New ID & retrospect changes

Forums Dealing with Greece Formalities New ID & retrospect changes

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ian 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

Syssi
    Participant
    Neophyte

i have a Greek ID issued 2007. I am informed that the Greek ID qualifications have since changed

– so if I apply to update  to the biometric ID could they confiscate my ID?

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Why do you think they would confiscate it? If you have the right to a Greek ID, then you will just be renewing to the newer biometric one. Overseas Greeks often have lapsed id’s.

Maybe  you could elaborate more.

If you are a foreigner married to a Greek and since seperated, there could be a problem because if the marriage was short they could ask for proof that you are still together with the Greek, in the form of his written statement.

Syssi
    Participant
    Neophyte

It seems that the criteria for Greek citezenship has changed

& I am worried that if I updated my ID , it may be revoked due to the changes since mine was issued

sorry if that seems paranoid, but I have had Kafkaesque incidents with authorities due to my duel nationality English/Irish & that my name was changed as a baby (different from birth certificate )

i have not been doing anything illegal, but I have certainly felt like a criminal whilst defending myself

The article  states……..

<i>On November 30, 2012 the minister of interior froze all procedures pertaining to granting Greek cit,izenship to persons of non-Greek origin. Therefore, until the ban is lifted, it is not possible for anyone to acquire Greek citizenship, a Greek passport or Greek ID unless they are of Greek descent/origin/blood.</i>

<i>On February 5, 2013, Greece announced that all non-Greek foreigners granted Greek citizenship under the 2010 reform may lose their voting rights and, possibly, their Greek passports and Greek IDs.</i>

Credit link: http://livingingreece.gr/2007/03/16/ways-to-acquire-greek-citizenship/#ixzz3ur4kOscJ

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Sounds serious. I didn’t realise they had rescinded the rights.

If you are in Greece, go to a KEP office and ask there, they could be able to help with what the criteria is, but it is the police that deal with these matters if the ID you have is a Greek citizens taftotita. If it’s a foreigners card, it will be covered by the local body in your  area.

If you are out of Greece you could go and speak to a Greek Consulate official who should know the answers.

One thing for sure…only whatever is on the birth certificate is what they will accept. You can call yourself Fred or whatever, but if the name Mary is on the birth certificate, which they require to view and must be recently stamped and translated, that’s what they will use.

Good luck, if all else fails try finding a Greek lawyer where you are.

Syssi
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thank you for the help :-) – I will try to sort this out.

If only I could just use my birth certificate name,

problem is  -it was only my name for a week, so all my papers health/school etc are in the only name I have ever used/known

It has never given me a problem during my life in any place but Greece!

Happy Holidays!

& lets hope  2017 goes well

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Your problem is not so rare. In the old days…when I was young, you could change your name by deed poll or common usage and you could call yourself anything you liked, and it was deemed to be your common name and wasn’t a problem. After  911 biometrics came in and we all got forced to use our real names as per birth certificate. Big problems for many.

My husband has a worse problem. He has gone through life using the wrong birth date. Since young he was able to get passports etc without having the original birth certificate until biometrics came in and he ordered his real one from the village and was shocked to see the date was different. The date he was using was the actual date of birth cording to his mother, but because it was winter with heavy snow his father registered him when the snows cleared, a month later, and being a man, didn’t remember the date and so he put down the date of registration. You have no idea what chaos this causes. So…they are used to such things happening.

Syssi
    Participant
    Neophyte

Sadly I can imagine the frustration this must cause.

Whilst it is not his fault nor can he undo the mistake, he is stuck with the obstacle.

thanks

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

All of a sudden I’m not so sure anymore I’m even me! :scratch:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.