New GiH Site

Forums Greece is Home Website GIH Website New GiH Site

This topic contains 168 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  kiwi 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Ok, so still tweaking this but we’re online at least…

GiH Admin

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

:yahoo:   Thank goodness for that…. I was gasping to get on….

Going through withdrawals is rough you know? reb_bravo

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Ah, good to see you managed to get on KP! reb_bravo

GiH Admin

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Ah, good to see you managed to get on KP! reb_bravo

and there goes the best opportunity you had to ‘lose’ me Sean! :-)

I did have to apply for a new password though, as although the original password was there, the system wouldn’t accept it…. anyway, here I am…..
    Honey! I’m Home!! :yahoo:

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Ok, if you want you can also change your profile picture (unless you like the grey shadow look of course).

Just click on it and you’ll go to the profile page. Click on the image and a menu pops up where you can upload a new picture.

GiH Admin

KP
      Participant
      Aristotelic

Ok, if you want you can also change your profile picture (unless you like the grey shadow look of course). Just click on it and you’ll go to the profile page. Click on the image and a menu pops up where you can upload a new picture.

I’ve just spent the last 10 minutes trying to upload my old avatar which I had on the old site, but:

1st attempt of original…. I’m told it’s too narrow.

2nd attempt, I used a larger version which the system accepted, but it cuts part of the avatar and won’t let me see it all.

3rd attempt, in an effort to reduce it a bit, so that all of it can be seen… I reduce it to 90% of the size, but it’s still chopping out bits of the avatar!

4th attempt, I reduce it from 90% to 85% and I get a message saying…. wait for it… that the avatar is too small! :unsure:

What’s the max pixel size allowed Sean? What do I do?

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

What happened to view new posts ? That was a real easy way to see what is happening?

The site is a bit of a punch in the eye after the other but like all things we’ll get used to it.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

What happened to view new posts ?

Yes, that was my most used link. It’s coming back in about… five minutes?

GiH Admin

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

OOps just seen latest activity. Scratch the last post.

PS I don’t read Greek yet, what are the two signs on the smilies ?

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Max size is 150kb; not sure about the dimensions but if you want to send it to me I can see what you have and what works.

GiH Admin

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

OOps just seen latest activity. Scratch the last post. PS I don’t read Greek yet, what are the two signs on the smilies ?

reb_popo = “po po po” = oh dear

reb_bravo = “bravo”

GiH Admin

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Piratey_vector_version.svg_

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

The picture is round so ideally comes from a square original…

GiH Admin

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

I’m not getting any pictures up on any of the topics.

Is it just me or is anyone else getting no graphics ?

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

What does that even mean??? :wacko:

The picture wasn’t round…… :unsure:

The original I sent you was 220×285 pixels and 46.4kb…. so how has it ended up round and still slightly chopped off?

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

free-site-complaint

Attachments:

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I’m not getting any pictures up on any of the topics. Is it just me or is anyone else getting no graphics ?

Which graphics are you missing?

GiH Admin

Shazzie
      Participant
      Oracle

Any topic which included a photo ie the Caption Competition, the photos isn’t shown

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

Well, I made it too. Although I must admit I needed to use the button ‘forgot password’ although I hadn’t forgotten.

When I clicked the ‘I am not a robot’ button I thought it was an ad popping up for sjs coffeemoney, but I should have clicked on a few of the photo’t to proove I am not a robot. Lucky me the system didn’t ask if I am not an Alien  :scratch:

Hope the avatar bit will turn out easy …..

Oh, nearly forgot: looks nice the new site!  :rose:   reb_bravo

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

What does that even mean??? :wacko: The picture wasn’t round…… :unsure: The original I sent you was 220×285 pixels and 46.4kb…. so how has it ended up round and still slightly chopped off?

No, the profile picture is round; the original image you sent was rectangular (oblong in old money). A square picture transforms to a round one more neatly than a rectangular one does.

Having said that, I don’t really know what I mean either. 😥

GiH Admin

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

Oh no, now I get emails because I subscribed to a topic  :wacko:

Photo too small, will check that out another time. Untill then my life will be grey?

Hopefully not too many members are going to post otherwise my mailbox will be full before I find out how to unsubscribed  :negative:

Just seen the tag under the smileys. Not sure if I should ‘untag’ after every posting????

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

No need to untag every post; just go to the top of the topic page and click UNSUBSCRIBE

Capture

Note that when you reply to a topic the “NOTIFY ME…” button is checked by default, simply unclick it when you reply.

GiH Admin

Attachments:

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Did you see my photo attachment on this thread?

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Sean, just to give you some feedback on a few things in case it helps:-

1) there is no ‘preview’ of the post which helps us to look at what we’ve prepared before it’s posted.

2) When I hit the ‘quote’ button to make a comment on a picture attachment which had been uploaded on a previous post, when my comment came up, it left the photo out, which I didn’t realise as there is no preview facility….. had there been a preview and I realised that the picture wouldn’t come up, I wouldn’t have posted it.

3) When I posted the photograph in this new system, unlike the old system which showed the posted photo large, this one only shows it as a small preview and then if anybody wants to see the photo clearly, they need to click on it to enlarge it.

Again, these are not criticism, but just feedback in case it helps you find any bugs quicker….. thanks….. :-)

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

1) there is no ‘preview’ of the post which helps us to look at what we’ve prepared before it’s posted.

With the editor now WYSIWYG (i.e. you can see bold, italic, alignment etc) what you see in the finished post should be what you see in the editor. Is that so?

2) When I hit the ‘quote’ button to make a comment on a picture attachment which had been uploaded on a previous post, when my comment came up, it left the photo out, which I didn’t realise as there is no preview facility….. had there been a preview and I realised that the picture wouldn’t come up, I wouldn’t have posted it.

No, I don’t think photos are transferred across in a quote. Or rather, I think they can be but it’s a bit fiddly. Let’s wait on this one and if there’s a demand for it then I can try to implement it.

3) When I posted the photograph in this new system, unlike the old system which showed the posted photo large, this one only shows it as a small preview and then if anybody wants to see the photo clearly, they need to click on it to enlarge it.

What you need to do is SELECT FILE to upload a picture to the post. Then next to the file is a small link, INSERT INTO CONTENT. This places the picture IN the post rather than as an attachment under the post. It actually looks like this:

weightlifter

Again, these are not criticism, but just feedback in case it helps you find any bugs quicker….. thanks….. 

No, do please tell! It’s early days with this new forum and things are bound to be a bit uncertain till they settle down and people get used to the changes. Later on (MUCH later on) there are some other enhancements to make but they can wait. This is – in my humble opinion – a far better basis for a website than the forum we had before.

GiH Admin

Attachments:

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Any topic which included a photo ie the Caption Competition, the photos isn’t shown

Yes, I’ve just seen that. I’ll try and get the pictures back but in the meantime I’ve closed that thread and opened a new one with pictures…

Caption Competition Version 2

GiH Admin

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

More on new posts.Not sure if this is being worked on so…..New posts used to come up as ‘new since last login’ but not seem to be the same since my last login earlier today so functionality has changed. Can this be reverted as it was very useful?        And from my tablet I cannot (so it seems) hit return to get a new line and I do not have a control key if that functionality is the intent. :mail: Help!

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Part one above……….       Doh! Just seen menu item on sidebar “new posts since last visit”.   I would vote for that to be the default, if possible! :good:   like the new emoticons :yahoo: …,.& keep up the good work, Sean

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  kolofarthos. Reason: edit try out and additions at end of message

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Part one above………. Doh! Just seen menu item on sidebar “new posts since last visit”. I would vote for that to be the default, if possible!

That’s an interesting one. Should the “home” page of the site be new posts since last visit? Personally I’ve bookmarked the “posts since last visit” and just go straight there in the browser.

GiH Admin

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Good option but I think the ‘new posts’ heading might be best being those since last visit otherwise how new is new? 😉

Stella
      Participant
      Hoplite

I am trying so far without success to add my avatar using my ipad. There does not seem to be any way of reducing the size of a photo so it will fit.  Feeling helpless and hopeless at the moment.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Good option but I think the ‘new posts’ heading might be best being those since last visit otherwise how new is new? 😉

The “new posts since last visit” logs (for each user) when you were here last and shows you new posts since you were last on the site.

GiH Admin

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

:scratch: That I understood thanks. I was referring though to the main sidebar heading ” New Posts”

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

:scratch: That I understood thanks. I was referring though to the main sidebar heading ” New Posts”

Ah, I see.  💡

GiH Admin

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

How is this better than the previous site, please?  I am having a struggle to navigate.  Is there a spell check and how can I preview before submitting?

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

I guess it is more secure for one thing and probably uses up to date bits in the workshop :good:

It has better formatting control for your posts, attachments can be bigger lots of new emoticons, wysiwyg posts so no need for a preview ( except emoticons don’t wysiwig) and no chatroom…… :unsure:    ooooooops, you do remember the chatroom everyone?

Could be that it is easier to manage for sjs and lots of blue and white of the Greek flag! What more does on want?

Not sure why you find it difficult to navigate, Stella, I find it quite intuitive. sjs is still amending and tweaking so if you post what it is that you find difficult to navigate specifically I expect he will investigate.

I was not bothered about a change but find the new one quite good so far apart from the few teething troubles mentioned in this thread. :-)

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Good point about spilchucker though. Must admit though my browser does it for me (Mozilla Firefox) so not an issue for me.

Πολι Καλα.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  kolofarthos.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

How is this better than the previous site, please? I am having a struggle to navigate. Is there a spell check and how can I preview before submitting?

The spell checker is in the browser (it was on the previous site incarnation also). And preview isn’t necessary because the editor will show you what the finished product will look like as you’re typing.

Also, and this is the big thing for me, the last site was getting 100+ spam users joining per day! This one is much more secure in that regard. There’s also a lot of room for development down the line.

GiH Admin

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

I have two issues with the new format.  Posts have the “unread” icon when there’s nothing new since the last time I was here, and I don’t see a “go to first unread post” when there is something new.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

……. The spell checker is in the browser (it was on the previous site incarnation also). And preview isn’t necessary because the editor will show you what the finished product will look like as you’re typing.

Could you tell me where to find the spill chucker in the bowser?

Is it linked to the site?

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

, and I don’t see a “go to first unread post” when there is something new.

On the left under the TOPICS VIEWS LIST there’s the link NEW POSTS SINCE LAST VISIT which will list all the new posts since you last logged on. This is the easiest way to catch up with what’s been going on since you logged off.

(I bookmarked that link and go there by default.)

GiH Admin

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

……. The spell checker is in the browser (it was on the previous site incarnation also). And preview isn’t necessary because the editor will show you what the finished product will look like as you’re typing.

Could you tell me where to find the spill chucker in the bowser? Is it linked to the site?

Which browser do you use? Normally they’re automitically installed so typing a bad spelling underlines it in red.

spell

GiH Admin

Attachments:

KP
      Participant
      Aristotelic

Mi bowsar is ForeFux (Mudzilla)….

I riely nid that spillchucker

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

I like the NEW POSTS SINCE LAST VISIT option.

As has been said it’s the first thing I click on.

Still getting used to the new site, but then my inner Luddite always rears it’s ugly head when I face any new techie stuff !!!

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Yes, browser specific see Firefox help or search

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

…… but then my inner Luddite always rears it’s ugly head when I face any new techie stuff !!!

That’s coz you’re so incredibly old and decrepit!

Bet you wish that you wuz a young and hip as what I iz Shaz? :-)  :whistle:

:rose:

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

Mi bowsar is ForeFux (Mudzilla)…. I riely nid that spillchucker

Afraid I only have the Dutch version. Very happy to see more of you make tippiee-errowrs  :yahoo:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

They call tipees “yurts” these days……. :wacko:   Also if you use Chrome chrome spell checking search helps. You will find in some machine rather than cloud based checkers you need the particular language installed so for example if you have a dutch pc you need to load an English or Greek dictionary to spell check in those languages……I think! Still haven’t found how to get onto a new line from a tablet on here (Android one in my case) hence poor formatting in this message. PC was fine! Also struggling with copy paste etc not working within text such as this – again on tablet.

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

All looking OK now Sean…you “cracked it ”  !!

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

, and I don’t see a “go to first unread post” when there is something new.

On the left under the TOPICS VIEWS LIST there’s the link NEW POSTS SINCE LAST VISIT which will list all the new posts since you last logged on. This is the easiest way to catch up with what’s been going on since you logged off. (I bookmarked that link and go there by default.)

thanks Admin…I saw that, and it’s okay. But I always used the “go to first unread” at the beginning of each thread. It’s ok…I’ll learn to live without it. :yes:  Seeing posts that indicate they’re new when they aren’t is annoying,  but I can live with that, too. If GIH didn’t exist anymore you’d really hear me scream! (Well, I guess you wouldn’t in that case.) :wacko:

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

Also, I’m not seeing an “edit” function on my post. OOOPS…there it is! Sorry! But it seems to disappear quickly after posting. Now to look for a “delete” button.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  brenda.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Also, I’m not seeing an “edit” function on my post. OOOPS…there it is! Sorry! But it seems to disappear quickly after posting. Now to look for a “delete” button.

That’s an interesting one. There is an EDIT button but it remains for about 10 minutes then disappears. The idea being that once a conversation is set down it shouldn’t be changed but seared into the pages of history for all eternity (or something like that).

Now, I can change this. What do people think? Edit forever… or a time limit on change?

GiH Admin

Sancho the Fat
    Participant
    Neophyte

OK, so

a) is a voice what used to be called a “thread”, and if so how do I start a new one ?

b) why is the Utterly Off Topic sub-forum marked “last updated by kiwi 1 year, 4 months ago” when I posted something there last month ? Blatant favouritism or what ?

c) where’s my “avatar” gone ?

Sancho the Fat
    Participant
    Neophyte

OK, so a) is a voice what used to be called a “thread”, and if so how do I start a new one ? b) why is the Utterly Off Topic sub-forum marked “last updated by kiwi 1 year, 4 months ago” when I posted something there last month ? Blatant favouritism ? & c) where’s my “avatar” gone ?

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Will post full details later but a report has come to me regarding a problem with the admin email address with messages rejected by server. Can we still pm?

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

OK, so a) is a voice what used to be called a “thread”, and if so how do I start a new one ?

No. The “voices” refer to the number of different people who are contributing to a thread. This thread (on the new site) has 10 voices, i.e. 10 people are taking part in this particular discussion.

b) why is the Utterly Off Topic sub-forum marked “last updated by kiwi 1 year, 4 months ago” when I posted something there last month ? Blatant favouritism ? &

When the forums were converted from the previous system, the “latest post” wasn’t updated properly. However, if you write a new post in Utterly Off Topic you will show up again and the world will be a happier place.

c) where’s my “avatar” gone ?

Into the ether. Click on MY PROFILE in the menu on the left and then you can click on the empty picture and upload a new one.

GiH Admin

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Will post full details later but a report has come to me regarding a problem with the admin email address with messages rejected by server. Can we still pm?

PM is coming soon. What happens when you try to email admin@greeceishome.gr?

GiH Admin

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

I am having problems with the ‘notify me’. I have un ticked the box several times but I still keep getting emails. How do I stop it please?

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I am having problems with the ‘notify me’. I have un ticked the box several times but I still keep getting emails. How do I stop it please?

Rather than the box, did you click UNSUBSCRIBE at the top of the thread?

GiH Admin

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Hi as promised full details of email error Sean. Apologies for the delay but still having problems  pasting into the site from my tablet ( the paste function does not appear at a long press in text on here) so had to switch to my PC. Still same issue with carriage return/new line enters too.

Message sent by Kiwi to you got the following response:

“I got two emails today as follows  for the two emails I sent to Sean. Maybe you can pass this on. Thanks

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

admin@greeceishome.gr

Message will be retried for 2 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain greeceishome.gr by mail.greeceishome.gr. [208.43.114.248].

The error that the other server returned was:
    451 Temporary local problem – please try later”

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

It seems the new GIH isn’t  compatible with my iPad Mini. The entire left hand column is missing. Without that, I can’t even log in. I’m taking the iPad to Greece with me in about two weeks…I won’t be able to log in here :-(

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

It seems the new GIH isn’t compatible with my iPad Mini. The entire left hand column is missing. Without that, I can’t even log in. I’m taking the iPad to Greece with me in about two weeks…I won’t be able to log in here :-(

If you check at the very top of the page next to the title on mobile phones and tablets, etc, there’s a small box of 3 lines like this:

gihmenu

Click the box and the left side menu appears under it. Click the box again to remove the menu.

GiH Admin

Attachments:

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

Oh..wow…that works. Thanks so much. I’ve had this iPad for a year and I’m still learning things about it. I should mention I’m a senior citizen…it takes me a little longer to learn :yahoo:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Note: Android tablet (hudl) no such menu appears but is not needed as sidebar appears – text still a bit small though. B-)

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Note: Android tablet (hudl) no such menu appears but is not needed as sidebar appears – text still a bit small though. B-)

I *think* that from within the tablet browser you should be able to increase the default size of text.

GiH Admin

Sancho the Fat
    Participant
    Neophyte

I’m giving up this forum until I understand how to use it.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I’m giving up this forum until I understand how to use it.

What don’t you understand?

GiH Admin

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I am trying so far without success to add my avatar using my ipad. There does not seem to be any way of reducing the size of a photo so it will fit. Feeling helpless and hopeless at the moment.

Not at all Stella!

If you’re having problems, simply email me the picture (or post it on the forum using the SELECT FILE) and I can edit and insert it for you.

GiH Admin

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Hi S, tried changing the default text size. Choice of just two(tiny & small) and they have no affect whatsoever on this site – or indeed other sites :unsure:

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

sjs: I wonder if you would mind telling me what you think is better about this new forum format compared to the previous one. I’m really trying, but I can’t see anything better, and for me it’s a real time waster.  On the old forum, as soon as I opened it I could see which threads had new posts. Now, when I go to “new posts since last visit” it brings up the same threads and posts that I read hours before, with nothing new. And since I haven’t found a way to jump to the last post in a thread the way I could in the old one, I have to scroll through the whole thread to get to the end of it and find out there’s no new post. Please convince me that there’s something better about this.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

sjs: I wonder if you would mind telling me what you think is better about this new forum format compared to the previous one.

Apart from the fact I’m not deleting 100+ spam registrations per day?

I’m really trying, but I can’t see anything better, and for me it’s a real time waster. On the old forum, as soon as I opened it I could see which threads had new posts. Now, when I go to “new posts since last visit” it brings up the same threads and posts that I read hours before, with nothing new.

That doesn’t happen with me. I click NEW POSTS SINCE LAST VISIT and see whatever’s been posted since I’ve been away. It’s working pretty well so I’m wondering – which browser are you using? Perhaps it’s an issue with that?

As regards the backend there’s a million things better with this format; as regards the front end, once things are sorted out there are quite a few neat little enhancements which will come.

GiH Admin

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

I’m using Chrome.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Similar to Brenda – me using Firefox on Android, “new posts since last visit” does show the threads that have been updated but selecting them does not take you to the added posts but page one.That’s maybe what Brenda is getting at? One can select the various pages but assuming the last page is selected then some new posts may be missed from an earlier page. Is that what concerns you Brenda? :unsure:

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  kolofarthos. Reason: added a bit more explanation and query

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

No, your issue seems to be different, kolo.

Cloggie
    Participant
    Neophyte

Well, as I predicted earlier.

The new site refused to accept my old password. :negative:
    Clicking on “forgot my password” using my forumname “ian” resulted in it telling me that an e-mail had been sent but I never got it. :negative:
    Clicking on “forgot my password” using my e-mail address resulted in it telling me there was no account with that address. :negative:
    Sending an e-mail to admin@greeceishome.com resulted in it (twice) coming back to me as “undeliverable”. :wacko:

Sean, how do I re-activate my “old” account. :unsure:

KP
      Participant
      Aristotelic

IAN…. I prefer your new moniker of ‘CLOGGIE’…. please don’t go back to ‘Ian’! :-)

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Cannot answer your question clog dancer but the lady from down under has the same problem. I have made Sean aware but it must not be fixed yet. Probably lots of issues and limited time so we will have to be patient. Just had a thought 😉 wonder if the old site could be redirected temporarily so members who have problems logging in could get their password back?…….probably a non starter, just a passing thought in my brain cell……….

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Better still use a password manager (one built into Firefox and available in other browsers too so you never need loose your password again! – for most of them anyway and helps us old duffers with memory lo…..something too)

Cloggie
    Participant
    Neophyte

I have a password manager, Norton 360 comes with one, but I usually remember what password I used for what site (and no, I don’t use the same one on every site :negative: ) but the login wouldn’t accept it, neither from the manager nor manual entry. :wacko:

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Similar to Brenda – me using Firefox on Android, “new posts since last visit” does show the threads that have been updated but selecting them does not take you to the added posts but page one.

Ok, the simple way to get to the last post on the forum is not click on the title of the forum but instead click on the so-called Freshness, i.e. the date when the last post was made. That will take you to the most recently laid post.

freshness

In the case above, it’s 9 minutes ago.

GiH Admin

Attachments:

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Well, as I predicted earlier. The new site refused to accept my old password. :negative: Clicking on “forgot my password” using my forumname “ian” resulted in it telling me that an e-mail had been sent but I never got it.

I *think* your old username began with a capital. Was it attached to the email address: ikl@…. (removed the end of it to stop spam).

I can do it manually if you like; just let me know if that’s your email

GiH Admin

Cloggie
    Participant
    Neophyte

Well, as I predicted earlier. The new site refused to accept my old password. :negative: Clicking on “forgot my password” using my forumname “ian” resulted in it telling me that an e-mail had been sent but I never got it.

I *think* your old username began with a capital. Was it attached to the email address: ikl@…. (removed the end of it to stop spam).

I can do it manually if you like; just let me know if that’s your email

Ah, it was me being #@!(*& :wacko: then, I could have sworn I’d updated my e-mail address years ago (when I moved to Greece, I’ve actually received some GIH related mail on the new account), the one that’s apparently still attached to it is not in use anymore and I think the provider even stopped providing :whistle:

It did apparently  accept the “ian” all in lower case, it did tell me it’d sent an e-mail. :yes:

Yes, please, if you could manually set it up again? Please use the e-mail address I’ve used for the “Cloggie” account.

Cloggie
    Participant
    Neophyte

IAN…. I prefer your new moniker of ‘CLOGGIE’…. please don’t go back to ‘Ian’! :-)

:scratch: You change yours to LIMEY and we have a deal… :yes:

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Yes, please, if you could manually set it up again? Please use the e-mail address I’ve used for the “Cloggie” account.

I sent you an email – let me know! 😉

GiH Admin

Ian
      Participant
      Homeric

See,

I had Sean go through all this trouble to get me my own account back and now I’d stick with the new one just because you like it better? :unsure:

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

See, I had Sean go through all this trouble to get me my own account back and now I’d stick with the new one just because you like it better? :unsure:

Or you could just log on with both accounts and start arguments with yourself.  :whistle:

GiH Admin

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Or you could just log on with both accounts and start arguments with yourself. :whistle:

I come to the forum to escape real life, not to duplicate it… :wacko:

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

Hi sjs,

Could you please insert my avatar into my profile.     :unsure:

the reiver

Attachments:

Stella
      Participant
      Hoplite

Ooh, err, sounds painful.,l

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

Wow, that was quick.    reb_bravo Nice to it’s not round ??    😎

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  the reiver.

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

Not too bad Stella. My avatar was too small to upload, and despite my wife working on it for a few days ……. it was still too small.   😆

I thought you’d gone to get a bigger bike for yours until you said it was too big.  Aren’t these devices wonderful ?  :roll:

😎

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Not too bad Stella. My avatar was too small to upload, and despite my wife working on it for a few days ……. it was still too small. 😆 I thought you’d gone to get a bigger bike for yours until you said it was too big. Aren’t these devices wonderful ? :roll: 😎

Ooooo, biting my tongue…. so much I could say to this, but biting my tongue…. the pain, the pain….. blood flowing freely now…… still biting….. :-(

See? I CAN be good sometimes and not get drawn in……. :yahoo:

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

I CAN be good sometimes and not get drawn in……. :yahoo:

I’ll, reluctantly, admit… :-(

I’m impressed reb_bravo

Stella
      Participant
      Hoplite

After another whole day of trying I finally managed to order one of the books the rest of you got for nothing.  I am now seriously exhausted.  Far too tired to actually read the thing.  Modern technology has defeated me and on the Peter Principle I have risen to the level of my own incompetence.

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

Well at least you tried!  :good:

I loved reading ‘the Peter Principle’.

kiwi
      Participant
      Aristotelic

:wacko: ARGH!!!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

No idea what I am doing, but when I clicked on new replies since last visit, it came up with about five topics. I thought to myself, surely that’s not right!  Then I clicked on  (grr can’t remember the heading and can’t go back to it while I am typing). Will have to send this and find out the name of what I chose. I am using iPad. The font is huge, which is ok I guess but my reply fills the entire page and there is no helpful menu anywhere in sight.  I haven’t even thought about finding my old avatar…have no idea where to even look for it. Is there a poll on this new site?  I appreciate the work that must have gone into it and the reduction of spam, but it also needs to be easy enough to enjoy. Enjoyment being the operative word. Personally I feel totally lost and no idea what to do next to read some more posts and with a choice of cleaning the kitchen and trying some more…The kitchen has won.

Edit. It was the Latest Topics I pressed and that gave me a long list that had no bearing to the few I got from the one since last visit. Grr can’t remember the exact wording of the title.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  kiwi.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Yes, there are polls here but you can only put them at the beginning of a new topic.

GiH Admin

kiwi
      Participant
      Aristotelic

Wondering if it’s necessary to show the amount of times a post is edited. Old GIH showed nothing. Personally I prefer it not showing.

So how do you make a poll?
      <h6>Am still drowning in mourning over old GIH.  😥  wonder if it will ever feel as comfortable again.</h6>
      For anyone wondering about the size of my above font, I pressed that wee box with dots  after the smiley face and it came up with the word paragraph, and clicking that gave me Heading 1, 2 etc. I pressed heading 6 and that’s what I got. New discovery.

Lots of nice stuff in the editing and smilies department reb_bravo just finding how to read any posts is the hard part.

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

You’re not alone, Kiwi. I got instructions on how to get to the last post in a thread, (Go to TOPICS VIEWS LISTS and click on “New posts since last visit” but that’s not necessarily the “first unread post”…a function that seems to be gone forever. From that last post, I have to scroll back to see if there are any other new posts ahead of it. And often there are, which would be missed if I didn’t scroll back. Certainly not user friendly at all.

kiwi
      Participant
      Aristotelic

Well as you can see, my clever formatting attemp didn’t work even though I could see it before I submitted, imageand when I tried to do an edit to that post to point out what happened, I couldn’t edit either. I would like to be able to edit at any time. Do others agree? I found my profile pic but couldn’t upload it in profiles. Pushed all the right buttons. Maybe it’s not available again. Will send it to you Sean. I also tried to put it into this post…

Well that uploaded didn’t it…right in the middle of my post.

Attachments:

kiwi
        Participant
        Aristotelic

In the front page, New Posts index, how about it being a bit more comprehensive after each topic to draw you into looking…it all looks so clinical. Maybe a one liner of what was replied, or a name. I think what I find most irritating about the new site is its lack of humanity. It’s all labels and nothing warm and personal. Difficult to describe.

I will find an example somewhere of what I am going on about.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I found my profile pic but couldn’t upload it in profiles. Pushed all the right buttons. Maybe it’s not available again.

Not sure what the problem was; I just uploaded to your profile and it went straight in.

GiH Admin

kiwi
      Participant
      Aristotelic

Thanks Sean. It was probably an iPad glitch or gross imbecility on my part  😀

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Wondering if it’s necessary to show the amount of times a post is edited.

Not at all. When you edit a post there’s a small checkbox which you can untick and under that there’s a space to put why you edited – again optional.

The idea is that you can include some explanatory stuff if you wish.

It’s easy enough to turn off.

GiH Admin

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

I appreciate the need for the new site and the work put in by Sean that have given us all new features. It is still early days and probably much learning to do but I feel there are a number of issues that could do with addressing so wonder if Sean would be content to start a new thread -or add them in here- so we can list concisely those issues to see if they can be actioned? Sean may already have a list but it might be useful too see one and understand which can be done and those that cannot or will not be changed. Perhaps we need to be positive and embrace the change plus have some patience with what is after all a free service.we are experiencing a lack of new posts that are not about the site itself. This might be symptomatic of the new site, the relative calm on the Greek political front (or the fact Kiwi has been doing a Rip Van Winckle impression), people getting to grips with the changes or just lack of interest. However it would be a shame if the interest reduced further owing to a lack of a few tweaks that hopefully Sean was able to implement.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Thanks, that fixes the edit issue.

We used to be able to see how many reads a post got. It was a good indication on how many guests were reading but not responding.

I can’t describe it, but there’s something deathly clinical about the site. Can’t put my finger on it. It’s as if it isn’t alive as before, the friendly bits are missing. Maybe someone else can figure out what’s missing and what I mean.

Example, do we need to all be called participants? It’s cold and lacks a friendly tone. What was wrong with all our nice Greeky labels. Also it was nice to have the info at a glance of when the ‘participants’ had joined etc.

Thinking…it’s a bit of a blokes forum, lacks the frilly bits. Like when a guy furnishes an apartment…it’s functional and works but the sofa lacks a dozen cushions and there isn’t a throw draped over the back of the sofa…does that make sense? 😉

kiwi
      Participant
      Aristotelic

Question… I am missing out on all the new posts I haven’t read. I keep finding stuff that hasn’t shown up as a new post. I notice that every forum heading has sub forums with a ‘subscribe’  button which we never had before. Do we need to click on subscribe in EVERY forum so that when a new post comes in, it registers as an unread one?  It seems that unread posts are not automatically collected and available next time one opens the site. If this is the case then one would need to subscribe to every forum separately. Wouldn’t it be easier if we had a ‘subscribe to all’ button? All the above apples if I understood it correctly which is unlikely…

I just saw your comment re this long thread SJS. Not sure what you mean about starting new thread. Do you mean that every seperate idea needs a seperate subject line and comment?

I’m a chick..we have a dozen ideas all at once. Told you it’s a blokes site. Typical…you fellas can’t multitask like us :-)

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Interesting.

This thread is getting a bit long. So what I suggest is that if you have a suggestion or idea or something, start a NEW thread for that idea in GiH Website Forum.

If we keep one idea per thread then that’ll make it easier to sort out.

GiH Admin

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Question… I am missing out on all the new posts I haven’t read.

Are you checking NEW POSTS SINCE LAST VISIT?

It seems to work well for me – does it miss posts for you? Play with the TOPICS VIEWS LIST to see what you can see.

As for the SUBSCRIBE button, this means you’ll get an email whenever anyone posts a message on the forum you subscribe to. Possibly this means loads of messages so use carefully!

GiH Admin

kiwi
      Participant
      Aristotelic

I was looking at New Posts. I figured that was the right place since I wanted, new posts.

Logically, shouldn’t ‘new posts since last visit’ be up the top with the New Posts… All by itself boldly showing up rather than hidden away half way down the list in the second block of items. It’s a pretty important label and needs to be obvious. Maybe even highlighted with a colour.

Be glad we aren’t married Sean :yahoo:

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I was looking at New Posts. I figured that was the right place since I wanted, new posts. Logically, shouldn’t ‘new posts since last visit’ be up the top with the New Posts… All by itself boldly showing up rather than hidden away half way down the list in the second block of items. It’s a pretty important label and needs to be obvious. Maybe even highlighted with a colour.

Ah, the NEW POSTS just shows the last 4 or 5 new posts… I guess NEW POSTS SINCE LAST VISIT is pretty important though. I personally bookmark that page and go to it by default.

I guess we could make it the default home page for the forum? What do you think?

Be glad we aren’t married Sean :yahoo:

I’ll have to think about that. What are the hours?

GiH Admin

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Suggestion, add curtains round the window…… :heart:   :good:            :whistle:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Not sure if the page needs to be the default but certainly the label of New posts since last visit should be VERY colourfully obvious. So…from a participant I became a Hoplite   :negative:

smited by the great Olympian God from an Oracle to a mere Hoplite…I gave you the best years of my life 😥 Thank your stars we aren’t married. A months sulking for that would be a relief.

kiwi
      Participant
      Aristotelic

Another reason New Posts Since Last Visit needs to be prominent. It’s the most used, and I stick my finger on it via iPad and sometimes hit the line below. I bet the guys with their fat fingers will have the same problem on their tablets.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

And…Kolly is hardly a neophyte. Maybe you need to be reminded of all our statuses. KP was an Oracle. Can’t remember the others and maybe they can remind you.

I must admit it’s good to see those titles back. I wasn’t happy participating as a participant  reb_bravo

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

…the friendly bits are missing….😉

Oh. I’m here… :rose:

I just don’t really have anything useful to contribute :scratch:

Not that that matter has ever stopped me before…. :whistle:

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

Hi sjs, sorry to be a nuisance but now you’ve given Kiwi her avatar back. could you please change mine to this “sharper” version. :yes:

Many thanks, the reiver   😎

82-1

Attachments:

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Hi sjs, sorry to be a nuisance but now you’ve given Kiwi her avatar back. could you please change mine to this “sharper” version. :yes: Many thanks, the reiver 😎

Don’t think he can.

The picture used needs to be (at least) 190 pixels wide, the one you’re providing is but 75 pixels wide.
    He’d have to “blow it up” and the result would be pretty much what you already have… :-(

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Don’t think he can. The picture used needs to be (at least) 190 pixels wide, the one you’re providing is but 75 pixels wide. He’d have to “blow it up” and the result would be pretty much what you already have… :-(

Exactly as he said. I did increase the size and change it and it looks a little sharper, but if you want to post a 200*200 image here that would be fit in nicely.

GiH Admin

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Another reason New Posts Since Last Visit needs to be prominent. It’s the most used, and I stick my finger on it via iPad and sometimes hit the line below. I bet the guys with their fat fingers will have the same problem on their tablets.

The NEW POSTS menu item has been added to the main menu as well. For people with chunky fingers.

If you have really chunky fingers then we might have to add a completely new menu item on its own.

GiH Admin

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Thanks SJ really like the New Posts since last visit at th top menu.

Little Luddite me is getting the hang of the new site !

Mavroloukanika
    Participant
    Neophyte

A tip… If you have fat fingers, just buy

a stylus (Unless you can find one free!) You can poke those hard to get at places & it will save your nail varnish…Ladies also take note ! 😴

the reiver
      Participant
      Oracle

Can’t wait to view your new avatar ! As your new username is closely related to SPAM maybe sjs will not allow it to be used.   :wacko:

😎

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Just an idea. How about a wee ‘Help’ sticky that tells folks how to do certain things, like add a link. Whatever I did by accident trying to insert a YouTube link, got me the actual video imbedded in my post…but then it magically disappeared and left just the link.

Eureka moment…clicked on the ? above in the formatting box. It gives all the shortcuts  :-)  which would be useful if one could remember them.

Reminding you that there are a lot of retirees that could struggle with the new fangled stuff.

Are you sorry yet that you changed anything? You must be exhausted. I am doing my bit to achieve this. :mail:

altohb
    Participant
    Hoplite

Just finding may way around here – good to see the “new posts since last visit” menu item, as it was looking as if no-one had posted for days at one point.

Have had trouble adding an avatar, but will keep working on that!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

:mail: Suggestion… Home page, how about  Καλώς Ήρθατε!

Caps on the second word, not lower case. I couldn’t figure what was not quite right when looking at it.

The font for Home/ forums doesn’t have any presence. ‘Home’ should stand alone bold  or as a nice button IMHO…it’s an important label that leads you to the Board.

Any news about where the Sign In box is?  I couldn’t find it trying from another computer and so others won’t be able to get in.

I appreciate you must be tearing your hair out with all this…just say if you want me to shut up with the ideas and I will get back to making curtains in my own place  :-)

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

:mail: Suggestion… Home page, how about Καλώς Ήρθατε! Caps on the second word, not lower case. I couldn’t figure what was not quite right when looking at it.

Yes, that’s a decent idea. Done.

The font for Home/ forums doesn’t have any presence. ‘Home’ should stand alone bold or as a nice button IMHO…it’s an important label that leads you to the Board.

It’s the top of the list; not sure changing the font would improve the look.

Any news about where the Sign In box is? I couldn’t find it trying from another computer and so others won’t be able to get in.

Ah – if you are logged in then the menu item LOGIN disappears (after all, you don’t need it. Instead you see LOGOUT.

Alternatively, if you are not logged in you’ll see a menu item LOGIN instead.

GiH Admin

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Suggestion. On mobile ‘text’ area could do with being bigger but also text on sidebar menu. Is it possible to increase the text area, reducing sidebar width, increasing it’s text size and wrapping around lines if needed. Tried increasing tablet text sizes to no effect.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Query. New posts since last visit did not show up the urge post latest but definitely had not seen/read. Could this be a fault?

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I also seem to be missing new posts and find them from trolling through the site.

Login was not there when I typed in the GIH address on Mr Kiwis laptop which I have never logged into. I just tried it again now and it simply opens the white welcome page with the board topics.

I am not signed in on his laptop.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I don’t think I have ever seen a website with a combined Home/forums button. It has no self importance or difference in font size to give it prominence.

HOME should be just that. Maybe a little house icon as many sites use. After all when you click on Home…you automatically reach forums.

🏠 needs to be bigger but I can’t do it

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Info: just noticed that the new posts since last visit might be computer dependent? Logged in last night on my pc and checked posts and posted then logged out. Today logging in on tablet new posts since last visit shows same “new” posts and also my own post of last night. Could this be the same cause as Kiwi experiences with login query she has from multiple machines?

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Very possibly – I’ll have to check but it could well be a cookie dropped onto the computer to keep track of when you were last here.

GiH Admin

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Please…figure out a way to make it easy to navigate back to the new posts after finishing reading the first one in the list. I’m finding it cumbersome and difficult to navigate around and often feel like giving up when it gets too long. Maybe there could be a side menu I’m stumped to know what you can do to facilitate this. It’s difficult to put into words. Is anyone else having the same problem.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I’m not sure I understand, Kiwi. Are you talking about new posts since you last visited? Can’t you just click the BACK button in your browser to go to the previous page you were on? Or the NEW POSTS SINCE LAST VISIT which will list all the new posts?

GiH Admin

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

Indeed we have to use the BACK button, but when one has been looking at 2 or more pages it is quite alot of pushing the BACK button  :wacko:

Didn’t dare go to ‘new posts since last visit’ again as I hadn’t read all of the posts yet.

So, if I didn’t use the BACK button but the ‘new posts since last visit’ are those new posts still there???

Didn’t dare try it yet, would be missing many posts if they weren’t  :negative:

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Try the “new posts” again; they usually stay there for a while.

Or do what I do – go to NEW POSTS and use Ctl-click to open each one in a new tab.

GiH Admin

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Note to self: must find out if I can/how to use ctr+click on tablet. From experience the site works a lot better on PC (windows) than tablet (Android).

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Tablets are pretty fiddly for the internet all round! You can try touching and holding the link for a second or so and a menu pops up saying “open in new window” – well it does on my tablet (not sure about others).

GiH Admin

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Yep does on mine too but have’nt found a way to open all yet…….

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Yep does on mine too but have’nt found a way to open all yet…….

On a tablet that’s not possible; none of the browsers currently support it. It’s a pain but that is one issue which is up to the powers-that-be to sort out.

GiH Admin

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I use an iPad nearly all the time now. As Alien says, it’s a lot of going back on the back button sometimes if there are a few pages, and what I found was that at some stage the back button stops going back and doesn’t take me to the New Posts where I had started from. No idea why.

Wouldnt it be nice if the list of new posts was on one side of the page, in a side bar. Maybe it’s very different on a laptop or PC. I will try and post a snap of what my page looks like on this iPad. After I have typed this and submitted.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I  screen shot my page after I submitted the above post, then a random page from a gardening forum, so you can see how little information I see on a GIH page. It’s so clean that there is nothing to entice me to click . The gardening page has direction. It’s difficult to describe, but I just wish my GIH page was not so barren of direction labels and choices.imageimage

dont know why it posted twice for the first image

Attachments:

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I’m not a 100% sure what you mean. What do you want to see after you’ve posted?

GiH Admin

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I want to see buttons that will take me to other posts etc.  Compare the two websites and you can see how much information is available to a poster to click on in the example, and how little in buttons is on the page of GIH. Also I don’t know why GIH looks so big. It’s the only website that I open that has such a large font and fills the page. The screen shots show the differences.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I still don’t get it. From what I see in the garden website there are no links to any other posts.

In the menu we have here it links to loads of other posts.

Sorry if I’m being dense here but I’m confused about what exactly you want to see. Links to which posts?

GiH Admin

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I’m not the only one in here. If others find the navigation and reading of new posts easy to use and get pleasure from it as is, then I must shut up. I  don’t like being negative.

For me it’s tiresome, and very frustrating. I get sick of swiping around trying to figure out what has been read or not and often going back to the same posts I’ve already read. Personally, it’s not enjoyable any more. Maybe for others with laptops it’s a different experience.

I’m off to watch Mr Selfridge now.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

It might be that the functionality you are looking for is just not available in the new system. And please see note I added on Like thread to help understand. Here clicking on new p.s.l.visit does not always seem to work as well as the old site. We are here presented with a list of threads and their pages plus the date/time. That is fine for me if I know that it was,say, six hours since I last logged out -I can select those that I believe I have not read – otherwise especially using more than one device it can be a bit hit and miss. So, assuming I find a thread that has been added to since last visit one cannot tell where, in the pages of the thread, the first unread post lies. Hope that helps. :rose:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Additionally if one has not visited for some time and there is a long thread there could be many pages to open to find and pick up from where one was reading so as to be able to follow the thread of the conversation for example if I had not been on the site for several week and posts had been added to a many page 30+ thread it is very useful to be able to go automatically directly to the pertinent page and have the window scroll to the first newer post.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Further to my comment some time back that the New Posts since last visit log seems to be machine dependent.

I came on here tonight intending to upload my pic that KP so much misses but have been distracted firstly by some wacky Purple keyboarder for seven minutes :yahoo: and then trying to look at any new posts today since I last logged in. I think you will agree that was earlier today – on my tablet incidentally. I have now logged in on PC and New Posts since last logged in are showing very old posts ( well 3 days at least)….so that was not when I last logged in. see screenshot. I presume then that this is machine dependent in that a cookie is installed on participants machine(s) thus giving erroneous data. Not so on old site. Can this be modified Sean?

Attachments:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

eh? pic uploaded. No animation now on the animated gif? 😥

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Unfortunately kolly it doesn’t look like it can get any better than what it is. Its just too hard to follow and being an impatient person, I just lose interest and give up.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

crikey Kiwi, give the man a chance! :yes:   he has not said the facility is there yet or even possible! :whistle:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

On, sorry didn’t mean to shout and even posted on wrong thread……..doh……..was responding about new posts of the first unread variety……. :scratch:

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Very odd !  All of a sudden I couldn’t log in anymore. My username & password were saved so all ought to have been ok. When trying to log in everything seemed fine, but I was getting that annoying photo match thingy at each log in attempt…No problem there, but when I tried to reply to a thread, there was just the message that I needed to log in !  Anyway changed password yet again so all seems ok for now.

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

…Up date – can log in on my laptop with the new password, but when I try with the ipad using the new password, still can’t log in at all !

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Very cool avatar sundodge.  Hope sjs will see your post and help out soon.

Wonder when we will get our Private messages back again.

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

I am using an iPad which is a bit like a double whammy as both the iPad and the site are new to me and a struggle to use.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Bravo Stella. You will enjoy the iPad once you are familiar. The most important thing I learned when using the iPad at first was how to find a page I was on that I somehow swiped out of existence, especially when I was trying to fill out a form. It was almost scary. As long as you know that the flat home button that sits in the middle right of the frame is what you press to find all your open pages again , you will be fine, but you probably know that already.

Does GIH fill the entire page with a very large font on your iPad as mine does? It’s the only website that does this.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

1 Ditto sundodge. I just got the same problem as you. Went to look at  some of the unanswered posts and when I wanted to reply the ‘you need to login’ box came on. I had never logged out and had always used a shortcut to the new posts page. Had to scramble through my emails to find my password.

2  When will we be able to private message again?

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Yes, the font is larger than any other site I use.  Maybe I would be better using a different computer but apart from this site, I am very pleased with my iPad which was a 70th birthday present from my husband.

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Finally cracked it…Now using iPad to post!   Like you Stella it was a present.. A belated Christms one from the kids – Never would have bought one personally, always thought them to be a waste of time! Now however,we are joined at the hip…Siri is cool as well, get more sense out of it (Her) than the wife !  :yahoo:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Haha sundodge. Ask Siri to marry you…you may be surprised at the answer. I haven’t even unpacked my laptops since my return, will probably not know how to use them anymore. I keep swiping and tapping at Mr Kiwis laptop.

Hang in there Stella. You will fast learn it. Will try and find a great site to give you that teaches you tricks.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I have a very red bell on the bottom right of my page that is refusing to go away.

I have read and answered my pm. Great to have it back  :yahoo:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Ok, I deleted my two pms and now the bell has gone. One pm told me I had received one point. Is there a cash back on these B-)

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Grr that bell is back again.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

The bell is very enthusiastic but I’ve toned it down a bit. It only shows when someone messages you or replies to a topic you started here.

GiH Admin

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Good that it has an x next to each message to delete it.

Am I imagining or is the blue on here deeper?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.