How good is your Greek?

Forums The Greek Language Greek How good is your Greek?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  javier 5 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Just to get an idea of people here, how good is your Greek?

GiH Admin

kris
    Participant
    Neophyte

ok, it seems a fair number of us have fairly decent handle on the language… me not included [:I]

I’m wondering, how did you do it? Living w/ a Greek? tutor? class… or just jump in with no choice but to sink or swim?

I’m not living in Greece yet (July) but it all seems a little overwhelming at this point. I’m in the survival only crowd, but I’m not even sure it’s as good as that. It’s not non-existent but… I could tell you ‘bless you’ if you sneezed and I know when I’m being told to ‘sit and eat’ [:D] Other basics included – but not sure what I could survive w/ what I know. ;p

Anyways, I’m just curious.. I have been suprised w/ what I retain from each prior trip — but I am sure my boyfriends mother will not understand why I don’t know Greek yet fresh off the plane [;)]

K

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I’m pretty useless at languages so I’ve only managed to pick it up as I go along. My grammar is poor but I can rabbit on like it doesn’t matter.

Curiously I find that as my Greek improved I was perceived as being closer to the country. When I started they said I was obviously English. Then someone I spoke to thought I was German. Then Austrian. Then someone thought I was Albanian in the way I spoke. Then Greek-American or Greek-Australian.

I think they were being kind. We took some lessons back in the UK but I didn’t learn much I think – only now we’re having to speak to people on a daily basis does it seem to be coming together. One thing I feel pleased about is that no one immediately tries to speak to me in English so they assume I understand what they’re saying even if the reality is far from it!

GiH Admin

Carmen
    Participant
    Neophyte

I went to an intensive course at the University of Athens (almost 1 year, 4 hours a day, 4 days a week) plus spent the same hours on excercises at home… and after I had survived that, I spoke the language :-)

http://www.nglt.uoa.gr/index_en.html

Carmen

joujou
    Participant
    Neophyte

Five “perfect Greek” votes. Betting that they correspond to five born and bred Greeks seems like a nice bargain. BUT I WON’T DO IT! [:)]

Joujou (who is back!)

Unknown
    Participant
    Neophyte

OK I admit that’s how I did it. [:I]

Can’t speak for the other 4, but I reckon you’re right! [;)]

kris
    Participant
    Neophyte

Well then, the future looks optimistic. [8D]

Kris

joujou
    Participant
    Neophyte

Tinsie, that makes TWO of us! I wonder who the others are.
    Kris, you are right in being optimistic. If you (or anybody else in this forum) have any questions regarding the Greek language, I’ll be glad to help you. [:)]
    J

Salamander
    Participant
    Neophyte

Joujou, three of us now :)

jen
    Participant
    Neophyte

I learnt basic Greek in the UK before moving here. I was at an Adult Ed College for 3 years, and at least I got a grasp of the grammar.

I think that I had a good foundation because since being in Greece I haven’t had a single lesson. My Greek is ‘Not bad at all’ now after 3 years. Working with Greeks,and talking Greek to the relatives really helps you to improve quickly.

However – I still can’t understand Greek TV – they talk too fast!

As for accents – I speak Greek with an English accent, but I also speak English now with a Greek accent. Not good at all – I feel as if I don’t quite fit anywhere [:(].

Paulb
    Participant
    Neophyte
    Quote:
    Originally posted by jen

I learnt basic Greek in the UK before moving here. I was at an Adult Ed College for 3 years, and at least I got a grasp of the grammar.

Hi Jen,
    I’m learning Greek on my own from books etc. I really want a structred class environment with people to practice with I can write fairly OK but speaking is another matter. Trouble is I can only seem to find classes that ofer the usual ‘holiday’ language. I want something more substantial….I don’t know where you were based in UK BUT if it was London could you pass on the name of the Adult Ed centre you used and maybe I could contact them. ?????????
    Paul

jen
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi Paulb,

Unfortunately I was in Manchester whilst studying Greek. MANCAT college if anyone’s interested (Manchester College of Arts and Technology I believe). We were a small but fun group, but we took the classes seriously – we all had Greek partners, or wanted to retire to Greece, so we were motivated. The trips to the pub afterwards were inspiring too! [:D]
    I am sorry but I don’t know of anyone who has studied in London. [|)]

Paulb
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi Jen and Thanks. I’m sure I’ll come across something soon.

Quote:
    Originally posted by jen

we all had Greek partners, or wanted to retire to Greece, so we were motivated. The trips to the pub afterwards were inspiring too! [:D]
    Similar story to mine when I was learning Cantonese, especially the last bit!![:D]
    ???? ????!!
    Paul

Unknown
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi Paul,

Why not join a holiday language class, and if the teacher’s good ask him/her for private lessons?

Alternatively, have you tried The Hellenic Centre? http://www.helleniccentre.com/greekcourses.htm

javier
    Participant
    Neophyte

I would recommend Rosetta Stone, kind of expensive, but totally worth it.

It helps to build vocabulary through recitation, even requires you to remember the words as you move on to other lessons, and even can tell how you say things using a mic (optional).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.