Holidays in Greece – tips ?

Forums Living in Greece Announcements & Media Requests Holidays in Greece – tips ?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kiwi 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author

Sancho the Fat
    Participant
    Neophyte

Someone might like to contribute – Holidays in Greece: send us a tip to win a £200 hotel voucher

(Deadline 1 pm tomorrow apparently. Sorry not to have given more notice – I’ve just noticed it.)

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

I just hope they spend it in Greece, not Turkey or Spain.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Exactly…and that’s why Tsipras and co did not want to add Vat of 23% on to the islands tourism industry, when Turkeys vat is around 3% and tax around 10.

Even an idiot can understand that such a tax in Greece will kill the tourist industry which is the only industry left standing. Therefore…it appears to me that what the troika is asking for is deliberately trying to kill off. Greek tourism. You can’t tell me they are that stupid not to know that the neighboring countries will benefit.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Funnily enough I find I disagree………getting monotonous this eh?

Most tourism is to the islands and that is where the biggest vat increase was planned so I’ just consider there.

The vast majority of tourists go on packages and pay to non Greek providers directly so no great increase there except indirect knock on costs that ought to be very little. Money spent in country by tourists is usually on things that are overcharged in the first instance at the touristic places ( just go to a more typical non tourist location you will all know and see the much lower costs such a hot the price for coffee- or even less for a Greek one!)

That is not unusual as tourists do not know the real costs of things so there is a lot of scope for the extra ( one tenth say) to be absorbed by the provider and most relatively rich tourists would notice little difference anyway. My experience is that costs have actually stayed steady if not fallen for in country spend.

Must admit that putting up taxes goes against my principles but when needs must.

The argument against vat increases for poor residents is a different matter.

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

I take your point re prices in tourist areas but it maybe that people hear about the VAT hike and just decide not to consider Greece in the first place.
    Yes, the big tourists companies will get a large chunk of the money but unless they own the sites, the locals will receive some of the money.

Finally, don’t forget the local people with have to pay the extra VAT for all their goods which will have to be imported into the island, making them more expensive, but they will also have to do so with reduced pensions.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@kolofarthos wrote:

Must admit that putting up taxes goes against my principles…..

I heard that Paying taxes, not putting up taxes goes against you principles….! :roll:
    Now there I have to agree with you! :mrgreen:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Funnily enough I find I disagree………getting monotonous this eh?

Most tourism is to the islands and that is where the biggest vat increase was planned so I’ just consider there.

The vast majority of tourists go on packages and pay to non Greek providers directly so no great increase there except indirect knock on costs that ought to be very little. Money spent in country by tourists is usually on things that are overcharged in the first instance at the touristic places ( just go to a more typical non tourist location you will all know and see the much lower costs such a hot the price for coffee- or even less for a Greek one!)

I disagree on what you disagree on. If Vat prices go up, why do you think that the increase won’t be reflected in prices offered to the tourists buying from the tour company in UK for example? What difference does it make who the tourist pays his money to when the increased cost of the tour will still have to be paid by the tour company to the Greek hotel selling the package. That Greek hotel which has had to add 23% to the price, in direct competition with Turkey.

Point two. The Vat increase covers restaurants too so every meal a tourist buys costs more. Also…everyone does not go to Greece on package tours. (Like yourself who travels around by car and chooses your own hotel) Therefore weighing it up…they might decide to go to Turkey or elsewhere because of the vast difference in price. Apart from low Vat, Turkey has low taxes, I think 10%.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.