Orphee Beinoglou and me.

Forums Dealing with Greece Practicalities Orphee Beinoglou and me.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jodevizes 2 years ago.

• Author

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

This is a story of the removal company, Orphee Beinoglou, and me and what happened when I left Greece using them to transport my belongings.

We used OB to come to Greece and they were good. No problems. But then when we used them to leave Greece it was a very different story.

The salient facts are these:

In June 2010 OB packed all our belongings when we moved to Switzerland. After a few problems (i.e. OB not delivering on time and leaving us living in an empty house for a couple of weeks) every box they had packed arrived. Except when we opened them we discovered a number of items missing.

Of those missing items some were bizarre (where’s my wetsuit and the dog’s bed?) but some were less so: a brass tin full of cigarettes from 1914 which had been sent to my G-G-Grandfather in the trenches along with a letter from the Queen – he died shortly after and it was the last remaining memento we had of him; an antique pair of scales; and there were also missing some solid silver antique knick-knacks which had belonged to my wife’s late mother (curiously the cheaper silver-plated items which had been alongside them all arrived).

Of course when we discovered all this we wrote to OB.

They initially gave me a positive reply and told me they would investigate. But as time went on it took longer and longer for my emails to them to be answered and, essentially, I was given the run around. I had to pester them even for them to respond and send multiple copies CC’d to multiple people to get some kind of action going.

And then finally, in January 2012, they told me it was impossible for me to make any accusations towards them and since I couldn’t find any evidence that their operatives had stolen the missing items they weren’t going to do anything.

Did they investigate the matter as I was promised? I don’t know.

Did their operatives steal my belongings? I don’t know.

Of course I can’t prove anything. All I know is that

1. We had the items in Athens on the day the packers arrived.
    2. Every box arrived intact and unopened at our destination.
    3. A number of valuable items could not be found in the boxes.

So where did those items go and who took them? I can’t be sure, but I have my suspicions as I am sure you do, too.

Of course in retrospect I made mistakes and should have done things differently. The biggest piece of advice I can suggest to anyone moving is that you should pack all your valuable items yourself and keep them out of sight of the removal people just in case that valuable solid silver ashtray accidentally vapourises into nothing which seems to be what happened to us.

And would I use OB again? Not in a million years. They were not particularly helpful when I complained and were very quick to threaten me with legal action if I posted anything negative about them online, threatening to sue me for libel.

GiH Admin

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

AH ha!So we can say lots of nasty things about SJS with impunity! :)

as if we would.

Sad tale about your removals. It must be hit and miss getting all your belongings delivered. But their apparent lack of action would certainly put me off using them!

My last removal had possessions in storage for ages whilst the house was built. All turned up when delivered except…
    . a long extension ladder! Glad they paid for it via their insurance, though!

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

[Ref: the posts about libel have been moved here which is thread about libel on forums; this thread above can be used for talking about Orphee Beinoglou or other removal companies.]

GiH Admin

GlennB
    Participant
    Neophyte

@kolofarthos wrote:

My last removal had possessions in storage for ages whilst the house was built. All turned up when delivered except…
    . a long extension ladder! Glad they paid for it via their insurance, though!

That’s totally weird ic_shock When we moved to Greece our 3-piece ladder was the only missing item. But we did gain a huge sun umbrella that had nothing to do with us. Anybody want to buy a sun umbrella?

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

As I am about to move (although money still hasn’t come through to buy a flat), this is quite worrying. I am packing myself though and am surrounded by boxes. I just hope they all arive.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.