Need bank help.

Forums Dealing with Greece Practicalities Need bank help.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Stella 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Hi, I am about to open a bank account and I am sure there was something here that said a certain bank had English as an option for their online banking.

I have had a look but cannot find anything. Does anybody know which bank has this possibility please?

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

Eurobank has an English web site

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

So do Alpha and National Bank of Greece.  I rather think that opening an account during these days of capital controls is not going to be as easy as it once was.  Recently a friend needed a Greek bank account in order to apply for residence permit necessary for the purchase of a car.  With great difficulty he obtained an account at NBG which could not be activated until he had imported in excess of 10,000 euros from a country other than Greece.  Of course he now can take out only 60 euros a day from his Greek account.

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Thank you for that Stella. My chunk o cash will go to buy a flat so there won’t be a lot left in it.

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Incidentally Alpha Bank has a password which does not need to be changed, if you go with NBG you have to change the password every two months.  Piraeus Bank also has an online banking facility but although this is my own bank, I cannot cope with the website which incidentally is in both Greek and English.
    Good luck with whichever one you go for!

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Thanks for that NBG is out as I have trouble with one password without having to change it all the time. Good for security though.

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

I may be alone in this comment but I had an account with ALPHA bank some years back and found them without exception to have the worst service possible, including extremely rude staff…..

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Oh dear, that is bad to hear, maybe I will try Pireaus then.

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

I’ve been with Alpha for ten years, in Tripoli. No problems yet. Guess it just depends on where you are.

russellsnr
    Participant
    Hoplite

Another vote for ALPHA bank. Been with them about 9 years and always helpful in my local branch on Rhodes

Russ

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Well just tried to open at Alpha but was told I need to show what my annual pension is, although I showed them a letter from pension people stating the monthly amount I am getting, plus I have to go to a tax office to get another paper. I wish it were a little simpler.

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

Probably need to quantify my comments as we must not “tar all with the same brush”..My experiences are related to the Kalamata branch  .

Rules might have changed but when I opened my account with Eurobank I just showed my passport……..

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

YES SAME HERE GROCER. Eurobank have been great with us.

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

I think since the bank crisis it has all changed. You can only start a new bank account with 10000eurs.

I guess this to keep the riff raff out oh and all the school leavers lucky enough to get a job.

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Yes, and the NBG would not accept the money in cash which surprised me.  It had to be shown to be imported from another country.  Years ago tax number, passport and a few euros were all that was required.  Now each bank has a different hoop through which to jump.  I have just had to renew my debit card with Piraeus.  I was asked for my retirement papers.  I don’t even know what they are!  Then I had to show my tax return which fortunately I had taken with me.  I queued at three different work stations and then for the atm to activate the card.  All this took up an entire morning.  Such is life here!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.