Ghost factories

Forums Out & About in Greece Around the Country Ghost factories

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  kiwi 2 years ago.

• Author

Sancho the Fat
    Participant
    Neophyte

A bit corny and mawkish, but still…. Ghost Factories of Greece

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Yes but if you read the blurb, most of these were defunct in the 90s and no reason given as to why these closed down. If you go to the south of Italy, there will be many examples of stuff like this. The difference is that they were a Mafia con to suck money out of the EU.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

It’s not only factories that have closed, a walk down any street in Greece is heartrending. So many closed family businesses that had been around since the Drachma. Looking at them you can’t help wondering what has happened to the families of the owners and their survival since most would have closed burdened with debts and with their homes signed over to the banks as collateral.

When an economy is annihilated by the actions and policies of governments, Troikas etc, begs the question should you be held liable for the debt incurred when you sign over your house to that same institution whose bad business practices and decisions was the reason you have fallen? The same bank that received a huge bailout now wags its finger at you and wants to take your home and push your family onto the streets. It’s a case of ‘the man with the money makes the rules.’

No worries though, the sixth mass extinction of the planet has begun http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11687091/Earth-has-entered-sixth-mass-extinction-warn-scientists.html

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Yes I saw that. I think that the Inuits, some Amazon tribes and others around the world who still live a ‘simple’ life in tune with nature may well hang on. It is us urban dwellers who are on the way out. We can barely make it through a 2 day power or water cut.

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

Not all workers allow ‘their’ factory to be a ghost factory:

http://www.viome.org

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Okay, Mr KP doom, gloom, despondancy, here again….
    I’m afraid that with the amount of factories already closed and lots more closing all the time and nothing being done to stimulate the economy, it doesn’t matter how many uses they think of to utilise the empty factories, it just won’t be enough!
    Just nothing is being done to get the economy moving in the right direction, but anything and everything being done is making things worse…… then after all his posturing and brinkmanship, there is Tsipras ‘giving in’ and offering to raid the pensions, yet still being pushed further and unable to reach an agreement…….. :roll:
    Why oh why won’t he just pull out of the Euro, default and start over with a new beginning for Greece, instead of agreeing to anything and everything to stay in the Euro?
    Not that it’s going to make a difference as he doesn’t want to change anything for the good, but just to appease the masses!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I agree with one sentence kp. Greece should leave the euro and regroup. Do an Iceland and arrest the ones that started this fiasco starting from the Olympics.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@kiwi wrote:

I agree with one sentence kp. Greece should leave the euro and regroup. Do an Iceland and arrest the ones that started this fiasco starting from the Olympics.

Kiwi, if they do start to arrest those responsible, they need to go a long time back, well before the Olympics! πŸ˜•

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I said the Olympics because that one is still alive.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

………kp forgets when the Olympics started…….. πŸ˜•
    Get your top off (and bottoms!) and oil up for the Greek games wrestling, kp πŸ˜†

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@kolofarthos wrote:

………kp forgets when the Olympics started…….. πŸ˜•
    Get your top off (and bottoms!) and oil up for the Greek games wrestling, kp πŸ˜†

Thanks for that kolo…. you’ve scarred my mind forever as that image is indelibly imprinted on my mind! 😯 That’s even worse that wrestling with a kilted Scot who doesn’t wear anything under his kilt! πŸ˜•
    Something you chaps up there are familiar with? :roll: :unibrow:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

These stats would be low in my opinion. Most Greeks would not admit a family member committed suicide because the Orthodox Church won’t allow proper funeral rites to a suicide. Therefore that number would be under reported. http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2015/06/25/study-austerity-in-greece-led-to-tragic-increase-of-35-in-suicides-in-just-two-years/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.