Help needed buying house in Athens.

Forums Living in Greece Property Help needed buying house in Athens.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  KP 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Hi I am about to buy a house/flat in Athens, probably around Kipseli and wonder if anybody can reccomend an English speaking lawyer and surveyor near there.
    Also any other info on the purchasing of property would be gratefully received.
    Ta Jo

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

I don’t know how well you know Greece / Athens.
    Isn’t it a better idea to rent for a while? Maybe after living there you would find you would rather live in another district.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I can share with you what we had thought about buying in Athens and a district to choose. If it wasn’t Athens we would have chosen a coastal place somewhere. We decided that the South East areas were better as closer to Pireaus so easy to get to ferries, also a priority was tram lines and the airport bus service close by. The other big draw card is that it’s ever closer to beaches still with the advantage of being in the city. Pireaus is good value and with water so close the air quality is better than right in Athens.

Personally, Kipselli would not have been high on my list for many reasons. I agree with alien. Rent somewhere first.

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Gosh sorry it has taken so long to reply. I am still stuck here at the moment and with the situation as it is, it may be a while longer.
    Did think about renting but have so much stuff that we need to buy a place so that we can just dump it all there.
    Partners kids are in Kipseli so we need to be close, also there are some interesting places there. Toyed with Omonia but I think that is just too difficult an area.
    Have looked at some stuff around Pireas but nothing grabbed me, take your point about being closer to the water though.
    Just wish all the crap over here can be sorted out soon.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Galatsi is close to Kipseli on that bus route. What I like there is they have the Alsos…park. It’s a wonderful place to walk, exercise, it has machines, watch outdoor movies, restaurant, pool and generally get away from the traffic. It has a good general shopping area and a short bus ride to Patision street the main drag to Ommonia. Yes it’s a difficult time to be making a money move to buy.

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Thanks for that, I will have a look.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Hello Jodevizes….. the only lawyer to use in Athens is the wife of Paul Corderoy, one of the old admin of this group. He’s a Brit and she’s Greek, though speaks excellent English.
    Just last month I recommended her to a British lady here who was delighted with the help and advice she got from Maria…
    Maria’s details are:

Maria Katsiva Corderoy
    Attorney at Law
    7 Tositsa street Athens 106 83 Greece
    tel. +30 210 8212812, 8215441
    mob. +30 6945 794 000
    email maria@katsiva.com , mkatsiva@hotmail.com
    http://www.katsiva.com

Though I definately agree with kiwi who says that you should consider renting for a few months for a while.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.