Go to first UNREAD post in topic

Forums Greece is Home Website GIH Website Go to first UNREAD post in topic

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  brenda 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

So, if I understand it well, you come back to the site after a couple of days and you see NEW POSTS SINCE LAST VISIT and you can either

• click on the TOPIC itself which takes you to the first post in that topic, POST NUMBER 1 in other words
    • click on the FRESHNESS which takes you to the last post in that topic

But suppose there are 10 posts in the topic and you last read post number 5. In the example above you can either go to post 1 or post 10.

You want to click a link to go to post 6 which is your last read post in that topic.

Is that what you are all on about?  :scratch:

GiH Admin

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

YES, YES, YES! Every forum I’ve ever seen has this function “FIRST UNREAD POST”…even this forum had it before.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Aaaaahhh.

Why didn’t you say?  :whistle:   :heart:   :whistle:   😉  :bye:   :good:

GiH Admin

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

😯 :wacko:   👿  :wacko:

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Aaaaahhh. Why didn’t you say? :whistle: :heart: :whistle: 😉 :bye: :good:

OK, you’ve had your fun :yahoo:

Had them wound up pretty well, didn’t you… 😈

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Well hallelujah.  I just saw that this is available. will try it now

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Ok, so I just posted the reply before this, and decided I wanted to go to the go to unread posts button, so I scrolled to the top of the page…..problem is, the button is not there, it is, but not clickable.

We need the unread posts button to be within easy reach after posting a reply, or reading a post. It should be available on every page. That would make life simple.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Well, we’re working on it but it’s actually quite a major undertaking.

You see we have 3,000+ users and 5,000+ topics and we have to keep a note of where every single user is up to on every single topic.

But we’re working on it.

In the meantime there’s a new icon like this

folder_new

It shows you if there are UNREAD posts in that particular topic.

Clicking on the icon takes you to the unread post in the topic.

Let me know if it’s any use.

And if you find there are millions of this icon all over the place, just click on MARK ALL FORUMS AS READ and it’ll clear them out.

GiH Admin

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

uuuummm…not much use to me, sjs…that new little icon that’s supposed to tell us about unread posts is on every single thread…even ones with the last post more than a year ago.  :scratch:

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Disagree. It’s not as handy as “go to first unread post in this topic” would be but at least is shows whether it’s worth checking the topic. B-)

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

Totally off the wall, but is it possible that posts could be in reverse order, so that the first one shown is the freshist ?

😎

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Good bit of lateral thinking. Would overcome the current problem where long threads are not paged and a lot of scrolling required to get to the end. Perhaps a button to sort chronologically high/low or reverse might be easy to implement?

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I have overcome this problem by clicking on the date stamp…  example, where it says at the top of the thread in blue font, that kolly answered a post 1 hour ago. I click on that and it takes me to the end of the thread. Try it.

As for new posts..voila! They are happily sitting on my left in the side bar. I love it. Am still using the red bell too, which sometimes doesn’t understand when I’ve read posts and still keeps spitting them back at me, but…it’s a lot better than before.

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

Like kiwi, I also click on the date and time stamp, which takes me to the last (therefore newest) post in the thread, then I have to scroll backwards to get to the first UNREAD post, by me. I don’t want to keep saying this same thing over and over. I know SJS knows what the issue is and I’m just accepting that it’s not going to get fixed, :wacko:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.