Moving to and Living in Rhodes

Forums Living in Greece Meet & Greet Moving to and Living in Rhodes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  kiwi 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author

WriterArtist
    Participant
    Hoplite

Hello fellow Grecophiles! New here with a request.  Is there anyone here who lives in Rhodes, say, Rhodes town or wherever? What’s it like? We hear it is a healthy place to live with its amazing climate.  We are seriously considering moving there to take an early retirement. Any advice. tips and retrospective memories worth mentioning much appreciated! :good:   Also; is it viable to ship over in a container all your worldly goods, bearing in mind the cost?  B-)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

No experience with Rhodes but a couple of Dutch friends of mine sent over all their belongings in a 40-footer (years ago).

If that can be shipped to remote North Evoia then Rhodes should be easy.

WriterArtist
    Participant
    Hoplite

Thanks for that; we have been warned not to share a container, as if there is something dodgy in the other folk’s load, it can mean you too lose all your stuff too, if the port police find something.  It happened to a family and they had to replace it all; especially sad as most of their memorabilia and personal stuff got lost too.  Some say get rid of everything and just re-stock. Not sure I could do that as  we own an art collection and loads of ceramics, etc, etc!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

I brought all my stuff (including two horses) over in a truck.

I had the same feeling, couldn’t just get rid of everything; especially since there are some, centuries old, family heirlooms and portraits among it.

SandT
    Participant
    Hoplite

Hope you achieve your dream, but first I’d suggest you rent a house & try a winter BEFORE shipping all your worldy goods to Greece. Also read helpful information and entertaining blogs from fellow writer John Manuel who did move to Rhodes & has also written several books about his travels in Greece before and experiences since moving.  See http://ramblingsfromrhodes.blogspot.gr/

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Thanks sandt, that is a mighty good blog. I enjoyed reading You are quite right, anyone wanting to ke there should read it. Good advice in t.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.