Name it anyone?

Forums Out & About in Greece Around the Country Name it anyone?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  The Grocer 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

quite pretty !

headButterfly 1.jpg[/attachment:3v3pim0t]

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

Absolutely pretty!

Ha, ha, probably you want to know the name of this beauty. No idea.

How long or how many pictures did you make before this one????
    When I want pics of butterflies etc. they always close the wings đŸ˜•

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I think it’s a type of moth. It also looks unreal. Did you take the pic grocer? In Greece I met a guy in Thess who catalogued thousands of species of Greek butterfly. Poor guy didn’t have a degree and he was shunned, but I saw the book he made and it was amazing.

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

Honestly took the pic this morning, yes it was the third effort !! :)

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Try this website https://www.projectnoah.org/missions/64566136 lots on here, it’s late and bedtime otherwise I would have a search. Maybe you can send it in. I think they call that kind of tail a sword tail.very unusual though.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Any luck grocer? At least you can be proud of your skills. Maybe get some more butterfly and nature shots as good, and make into a calendar for presents at Christmas etc.

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

Maybe it isn’t a butterfly or moth at all, but a dragonfly??

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Wish I could claim to have spotted what it is but cannot and must give credit to Mrs Kolly too – if we are correct.

As I looked closely at the photo I thought it did not look like a butterfly or moth but more like a dragonfly with vestigial wings. However I could not find any photos that were similar. Mrs K with her old fashioned method (a hard copy forerunner of the World wide web) wondered if it might be a damsel fly but no……

Moreover she possible came up with the goods identifying it probably as a lacewing, shown in the Collins gem insect book as a Nemoptera sinuata. Prevalent in SE Europe in May, 70mm long with wingspan of 60mm.

Picture I found links to a web page with a slight variation called a spoonwing or threadwing and you can see it at http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2011/06/21/spoonwing/ seemingly the ‘second’ wings are not vestigial wings at all!
    That site does throw up a few doubts as there is another lacewing very similar and visually is the same.
    …….so a bit inconclusive after all that but it seems to be not a butterfly!

Hey see that Alien stealing some of my thunder whilst I’m busy doing all that research ic_shock :nod: :)) :))

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Definitely the same looking picture Kolly. I was also searching under dragonflies but had no results. It was a good learning experience though. Thanks grocer for the chance to expand our minds. reb_bravo

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

Well done Mr & Mrs Kolly, I think you got it !
    cheers guys…………………

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.