Let’s play…Mornington Crescent

Forums Greece is Home Website Test Bed Let’s play…Mornington Crescent

This topic contains 51 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Chanchi 6 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Currently, there seems to be nothing better to do than whine about the lack of activity, and since the demise of Pictorial Word Association (through lack of discipline), and Communal Poetry (through lack of talent) I think it may be time to try something simpler. I therefore suggest a round or two of that old favourite “Mornington Crescent”
    Since everyone has their own versions of this classic game, we will play by South East (or Armitage) rules. ie no doubles, no shuffles, no Nid. We can always introduce these for later games.
    Please keep any challenges specific and sensible. To anyone who thinks it funny to challenge with the old “south of the river” gag: it isn’t! We’ve all heard it every game since primary school!

As nobody has declared (obviously – how could they?) I will start by playing
    Wood Green

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

OK, I am prepared to humour you, but quite frankly I don’t think that you have a snowflake in hells chance of getting this one off the ground, we will see………………so I am saying…South Harrow 😆

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

It is said that the greatest probability of failure lies with giving up. I therefore thank you for your support, and play a traverse to
    Waterloo

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

Ideal I think !!

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

@The Grocer wrote:

Old Street

OOooh! Wicked!
    Methinks we have a ringer in our midst?

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I know it’s early in the game and I know that I’m being cheeky here, but I’m going to play Cockfosters anyway. Get out of that one!

GiH Admin

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSOR2jGv2uc[/youtube:2m3zx0kb]

You’ll need to do better than that!

Yes, I’m playing Seven Sisters

elainetucker
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi All,

Sad I know….. but humour me…. how do you play this? ic_confused

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

I haven’t figured it out either, Elaine.

okay…I just googled it. Afraid I’ve never been to London, and don’t have a map. So, this is a game for only the few who have?

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

Well…well…well !! Mr Dayglow, you achieved what I was beginning to think was impossible you have brought SJS out of hiding :roll:

on with the game then Cockfosters to Seven Sisters to ……….. EUSTON

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

Now wasn’t one of the Beverley sisters “”Barbie””

Barbi-can………….

">

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

….but then all seven were ANGELS

">

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Euston to Barbican? I’m afraid I’ll have to challenge you on this. The 1978 Conference (held in 1997 I believe) determined this to be an utterly illegal move and completely ungentlemanly as well.

Sorry, but you forfeit your turn and drop 3 pads into the bargain. I’ll take over Euston and go from there to Aldgate East (via Barons Court before you ask).

GiH Admin

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ah-Ha! The old Barons Court diversion.
    The only reasonable move is Bank, so I’ll play
    Tooting Bec

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

Grocer is out of order!!! I agree with sjs an infringement of the rules is blatant….invoke no doubles, no shuffles, and certainly a Nid. :nod:

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

😳

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

@nimbus wrote:

Grocer is out of order!!! I agree with sjs an infringement of the rules is blatant….invoke no doubles, no shuffles, and certainly a Nid. :nod:

This ^ reb_bravo

but perhaps we can allow a little leeway in game #1? Since things are moving nicely, I suggest we call “Bodgers” and continue from Tooting Bec

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Well since it is the first game, Bodgers it is then and I’ll play Tooting Broadway (ok, obvious really but with Shoreditch closed on Sundays there’s not a lot of choice here).

GiH Admin

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

I “”will”” get the hang of this game !!! :angry:

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Tooting Broadway?? 😆 😆
    I can almost feel half a dozen players just waiting for Shoreditch to reopen tomorrow morning.

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

WATERLOO !!!

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Huh?
    erm…erm…
    Parsons Green?

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

The Rules.

Starting move.
    The first player may choose any station within zones 3 to 6 which is neither a main-line station or an underground intersection.
    Eg. Leyton is a legal first move; Stratford is not as it is both a main line station and an underground intersection. Likewise no station between Bromley-by-Bow and Braking is a legal starting move as all are on both the District and the Hammersmith and City lines

After the first move the following rules apply:

1.Play continues from the last station to be played.
    Eg. If Leyton is called as first move, the next player must make a legal move beginning from Leyton.

2.A player may move from any main-line station within the map to any other main-line station within the map that is within the same zone as the original main-line station.
    Eg. Paddington to Old Street is fine as they are both zone 1 (see main-line jumps to different lines rule) Queens Park to Old Street is not as Queens park is zone 2.

3.Each turn a player may move between zones once OR change lines at an intersection once OR travel across a main-line station once.
    So legal moves from our example of Leyton include:
    Bethnal Green but not Liverpool street
    (Bethnal green is a move from zone 3 to zone 2 via the central line. Liverpool street is also central line but would be a change of 2 zones, zone 3 to zone 1)

West Acton but not Acton Town
    (reached via Stratford main-line to Ealing Broadway main-line the whole move to West Acton is in Zone 3 AND on the Central Line. Acton Town is also Zone 3 and reachable from Ealing Broadway, but also requires a change from Central Line to District Line)

Canning town but not Prince Regent
    (Canning town is a straight change at Stratford onto the Jubilee Line, Prince Regent would be a straight change at Stratford onto the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) but requires going through zone 2 and back out to zone 3)

4.When a player ends his turn on an intersection the next player may choose which of the available lines he or she is on.

5.When a player ends his turn on a main-line station the next player may choose to jump to a new main-line station from his starting position (Zone rules still apply) before choosing which line he or she is on.

6.Main-line jumps to different lines: When jumping to a legal station which is not on the same underground line as you original (as in the example Paddington to Old street), your move ends at the new main-line station ie. in the example it would be Old Street

7.First player to Mornington Crescent wins 😛

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Surely though we’re playing Central Standard Amended Rules?!

Nobody seriously talks about Prince Regent these days and were we playing that then at least 3 of the moves thus far in the game would be considered Extras and thus liable to forfeiture of advantage!

GiH Admin

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Are you kidding !!! ???? !!!!

Its 40 degrees in the shade – my brain is boiling !

I lost track of the rules after the second sentence.

There must be an easier game to play – I-Spy , or Snap or something !!

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

Like I said…it’s a game for people who are either familiar with London or have a map. I’ll pass on this one. And it’s not at all entertaining to “watch”. :roll:

Pappa Ouzo
    Participant
    Neophyte

So Boring :retard: :retard: :retard:

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

@Pappa Ouzo wrote:

So Boring :retard: :retard: :retard:

Would a game of Strip Mornington Crescent spice up your life?

GiH Admin

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Parsons Green

Chanchi
    Participant
    Neophyte

Dayglo you cant go from Tooting Bec to parsons green! not even on same line! Cheat!!! :p

headimages.jpg[/attachment:1ynq0eh5]

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

CHEAT?
    CHEAT?
    I’ll give you feckin’ cheat…

Chanchi
    Participant
    Neophyte

SPOILSPORT!!

:finger: 😆

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Damn you, and damn you again DGS!

I just never saw that coming; I thought you’d Repeat a Quandary and go for Earl’s Court leaving me with a Clear Prospect and thus victory.

GiH Admin

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

GAME #2

@Chanchi wrote:

SPOILSPORT!!

:finger: 😆

Zat ees fighting talk! I challenge you to ze duel!
    Go fetch your rapier, and…

Chanchi
    Participant
    Neophyte

A duel it is !! Avast me hearties!

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Shiver Me Timbers!

Aaar-CHWAY

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

UNDERNEATH THE ARCHES EH !!…………….

Chanchi
    Participant
    Neophyte

Play Nice…………KINGSBURY Rules 😆

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

I’d expect nothing less, since we are
    ALL SAINTS

Chanchi
    Participant
    Neophyte

And I am of course The……….

:mrgreen:

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hmmm…The Angel, Islington

2!
    One…Two!
    EUSTON
    I’ll buy that for £100

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Yaaaaaawwwwn

Exciting ere, innit? :roll:

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

BZZZ…Challenge KP: Deviation.

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@KP wrote:

Yaaaaaawwwwn

Well to paraphrase something a bearded guy in sandals said when he was wandering around Israel a few thousand years ago…..” forgive him Lord he knows not what he says”.

I mean the guy has obviously never heard of “I am sorry I will say that again” or even the sainted Humphrey Lyttelton….yes I know its hard to comprehend but such people do exist, so rejoice believers and be thankful that you are not amongst their numbers :roll:

Wheezer
    Participant
    Neophyte

Wasn’t it: I’m sorry I’ll READ that again…..
    Radio show…….

Chanchi
    Participant
    Neophyte

@KP wrote:

Yaaaaaawwwwn

Moan, moan, moan….KP I think the heat is getting to you, drink more fluids Victor! I take away my wobbling breasts to allieviate the irritation to your eyes but is that enough ? no :roll:

Ti na kano ic_confused

you are therefore banished to……………………..

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Chanchi wrote:

Moan, moan, moan….KP I think the heat is getting to you, drink more fluids Victor! I take away my wobbling breasts to allieviate the irritation to your eyes but is that enough ? no

Ti na kano

On with the game…

Chanchi
    Participant
    Neophyte

More ammunition to fire eh????

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Since we are still (vaguely) in touch with Nimbus’ posting of the rules, I shall stay within zone 1, and use all three possible connections to go, return and rego(?) to
    Paddington

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@nimbus wrote:

OK, I am prepared to humour you, but quite frankly I don’t think that you have a snowflake in hells chance of getting this one off the ground, we will see………………so I am saying…South Harrow 😆

Well what did I tell you ! see it only made 4 pages and 49 postings! perhaps you will take notice of what I say next time Mr Dayglow 8)

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Accepted. I bow to your awesome clairvoyance.

I shall return to my secret laboratory, from whence shall emerge a great entertainment to consume the forum, Greece and take over the World!!

Nya-ha-haaaa!

Chanchi
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ahhhh Dayglo you sunk my battle ship…..again :p

Sorry I didn’t get back to continue have had a very hectic time, had to take my son to the hospital yet again but at least this time we got somewhere and solved our mould problem at the same time :))

We are moving to a mould free house! Doc says my son has mould allergy was all I needed to hear ….now to tell the landlord ic_shock

I await your new experiment :unibrow:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.