.

Get some tinfoil and shape it into the form of a hat – they will never be able to hear your thoughts now!

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ian’s not responding so I’m very much afraid that whatever it was crawled over his way :roll:

rheia
    Participant
    Neophyte

Oh! Don’t be mean to MIL’s, as I am soon to be one.

My MIL. (RIP) will be laughing wherever she is, as my son will be marrying an ENGLISH girl :( and I have a feeling that, that is where they will make their home (she is coming here at christmas, so hopefully will change her mind) My son also likes the idea of being in Europe, where it is easy to visit other countries.

I kind of understand my MIL a little now, as it probably isn’t easy having a xeni DIL, especially one that did not look or act like a ‘good little greek girl’
    At least my DIL speaks english ( or a version of it ) :)
    [/b]

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

๐Ÿ˜†
    I’m sure any girl would be lucky to have you as a MIL.
    You know it’s not necessarily us girls not understanding them (at lest not me, I can see other sides usually) it’s when you bend over backwards for them, always show respect, try to bite your tounge when they are rude, hurtful,et. and none of it matters or is appreciated that the DIL’s start feeling ,well, like they want to tear thier hair out ! LOL

Although I Do have my days, usually i’m ok, and got pretty lucky with mine. We’re all human so I let a lot go, and just go on my merry way, and it keeps things smooth and we even have fun sometimes. peaceful co-existence is much easier this way. LOL

there’s also a generation gap that makes thing difficult I suspect for many with this issue. mine is no spring chicken. and i’m only 32.
    and until 1960 Greece wasn’t even growing, really. so there’s just vast life differences, and generation differences, and I try to keep that in mind.
    not that it is appreciated, but…
    anyway congratualations on your son and his new fiance!
    hope everything works out well for them both!

BostonChick
    Participant
    Neophyte

Funny – I’ve been reading this MIL topic and of course can relate to all the comments and opinions. I especially agree with Jenn, re “when you bend over backwards for them, are always respectful, bite your tongue, etc” and it’s never acknowledged or appreciated. THAT’s one of my biggest pet peeves lately.

I’ve known my ILs for 10 years now and I’ve always been extremely polite, respectful, never ruffling any feathers, practically to the point of being a doormat in the name of family harmony but things changed this past summer when a few issues with them came up and basically it was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

As melodramatic as this sounds, I totally came to the brink over all of it, and had this revelation. Since then I’ve decided to be totally indifferent with them (ILs, husband’s sister & her husband). I am not going to lose my sanity/happiness anymore just to please them and be accepted by them.

I’m still polite, etc but it’s such a charade, I really could take them or leave them. I don’t call them often anymore but when we talk on the phone or see each other I act totally normal, friendly, etc.

I think they’ve gotten the message loud and clear and I just don’t care anymore, don’t care what they think of me.

I suppose my point is this: once you start to show them that you really don’t give a shit about their opinions and inappropriate comments anymore and start holding them at arm’s length… only then do they start to back off. At least that’s what my experience has been. They’ve realized that whatever crap they say goes in one ear and out the other and my husband and I just do what we want anyway.

I can’t believe it took me so many years to figure this out.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

Am I the only person that reads MILF instead of MIL?! Quite a difference tho.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@Mary wrote:

Ian’s not responding so I’m very much afraid that whatever it was crawled over his way :roll:

It really didn’t!

When I’m on board (as in: now) I work very irregular hours and sleep when there’s an opportunity so please forgive me not responding any sooner. ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜ณ

To answer the question: I’m not aware of any bugs in Greece that do such an obnoxious thing. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
    Metaphorically speaking the said bug is a peeve and by nesting itself in the location mentioned earlier obviously becomes something like a pet.
    ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

OK I am going to stop “banging on about MILs” as sjs suggested I was doing last night. But I will just say one more thing – Rheia I too think you would be a brilliant MIL, but am also reminded of your story of your son’s girlfriend and the chocolate! Certainly was an eye opener to me as to how conniving MILs can be. I thought they were all just doing it unconsciously (being incredibly irritating and annoying I mean). Ok, ok I know I said I would stop… Will I be able to resist though -it is after all such fun banging on about MILs. ๐Ÿ˜€

Rurpled – eh? ๐Ÿ˜•

I realise that Ian was trying to take p*** in some manner but I just didn’t get it. :roll: Ian where are you? We don’t understand!

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@Domino wrote:

Ian where are you?

As I wrote somewhere else on this forum I’m working as a company representative for oil&gas companies.
    I do this on board ships involved with survey & installation work on subsea oil / gas fields.
    Right now I’m on a ship off the coast of Norway.

Search the web for “Ormen Lange” and you’ll know the project I’m in.

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ian, thank God!! I thought the nasty ‘back bug’ got you ๐Ÿ˜† I was just kidding with you — I do know what you mean about a friend that goes on and on, and on, and on — about one gripe or another :roll:

You know, if there are any young (21-26) women out there looking for a husband, Johnny’s available. And as I’m stuck in the States for awhile yet, there’ll be no MIL in the picture ๐Ÿ˜ฏ Johnny has assured me that, when we do get to Greece, he will keep the American custom of letting his mom and dad live under their own roof — no MIL/DIL squabbles in his home :( (ha ha). This, he feels, will make him a great catch in Greece! Any takers ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Jenn, I pray that you will be able to get out from under your MIL soon. The animosity she feels for you probably won’t end until you (and her son) are no longer under the same roof. I understand about having to keep the peace, but that’s a nervous break-down waiting to happen ๐Ÿ˜ฅ Especially as it puts such a strain on a relationship. At least you’ve got your artwork to immerse yourself in โ“ Plus, it always helps to be able to vent to friends, and I for one am always avai
    lable.

solitaire
    Participant
    Neophyte

Mkay….while in Greece recently I found I had this constant little headache throughout my whole stay there ….strange ….until I realised why! The cigarette smoking!!!!! R u all smokers? Greece is a non smokers living breathing nightmare !!!! aghhhhh!

I couldnt stand it! My challenge was to try find a table furthest away from the rest of the population so as I could breathe !

^ thats my greatest peeve abt Hellas ๐Ÿ˜›

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

๐Ÿ˜‰
    Hi Mary! and Thank you. you’re very right.It will be great when we can get away.
    Look, i’m not going to keep going on about the MIL’s either, it just happened,( this is a pet peeve thread, right? )
    anyway, Boston chick- EXACTLY. that’s kind of what happened already, but without any blowup. strange & hard to explain, but, I think you get me on that one.
    Funny, Some days she’s a gem. some days no problem at all, turning into more days like that- don’t know if it’s she’s realised we’re our own people and are going to live our lives together our way, or that i’m not a doormat (managed to convey that without any drama, miracle!)
    or something else. but it doesn’t matter. LOL
    (possible she really wants to like me, despite herself?! ha ha)

anyway my pet peeve now:
    trying to do business in Greece…
    yeah it has some advantages with the ‘word of mouth’ thing that’s so popular here and our friend has this can do this, blah blah blah instead of always dealing with total strangers, BUT.
    and then there’s the issue of no, sorry I prefer this… well no no take this, it’s better and we can do this… NO I want THIS. LOL
    ok, sure that made no sense but was fun to get off my chest.
    Sometimes I feel like screaming, LOOK! we’re giving you money! just shut up and do what I asked for, don’t ask why, it’s for me, not you! AGH!
    ๐Ÿ˜†
    I could go on and on a LOT more, but I won’t.
    I guess this is supposed to be just a quick one liner thread or something. not sure.

smoking- yes, a pet peeve of mine, too! even though I am a smoker right now. I want to be a non smoker again… but, it’s nearly impossible since EVERYONE AROUND ME 24/7 IS SMOKING!
    AGH!

ok i’m done,
    Thanks.

BostonChick
    Participant
    Neophyte

YES – re doing business here. (see my post on another thread for furniture maker…) I’ve contacted about four furniture makers, shown them my design of what I want built and the last guy seemed great, even came to the house and took measurements, etc… he said he’d give us an estimate… Then we kept calling him for the estimate and after the FOURTH call with no results we said forget this clown. He never called us with the estimate (surprise, surprise). And now we’re back to the drawing board. It’s like ‘HELLOoOo!!! I’m paying you good money to provide me with a product or service!!!’ WTF??!! Why is it so hard to get what you want? errr Rant over. Thanks for listening….

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Yes you are right this is supposed to be the pet peeve thread. And we are going to jolly well have a pet peeve. Besides all those men are repressed anyway (you think they love their MILs? NO they just can’t deal with it so they have to go on about things like PHP and stuff).

Continues…

And have you noticed how a lot of the MILs have absolutely terrible relationships with their Greek DILs – barely on civil terms a lot of them from what I can see. So they should really value their (possibly) more diplomatic non-Greek ones surely? (see BostonChick above)

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

๐Ÿ˜† Domino!
    good point, really. I’ve noticed that. it’s not just us xeni, it’s any DIl, i think, BUT us foriegners seem to really get it. so many differences.
    but yeah, you would think since most of us are very polite and at least TRY to be good DIL’s that it would count for something or that foriegn brides would be a welcome breath of fresh air! HA HA
    I think it is for some families, but…

BostonChick-oh God, do I know what you mean! have 3 ‘projects’ trying to get done right now and I want to pull my hair out with it all!
    (we’re Never going to get our house built, I think!)

Still waiting for a studio…

Don’t even want to THINK about mentioning a gallery or exhibition…LOL

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

Think I remember hearing that 1 in 7 Greeks are now marrying foreigners. This means a hell of a lot of xeni DILs and SILs.

I’m all in favour of it, variety being the spice of life and all…….

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

wonder if that says something about greek men and women??? my husband always said he would not marry a greek girl as he didnt want someone like his sister or mother!!!

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Jenn wrote:

…and then there’s the issue of no, sorry I prefer this… well no no take this, it’s better and we can do this… Sometimes I feel like screaming, LOOK! we’re giving you money! just shut up and do what I asked for, don’t ask why, it’s for me, not you! AGH!

Jenn – so true! I remember when we wanted to buy some kitchen tiles and I had a complete idea of what I wanted. Went to a few shops and these er.. shop assistants were telling me I should not have more than 2 colours and that then I could have them in a checkerboard pattern. (I wanted 4+ colours in a seemingly random pattern). Needless to say did not end up buying from that shop.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@BostonGirl wrote:

What is your biggest pet peeve about life in Greece?

Honestly, the people. I’ve been here 7 years and I still can’t warm up to them. Even speaking the language hasn’t helped. I have a bunch of foreign friends, but no Greek friends…in 7 years. I don’t even want Greek friends. The women are postively treacherous…and every single foreign woman I’ve met feels the same way.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Don’t hold back now TheMidnightSpecial โ— ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

I know it can be cathartic to get things off your chest….. but!! ๐Ÿ˜•

You have obviously been hurt and let down by a number of Greeks, just as we have all been by many different people of many different nationalities in our lives, and although it can be hard not to tar them all with the same brush, there can be a certain inevitability that it can happen if we allow it.

Unfortunately, when we do allow that to happen – because only we ourselves can allow it – we end up missing out on so much and only we suffer….. Right now, you are missing out on the great richness of relationships which could be had with the good and friendly Greeks you haven’t met yet….. You are the one missing out.

Take a risk…… risk being let down or even hurt again….. the potential benefits will far outweigh any hurt in the long run….. and isn’t that what life is all about? And after all…… you are in Greece anyway! ๐Ÿ˜€

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

Gosh this is more complicated now……………Anyway, back on subject.

I think it’s hard to really integrate in a foreign country, and if you’re married to a Greek and relying on forming proper friendships with his friend’s wives, you’d have to be very lucky (in any country). Funnily enough something strange and very unpleasant seems to happen to us women when our men are around: it’s all so competitive.

What I found was that I got more satisfaction from meeting other women through my own interests. I’m a very keen belly dancer and for the short time I attended classes in Athens, (in a class full of Greek women), I found them to be very friendly and particularly interested in me as a foreigner. They invited me out drinking with them even though I’d only known them for a short space of time. They were free-thinking, fun liberal girls who knew how to have a good time.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

I have many greek friends both men and women, the only people I don’t really get on with are close relatives, the women see me as a threat and the men just don’t trust me, I speak my mind and don’t do everything my husband says!! they are frightened I might influence their wives!! I have a few very close relationships with greek women and once you talk to them and realise what they have been through with old fashioned ideas and cultures etc you will understand them better, my sister in law was put into an arranged marriage and has turned out (unfortunately) to be a very jealous and spiteful woman, I think if she had of been given the choice she could have been a much nicer person, many greeks have problems that they will not speak of to “xeni” but once you get to know them they are very warm and loyal friends.

yumcha
    Participant
    Neophyte

themidnightspecial…lol..totally agree, but i am hoping that it’s only the athenians (i.e. half the population). only been here 6 years but the first few months on the islands had a completely different opinion.
    2nd pet peeve..smoking..especially seeing young well-dressed women smoking around pregnant women and babies. if people would open the windows when they lit up it wouldn’t be so bad, but of course fresh air is bad for you and the “breeze” will give you a “cold”.
    3rd..bins in the toilets for toilet paper. disgusting. but even young people seem to actually believe it is a better system than flushing the paper. when i think of the conversations i’ve had with people about this topic, i wind up thinking “is it me? am i stupid? was everything i learnt in oz rubbish?
    love the country but wish athens could be bulldozed and rebuilt from scratch. :) :)

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

This is like one of those questions you’ve always wondered about, but never dared to ask:

What is it with putting the toliet paper in the bucket? Why is it done like that? Does anyone know?

๐Ÿ˜ณ

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I was told because the drainage system would clog.

Hmm… there are so many ways this peeve can go and I’m not going to take it there in polite company.

GiH Admin

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

I think its another old hangover from gonebydays. Toilet paper used to block the sespits and clog the pors that the sespit has. Effectivly meaning the sespit stopped working and it had to be emptied. Now we have mains sewerage in most towns it really isnt necessary to use bins. On top of that toilet paper has changed and is now more biodegradable so doesnt hang around in pipes and sespits, it degrades quicker than it used to.

You can even put modern toilet paper in toilets that use sespits and they won’t need emptying any more than they do if you don’t.

My pet peeve: I can’t vote in national elections and therefore don’t have any say in how my tax money is spent.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

On the toilet (pun :D) question….. in the early days, the plumbers building houses and blocks of flats used to used undersize piping….. certainly quite a bit smaller than the piping used for the outlets in the UK… so being a smaller and narrower piping, it would easily block….. a similar problem to the one we have on many boats…. Combine that smaller pipe with inefficient cesspits and you have a very stinky problem…..

The solution for all you hard done by Athenians who don’t like the ‘bucket and chuck-it’….. move to a civilised city such as Kalamata! ๐Ÿ˜€

Somebody, earlier in this posting said that Athens should be pulled down and rebuilt over again…. that is exactly what happened in Kalamata….. after the big earthquake of 1986 all but leveled the town, they started from scratch…. they emptied the town of just about everybody they could and dug up all the main roads to lay a large new sewerage and drainage system and rebuilt the town to higher standards. So as blocks of flats and houses were rebuilt, they put in proper drainage and sewerage systems…. so now we have ‘real’ loos without buckets for the paper etc! and which never block up! ๐Ÿ˜€
    An added advantage is also that in ripping right out all the old drains and sewers and putting in new ones, they got rid of just about all the rats, cockroaches etc, so up to now, I have never seen a rat in Kalamata and seen no more than 1 or 2 cockroaches in all the time I have been coming here and am now living here.
    Eat your hearts out you Athenians – swimming around in your own filth – you may have the Indian and other decent restaurants and think that c
    ivilisation only exists in Athens, but we have real civilisation in the form of real toilets! ๐Ÿ˜† Sit on you blocked up loos and think about that! ๐Ÿ˜†

BostonChick
    Participant
    Neophyte

Yes! I agree about the toilet paper. It has to do with the pipes more than the cesspool thing. My dad is a contractor in the US and he says that the pipes connecting the toilet to the plumbing system are different than in the US, mainly something about an S-shaped pipe, they don’t use them here, and they should, blah blah.

And also another big YES to the smoking – (my ultimate pet peeve) forget about smoking around pregnant women, how about pregnant women smoking and believing that it’s ok!!! I have a Greek friend, her husband is an ob/gyn and when she was pregnant she smoked and drank (not a lot, but still) and she & dr husband believed that it was no big deal !!!

Regarding Greek women… I can’t say they’re ALL that bad. Yes we are on different wavelengths, but if you try to befriend them, I’d say more often than not they will at least try to reciprocate. It’s just a difference in culture, (as nikanne noted) not that they are all ‘positively treacherous’.

I agree with whoever said that it’s easier to meet people if you find a common interest; I can’t say I’ve clicked with many of my (Greek) husband’s friends’ wives; but I’ve met a lot of nice Greek women on my own through work.

Now, here’s another sort of off-topic, non-Greek pet peeve that I have to rant about: why can’t you ever get what you want at IKEA??????????!!!!!!!!!! Everytime I go, the things that I want are sold-out.
    โžก :(

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

@BostonChick wrote:

Now, here’s another sort of off-topic, non-Greek pet peeve that I have to rant about: why can’t you ever get what you want at IKEA??????????!!!!!!!!!! Everytime I go, the things that I want are sold-out. โžก :(

Just forget about the furniture and go for the crisps after the checkout. Half a dozen packets of those will see you content for the rest of the week. ๐Ÿ˜€

GiH Admin

BostonChick
    Participant
    Neophyte

Potato chips? They have potato chips??? Even the @#%*!! potato chips are sold out when I go there…. I must have the evil eye or something…

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

Glad its just not me. I hate ikea with a passion. As soon as I get there I look at the store map and realise theres no way out. I have to walk all around the store with only 1 short cut available to ‘escape’

I never went to ikea in the UK, I have only ever tried the one by Athens airport, but I assume the layout of the stores is simular the world over. ie you are forced to go around the whole store.

I tried for the second time ever last saturday. We did our home work and narrowed our choice of sofas down to 2 then headed to the store (2.70 toll as well just to get there). After 1/2 an hour fighting people to try and sit on the selected sofas we decided which one we wanted. My wife went to the info to ask about it….sold out ffs. I dumped my trolley and took the lift out. (luckly the sofas are at the start of the enforced shopping path)

why do they have on display good they don’t have?
      why is it different prices for the same sofa’s in different colours?
      why do they have to set a path for you to shop and not have isles like normal shops?
      why are all the other shoppers so rude and ignorant?
      how can anyone actually use these stores?

The trouble is neoset is twice the price, so what to do to get a sofa?

don’t go on a saturday
      don’t try to do it with an 18 month old in tow
      don’t expect service

Think i’ll spend my time working instead of going to ikea and employ a shopper to get my stuff.

Ikea….never ever again!

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

IKEA is a total nightmare, Scandinavian torture at it’s best: you think it’s good for you, but it’s really not. The only thing that keeps me going is the thought of a nice cheap snack at the canteen at the end. Swedish meatballs mmmmmmmmmm (just don’t tell me what’s in em ๐Ÿ˜† )

In the spirit of fairness, what do you think the Greeks’ pet peeves about us xeni are????????????????/

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

๐Ÿ˜†
    Mine is still ‘trying to do business’ that would include I suppose, also doing things like trying to get sofas, LOL
    Funny-A55, my MIL and her sister and some ladies went last saturday, and said the same thing as you!
    never again! ROFL
    they left thier baskets and came home! ๐Ÿ˜†
    it was priceless to see the look on thier faces!
    then, I thought, hmm, thanks guys for saving me the trouble- won’t be going THERE anytime soon!

Off subject a bit- but- I saw IKEA had drafting tables which I WAS going to go get one- but- not now, does anyone know where I can get such a thing here? a good quality one? (one that’s large and adjustable)?

We’re probably going to go to a small store here in the neighboorhood to get our sofa a store just opened that has some nice quality ones.

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

I had always assumed that the reason that we put toilet paper in the dustbin here is because the Greek plumbing system is different to the plumbing in the rest of Europe (and the world). So glad to hear that it is indeed the case because if what A55 was saying was true that the pipes / sewage system is basically the same as everywhere else, the pipes will NOT clog up if we all start putting toilet down them then that would be really annoying. Didnt know that you could put toilet paper down the toilet in Kalamata though, don’t they still have those notices up everywhere saying you can’t. Funnily enough this is not really a pet peeve of mine. It was something I found disgusting when I first came here on holiday years ago but something I just got used to pretty quickly as being “one of those things”.

IKEA. Hmm. Was irritated when buying furniture when things were out of stock but just had to phone up until they were. Still a lot less hassle than having to trawl up and down Poseidonos looking at furniture stores, which is what we did when we first settled here. At least everything is in one shop and the prices are good. Like you say when you compare with prices of, say, Neoset there’s no comparison. Wait till your little one is old enough to go to the paidotopo A55 then you’ll love it. We make an afternoon of it! Kid in paidotopo, general meander around store, then dinner, kids watch a bit of television in the restaurant area while we relax and have coffee and then off home!

My pet peeve of the day is the “daktylio” system of alternate days for odd and even numbered cars driving in the central area of Athens. For those of us who live just within the borders of the daktylio (central region of Athens which comprises quite a large area), this stupid idea that no government seem to have any intention of doing away with is a pain in the butt. We do not have and would not have an
    y intention of driving around Monastiraki or taking the car for coffee in Kolonaki but when we want to take our car and drive to Lidl/Carrefour or Glyfada (diladi – OUT OF THE CENTRE) we cannot if it is an even-numbered day because our car has an odd-numbered plate.

BostonChick
    Participant
    Neophyte

…after going to IKEA about three times and never finding what I want in stock…. I went online (using the US site), found the item number of the products I wanted and called IKEA – they’ll check the computer to see if the item you want is actually in stock. So save yourselves the trip and call before you go.

I’ve been calling for a month now… waiting for them to re-stock a bed and a bookcase… It’s really a pain but the @#$& thing only costs 150 euro, compared to what I wanted at Neoset which costs 600!! But you need nerves of steel to shop at IKEA!! I went once on a Monday morning thinking it would be dead – so wrong! It was just as mobbed as a Saturday. Insanity!

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

You could just do what most people do and that is own 2 cars. Rather defeats the object but solves the problem.

We live in the centre and have a residents permit so the odd/even doesn’t effect us. Or at least that was what we thought until we got stopped and told that the permit only cover certain hours. so between 10 am and 4 pm we can’t officially use the car. So at 3pm we have to sit on the border of the number zone and wait until 4pm to take our car to its garage. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ Taking that one to court will update you on the result.

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

I thought the periods of not being able to use the car (on the wrong day) were much more life-interfering than that A55 – like from 8am to 8pm.
    You are not eligible for one if you work in the daktylio and live outside it (I don’t think, but that’s fair enough I think).

Seeing as you live in daktylio and work outside it you should be eligible for this permit. What were you fined for exactly – circulating on the wrong day of the week?

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

resident permit; We were asked what times we needed to use it (the permit) so we said between 8 and 9 in the morning between 3 and 5 in the afternoon. So it has those times on it. (I did say to the misses why didn’t we say between 8 and 12 in the morning and 12 and 5 in the evening :)). We will see what the judge says monday. if we lose we only pay the fine so worth a try.

Ikea; I found a solution. Neoset have a stock house. We went there today. Its in Perissos. Right opposite the metro so easy to find. They have a limited selection of sofas, desks, dinning tables, dinning chairs, armchairs and bits and bobs. All with 40, 50 or 60% off. So they become Ikea prices but better quality. Got me a sofa now without Ikea aggrivation.

BostonChick
    Participant
    Neophyte

I’ve been to that stock house in Perissos. Yeah, it was OK but some of the stuff seemed to be damaged or second quality.

By the way…. I’m still waiting for IKEA to re-stock the item that I want… Errr….

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

resident permit; I don’t know the ins and outs but the judge awarded the case to my wife. so no fine to pay ๐Ÿ˜€

ps if you need a good lawyer………

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

Nice one A55!

I rarely put toilet paper in the bin, I’ve put bogroll down the toilet for 7 years in total and never seen any problems.

My pet peeve, can’t remember if I’ve said it, is when you get off the train/bus and people don’t let you out as they are trying to barge in first. That is probably the main thing that I don’t like about being in Greece – the general social etiquette verges on animalistic, selfish, egomaniacal stupidity.

I was on a bus on Leof. Kifissias and there were two lanes. There was a woman that just parked on one of the lanes and the bus driver was shouting at her quite rightly and what was her reply?

“/shrug/ meh, what can I do? I have to pick someone up here, it’s not my fault”

If I had a million euro I would have given it to the bus driver to drive over that woman’s car.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

congrats A55 nice to see someone coming out on top for a change!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

Do you think a book exists in Greece on the subject of social etiquette? I’d really like to write one. I know I would be absolutely slated for doing so, but it would certainly be contraversial and not a little overdue…….

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

Me again,

I spent the day yesterday with bf’s cousin. She’s a young Greek who’s lived there her whole life (until this year).
    She too hates the pushing and shoving and dog eat dog attitude. What do you think perpetuates this situation? Do you think the gentler Greeks are too tolerant of bad behaviour?

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

A55 – Wow am impressed. will definitely get your wife’s number if we ever need a lawyer. Remind me someday we must have a long and boring conversation about all the ins and outs of it – what you were fined for and how you got off (because we are probably in the 0.5% of forum members who this issue actually effects). And I am genuinely interested in hearing about it all (believe it or not ๐Ÿ˜ฎ )

Rurpled – I am totally shocked that you throw toilet paper down the toilet, do you not think that that verges on “selfish, egomaniacal stupidity”?!! What if you block up the toilet system for the entire neighbourhood? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Seriously though as regards pushing in and suchlike, I think there are a lot of people here who have yet to realise that it is not being ‘clever’ to get one over on everyone else in this manner. It is just being rather sad and makes the society as a whole more difficult for everyone to live in. Once everyone realises this fact then surely Greece will be a paradise on earth!

Chameleon
    Participant
    Neophyte

OK…so I haven’t read all the posts, but here are my 2 pet peeves right now: 1) Not getting paid! I have an old job that owes me 1 months salary and all I’ve heard is..”meta, meta..” Does anybody know what you can do about this? Going to court seems like a joke in Greece, the guy has since sold the place. All I have in my favor is the receipt when he last paid me. It writes that he still owes me 1 month’s salary. 2) How overpriced everything is. Other than rent (which I don’t have anymore, thank God) things are more expensive in Athens, at least, than in the USA! I remember going for coffee in Thisseio last year. A hot chocolate, a diplo elliniko, toast and a crepe…18 euros!!! Turkish wages, London prices!

solitaire
    Participant
    Neophyte

Noone seems to be able to make a decent cappuccino in Greece! And they roll their eyes at you for even ordering one lol My personal view is…if Greece gets cappucino drinking tourists and Im sure theres alot , then learn to bloody make one thats decent! I didnt even think of trying to get a ‘flat white’ ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜†

Store assistants that frown when u pick up or touch the store displays lolol I found that quite irritating ๐Ÿ˜ก

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

@solitaire wrote:

Noone seems to be able to make a decent cappuccino in Greece! And they roll their eyes at you for even ordering one lol My personal view is…if Greece gets cappucino drinking tourists and Im sure theres alot , then learn to bloody make one thats decent! I didnt even think of trying to get a ‘flat white’ ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜†

Store assistants that frown when u pick up or touch the store displays lolol I found that quite irritating ๐Ÿ˜ก

Nooo, I get really good cappucino and espresso round here. Almost as good as Italy and a damn site better than England.

Galliko is another matter.

GiH Admin

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

get great cappucino in Patra, if you are ever here I will treat you!!

Lizzie
    Participant
    Neophyte

I can think of loads of “peeves” about living in England but before I list them I shall have to think carefully first.

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

I did used to have a pet peeve. Most of my peeves are about the single Europe as apposed to Greece in particular. When I first came to Greece my bike was registered as a UK vehicle and I couldn’t get any insurance for it from Greece. I lived in the USA for a year and was able to get insurance there for it with British plates.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@yumcha wrote:

themidnightspecial…lol..totally agree, but i am hoping that it’s only the athenians (i.e. half the population). only been here 6 years but the first few months on the islands had a completely different opinion.

I spent my first few years living among the viscious snakes on Xios. They are worse than the Athenians…by far. I have no desire to visit any more islands or remote villages full of nasty inbreds. I’m sorry if that sounds harsh but I did not like those people at all. Athens is a bit better…but mainly because it is more cosmopolitan and there are more non-Greeks to talk with.

Oh, and I’m not sure you want to get me started on the women here. They scare me. They are so incredibly envious that I think it almost borders on mental illness. I can even feel the envy and the hatred ooze out of them. It’s horrible. Now, how they got this way is anyone’s guess. However, the fact of the matter is that they’re people to stay far away from. I absolutely refuse to “make company” with them ever again.

The men seem a bit better but that’s because I’m a woman…and they’re relating to me in a different way. I still don’t find them too charismatic though.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@nikanne wrote:

my sister in law was put into an arranged marriage and has turned out (unfortunately) to be a very jealous and spiteful woman

In my experience most of the women are jealous and spiteful. Their lives must be incredibly sad for them to be this way. Indeed, the do not look happy and you can see the frown lines that have been etched into their faces over the years. I had a friend visit me last year and it was the first thing she noticed…that they all looked “miserable”. That was her choice of word, “miserable”.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@BostonChick wrote:

Now, here’s another sort of off-topic, non-Greek pet peeve that I have to rant about: why can’t you ever get what you want at IKEA??????????!!!!!!!!!! Everytime I go, the things that I want are sold-out.
    โžก :(

That’s because they’re not doing something correctly there. Probably because they’re Greeks.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Rurpled wrote:

That is probably the main thing that I don’t like about being in Greece – the general social etiquette verges on animalistic, selfish, egomaniacal stupidity.

Exactly. That’s why I refuse to make excuses for them. They have not been brought up properly and that means that Greeks are terrible at raising children. Well, I’ve seen that myself…the way they induldge their children to excess…thereby creating these somewhat sociopathic ways of behaving.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Chameleon wrote:

OK…so I haven’t read all the posts, but here are my 2 pet peeves right now: 1) Not getting paid! I have an old job that owes me 1 months salary and all I’ve heard is..”meta, meta..” Does anybody know what you can do about this? Going to court seems like a joke in Greece, the guy has since sold the place. All I have in my favor is the receipt when he last paid me.

There isn’t anything you can do. The guy is a crook….like most of them. Yeah, I’ve seen your scenario many times in my 7 or so years here. These people are just plain thieves.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

@TheMidnightSpecial wrote:

@Rurpled wrote:
    That is probably the main thing that I don’t like about being in Greece – the general social etiquette verges on animalistic, selfish, egomaniacal stupidity.

Exactly. That’s why I refuse to make excuses for them. They have not been brought up properly and that means that Greeks are terrible at raising children. Well, I’ve seen that myself…the way they induldge their children to excess…thereby creating these somewhat sociopathic ways of behaving.

Er… you’ve obviously not seen the way English society is heading. At least you can walk past a group of Greek teenagers and not get abused!

GiH Admin

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

True sjs, I have rarely felt threatened in Greece, it’s the safest country I have been in.

Living in Glasgow and Dublin has given me a dont-f*ck-with-me face when I walk on the streets. I was broken into twice in Dublin and saw a great deal of fights (real fights, not the peacock pushing struggles you get here) there. The Accident and Emergency wards were a sight to behold (worthy of a night out if you want to be shocked – just pop over to the A&E for a couple of hours and it really makes you feel better for yourself!).

But here I don’t wear the angry face on the streets, there is no need. Until, of course, I get off the bus/metro..

Chameleon
    Participant
    Neophyte

@yumcha wrote:

Oh, and I’m not sure you want to get me started on the women here. They scare me. They are so incredibly envious that I think it almost borders on mental illness. I can even feel the envy and the hatred ooze out of them. It’s horrible. Now, how they got this way is anyone’s guess. However, the fact of the matter is that they’re people to stay far away from. I absolutely refuse to “make company” with them ever again.

The men seem a bit better but that’s because I’m a woman…and they’re relating to me in a different way. I still don’t find them too charismatic though.

I totally know what you mean about the women here. My mother, who is Greek and from Pangrati (but has lived in the states for the last 35 years), gets disgusted with the women out here. Last time she was visiting here she asked me what was wrong with the women? I was like..what do you mean? And she stuck her nose in the air and said they were all stuck up.

Another friend of mine was visiting me 2 years ago and she couldn’t understand why, not just the women, but couples when they go out for coffee or a drink look so miserable. And, it’s true. Next time you are out for coffee, look at the couples. I’m always happy when I see someone laughing, joking, having a good time. The women are totally jealous (I’ve been a waitress and they stare you up and down with their lips pursed) and the guys are either uninterested or living in fear, so they sit there with frowns and are rude as ever.

Another pet peeve? This was is not just for Greece, but Europe in general…I can’t stand that, once pe
    ople find out I’m American, they think I am personally responsible for Bush being president & the war in Iraq. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Midnight – while I agree that there seem to be quite a few women who go around with a permanent scowl on their face I always thought of this as a cultural difference. I think, in general, when you are in a big city it is difficult making new friends and the cultural differences make it all the more so. Maybe we cannot read the Greeks so well maybe because we didn’t grow up here and so do not understand their body language and subtle (!) nuances of behaviour the way we do people who are from our homelands. ๐Ÿ˜•

I cannot agree with you that all women here are totally spiteful and selfish – they mostly seem pretty warm and friendly to me in my husband’s family. Ok I have had issues with MIL over the years but who doesn’t. I know that of course there could be some backbiting going on but again, doesn’t that go on everywhere? On the surface I can’t really complain. (I haven’t got a SIL though, bet that would be a whole different ball game!) Interested to hear that you found the people worse on Hios? Why??

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

sjs – This topic is going all over the place – wish we could split it and generate some more threads!! After all as one guy whose blog I read said – blogs are for venting and I think forums tend to mainly be for that too. If venting throws up all sorts of interesting discussion I’m all for it! Yes, yes driving licences and shipping things over from England are all very well…but! Not exactly scintillating are they? Things seem a bit slow at the moment… :roll:

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Topics can be split here; this one would probably divide into about 5,000 different segments.

GiH Admin

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@sjs wrote:

Er… you’ve obviously not seen the way English society is heading. At least you can walk past a group of Greek teenagers and not get abused!

No, the Greeks will do other things to you…less noticable but just as harmful.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Chameleon wrote:

I totally know what you mean about the women here. My mother, who is Greek and from Pangrati (but has lived in the states for the last 35 years), gets disgusted with the women out here. Last time she was visiting here she asked me what was wrong with the women? I was like..what do you mean? And she stuck her nose in the air and said they were all stuck up.

Another friend of mine was visiting me 2 years ago and she couldn’t understand why, not just the women, but couples when they go out for coffee or a drink look so miserable. And, it’s true. Next time you are out for coffee, look at the couples. I’m always happy when I see someone laughing, joking, having a good time. The women are totally jealous (I’ve been a waitress and they stare you up and down with their lips pursed) and the guys are either uninterested or living in fear, so they sit there with frowns and are rude as ever.

Oh, I’ve seen incredible looks on their faces…incredible. Outright sneers directed at a blond Scandanavian friend of mine. Horrible.

I accidently bumped into one in Attica…said “Oh, I’m so sorry” in Greek and she looked me up and down, sneered and said something like, “Uh huh!!” I turned to this friend of mine and said, in English, “Will you get a load of this b****!” The guy she was with was standing there with his head down..looking very embarassed. Unbelievable.

Same thing happened to me about a month later in Monastiraki. I was walking and suddenly the woman in front of who was walking with her daughter stopped. I ran into the back of her (there were a lot of people out that day) and I said the same thing, “Oh, I’m so sorry” I got the same sneering response. This time I really let her have it in English. She answered me back in perfect English…telling me to “Go back where I came from” It got u
    gly after that….don’t want to repeat it here. The thing is….these very ugly incidents happened because I was trying to apologize!!! NOW, I do NOT apoligize to them at all. They must see it as an admission of guilt..giving them the right to verbally abuse you. Who taught them this? This is what thugs do in the States…and I want to emphasize that point. American who act this way are usually street thugs. You bump into them and they start in with the intimidating behavior. It shocks me that two well-dressed women would behave in this manner. No upbringing at all. God only knows what they teach their children.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

@sjs wrote:

Never happened to me. What do you mean?

PS can’t think of much that is just as harmful as getting beaten up for no reason.

GiH Admin

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

Midnight – while I agree that there seem to be quite a few women who go around with a permanent scowl on their face I always thought of this as a cultural difference. I read somewhere that to a Greek a smiling, open countenance marks you out as a bit of a fool to be taken advantage of.

Yes, rather sick isn’t it? That just shows you how cut-throat this society is.

These kind of saxophone-playing/base-ball-hat wearing/dodgy-shorts-wearing/grinning western leaders are just not impressive to them at all because they do not display gravitas and dignity to the Greek way of
    thinking.

But they are anything except dignified LOL That’s what makes me laugh. I’ve never seen a bunch of biger fakers in my life. They want to seem “serious” and dignified…yet they don’t even have a public library system. They are nothing but a bunch of dullards.

Interested to hear that you found the people worse on Hios? Why??

Just a bunch of very nasty, very stupid inbreds who all looked the same and had the same stupid name. I had trouble telling them apart from one another. Is that Nikos or Giorgos? Oh, he looks just like Nikos, who looks just like Giorgos, who looks just like Nikos. If you like that sort of thing, you’ll love Xios. I didn’t.

They were NOT hospitable. I’m very sorry to say this but in my 7 years here I have never found Greeks to be truly and sincerely hospitable. They will only do that if they think they can gain something from you. Their behavior is in no way genuine nor should it be construed as such. Many naive foreigners here make that mistake. The smiling Greek is smiing at you because he wants something from you.

]

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@sjs wrote:

@sjs wrote:

Never happened to me. What do you mean?

PS can’t think of much that is just as harmful as getting beaten up for no reason.

They will indeed steal from you…it just won’t be at gun or knife point…but you WILL lose money. They will lie to you much more often than I’ve ever seen Americans lie…and often for reasons that remain totally unknown. It seems that they just like to play people for suckers. I really believe that. It’s something that they’re taught growing up.

The thing is…in the US…you can avoid this by avoiding certain areas at night etc. In Greece, everyone has a mentality like this. Even the little old lady next door seems to be thinking of how she can cheat you. Yes, this is exactly what I’ve seen.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Hmmm…. I take it you’ve been ripped off?

Can’t say I’ve found that to be the case in general over here. Perhaps you’ve just been unlucky?

GiH Admin

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@sjs wrote:

Hmmm…. I take it you’ve been ripped off?

Can’t say I’ve found that to be the case in general over here. Perhaps you’ve just been unlucky?

I have been continually ripped off and so has my husband..who is Greek. It has been one long rip off as far as I’m concerned. He has been cheated out of wages owed…by the auto mechanic that he had known for 25 years…by people that he has known all his life. You name it…they’ll do it. They only have loyalty toward themselves…and they’re too stupid to understand the long-term consequences of their actions..which is very child-like in a way. Many of them don’t really seem like adults, more like spoiled children.

You are VERY lucky not to have experienced this. I’m really amazed actually because everyone else I’ve spoken to has experienced the same thing.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

You are VERY lucky not to have experienced this. I’m really amazed actually because everyone else I’ve spoken to has experienced the same thing.

Probably not luck. ๐Ÿ˜‰

GiH Admin

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

๐Ÿ˜†
    wow, Midnight- you are refreshing. Not everyone might agree with you, but it’s actually refreshing to hear someone just let it all out without holding back LOL
    And, although I don’t have enough time to even broach everything you wrote about, I do have to agree with you on many points, at least to a degree.

Anyway, my recent pet peeve, which is really causing problems for me right now is:
    CAR ALARMS! AGH!
    Some idiot accross the street who could at least use the parking garage if he isn’t going to turn off his alarm when it goes off is keeping me awake at all hours of night and morning. i am tempted to mix up a big batch of yogurt… and wash his windshield with it!!!
    and perhaps peanut butter under the doorhandles, LOL
    All this on what car?
    a stupid bmw with get this- (oh so tacky) a ‘spoiler’ on the boot(trunk) of the car. I mean, really.
    he’s probably one of those young Athenians who take themselves way too seriously, and has more beauty products in his bath than me. LOL
    GOD!
    ok, sorry HAD to rant a bit, feel slightly better, I think…
    until at 3 am or 6:30 in the morning it’s alarm time again for a half bloody hour!

THIS is not the ONLY thing right now causing me to loose sleep but the main one. I really HATE living in the city sometimes.
    ok, done
    ๐Ÿ˜‰

p.s. I wish some hooligan WOULD steal this guy’s car! then I wouldn’t have to listen to it at all hours anymore.
    ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Hey Midnight special…. I have definitely experienced exactly what you say…. only my experience has been with Brits, Australians and Americans…. in short, there are people who will rip you off for all they can in every country in the world…. Greece is no worse than any other, but I have found that the Americans, Australians and Brits to be the worse!

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@KalamataPaul wrote:

Hey Midnight special…. I have definitely experienced exactly what you say…. only my experience has been with Brits, Australians and Americans…. in short, there are people who will rip you off for all they can in every country in the world…. Greece is no worse than any other, but I have found that the Americans, Australians and Brits to be the worse!

ROFL Sorry Paul….can’t agree with you on that one. Greeks themselves even acknowledge that they are thieves and liars for the most part.

I’m also not a self-hating American. I was a little bit that way until I came here and saw how much worse it can be.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Jenn wrote:

๐Ÿ˜†
    wow, Midnight- you are refreshing. Not everyone might agree with you, but it’s actually refreshing to hear someone just let it all out without holding back LOL

Don’t worry about me holding anything back :) I did the polite thing for a long time. Now I just tell everyone what I think.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi Paul,
    What nationality are you? not trying to start anything, just curious- I thought you were from the UK. (don’t know why I thought that, I must have read one of your posts that made me think itor something).
    anyway, Just curious.

On this subject, briefly, I think a lot of this people ripping people off has to do with the year we live in, a bit at least. it seems many years ago people didn’t seem so eager to be out for themselves and thieves…
    it’s every country, true. but it seems more common now than ever-everywhere. Just have to be really careful.
    but, Midnight, I do think it is seen as acceptable here to rip people off- why I am not sure.

and, midnight- you are much better off just saying it as you see it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

While I do think that you have a kind of an “extreme” way of expressing yourself MidightSpecial, I too find it kind of refreshing!! Like Jenn, can see some of what your saying and cannot just deny it all out of hand.

You are not a plant are you generated to kick off a controversial discussion and see where it goes by saying the most outrageous things you can think of?!! Or maybe you are sjs in disguise (his alter ego kind of thing). Maybe there is a kind of split personality thing going on here (like in Fight club) where sjs needed to create an alternate personality to vent all his frustrations with Greek society and MidnightSpecial does not really exist at all!! (Did someone else make some reference to Fight Club on another thread or did I read that on another site?). OK, ok it’s been a long day. ๐Ÿ˜†

BostonChick
    Participant
    Neophyte

I have to write a quick reply (I’ll write more later regarding the other issues) but I have to comment on the bumping into people thing and saying sorry and being all apologetic and getting bitchy responses…. Listen to this story…. you will laugh out loud….

I was window shopping and some lady was standing next to me, also looking at the window when she moved and I did not see her, – she moved right next to me, but almost behind me, so when I turned to walk away, by mistake I just walked right into her and stepped on her toes. Now the funny thing is… I looked down and her toes were perfect – I think she had just had a pedicure. Her toes looked SO nice and were painted and sparkling and shiny and absolutely perfect. And like the last 2-3 toes… I had totally smudged them….they were all dusty from my foot mark…. Of course I apologized profusely and said “I didn’t even see you!” etc…. I thought she was gonna fall on the sidewalk and have a fit or something!! Inside though, I was laughing so hard, I was dieing – she was so mad she was sputtering and finally she spits out, all bitchy & looking me up and down of course, “JESUS Christ, why can’t you look where you’re going!!” I was surprised, at least she didn’t swear at me or say something worse. I kind of gave her a look and just walked away…. But I swear, at first I did feel bad but every time I think about it I have to chuckle to myself.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

@Domino wrote:

Or maybe you are sjs in disguise (his alter ego kind of thing). Maybe there is a kind of split personality thing going on here (like in Fight club) where sjs needed to create an alternate personality to vent all his frustrations with Greek society and MidnightSpecial does not really exist at all!!

Methinks you’ve been at the Christmas sherry a little earlier than usual.

GiH Admin

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

I think Midnight Special is trying to get her numbers up — so many postings ranting about the same thing :) .

Honestly MS, if this is not a joke and you’re really that unhappy with ALL the people around you, why are you there? I’m asking because I plan on making Greece my home and I hate to think I might someday feel that way about the place I plan to live out the rest of my days.

If you’ve been there for the past 7 yrs, possibly you don’t know how bad it’s gotten here in the States. I moved from So. Calif. to Memphis several years ago so that I could keep my son out of gang activity — he was twelve and being recruited! I thought it would be different here in Mphs but the crime gets worse and worse. Here, you are Afraid to look someone in the eye – you never know if someone might take offense and shoot you — or they may find out where you live and find you in the middle of the night. I know that here it is lack of education and the lack of wanting to pursue knowledge; the get-rich-now philosophy that results in a lot of drug and gang activity is rampant over here.

My son is in Greece now and has run into the rudeness that you speak of on several occasions, but he tells me that for the most part the people are wonderful, that after 1 month he has found friends that he feels closer to there than ever over here. He feels that the lack of speaking Greek causes him more problems than anything else. But didn’t you notice in the States how racial everything is? Mexicans or Asians or anyone not ‘white’ who don’t speak English very well are called all kinds of names and told to ‘go back home’. I think you’ve just run into a lot of people without a lot of tolerance for those different than themselves. I will take my son’s word for it that there are a lot of decent Greeks and that there are a lot o
    f positive aspects for living there.

Do you own your home there? If so, I will trade places with you — you can come and live in Memphis, TN where you must fear stopping for gas after dark, and I will move to Greece where I get rude remarks on my nationality. ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

BostonChick
    Participant
    Neophyte

OK I’m back.

Now I have time to write a proper comment about Midnight Special’s “pet peeve”….

I also wonder wonder why you are still living here if you really feel that way. And if you do feel that way then YOU are the miserable one, not the Greeks.

I’ve been here for 10 years and yes people can be rude and sour, esp strangers on the street and all that, but for the most part I don’t think Greeks are malicious people who are ready to screw you over at every opportunity.

And I don’t think that people walk around with miserable experssions on their faces. It is in part a cultural thing – in public Greeks are more serious, they don’t want to come off as being xazo-xaroumenoi (smiling idiots). But I wouldn’t call them miserable. I just came home from a night out in Kolonaki and I tell you, I was not surrouned by miserable-looking people. Quite the contrary.

For those of us who are ‘xenoi’ or Greek-American or whatever, yes in some regards it’s harder to forge friendships with Greeks, (and Greek women) there certainly are cultural differences. But you have to pick your friends selectively – and find friends who are like you (educated, worldly, etc)…

Obviously if you are living in a village (or island, or small town) it may be hard to find people who are on the same wavelength as you are.

Anyway, that’s my two cents.

Jenn
    Participant
    Neophyte

hey Mary- you know I’m in Athens, of course. Imagine a city this size over in the states…now, imagine walking to the grocery store at night, a woman alone… just not possible, is it?
    It is here. I go down to the carrefour at night when I need something, occassionally, and it’s usually dark, without fearing for my life. LOL
    funny, but, then again, NOT funny. I am very appreciative of things like this. it’s sad we can’t do this in the States anymore, but, it’s been dangerous for a long time now… I don’t miss that. not at all.
    I’m like you- I’ll take my chances with rudeness than getting shot at anyday! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Mary I am sure that you will not feel that way after a few years of living here! There are many positive aspects of life in Greece and I think they way out-balance the little gripes. Glad to hear that your son is so happy here. Did he find any kind of work yet? Interested to hear that he feels that he has better friends here than the States – already?!! That was quick wasn’t it? Was he born and brought up in the States or as he lived here before? Is this to do with the fact that he feels more “Greek” than he does “American” do you think?

I have to say that if I felt like MidnightSpecial about things over here I would be suicidal. I don’t think you can function happily in a society if you can really see no redeeming things about the culture whatsoever. There are good days and bad (grrr!) days but the good days way out number the bad ones. ๐Ÿ˜›

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

maybe the reason all the greeks look sourfaced is because you are too Midnight????? with that kind of hate in you you certainly cant be smiling. I get on buses here or go into shops and smile at people, you would be amazed how many smile back!! try it sometime, and as for nasty women, yes there are some here as I have said before, but they are in every country so dont put the greeks down too much ๐Ÿ˜€

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Domino wrote:

sjs – This topic is going all over the place – wish we could split it and generate some more threads!!

@Domino wrote:

Glad to hear that your son is so happy here. Did he find any kind of work yet? Interested to hear that he feels that he has better friends here than the States – already?!! That was quick wasn’t it? Was he born and brought up in the States or as he lived here before? Is this to do with the fact that he feels more “Greek” than he does “American” do you think?

The ironing is delicious..
    :)

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

Rurpled wrote:

The ironing is delicious..

Rurpled, is that a pet peave? ๐Ÿ˜†

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

Not at all, I love the inane ramblings of our local mad woman Domino!
    ๐Ÿ˜›

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

If I bump into someone in Greece, and I don’t think I’ve actually hurt them, I don’t appologise because it’s not expected. We appologise if we so much as touch a stranger (or even only almost walk into them) in the UK and I think we are appologising for invading that person’s personal space. In Greece, there is not the same concept of personal space and so no need to appologise.

On the subject of Greek women, there are some who seem to have a total sense of humour by-pass (you have to ask yourself why 1 in 7 Greeks – predominately men – are marrying foreigners). But, in their defensive, I think a lot are too caught up in the whole looks/status game, where one is eventually bound to lose by comparison, and so are very unhappy.

However, I am met some very nice Greek women. In fact, one of my bf’s aunties is one of the kindest people I have ever met: completely down-to-earth, self-sufficient and truly hospitable. He also has some wonderful female cousins.

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Rurpled wrote:

๐Ÿ˜›

But that’s “inane” and “mad” in a good way, right?!! ๐Ÿ˜ณ

T C
    Participant
    Neophyte

The reasons we have chosen to relocate to Greece,

The tales of injustice to the natives of my land
    The Political correctness is totally out of hand
    The migrant worker who claims tax credits for his kin
    but they are still in Eastern Europe
    and think they had a lottery win
    It really is enough to make you mad
    But when your taxes treble you know that you’ve been had
    There are many beautiful things that i will miss for sure
    But not a government hell bent on making me one of the poor
    Even with the rudeness that i never experienced and corruption that i hear is abound
    Give me good old Rhodes , im definately swapping the Euro for my once proud british pound

It sort of says it all when fathers have to fight to see their kids but mothers ‘live in lovers’ get slapped hands for killing them!!
    The world has gone mad im sure but britain is leading the way, rudeness is everywhere and having lived on 3 different continents i can say with conviction that Greece is nowhere near the top for this. Try getting out of Macy’s in New York without being trampled and shoved, try queing anywhere in Germany, try a train in Tokyo. Try any customer service line in UK and get rude, incoherant person from sub continet lying to convince you they are in the UK!! Believe me Greece is doing ok even if there are a few ‘snobby’ Athenian women its bearable because you get those everywhere too, just from different Citys

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

I might be a bit ‘green’ but can’t a person make a complaint to the Greek Department of Health/ Clinical Director of relevant hospital/ Nomarkia?

Perhaps everyone should be advised to carry dictaphones to hospital appointments to record any conversation in an effort to gather evidence.

Out of interest, how much money is one expected to put in the fakalaki and what does it buy you?

Sorry this is from page 1….only just saw it

If you stopped the envelope thing there would be no doctors. Surgeons don’t earn as much here as they do in the USA or even the UK. The envelope helps to top up their wages to something bordering on respectable.

Reporting them isn’t the answer, to pay them what they deserve is.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Domino wrote:

@Rurpled wrote:
    ๐Ÿ˜›

But that’s “inane” and “mad” in a good way, right?!! ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Of course baby :)

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

LOL Domino…no, I’m not a plant. That’s really how I feel.

BTW, my Greek husband just said that anyone who believes that the Greeks are more honest than the English, the Americans or the Australians must be a big “malakas”

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@BostonChick wrote:

Of course I apologized profusely and said “I didn’t even see you!” etc…. I thought she was gonna fall on the sidewalk and have a fit or something!! Inside though, I was laughing so hard, I was dieing – she was so mad she was sputtering and finally she spits out, all bitchy & looking me up and down of course, “JESUS Christ, why can’t you look where you’re going!!” .

Oh…NEVER apologize to them in a case like that. Just act like she didn’t exist. That’s what they would do to you.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Mary wrote:

Honestly MS, if this is not a joke and you’re really that unhappy with ALL the people around you, why are you there? I’m asking because I plan on making Greece my home and I hate to think I might someday feel that way about the place I plan to live out the rest of my days.

Mary, think very carefully about coming here. I can introduce you to many people who feel as I do. I have a Finnish friend who developed a severe case of irritable bowel syndrome after living here. Another Finnish woman who has been here for about 20 years….if a psychological wreck…very, very bitter. An Icelandic woman who lived here for 18 years told me, “Whatever you do, do NOT trust the women. They don’t know how to be friends. I left because Greece is not a place you’d want to grow old in.” These people all have the same thing to say about the Greeks and would laugh themselves silly at some of the naive comments here.

When you think of the relatively low violent crime rate…you need to realize what you’re going to get instead:

1. Regular people who will try to cheat you every chance they get.
    2. Bigots. Racism is endemic to Greek culture so prepare yourself.
    3. No public library system.
    4. Rote learning in the school system. Most public schools don’t even have libraries in them

…and that’s just for starters. In general, except for some ancient monuments that they don’t take very good care of…there’s a minimum of what you would call “culture” here. Most people over age 50 haven’t even graduated from high school. (THAT was per Kathimerini, a local paper)

Think about what it means for a country to have no pubilc library system. Poor people don’t read for one. It also means that..as I said…culture is at a minimum here. This is a place for sitting in the sun and sipping ouzo in a taverna somewhere. It’s NOT a place for settling down
    and making a home.

Go rent “Never On Sunday” and notice the naive English guy thinking that he’s going to find culture in modern Greece. That’s what most foreigners think they’re going to find here. Instead, they find a culture destroyed by 400 years under Ottoman (read…Islamic) rule. This is an Eastern country, not a Western one.

My son is in Greece now and has run into the rudeness that you speak of on several occasions, but he tells me that for the most part the people are wonderful, that after 1 month he has found friends that he feels closer to there than ever over here. He feels that the lack of speaking Greek causes him more problems than anything else.

See, he has only been here one month and he doesn’t speak Greek. Please, be careful judging this country based on only that. We all thought that when we first arrive. There was one exception though…my friend from Bogota. It took her three days to figure it out…the misery, the massive corruption etc. She hated it…said she had this ridiculous image of classical Greece in her mind.

But didn’t you notice in the States how racial everything is?

Wait til you get here and see how open and ACCEPTED racism is in Greece. Anti-semiism is alive and well here as well. There’s a guy on a TV station who sells “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion” on an hour long infomercial. You can buy that book everywhere here…and it’s often prominently displayed. So, I hope you’re not Jewish…because you wouldn’t want to be here if you are. If extreme, Islamic-style anti-semitism bothers you, don’t come here.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@nikanne wrote:

maybe the reason all the greeks look sourfaced is because you are too Midnight????? with that kind of hate in you you certainly cant be smiling. I get on buses here or go into shops and smile at people, you would be amazed how many smile back!! try it sometime, and as for nasty women, yes there are some here as I have said before, but they are in every country so dont put the greeks down too much ๐Ÿ˜€

I started out smiling and being friendly to everyone. I would go into a market somewhere and smile and say “Kalimera” to the person working there etc…and she would smile. The next day I would go back and say the same thing…and not get a response…just a stoney look. This happened a lot…in many different shops. I finally asked some foreigners about it and yes, they had experienced the same thing. To this day we cannot figure it out. Perhaps Greeks are not taught that you don’t show how miserable you are to everyone…and that if you’re having a bad day…and someone says “Kalimera” with a smile…you smile back. They’re egotists…and this is I think due in part to how they’re raised. Greek parents for the most part spoil their children to a ridiculous degree. The child later grows up to be a very selfish adult who has little regard for the feelings of others.

I told my husband about this discussion and here’s his opinion. (He has lived in both places..the US and Greece):

“Nobody who really understood how Greek society works would ever say that the Greeks are more honest than the Americans. Greeks are the biggest pustides in the world.”

LOL I have to agree.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@BostonChick wrote:

I also wonder wonder why you are still living here if you really feel that way. And if you do feel that way then YOU are the miserable one, not the Greeks.

I’m trying to get out of here…and yes, I am miserable. My weekly outing with friends consists of a bunch of foreign women who sit around and talk about the latest outrage. Well, misery loves company.

A few years ago I met an American woman who had just married a Greek man. They moved to Athens and were in the process of getting settled when I met her. She asked me about a few things and I told her the truth. She didn’t want to talk to me after that because I was too “negative” and she really wanted to “adapt to the Greek culture”…something she obviously thought I wasn’t doing. Well, she’s gone now…back to the US. You have to be very tough to make it here..and have a very thick skin. She was all bouncy and smiley about everything…thinking it was going to oh, so much better than the States….hopelessly naive in other words..

Chameleon
    Participant
    Neophyte

OK…I have to agree with MidnightSpecial here. Not about the whole “malakas” thing, but you completely get ripped off by Greeks….and the Greeks that I know will be the first to tell you. Just recently we had gates put up on or mezonettes (condos) and I wasn’t sure if my uncle had paid a deposit to the guy. The guy handed me the receipt and when I asked him if the deposit was included he said no, that was what I had to pay. I could tell he was lying because he was gazing at me trying to read my reaction. Sure enough I went home and found the original paper with all the numbers. The deposit? 700รขโ€šยฌ. This guy really tried to get away with 700รขโ€šยฌ!! If he hadn’t put in the gates already I would have asked for my money back.

I have another thing. Has anybody else noticed that salesmen/women do not care about their jobs? I guess they don’t need to since nobody seems to fire out here. Anyway, I remember going to an exhibition with some friends for their restaurant. They wanted to put in a new kitchen. So we went to one company that had good prices. The lady acted like she didn’t want to sell us the stove…and when her cell phone rang she picked it up and left us there. No “Excuse me.” Nothing. So we went across to another lady whose stoves were ridiculously expensive. When we asked her ‘what was the difference in the stoves, why were hers more expensive?’ I wanted her to sell me her product. Give me some reason, dangit! Do you know what she said? “How much are their stoves? Oh, go over there. They have better prices!” We couldn’t stop laughing for 10 minutes.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I’m going to set up a stall selling Rose Tinted Spectacles to ex-pats and make an absolute fortune.

GiH Admin

Chameleon
    Participant
    Neophyte

OK, I’m not trying to be argumentative here, but I keep on reading posts like “why do you live here if you are so unhappy?” and how much better it is in Greece than in other parts of the world, etc.

Isn’t this a pet peeves forum? It’s not like we are in the food or culture section complaining about our ‘pet peeve.’ I thought this was a time to vent. How about starting another topic..say…things we love about Greece. At least, then, it would be more justified when someone starts their Greek bashing.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Wooo Midnight! I’m all worn out just reading your postings! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
    I’m totally exhausted and you certainly gave me lots of food for thought!

You really know how to lay it on thick and dark… perhaps that’s the reason for your chosen identity ‘midnight’? ๐Ÿ˜€ You very nearly had me yearning for the UK again…. I even got so far as to sit there toasting Her Royal Majesty at least 25 times as I read (being ex-Royal Navy, we are allowed to sit during the toast to H.M. by special dispensation – whereas all the other plebs have to stand) and humming ‘God Save The Queen’…. however, just as I got to the point where I caught myself striking up the first chords of ‘Land of Hope and Glory’ & thinking of following it with a few verses of ‘And did those feet in Ancient Times?’ (because I only know a couple of verses), I managed to pull myself back from the edge and force myself to humm a note or two of the Greek National Anthem (because I can only remember a note or two and don’t know the words) and toasted Greece and the Greek President, Costas as few times… I even stood for that, as I wasn’t sure if my special dispensation to sit during toasts was transferable to Greece!…… Then, all overcome with confused emotion and with thoughts of love welling up in my bosom for my adopted country, I had to sit down again (more because of all those toasts than anything else) and began to wonder how we could have such disparate views on the same country…. Now let me tell you for nothing that it took more than a few toasts to work THAT out! But I got there in the end! Hallelujah! So, after exhaustive research, I have it figured out! :D />

When you left the USA to come to Greece, remember when you were at the airport, how you accidentally ran your baggage trolley into a pillar? Well, that made you enter the ‘hogwartish type’ special air terminal which got you onto a plane in some parallel universe and you ended up flying to the anti-Greece within that universe, where everything is out of kilter (no pun intended to Nikanne and our other Scottish friends) in comparison with the ‘normal/alternative’ universe, where you thought you were, (though who is to say which is the ‘normal’ one). Didn’t the air-stewards strike you as a bit unusual at the time? Perhaps you didn’t notice as they generally seem unusual anyway! ๐Ÿ˜€ Well…. sorry, mustn’t get sidetracked from reporting on the results of my research by thoughts of air-stewards waiting on me hand and foot and bringing me endless glasses of champers and canapรƒยฉs…. sorry, I’m back…. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    SO…… there you are now, stuck in this parallel universe of anti-Greece, totally unaware that you are somewhere different, but able to communicate with the other universe via electronic means and when you speak of your experiences and we speak of ours, you are not wrong and we are not wrong, because we are each communicating what is happening in our separate parallel universes, but were I to be foolish enough to go from Kalamata to Athens for a walk in Omonia Square and passed you on the square, we would not see each other…. we would both be in the same place at the same time, but with different experiences of the same thing! Isn’t that good news? Neither we nor you need to pay for therapy after all!

Now for the bad news…. unfortunately, until Scotty works out how to beam you back, you are stuck there to suffer in anti-Greece for the time.

But cheer up, at least we
    all understand the situation now (thanks to my brilliant research – with a tiny bit of input from Harry Potter & Captain Kirk) and can make exceptions for each other’s views until Scotty gets his act together or perhaps Harry can remember what the words are for the ‘release’ spell….. and meanwhile we can all enjoy insights into each others universes and share them electronically through this medium!

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

sorry to disagree midnight, but both my husband and I think that the greeks are much more honest than the Americans and I can endure you we are neither “malakes” or “poustides”!! I just wonder how good your greek is?

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Wait til you get here and see how open and ACCEPTED racism is in Greece. Anti-semiism is alive and well here as well. There’s a guy on a TV station who sells “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion” on an hour long infomercial. You can buy that book everywhere here…and it’s often prominently displayed. So, I hope you’re not Jewish…because you wouldn’t want to be here if you are. If extreme, Islamic-style anti-semitism bothers you, don’t come here.

Now that is something I do agree with MidnightSpecial. Racism is accepted here. (And before you all say “racism exists everywhere” or some such platitude. Aagh!! We are talking about Greece. And the Greek brand of racism. We are not saying that it does not exist anywhere else!!) Completely ordinary people will make all sorts of accusations against the Albanians and talk of them having “no culture”. As if they have a patent or something on the concept of what culture is. Every 25th March we get the usual stories from all over Greece of parents and students making huge protests, threatening to boycott the parade etc. etc. because of the flag being carried by an Albanian (the best student has to carry the flag). These are normal, ordinary people, not the BNP. And they have no shame and think it’s acceptable to go on like that!!

I always feel slightly queasy when people start saying things like “political correctness” has gone mad in Britain. When you live in a place where the concept of political correctness does not exist, I er.. actually wouldn’t mind a bit of political correctness to be quite honest. I mean without political correctness there would be many aspects of life in Britain that would be a lot worse. Children working as chimney sweeps. No free education for all. No NHS. Equal Opportunities out the window. I certainly wouldn’t wan
    t it back to the old days (before my time, fortunately) when guest houses would have notices up in their windows saying “No blacks, No Irish and No dogs”. Here it seems the minute there is an altercation or an issue (and you are a foreigner) the first words to come out are “get back to where you came from”. For a nation with half the population outside of the country living as immigrants I find this attitude to be staggering. Rant over.

T & C – yes you are right a few snobby Athenians does not ruin my whole life! If they did I would be one unhappy person. The quality of life in Greece way outbalances all these issues for me. Good poem by the way! You mentioned that you wanted an IKEA on another thread. I suggest you make a trip to Athens, go to IKEA and get it all delivered (think they deliver all over Greece do they not?). The money you will save by buying from them will more than offset the costs of delivery. Just ring to make sure they’ve got what you want first!!! :)

Rurpled – actually I don’t think there is a good way to be inane is there? Walks off in a huff.

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ah, I was just messing Domino!

I agree about the racism remarks. The extreme racism has migrated slightly towards the Pakistani population from the Albanians but it is severe in some cases. It ranges from basic fear of foreigners to the usual dislike/hatred for no apparent reason. It’s quite a shame as Greeks have travelled the world and planted their seeds in other countries so it’s weird to have such a backlash in this way.

I guess it’s like this in places with a high amount of immigration. Ireland is a bit like that with Romanians and Polish people (especially when they went through the booming Celtic Tiger) but I really think that the hatred factor is higher here.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

Rurpled do you not think that a lot might have to do with religion as well? with greece being mainly orthodox they tend to be wary of any one with a differnt religion and if they are non cristians that is even worse!! the older people especially are against this and then pass it down to the children. I ahd a huge argument about this with M in Law and even though I pointed out that Jesus was a jew she just changed the subject!! With the greeks being under the Turks for so many hundreds of years I think they have definately got a complex about immigrants, although I must admit I find it strange myself when I walk through Omonia and don’t hear any Greek!!Going back to the UK I would like to ask any one here from the UK if they are happy with the amount of immigrants Tony Blair has let in and is still doing so?? I don’t think many will agree and although they are not openly racist I am sure it is at the back of all their minds. It is not against one race or religion it is just that people don’t want to feel like strangers in their own country!!

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Chameleon wrote:

OK…I have to agree with MidnightSpecial here. Not about the whole “malakas” thing, but you completely get ripped off by Greeks….and the Greeks that I know will be the first to tell you. Just recently we had gates put up on or mezonettes (condos) and I wasn’t sure if my uncle had paid a deposit to the guy. The guy handed me the receipt and when I asked him if the deposit was included he said no, that was what I had to pay. I could tell he was lying because he was gazing at me trying to read my reaction. Sure enough I went home and found the original paper with all the numbers. The deposit? 700รขโ€šยฌ. This guy really tried to get away with 700รขโ€šยฌ!!

I have a story to tell that’s very similar. My husband took the car in to get fixed. It needed a major repair job…which the guy told him would cost $750. When we went to pick the car up he tells my husband $1500. I watched his facial expression and I knew that he was pulling something funny. Remember, this is a guy that my husband had been going to for 25 years. They were always very friendly with one another and my husband trusted him. Big mistake. As soon as I heard that “$1500″ I told my husband in English, “No, don’t pay him.” The guy wouldn’t look my husband in the eye and you could just see that he was guilty. Well, my husband told him, “OK, here’s $750. I’ll give you the rest next week.” Of course, we never paid him the rest….and we never went back there. He never called to ask for the money…because he knew what he did. He lost a customer of 25 years…just to try to steal a little money. That’s the way they are here.

The funny thing here was..my husband had called this guy a number of times to ask about the progress of the car. Each time he said that everything was going along fine. When I was standing there listening to hi
    m tell his BS story I said to my husband, “Ask him why he didn’t tell you on the phone that it was going to be double teh price” My husband asked him and his answer was unbelievable, “You didn’t ask me”. When I heard that I said “Mother f*****r” out loud to him.

That guy wanted to pocket your $700.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@nikanne wrote:

sorry to disagree midnight, but both my husband and I think that the greeks are much more honest than the Americans and I can endure you we are neither “malakes” or “poustides”!! I just wonder how good your greek is?

Why do you ask about my Greek? Are you of Greek descent?

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Rurpled wrote:

I agree about the racism remarks. The extreme racism has migrated slightly towards the Pakistani population from the Albanians but it is severe in some cases. It ranges from basic fear of foreigners to the usual dislike/hatred for no apparent reason. It’s quite a shame as Greeks have travelled the world and planted their seeds in other countries so it’s weird to have such a backlash in this way.

Racism is very prevalent…and unlike the States or the UK…it’s accepted here…so anyone thinking of moving here needs to get ready for it. If you complain you WILL be told where to stick it.

I have several Albanian friends here and all of them have treated me very well. The ones I know are hardworking people trying to make a better life for themselves. Unfortunately, I’ve also seen the horrible treatment they have received from the Greeks.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

no Midnight I am not of greek descent, I just dont think it is very nice to categorise and call people such names.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@nikanne wrote:

I ahd a huge argument about this with M in Law and even though I pointed out that Jesus was a jew she just changed the subject!!

Many Greeks will argue that Jesus was a Greek, really. They hate the Jews so much that they can’t accept the fact that Jesus was a Jew. I have the religion text for the 2nd Lykeiou here. The title is “Xpistianismos kai Thriskeumata” or “Christianity and Religions”. Nowhere in this book…which speaks of both Christianity and Judaism…does it mention the fact that Jesus was a Jew.

What you see here a lot is the old heresy of Marcionism. Marcion argued that the Old Testament God was not the same as the New Testament God…and this is what many Greeks have told me. This really isn’t surprising because the wife of one Greek-American man told me that her husband couldn’t believe the amount of Jew-bashing that went on in the churches here. They had lived for 18 years in Saudi Arabia and she said that her husband’s comment upon moving here was, “They just like the arabs!” Yep…very close.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@nikanne wrote:

no Midnight I am not of greek descent, I just dont think it is very nice to categorise and call people such names.

Well, I’ve lived here for 7 years and I speak Greek quite well. I read the paper here without a problem…I’m able to watch TV here without a problem…and I conduct all of my business here in Greek. I think I know this country and its people quite well.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

@Rurpled wrote:

Racism is very prevalent…and unlike the States or the UK…it’s accepted here…so anyone thinking of moving here needs to get ready for it. If you complain you WILL be told where to stick it.

I have several Albanian friends here and all of them have treated me very well. The ones I know are hardworking people trying to make a better life for themselves. Unfortunately, I’ve also seen the horrible treatment they have received from the Greeks.

Racism is essentially blindly and without distinction assigning negative characteristics to a group of people different from oneself in colour or nationality, etc.

Similar, in fact, to the way in which you are characterising Greeks as liars and cheats.

Pot, kettle, black, etc.

GiH Admin

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@KalamataPaul wrote:

Wooo Midnight! I’m all worn out just reading your postings!

See Paul….do you know what I do when I want to get away and relax? I go to London LOL I never thought I’d say that…but yes, that’s what I do. My dream right now is to leave Greece, find a nice British guy (Do you know any?) and live the rest of my life on…oh, I don’t know…some kind of sheep farm in Dorset. I don’t hate my husband….I get along with him fine…it’s this place. I’m going to have to leave him because of this place…and his job will keep him here and unable to leave.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

I don’t see what I’m doing as racisim sjs….since I’m basing it on everything I’ve experienced. When I came here I was a clean slate as far as the Greeks go.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

wait till you have been here over 20 years midnight and then come back and talk although i don’t think you will last that long, poor husband, have you told him yet??

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I don’t see what I’m doing as racisim sjs….since I’m basing it on everything I’ve experienced. When I came here I was a clean slate as far as the Greeks go.

Very simply put, you’ve had problems with SOME Greeks and are now characterising ALL Greeks as having those same characteristics.

You’ve said:

These people are just plain thieves.

That just shows you how cut-throat this society is.

[the people of Xios are] Just a bunch of very nasty, very stupid inbreds who all looked the same and had the same stupid name.

Now how would you feel if we said:

Americans are just plain thieves.

That just shows you how cut-throat American society is.

Americans are just a bunch of very nasty, very stupid inbreds.

In other words, MS, you are being as racist and as ignorant as your own perception of the people you are attacking.

GiH Admin

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

Midnight wrote

BTW, my Greek husband just said that anyone who believes that the Greeks are more honest than the English, the Americans or the Australians must be a big “malakas”

actually I have just gone off your husband too so can I tell him you are leaving???

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

That’s all I’ve experienced sjs. After 7 years of one fiasco after another involving some backstabbing, greedy, dishonest Greek…I’ve had enough of them. They can keep their “culture”. I’m not impressed.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

That’s all I’ve experienced sjs. After 7 years of one fiasco after another involving some backstabbing, greedy, dishonest Greek…I’ve had enough of them. They can keep their “culture”. I’m not impressed.

You obviously spend far too much time in the less pleasant end of society here.

Well, enough said I think. Glad I won’t be in England when you move there. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

GiH Admin

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@nikanne wrote:

wait till you have been here over 20 years midnight and then come back and talk although i don’t think you will last that long, poor husband, have you told him yet??

So my 7 years just isn’t enough time is it? :) I’ve seen the people who have been here for twenty years and it isn’t pretty.

My husband can take care of himself. I have to save my own life..and there isn’t a chance of a life here for me. I would like to have children for example…and I absolutely refuse to do that here. If you’re wealthy here…great. If you’re not…and we’re not…it’s hell on earth. I wouldn’t be able to offer anything to my children here.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

hope you go soon then we won’t have to listen to you putting the greeks down any more. After all you husband is one too so more fool him!!

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

oh come on dear now you are getting hysterical, there are thoussands of us who have lived here for more than 20 years and raised children on as ordinary salary and we are all quite healthy and sane thank you very much. please go back under the rock you crawled out from ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@sjs wrote:

Yes, I have. I haven’t been up in Kifissia rubbing elbows with embassy people. I’ve been down in the working class neighborhoods of Athens…dealing with living on a Greek salary that you PRAY you will get from your employer. I’ve seen how the working class here lives and it’s not pretty.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@nikanne wrote:

hope you go soon then we won’t have to listen to you putting the greeks down any more. After all you husband is one too so more fool him!!

Oh poor baby…someone insulted your adopted country that you think is so perfect LOL

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

boo hoo, well i am off to go the shops with my working class salary and spend it!!!! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@nikanne wrote:

oh come on dear now you are getting hysterical, there are thoussands of us who have lived here for more than 20 years and raised children on as ordinary salary and we are all quite healthy and sane thank you very much. please go back under the rock you crawled out from ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

You have obviously been drinking the Greek Kool-Aid. That’s OK Nikanne, you can keep the short, ugly inbreds that all look alike. Have you ever noticed how many women here have these big ugly warts all over their faces? Inbreeding.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

@sjs wrote:

Yes, I have. I haven’t been up in Kifissia rubbing elbows with embassy people. I’ve been down in the working class neighborhoods of Athens…dealing with living on a Greek salary that you PRAY you will get from your employer. I’ve seen how the working class here lives and it’s not pretty.

Here’s an interesting fact. Take a look at these levels of child poverty:

Greece: 12.4
    UK: 15.4
    USA: 21.9

That’s UNICEF speaking, not some neurotic ex-pat with a chip on her shoulder who thinks that being working class is some kind of badge of honour.

Spare me…

GiH Admin

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Ok, if there’s any more personal insults I’m going to start banning people* and deleting posts.

You have been warned! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

*including myself of course :mozilla_undecided:

GiH Admin

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

Sorry sjs,

If you’re poor in the States you have a chance. If you’re poor in Greece, you don’t.

I don’t think being working class is some kind of honor. It’s just that I’ve met some ex-pats here who think everything is great here…and then I find out that they have money from the States that they’re living on…the don’t speak Greek and only run in ex-pat circles etc. These people don’t know what living and trying to survive here is like.

Why do you think I’m “neurotic” simply because I don’t like it here?

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Sorry sjs,

Apology accepted.

If you’re poor in the States you have a chance. If you’re poor in Greece, you don’t.

I don’t think 17% of the Population of the US would agree with you.

I don’t think being working class is some kind of honor. It’s just that I’ve met some ex-pats here who think everything is great here…and then I find out that they have money from the States that they’re living on…the don’t speak Greek and only run in ex-pat circles etc. These people don’t know what living and trying to survive here is like.

So on the one hand you say the poor must work hard to get out of their poverty and in the US it’s easier than here. Then you criticise those same people because they’re living a better life than you.

Hmmmm….

Why do you think I’m “neurotic” simply because I don’t like it here?

Because you lack logic in your arguments. You criticise the Greeks for acting in a way you yourself are acting.

GiH Admin

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

Midnight, sweetheart, I think if you really think you’d be better off in the UK, you should go. There is nothing to be gained by delaying. Life is short.

Having lived in Greece and the UK (and going back to Greece in a matter of weeks), I would honestly say life is easier in the UK. You have greater rights and protection as an ordinary citizen (especially as a foreigner) and money is much easier to come by. However, I don’t think you can directly compare working class life in Athens with living on a sheep farm in Dorset. Last time I checked, sheep farms in Dorset cost millions; be warned, life in the UK is not like something out of ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’, believe me, if you are working class it can be much more like ‘Trainspotting’.

That said, I do think life in the UK would suit you better. Out of interest, why don’t you want to go back to the States?

I have to agree with you on the subject of racism. It is endemic in Greece. My bf used to be very prejudiced against Albanians, Jews and Homosexuals. Partly due to my constant nagging and partly due to life experience, he has since found that he likes many individuals who could be labelling in this way. He says, ‘Life presents you with that you hate’. Nikanne, is this a Greek saying? I think he means, ‘Life shows you your prejudices are unfounded’.

By the way, do you read Kathimerini? You will find that many Greeks share many of your opinions about Greece and would very much like to improve the Greek situation.

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

Can I add on the subject of racism in Greece, that many ex-pats also share these same racist attitudes…….

Oh well, maybe it’s just the human condition..

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

Yes, I’m aware of that. That 17% can’t see the opportunities.

So on the one hand you say the poor must work hard to get out of their poverty and in the US it’s easier than here. Then you criticise those same people because they’re living a better life than you.

I’m not sure whom you think I’m criticizing and why you think I’m being illogical. My point is that hard work and talent in Greece will get you nowhere in a hurry. You make it in Greece not via hard work and merit..but based on whom you know. It’s a society run via patronage and nepotism, not just in the “high” positions, but everywhere. Even simple positions at the post office work that way. Want to work for Olympic Airlines? Whom do you know that can help you? That’s the way it works here for the most part. That’s why there’s so much incompetence.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Yes, I’m aware of that. That 17% can’t see the opportunities.

I’m not sure whom you think I’m criticizing and why you think I’m being illogical. My point is that hard work and talent in Greece will get you nowhere in a hurry. You make it in Greece not via hard work and merit..but based on whom you know. It’s a society run via patronage and nepotism, not just in the “high” positions, but everywhere. Even simple positions at the post office work that way. Want to work for Olympic Airlines? Whom do you know that can help you? That’s the way it works here for the most part. That’s why there’s so much incompetence.

The Bush family.

It happens everywhere, dear.

GiH Admin

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

Just out of interest, us ex-pats find fault in other places to. Here’s a thread about Italy. Sounds strangely familiar

http://www.expatfocus.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3087

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

By the way, do you read Kathimerini? You will find that many Greeks share many of your opinions about Greece and would very much like to improve the Greek situation.

I’m aware of that. Believe me, I have said everything I’ve said here…to some Greeks that I know. They agree with me. I know that life elswhere isn’t a paradise…but I find the general instability here to be very stressful. Not knowing if your boss is going to pay you…not only on time..but at all…is extremely agonizing. If he doesn’t there might not be anything that you can do because you’re working for him under the table…without stamps. Don’t like that situation? Tough. That’s all there is. It’s a combination of many things…a very bad economy, no protection via laws, a generally cut-throat society etc. Of course, people have to be cut-throat here because nothing here is on the up and up. It’s kill or be killed.

I know…I’ve read many articles written by Greeks that say exactly what I’m saying. Unfortunately, a few people aren’t making a difference. Corruption, bureaucracy, extreme ethno-centrism, racism… is endemic here and it’s going to take years to change it.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

The Bush family.

No, what happens here most certainly does not happen in the US. That’s why I made a special point to mention that this sort of thing happens at all levels of the economy. A lowly postal worker in the US does not have to rely on connections to land himself a job. That’s not the way it works here. Surely you must know that.

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

Quote from Kathimerini in English today:

COMMENTARIES

Lawlessness at our universities
    Now weรขโ‚ฌโ„ขve really seen it all. A group of students yesterday dragged the vice dean of Democritus Universityรขโ‚ฌโ„ขs faculty in Xanthi out of his office and then bricked up the entrance. And this happened in front of television crews which, evidently, had been invited by the students so that their fascist and unprovoked violence could be immortalized.

Our universities have been transformed into zones of lawlessness. By means of apparently democratic procedures, a small group of student patrons impose their own law. And whoever resists must pay for their boldness.

The wall of shame built at Democritus University is not the first of its kind รขโ‚ฌโ€œ but it must be the last. The right to protest should be respected. But the unlawful violation of the rights of other citizens รขโ‚ฌโ€œ in the name of protest รขโ‚ฌโ€œ is simply illegal.

This illicit practice remains unpunished due to an anachronistic law regarding university immunity which restricts police from entering university grounds. But this law does not protect freedom of thought, it restricts it.

The question now is how the political system will react to this lawlessness. Will it tolerate it or will it allow citizens, professors and deans to do their jobs without fearing the actions of thugs?

Hefty fines for quarry firms
    The Environment Ministry yesterday fined two quarrying firms a total of 2 million euros for violating environmental laws in the largest penalty imposed for this type of violation.

Environment Minister Giorgos Souflias said that a prosecutor will also be appointed to investigate the alleged illegal operation of the two quarries east of Athens.

รขโ‚ฌล“These firms operate without environmental licenses and in violation of a Council of State de
    cision. Their activities are causing serious health problems to residents in the broader area and destroying the environment,รขโ‚ฌย the minister said.

The two quarrying companies รขโ‚ฌโ€œ Markopoulou Latomeia and Stavrou Latomeia รขโ‚ฌโ€œ have been allegedly digging in the area illegally for the last 40 years.

Does this sound like noone is doing anything? A few years ago these kind of subjects would just be shrugged off in Greece. A lot of people are waking up, raising their expectations and demanding order and civility in their society.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

The Bush family.

No, what happens here most certainly does not happen in the US. That’s why I made a special point to mention that this sort of thing happens at all levels of the economy. A lowly postal worker in the US does not have to rely on connections to land himself a job. That’s not the way it works here. Surely you must know that.

A lowly postal worker in the US will lose his job and go on a killing spree. A lowly postal worker in Greece will lose his job and shout a bit.

Hmm. I can see your point.

GiH Admin

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

The Midnightspecial said

I don’t agree with this at all, most of the ex pats I know live on what their husbands earn as ordinary workers and speak greek fluently, there is not a huge ex pat community here and weven if there wa I wouldn’t run in teir circles just because they are ex pats. I have a full circle of greek, english, italian, swiss and even Anerican friends who luckily don’t think like you seem to think ex pats should!!!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Captain!!! It’s worse than I originally imagined!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
    The vortex around the parallel universe has supercharged through all the transmissions going on between the universes and it has not only got Mrs midnight, but now it’s sucking in some of the crew on the other side as well and causing everyone’s brains to go to mush! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ Eventually everybody will slowly have more of themselves sucked across but they don’t even realise they are being sucked in!

Unless Scotty can get the beamer upperer transporter fixed and get midnight pulled back, the imbalance of the universes she is causing by being there will aesophogate the vortex and cause an implosion in the Matter-Antimatter Power Generator which risks having both the universes meet and collide at the centre of the black hole vortex which is building around the transmissions being passed between the two universes!

WHAT DO WE DO CAPTAIN???!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ :crybaby: :crybaby: :shock:<br />
” title=”Shocked” /><!-- s:shock: --></p>

</div><!-- .bbp-reply-content -->

</div><!-- .reply -->
</li>
<li>

<div id=

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

wondered where you had got to Captain Paul, can you save us from this alien intrusion ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

Honestly, I’m in the US and I would love to have been able to land a job as a postal worker — they’re paid pretty good money! But if you think you can just up and get a good paying job in the States, you are sorely mistaken! It is definitely a ‘who you know’ situation for anything but the lowest paid jobs. Anymore, you can’t even get a job at McDonalds without knowing the manager. A big reason for that, at least here in Mphs, is because the people here don’t want to work – AT ALL! Companies no longer trust hiring anyone they don’t already know something about. It really borders on ridiculous how the people over here think that an 8 hr shift should include no more that 2 hrs of work – and if a company tries to get rid of a bad employee, they’re likely to be taken to court for discrimination. Yes, ‘we the people’ have more power over here, but what do we do but get lazy and expect special treatment (spoiled?) LOL.

Midnight, I’ve read all your post and I have to wonder if you might be going through early menopause? It can hit at any time from your late 20’s on — and believe me, it will make you hate everything and everyone around you. It makes you feel the the problem is everything but you. I understand that even in Greece, you can get medication to take care of your severe depression caused by the pre-menopausal hormonal imbalance that you are most certainly encountering. Before you do harm to that husband of yours, you might want to have it checked out. Seriously, I’ve been through it at a very young age, so feel free to PM me if you want someone to talk to.

BostonChick
    Participant
    Neophyte

Wow. The ‘funny’ pet peeve thread I started weeks ago has gone all crazy…

Here’s my two cents again –

Everyone has a right to express their opinion in any manner they choose, even an aggressive one. Obviously, Midnight has a strong opinion – and no amount of arguing is going to change her opinion.

I don’t agree with her but as far as trying to prove her wrong – I could care less. Let her have her opinions. What’s the point of having a conversation? To make everyone agree with your viewpoints?

I think we’ve all had good and bad experiences, ups and downs here in Greece, but (in my opinion) you shouldn’t let the bad times cloud your entire personality. No one said life is easy. Suck it up and make the best of it. Life is what YOU make of it!!!!! WHEREVER you live.

Don’t take this the wrong way, Midnight, but I feel sorry for you. I’ve had rough times here too but at least for me, it has all worked out in the end, and I’m glad I’m here. But I know how it feels to be down, and hate living here and wish you were somewhere else. I really hope you’ll be happier living elsewhere. Good luck.

Angela
    Participant
    Neophyte

Bravo BostonChick for your balanced, sympathetic, and optimistic post!

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

A lowly postal worker in the US will lose his job and go on a killing spree. A lowly postal worker in Greece will lose his job and shout a bit.

Hmm. I can see your point.

Are you telling me that you don’t know how people get public sector jobs in this country? :) How long have you been here?

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

don’t think like you seem to think ex pats should!!!

How do I think ex-pats should think? I don’t remember mentioning that. Do tell.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

Midnight, I’ve read all your post and I have to wonder if you might be going through early menopause?

Yes, all of us are…everyone I know. There’s something in the water.

See, the thing is…when I leave this place? I don’t feel this way. I practically skip through Gatwick when I arrive.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

But if you think you can just up and get a good paying job in the States, you are sorely mistaken!

I think you’re forgetting that I’m from the States.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

Don’t take this the wrong way, Midnight, but I feel sorry for you. I’ve had rough times here too but at least for me, it has all worked out in the end, and I’m glad I’m here. But I know how it feels to be down, and hate living here and wish you were somewhere else. I really hope you’ll be happier living elsewhere. Good luck.

Moral of the story: Always listen to your intuition. My intuition told me not to move here. I didn’t listen and I’m paying the price.

Should I tell everyone about my two experiences here with incompetent dentists? Let’s see, one guy filled a tooth without taking an x-ray. Two weeks later I needed a root canal. I didn’t go back to him. The guy who did the root canal…another dentist…didn’t fill the root believe it or not. Six moths later I had a terrible infection. I finally found a dentist (we’re on number three now) with a degree from a UK dental school (at this point that was extremely important) to fix that. He took x-rays and showed them to me. He was shocked. Do you think I was able to get my money back for the botched root canal? Don’t count on it. All the dentists I’ve been to here (with the exception of this fellow trained in the UK) don’t give receipts.

How about the IKA doctor who told a woman I know that the lump in her breast was “nothing”. She finally paid for a private doctor who told her: cancer. LOL Yeah, that’s IKA…the national health system.

Oh, wait..I have one more. The time I broke my ankle and one of the inbred doctors on Xios set the cast wrong. I ended up at a private doctor who had to take it off and re-set it. He couldn’t believe what they had done.

Wait, there’s more. There was the horribly nasty nurse in that hospital on Xios who…knewing that I had a broken ankle…ripped a piece of paper out from under my foot. I started screaming and crying…but
    she didn’t say a word…no expression on her face. My husband started screaming at her that I was in pain. Nothing from her. Very scary people.

I”m sorry but…given that things like this have been a regular occurence for me here…what do you think I might be feeling about this place?

Oh..and can we talk? Greeks are really unattractive for the most part. If I see another ugly woman with 10 huge warts or moles all over her face I’m going to scream. There is nothing worse than being physically ugly and then having a bad attitude as well. They should not be breeding. If you people want to breed with these genetic rejects…be my guest.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

I’ve read all your post and I have to wonder if you might be going through early menopause? It can hit at any time from your late 20’s on — and believe me, it will make you hate everything and everyone around you. It makes you feel the the problem is everything but you. I understand that even in Greece, you can get medication to take care of your severe depression caused by the pre-menopausal hormonal imbalance that you are most certainly encountering. Before you do harm to that husband of yours, you might want to have it checked out. Seriously, I’ve been through it at a very young age, so feel free to PM me if you want someone to talk to.

You know, thiking about this remark…I have to say…

You are either very stupid or very nasty, or both. You will do well in Greece.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

:mozilla_sealed:

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

:mozilla_sealed: :mozilla_sealed: :mozilla_sealed:

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

This is all too wierd! I still think Midnight is just trying to get her numbers up – she’s went from New member to Junior in 2 days!!! I want to be a senior member so I am going to start my own rant, 1 post at a time ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† .

Midnight, I’m really not a nasty person, honest. ‘Stupid’? I don’t know – I really stopped using the word ‘stupid’ when I became an adult and noticed how ‘studid’ it was to always be using the word ‘stupid’ as a description. I think you sound young and I think you sound frustrated with life at the present moment. Things change, given time. I would really hope that you haven’t been this unhappy for the full 7 years you’ve lived in Greece.

When I move to Greece I’m sure I will have all the same pet peeves that everyone else has — but as I’m always an optimistic, I believe I’ll be able to roll with the punches. Life throws hard knocks at everyone, you just have to learn to work through them.

:)

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

nikanne posted:

:mozilla_sealed: :mozilla_sealed: :mozilla_sealed:

Ha Ha! What a perfect use of the emoticons.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

When I move to Greece I’m sure I will have all the same pet peeves that everyone else has — but as I’m always an optimistic, I believe I’ll be able to roll with the punches.

Ah yes…those were the days.

rheia
    Participant
    Neophyte

Wow Midnight! U are certainly one unhappy lady. Have been away for the site for a few days and have just finished reading your posts.

I have had a variety of emotions about you, ranging from total unbelief that someone can rubbish a whole nation of people so easily – to actually agreeing with some of the things.

I myself couldn’t handle it when I was younger, so I left.

You are only going to make yourself twisted and bitter by staying and life is too short to live like that. Does your husband know how unhappy you really are???

My 3 boys would disagree with you tho about the females in Greece. They think they are definitely agreeable to the eye.

From being quite p…ed off by some of the things u were saying, I am now feeling quite sorry for u. Hope things work themselves out.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

CAPTAIN!! There’s a glimmer of hope that we just might make it through this!

Crewmember Lieutenant Nikanne has stumbled across a way of minimising the transmissions across the voided vortex around the parallel universe and so cutting back the flux density of the Matter-Antimatter Power Generator!!
    So although the parallel universe of anti-Greece is just as strong, it’s losing it pull as it needs the transmissions to feed off!! So… if we can just get the rest of the crew to cut back on transmissions, using the secret :mozilla_sealed: weapon, the vortex around the flux of the Matter-Antimatter Power Generator will decrease and so it just might settle down!

The bad news though captain is that crewmember Midnight may not make it back across….. she may be stuck in the parallel universe of anti-Greece forever, doomed to wander that terrible place forever! But at least the rest of the universe will be saved…… But who’s to know, perhaps at some star-date in the distant future, we will be able to reach the right warp speed whereby we manage to span across the same black hole and find the same place and are able to save crewmember Midnight from anti-Greece….. but that might be a whole new series.

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

I think people here are really worried about you Midnight. I think after 7yrs you’ve given Greece your best shot. Please, for your own sanity, book a flight to the UK: you can be here by tonight.

However, hard it may be to cut the ties you have in Greece, things won’t get any better by procrastinating.

Quick read this before Sjs deletes it:
    Short personal advertisement: If Midnight has stirred up any fears (founded or not) about Greek dentists, may I now take the opportunity to exploit these and encourage you and your friends to come and visit my new dental practice which I hope to open in Rafina in the first half of next year. I have 10yrs experience (currently working at a well-respected Bucks private practice, also have extensive experience with children, people with special needs and nervous adults) and employ the cross-infection standards to the highest currently recommended UK level.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@rheia wrote:

Does your husband know how unhappy you really are???

Yes, he knows. He doesn’t like it either and would like to leave. In fact, he constantly reminds me that when he was young his own father advised him to leave, but he wasn’t able to. His father wasn’t Greek, came here as a refugee and never took the citizenship because of his intense dislike of the place. Consequently, my husband was also stateless growing up even though his mother is Greek (His mother is a total nutcase and we have very little contact with her.) He served in the army in order to take the passport. He said that it’s too bad his father died before I arrived because we would have had a lot in common, especially concerning the Greeks.

Unfortunately, he has a profession that would keep him here. His advice to me is to divorce him and leave…for the sake of my mental health. Everyone can see how miseable I am. Even the local taverna owner commented on it.

When I first got here I thought my problem was culture shock. When it continued I thought well…it must be a bad case of culture shock. Now that it has gone on for 7 years I’m convinced that this is not the place I’m supposed to be. All I can think of is getting out of here. I don’t have any interest in making friends etc…because my mind is focused on leaving.

The problem is that all of my stuff is here. This has been my home for the past 7 years. That’s hard to leave even when you don’t like the country. I supposed that if we came into a large sum of money…I would stay…because I would then be able to leave whenever I want. Right now, I have to stay here through the high season because I can’t afford a ticket to leave. I can’t even afford a ticket back to the States…and I haven’t been back since 1999. I was able to make it to London a couple of times..and my husband even took out a bank loan to h
    elp me get out of her for a week. I stayed in London for a week with some friends and didn’t want to return. It was horrible. A friend of mine from there came here, saw how I was living and told me to get out at once.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@mimi wrote:

If Midnight has stirred up any fears (founded or not) about Greek dentists.

I would strongly advise seeking out a dentist trained outside of Greece…the States, the UK etc. Greek universities are considered some of the worst in Europe and many people in Greece don’t end up studying what they want, but merely what they ended up with after they failed to get what they wanted. You are very likely to get a dentist who really wanted to be a doctor and the enthusiasm for the art just isn’t going to be there. They also don’t really seem to care for their patients.

In the case of the botched root canal I ended up in Metropolitan Hospital’s emergency room..and waiting while they found a dentist to see me.

Also, I think it’s very important to carry private health insurance. If you don’t believe me…make a trip to a government hospital and then go visit a private hospital. Imagine yourself very ill and ask yourself where you would rather be.

An Albanian woman I know had a botched appendectomy (appendix had burst) at a government (IKA) hospital. The surgeon failed to clean the area properly. She developed a life threatening infection and the entire family had to poor their resources and get her to a private doctor. The private doctor prescribed extremely strong antibiotics and told her that she was lucky to be alive. She went back to the IKA hospital and asked to see the director. No can do. She asked to see the doctor. No can do. She finally ended up talking to a secretary of some sort who told her that her “attitude was poor” and that she should watch how she is talking when she speaks with doctors. The implication being that she needed to kow-tow to the doctors…that they were better than she was. She was never compensated for even the money she spent on the private doctor.

So, its a pattern I’ve noticed here. First the IKA doctor and then on to a private doctor to fix what the IKA doctor screwed up. Save yourself the trouble and carry private health insurance.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

Higher education in Greece

Despite noisy protests, the government still wants to reform the universities

LOOK at the faculty list for any leading university in America or Europe and you will be struck by the number of Greek names. Campuses all over the Western world–especially Britain–are also full of Greek students, many of whom get excellent results under pressure from parents who have stretched their family budgets to give their children the best chance. But despite the importance that Greeks attach to education, Greece has some of the worst universities in Europe.

Marietta Giannakou, the Greek education minister, hopes to start correcting that. She says there are about 5,000 scientists and professors of Hellenic origin who might be lured back to their native land if its university system were more rational and freed from the state’s stranglehold. But the minister’s efforts at reform have run into a wave of violent protests, both among students and among academics who like the status quo.

Instead of sitting their qualifying exams, Greek students spent the final weeks of the academic year staging noisy street demonstrations. Last week, a group of extremists among a 10,000-strong student protest in Athens hurled petrol bombs and paving-stones at police, who fought back with tear gas. The protesters claim to be inspired by those at the Athens Polytechnic who tried to overthrow Greece’s ruling colonels three decades ago. But graffiti around Athens University explain their main gripe: they are enraged by the centre-right government’s talk of ending the state’s monopoly on higher education and introducing private, not-for-profit universities.

Such universities would certainly charge for tuition, but they could also get cash from Greek shipping tycoons and other frustrated benefactors, who now endow depa
    rtments of Greek studies at American universities and would love a chance to be similarly generous at home. Greece’s economy–one of the weakest in the euro area–would improve faster if more students could earn MBAs and doctorates in computer sciences at home, Mrs Giannakou argues.

Even if the mood on the streets were calmer, she would not be able to authorise independent universities at a stroke. That requires a change in the constitution, a complex procedure that starts in the life of one parliament but can be completed only in the next. But there are other things that parliament could, in theory, do now–such as set time limits for students to finish their courses, or make them pay for some tuition and textbooks. Those were among the aims of an education bill which Mrs Giannakou had hoped to push through parliament during its partial recess this summer. After the recent protests, the bill has been shelved until the autumn.

The centre-right government will not give up on education reform. One reason why Costas Karamanlis, the American-educated prime minister, is prepared to tackle it is that the Socialist opposition leader, George Papandreou (who has degrees from American and British universities), agrees on the need for change.

Higher education is only one area of Greek life where common sense–and cooler heads in the top ranks of both main political parties–points one way, while long-established practice, and the mood on the street, point in the opposite direction. Much the same applies to the security situation in the Aegean, where military competition between Greece and Turkey costs billions of dollars–and puts at risk even larger amounts of tourist revenues, in the event of a serious incident. A lot of money could be freed to improve its education system, if Greece were somehow able to reduce the share of GDP that it now spends on defence.

(Economist July 8, 2006)

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

I think the Economist has got in wrong on one point, when they state that the ‘mood on the street’ is against these changes. Of course different people have different points of view, but all of the Greeks I personally have asked about this (some of whom have been through the Greek uni system) are in support of the changes.

I think what the journalist is trying, slightly imprecisely, to express is that the most visible mood on the street (ie grafiti and noisy action) is against these changes, this is a vocal self-interested minority group and nothing more.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

I agree with you Mimi, I don’t think many students really want to have to go abroad for ma’s or phd’s, they would rather stay studying here especially if the families dont have a lot of money, it is a very small minority who protest about changes, and some of these are not even students but just trying to stir things up.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@mimi wrote:

I think the Economist has got in wrong on one point, when they state that the ‘mood on the street’ is against these changes.

I think that was a reference not to the average person..but to the students protesting…who were indeed, in the streets.

The problem with Greece is the self-interested minority groups are bringing the entire country down. Who do you think is egging these students on? Their professors, the ones who have a lot to lose. The students, if they follow the “wise” advice of these self-interested lazy bureaucrats will one day find their degrees unrecognized throughout the EU. That has already been threatened. As it stands right now, Greek degrees are not held in high esteem. Imagine if they won’t even be recognized. These students are idiots.

From what I saw of the Greek university system, it’s in a state of extreme disrepair.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

I agree with you Mimi, I don’t think many students really want to have to go abroad for ma’s or phd’s, they would rather stay studying here especially if the families dont have a lot of money, it is a very small minority who protest about changes, and some of these are not even students but just trying to stir things up.

Note the highlighted part. In Greece, the wealthy do fine…the rest, don’t. The rest are left to fight for a few places in a Greek university…a crumbling Soviet-style structure that you wouldn’t want to spend an hour in, let alone years. Go up to the Philosophical School on Zografou. It’s a 9 story concrete monstrosity without paint, without adequate lighting, riddled with graffiti. That 9 story building has a grand total of something like…3 copying machines…and the students are not allowed to operate themselves. If you want something copied you must wait in line (I waited once for nearly 30 minutes) and when you get up to the counter, someone else does the copying for you.

Also, has anyone here ever reflected on the fact that Greece doesn’t have a public library system and that even most grade and high-schools don’t have libraries in them? What does that tell you about the place? I’m a librarian by training and I know the value of books and libraries. I bought a book at Eleftherodakis and it was 15 euros. Since Greek salaries are about 5 times lower than American salaries…that would be like paying around $80 for one children’s book. Where do the poor get their books from? Do their children read?

The Greeks talk a lot about education but what they really care about are diplomas, nothing more. They like to show off diplomas, pieces of paper. There’s very little intellectual curiosity here and while the wealthy can afford spending something like $80 on a children’s book, the poor can’t. Given that, which group do
    you think will have more opportunities? Even if these poor parents understand the value of books, they aren’t able to afford them.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

oh fell for that one sorry mimi was only trying to reply to you! :mozilla_sealed:

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

Oh, I love a good discussion…..

I would argue the contrary Midnight. Quite obviously many university lecturers are completely against the education reforms – the proposals include assessment of teaching standards and shutting down sub-standard departments. End of the easy life for some, you can’t blame them for trying to protect what they see as a good deal for them.

BUT, the point is that they are now backed up against the wall and time has been called on this life of old Riley. There is a political consensus, the changes are demanded by the EU, it’s the end of the line for self-interested lecturers. With any luck, they will be just the first of many groups to have their over-blown sense of self-importance unceremoniously deflated.

Midnight – have you personally ever done anything to try and help? Have you thought about starting a small voluntary lending library? You could get together with like-minded individuals in your area and start a book-exchange or something similar.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

Midnight – have you personally ever done anything to try and help? Have you thought about starting a small voluntary lending library? You could get together with like-minded individuals in your area and start a book-exchange or something similar.

I’m afraid I don’t have the social contacts for a venture like that. I can’t see the few people that I do know having any interest in books…I’m sorry to say. Something like that can only operate when there are interested people around. Plus, you have to remember that the vast majority of Greeks don’t understand how libraries operate. It’s a completely foreign concept for them.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I’m afraid I don’t have the social contacts for a venture like that. I can’t see the few people that I do know having any interest in books…I’m sorry to say. Something like that can only operate when there are interested people around. Plus, you have to remember that the vast majority of Greeks don’t understand how libraries operate. It’s a completely foreign concept for them.

Perhaps you should break out of your circle and meet new people who like reading.

Maybe even do something instead of moan all the time?

GiH Admin

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

Midnight, don’t know if this is still running, but there used to be poetry readings in English at Compendium bookshop.

Might be a good place to meet like-minded individuals and get that book-exchange going.
    Here’s the link:

http://www.translatum.gr/poetry/society/archive/18may2002.htm

Best of luck

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

Perhaps you should break out of your circle and meet new people who like reading.

The topic was why Greece doesn’t have a public library system. Therefore, was speaking of books in Greek…for Greeks.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@mimi wrote:

Midnight, don’t know if this is still running, but there used to be poetry readings in English at Compendium bookshop.

Might be a good place to meet like-minded individuals and get that book-exchange going.
    Here’s the link:

http://www.translatum.gr/poetry/society/archive/18may2002.htm

Best of luck

First time I’ve heard of this bookstore. Syntagma square? Do you know where it is exactly?

BostonChick
    Participant
    Neophyte

Wow Midnight – you’ve been here for 7 years, are a fluent Greek speaker and haven’t realized that there ARE public libraries in Greece? Really?

You’ve never heard of the Greek National Library in Athens? http://www.nlg.gr

or the university libraries?

or the public library in Sparti (with mobile book unit)? http://www.nikiforos.edu.gr

or the public library in Rhodes? http://www.rhodeslibrary.gr

or the public library in Serres? http://www.serrelib.gr

or the public library in Livadia? http://vivl-livad.voi.sch.gr/

or the mobile children’s library in Thessaloniki?
    http://www.tedk.gr/active.aspx?mode=el% … 7c3%7DView

and the list goes on and on…

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

I’ll just hop on over to Rhodes and check out a few books LOL

No, I do not consider a national library to be the same as a public library…because it’s not. It is not a lending library.

University libraries? Assuming they will even let me browse the stacks…is this what I was talking about? No. I was talking about a public library system. What you listed does not a public library system make. In fact, there is no public library system in Greece. These very few libraries are set up by the local government…or private citizens.

I want someone to find for me a public lending library in Athens. Come on, this is supposed to be the mother of Western civilization.

BostonChick
    Participant
    Neophyte

The point is that there ARE libraries in Greece, and in Athens, that are open to everyone.

In general, Greece has a lot to offer. All you have to do is make an effort to find out about things and get involved.

But, what am I saying? (I must the crazy one!) Why bother? It’s just so much easier to do nothing, whine, become miserable and bitter! (Silly me!)

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

I asked you for a public lending library in Athens and you couldn’t provide even one name for me.

Can anyone else help out here? Would like the name of a public lending library in Athens, Greece…home of Western civilization.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Here is a page about public libraries in Greece.

http://cordis.europa.eu/libraries/en/nfp/greece.html

Some people will still whinge though. Even though the first library here was around 300 BC when some countries were… well, not born yet.

Anyhow, the point about all this is that if you want something you can’t complain and wait for it to be handed to you on a platter. That kind of arrogance I find rather unpleasant and utterly to be discouraged.

Instead you have to find it yourself.

But that’s far too difficult for some people here and it would go against the ethos of that ridiculous precept that we are all important and special and deserve to be given without waiting to be asked.

…awaiting whinge…

GiH Admin

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

beat me to it SJS was just about to paste same link, but why should we do all the work??

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thanks sjs. That doesn’t answer the question though:

Can someone point me to one public lending library in Athens?

Don’t get angry at me for bringing up an important issue.

TheMidnightSpecial
    Participant
    Neophyte

@nikanne wrote:

beat me to it SJS was just about to paste same link, but why should we do all the work??

nikanne,

Can YOU perhaps tell me where I can find one public lending library in Athens? Come on, this shouldn’t be that hard….should it? Just show me the library and I’ll go check it out. What could be easier? I don’t want to read bureaucratic BS from the Ministry of Education. I want ONE public lending libray in Athens.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

MS, you’re always asking us to do the work for you. Not once, but every single thing you talk about you want others to solve.

I think you should try this one yourself. Go on, you might even enjoy it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

GiH Admin

Harry
    Participant
    Neophyte

This posting is hilarious!! Midnight special pls do continue, its like an online sitcom. Everyone else, it seems there is not much anyone can do to change her mind so just enjoy the ride!!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I’m definitely with Harry on this one…. My sentiments exactly! ๐Ÿ˜†
    I’ve even run out of star trek plots for this…. problem is that star trek was more believable! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

BostonChick
    Participant
    Neophyte

I have a better idea everyone – let her have the last word and everyone stop replying to her and maybe she’ll go away!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I thought that Captain Kirk had suggested that on an earlier post (in his inimitable, round about sort of way) and although some of us did try not to respond, unfortunately people as verbally provocative as MS are a bit like the Sirens of Greek mythology where their voices entice one to get sucked into the conversation! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

just been going back over this post trying to make sense of it all!!! Did MS ever say where she lived!! I feel they must have been very poor as her husband had to take out a bank loan to send her to london for a week!! I wonder if that was her main problem, she also said if they had money she would stay!!

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

I don’t think she ever mentioned where she lived, except that it wasn’t a nice area and that she wasn’t mixing with the embassy set in the Northern suburbs.

Hope she’s ok.

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

yes I wonder that too Mimi, she sounded so down that I wonder if any of it was true.

Mi2
    Participant
    Neophyte

In the spirit of the title, when I previously lived in Athens, I did find quite a bit of snobbery amongst some of the ex-pats. (This sweeps right across the board of Brits/Americans/other northern europeans).

I met not a few searing snobs who wanted to pigeon hole me right from the beginning (where do you live? what do you do? what does your partner do?).

I suppose some of the people I met were quite ‘socially-upward bound,’ but I’ve never in my life met so many in such a short space of time.

I would give details, but you know, I’ll be back there soon and it’s a small world.
    (Please God, deliver me from coffee mornings and cocktail parties)

Rurpled
    Participant
    Neophyte

@mimi wrote:

Consider yourself delivered my child. Now you must resist the temptation to visit coffee mornings and cocktail parties, do that and you will be free..

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

@Rurpled wrote:

@mimi wrote:

Consider yourself delivered my child. Now you must resist the temptation to visit coffee mornings and cocktail parties, do that and you will be free..

Or if you are unable to resist, just go for Cocktail Mornings and the whole day will seem so much brighter and easier to handle.

GiH Admin

marin
    Participant
    Neophyte

รŽลธรŽลก, I’ ve been away for a while and I missed (again) all the fun. I have just finished reading Midnight’s comments and posts, and I think it is the first time in my life that I actually felt like saying something to defend my homeland! Those of you who have followed my posts will know that I have spent all of my adult life in the UK and I love both countries dearly but I have taken the decision to return knowing full well that there are going to be problems here that I will find at times impossible to tackle.

I got angry and then I felt like Midnight really needs help. If things are soooo bad for her then she could book a cheap ticket to the States easily. You can fly to the east coast for as little as 600 Euros and she should beg for that kind of money if it provides her sanity.

The truth is that you make your own life and you find things to be positive about no matter where you are. I mean I really love some of the nuttier aspects of Greek culture (like the long coffee drinking time) but it never bothered me that I could not reproduce these conditions in the UK. I simply went into a pub instead.

To generalise as much as Midnight does (the worst dentists in Europe, the worst Universities in Europe, the worst hospitals in EUrope etc) shows that she is filled with nothing but rancour for this country and so should leave asap for her own benefit.

I think that in this forum everyone has whinged about all aspects of Greek life but we all find nice things about the country as well. There is always a balance between things you hate and things you love and when the scales tip tooo much towards one end you should leave.

PS My pet hate is the same as sjs’s. Gregory-I am the nicest bloke on earth- on daytime tv. They’ve put him on Sunday nights as well now!!!!!!

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that Marin, lovely comment. ๐Ÿ˜€

johnny.dee
    Participant
    Neophyte

OH god, judging from my last couple of posts I have been indoctrinated by MS. I need a good exorsist.

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Think yourself lucky, I have been indoctrinated by Mary Poppins.

johnny.dee
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Domino wrote:

Think yourself lucky, I have been indoctrinated by Mary Poppins.

Thats handy my chimney needs a sweep before christmas and the logs go on.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.