I didn't think it would be this cold.

Forums Living in Greece Daily Life I didn't think it would be this cold.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  kiwi 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Although the weather has been good outside, inside the flat I am staying in is freezing and am huddled around a calor gas heater.

Apparently the building will not pay to have the central heating on  so it is like living in a fridge.

I go to cafes and sit in the sun and sit like an iguana soaking up the rays to get my old bones warm.

It is going to be colder later this week so I think I may stay in bed.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

There is no insulation in the older places. Our place in Thess was like that in winter. More like a morgue. We bought some oil filled heaters that had a fan to blow out the air. They soon heated up the living room. I also suggest you go to one of the markets, and buy yourself some fleece pajamas. They are cheap maybe about 7 euro, but are so cosy! Thick fleece is the warmest thing you can wear. The markets have warm slippers and socks too.

Gas heaters make for a damp kind of heat. Until I bought an electric blanket to heat the bed before I got in, I used a hot water bottle and that helped a lot. Two more months and it will be over. Athens has a brilliant climate but winters can have snow too. Think warm thoughts  :yes:

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

…buy yourself some fleece pajamas…

They may be cosy but they’re very effective killers of any form of sex-life too… :negative:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

There are some very pretty fleece nighties if pajamas are not acceptable Ian. Frozen bells won’t make for a great sex life either :yahoo:

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

It snowed in Athens today. Nothing serious but snow never the less and my cold has returned. Nose like a running tap.  😥  😥

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Frozen bells won’t make for a great sex life either :yahoo:

Don’t know :scratch:

But I have some good memories involving ice-cubes.. :whistle:

Mmm, maybe check the freezer later…

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

oil filled heaters

We have an oil filled radiator (from Carrefour) in the bedroom which has three power settings and a “volume” switch. We have it one the lowest settings and let it just tick over all night.  Keeps the room comfortably warm.   :-) Last week we were watering the garden (no rain for December) but now have snow all around us here in Mani after a night of rain and very cold wind. Happy New Year         😎

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Ah so sad to hear you have a water shortage, Reiver. Last night will make up a little. Perhaps you would care for some good Borders heat and precipitation? Hawick would be glad to send you some, as well as many other low lying or riverside locations across the whole of Northern UK! Jo should have moved North for some heat. No mention by Sunnyboy of the temp on the balcony…….just what is going on this winter? :scratch: :unsure:

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

Hawick

I’m a Galalean ! 18 miles from the above place that we don’t talk about.   :negative:

Spoke to Sunny at Lidl in Messini on Tuesday and he’s fine but not reading GiH much.  :unsure: 😎

😎

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Down by the sea in Kalamata today it’s 17. So not cold, but very wet.

Our friends from Poliani up in the mountains from us, are in England so we drive up to check on their cat. It’s -5 and snowing now, yet last week we were walking the pooch up there in t shirts.

Our Aussie friend who has an orange grove told us this year was first for 23 years he had to water the trees.

To cap it all off, Shila found a tortoise in the olive grove yesterday !

Too confusing !!!!!

Jo, is there a chance you can get a wood burner for your flat ? We rented a place and the chimney was routed out of a window, which was easily replaced when we left. Our little wood burner here keeps 90% of our house warm, so economical !

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

I am getting a flat with a fireplace for sure. It doesn’t help that when this move was started it was February, so I packed all the winter clothes and on Ryanair you can just about get a pair of pants and a toothbrush in the carry on.

WriterArtist
    Participant
    Hoplite

Did anyone know that chilli peppers really do warm you up and activate the ‘brown’ fat in your body, which heats up, burns calories and acts like thermal underwear?  In the winter sprinkle some Tabasco or chilli powder over every meal. Tabasco is excellent on scrambled eggs by the way.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I shall remember that one. I am perpetually cold.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.