Improved site

Forums Greece is Home Website GIH Website Improved site

This topic contains 30 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  kiwi 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

What does everyone think now of the latest changes. That wonderful sidebar that has put a sticky plaster over all my GIH frustrations. I really like it now.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

:yahoo:

GiH Admin

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Well, since I only use my laptop for checking GIH that wonderful sidebar has been available to me from day one. :good:

But I see how it can be frustrating having to do without it. Lucky for you our illustrious leader has, in his benevolence, decided the time was ripe for you to enjoy the benefits of having a sidebar too… reb_bravo :rose:

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

Interesting to see how much yelling and screaming protests were needed for any changes to be made. I long ago gave up on the original request. A “Go To First UNREAD post” button.  Maybe I should have kept screaming.  :wacko:

margarita
    Participant
    Neophyte

A “Go To First UNREAD post” button. Maybe I should have kept screaming. :wacko:

I believe one did appear briefly. I agree, it is still very much needed

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

What is a sidebar and where should I be seeing it?  I have the feeling that my experience is not the same as others.  Is it because I am no good with the iPad or have I not got the settings I should have?

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

hope you can see the shot of my iPad, showing the blue side bar menu. I never had it until a few days ago. I can’t figure why some would and some wouldn’t. Maybe sjs will know.

I have sent other screen shots in the past without that side bar.

In case you don’t know how Stella,  to take an iPad screen shot of what you see, you just press the on off button at the side…at the SAME time as pressing your round home button. It should make a camera click.  Then you go to your photos and it should be in there. Maybe you can send us a screen shot so we know what you can see. Sounds very strange that some have a side bar and others don’t.

Dont dance around just yet sjs…I was just so grateful to have the sidebar that I haven’t whinged about anything else. Am sure there are some tweaks needed :mail:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Margarita try what I suggested in another thread. When you click on a new post, there is a time stamp in blue font with the name of the last poster at the top right. Example…it could read,

‘ this topic has six voices and was last updated by kiwi 10 minutes ago.’

Click on that time stamp instead of scrolling to the end of the thread. It will take you to that last post and then you can scroll back if there is more than one reply.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Just to add that it looks different depending on the method you use in opening the thread…rule of thumb, don’t click on the name as it will just take you to the profile, click on the time stamp, example on ‘two hours three minutes ago.’

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

imageOk, so I do not have a sidebar, how do I find one?  This is what I am seeing.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

sjs – GiH Admin
      Keymaster
      Aristotelic

The sidebar “disappears” and moves UNDER the main content if the screen is too narrow.

First question: do you have your iPad in portrait or landscape view?

GiH Admin

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I see what you mean. That’s the way mine was until a few days ago and I feel your frustration. I was going nuts with it and HATED it!  Sjs needs to figure this one out.

the only thing I have changed is that with my iPad I updated to IOS 9 and after that I got a side bar.

If you are using iPad, then go to your device settings button, and click on General, and then click update to see if there is an update to download. If there is one, just click on it and let it run its course, don’t touch it till it’s finished downloading and turning itself on and off a couple times, and don’t start the upgrade unless your device is well charged so it doesn’t run out of battery half way through the upgrade.

sjs! You need to help on this one since others are obviously going to have the same problem.

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Landscape.  I can try portrait to see if it makes a difference but I am more comfortable with landscape format.

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Just tried and also applied the update but still no sidebar.  I give up!

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Have you tried shrinking the screen zoom size a bit?

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Actually yes I have but it made no difference?  What am I doing wrong and are others having the same problem and just given up? I don’t want to be at all defeatist but this is beginning to bug me.

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

reb_bravo Well, knock me down with a feather – just logged on and there is the sidebar!  Now that is what I call an improvement.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Yay! Now enjoy it Stella. It really is a huge improvement over no sidebar. Now if he can iron out a few other tiddlywinks bits all will be well. The likes need improvement, as domino says, it’s nice to know who gave the kudos.

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

I still do not have the option of starting a new topic – there is nowhere that I can see this, but progress indeed!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Did you follow what I wrote in the other thread? Just follow it closely and you will see it. Unfortunately the words, ‘new topic’are very small. Almost unable to differentiate them, that’s why you can’t see them.

Take note sjs

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Sorry to be obtuse but now cannot find the other thread so do not know where to look.

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

Stella,

It’s two topics down from this one and titled “create a new post” by the ever reliable Kolofarthos.

😎

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Reiver, next time you see me please show me how to find two topics down as I don’t seem to have that option on my iPad!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Ok Stella go to the sidebar and click on reply to new topic thread in the new posts section. I have the explanation there.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Sjs my red bell is displaying a long list of read posts, even though they have been marked as read. Any fix?

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Something’s wrong with the like button sjs. On the medical thread, it shows three people liked my post as soon as I posted it, also the one before that seem to have the same people liking.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Something’s wrong with the like button sjs. On the medical thread, it shows three people liked my post as soon as I posted it, also the one before that seem to have the same people liking.

Yes, I know. Very annoying it is. It was “upgraded” and didn’t work.

I’ve taken it offline for the time being.

GiH Admin

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

You’re saying that it’s unlikely that people would like your post? :whistle:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Lol Ian.

I can’t like you now because the button has gone…but…I still love the side bar!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I tried to post something and pressed submit and nothing happened. Wonder why.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

That worked ok. It happened when I started a new post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.