Good vet and hotel please !

Forums Dealing with Greece Practicalities Good vet and hotel please !

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Shazzie 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Unfortunately things are not going well with our dog.

He’s been unwell since we returned from England and despite our vet’s best efforts, we still aren’t sure of the cause.

The next step is for a colonoscopy and endoscopy but these are not available locally. So we need to go to Athens.

Does anyone know of a good vet with these facilities. Also a reasonable hotel nearby ?

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

I am surprised that Kostas Antonopoulos in Kalamata can not do this, but if not he surely can recommend someone he trusts in Athens….?

Have you spoke to him ?
    <h3></h3>

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Sorry if I write in this thread but the herniated disc threads reply box is splashed all over the page and I’m not sure Brenda can see what I typed. The word κήλη is hernia and the rest of the words mean of the spinal column, so grocers translation is correct.

Shaz am very sorry about your dog. Maybe it’s old age related and you might have to let go, which is a terribly hard decision. It would be wonderful if our animals could live as long as us. I would be concerned about going to Athens right now, where every hotel that’s mildly inexpensive is packed with refugees. If you still want to go, try using Air B&B where you might be able to get a flat for staying longer and in a district close to your desired vet. Thinking also that most hotels won’t allow dogs, and probably many rentals. Thinking aloud here.

I suggest getting in touch with an animal welfare society in Athens for the best advice.

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

Hi Shazzie,

Kostas the Vet’s details are on the Parea sti Mani website. He lists what is available at his Kalamata surgery.      He also speaks good English.

😎

PS  How’s your foot ?     I suppose you were wearing sandals.     :negative:

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Hi there is a vet out near the airport who covers emergencies and has great operating facilities. My son in law used him for his cat that was mauled by a dog. The phone number is 30 210 603 8023.

Don’t know about hotels though, but out there you should find one.

Good luck.

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Thank you thank you everyone, for the information and alternative suggestions.  :good:

I’ll begin investigating the ideas today, and keep you updated too.

Kiwi, our dog is only 5 years old so I hope it isn’t time to say goodbye yet. Of course like most rescue dogs in Greece he didn’t have the best start in life, so who knows what problems his starvation and violence have stored up ?

Anyway, fingers crossed we can find an answer before the euros run out !!!!!   :yes:

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

Shazzie, I’m really hoping everything goes well with your pet. Five years is much too soon to say goodbye.

And kiwi, thanks so much for your help re: the disks :yes:

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Fingers crossed Shaz…

He’s got way too much lust for life to step out yet.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Well I did my good deed for the day, we were driving home and I saw this sparrow having a fit and fluttering upside down in front of the car and so I yelled for Mr kiwi to stop. Got out and picked the poor wee thing up and took it home, it was sitting quietly, not a peep. I cupped some water in my other hand and put it close to its beak and it drank. Then I set it down on the grass under a bush and let it be. Within half an hour it flew off. Very sweet wee thing. I was so glad it wasn’t injured and died. Must have knocked itself out.

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Well done Kiwi !  Every act of humanity and kindness is to be celebrated in these dark times. :yahoo:

Thanks again to everyone for their good wishes for the pooch. :good:

rover
    Participant
    Neophyte

I am in touch with  two journalist whos dog was referred by Evanglos to a vet in Athens for an endoscopy. They thought the vet suggested by Evangelos was very good. They subsequently stayed in Athens for a few days during the investigations. He successfully diagnosed the illness and the dog made a good recovery. A stomach ulcer.

I am more than happy to contact her and get the details. However it was Evangelos who set it all up,

You know my email address if you want me to contact her. We have everything crossed for Shila.

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Thanks Rover.

We’re back to Evangelos tomorrow, but I have to say that Shila seems to have made some positive progress.

The sickness and diarrhoea have reduced considerably. More significantly he’s stopped passing blood. If we can get him to start eating and drinking a little, it means he’s on the road to recovery.

He’s lost nearly 3 kilos in 10 days, but for the first time I’m feeling hopeful. :good:

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

That’s really good news. Can you get any charcoal biscuits? I believe they are good for the stomach.

Jo

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Poor Shila….. Charcoal biscuits?? Ouzo always works for me!

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Well whatever works is always the right thing !

Very glad to report that Shila is making really good progress, so it’s all go for for a cool Yule  :yahoo:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.