New Pet Passports

Forums Living in Greece Daily Life New Pet Passports

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jodevizes 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

Just looked at the pet passport UK site – here is the link…

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/390396/pet-travel-scheme-dec-2014-guidance.pdf

It clearly says that old passports issued prior to end December 2014 will be honoured so looks like you should not be turned back if your passport does not comply with the new regulations.

quote from site –

However if you already have a passport for your pet you do not need to get a new one. Existing passports will remain valid for the lifetime of the pet (or until all the treatment spaces are filled).

The new style passport will include laminated strips designed to cover those pages with the pet’s details, microchip information and each rabies vaccination entry. This will help prevent anyone tampering with this information once it has been completed by a vet.

The vet issuing the pet passport will also need to fill in their details on a new ‘Issuing of the passport’ page and must make sure that all their contact details are included when they certify vaccinations and treatments.

It is the information IN BOLD above I forewarn of. MAKE SURE your vet enters their name, address & phone number and NOT JUST STAMPS the passport. I know of at least on instance where a person was not allowed to travel to the UK with their dog and had to get the vet fax all details to the DEFRA office at the port before they were allowed to proceed.

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Yes Grocer, the existing pet passports are still ok.

We’ve travelled over with our dog’s old passport with no problem.

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

Yes Shazzie, as I said in the statement “Existing passports will remain valid for the lifetime of the pet (or until all the treatment spaces are filled).”  The point I was mainly making is to inform people to ensure the vet adds their name, address and contact phone number, not just stamp the passport.

We travelled from France to UK & back last week with our dog and there were no problems, but I do know someone who was delayed….

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

I was lucky, I got a letter from my vet to tell me that I had to go  back so he could put his name and address on the vaccination the cat just had. Mind you I will be leaving the UK so that might not be such a problem.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Am grinning reading all this and thinking…tell some Greek in a village that his dog needs a passport. I would probably here him laughing all the way to NZ.

Life has become so complicated.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

I tried to explain to a Greek that in the Netherlands there’s such a thing as an “Animal-ambulance”.

There’s no way now I’m going to convince him that I’m not (at least slightly) off my rocker… :wacko:

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Never mind ambulances, check these out.

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

I tried to explain to a Greek that in the Netherlands there’s such a thing as an “Animal-ambulance”. There’s no way now I’m going to convince him that I’m not (at least slightly) off my rocker

Indeed Ian. Our neighbours thought our catflap totally hilarious. If we tried to explain pet passports, we’d be carted off to the nearest funny farm !!

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Never mind ambulances, check these out.

I could only agree with anyone declaring these cat-owners to be nutcases… :wacko:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Imagine me telling a Greek that I had a cat flap in the front door, and the cat wore a special electronic collar to open said flap! I can just see them making the sign of the cross and looking up at God in despair.

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

More money than sense.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

You wouldn’t think so if you saw the entourage of cats that followed ours into the house via the flap, until she went electronic. And being males…they kindly sprayed everywhere. This is a few years back of course.

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

You should have taught her better morals. :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.