Free Greek Language Course

Forums The Greek Language Greek Free Greek Language Course

This topic contains 27 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  jodevizes 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author

patission
    Participant
    Neophyte

Free Greek language course, isos kapion apo esas ton endiatherei

The Pan Hellenic Organization Elliniki Estia is organizing a Free Greek Language course totally 80 hrs. The course is based on Greek language training, Greek culture and also lessons about learning Greek through various form of culture such as: Greek music, dance and theatre. The courses will take place in small groups and will be time flexible. Morning and afternoon classes 2-3 times/week (three hrs each course).
    All services are free of charge.

For more information call Monday-Friday between 10-16.00 at 210-7646717, 210-7646713 or 6978696257 (what’s up) all day

The course will start next days and the location is Adamantiou Korai st, Nr 24, Virona(Αδαμαντίου Κοραή 24,Βύρωνας, 15 min walk from Pangrati Sq). You can go there by trolleybus 11 or bus 203 Station Dimarxeio(3rd after Pagrati Sq).

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=37.9615,23.75

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Thanks for the information. I am sure many will be interested. Who is funding this project? Is it government or private?

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@patission wrote:

Free Greek language course, isos kapion apo esas ton endiatherei

The Pan Hellenic Organization Elliniki Estia…

How is it that Pan Hellenic Organisations only ever organise events in either Athens or Thessaloniki? 😕 😕

It would be an interesting opportunity to test and improve my Greek but it’s simply too far away. :(

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@Ian wrote:

…………… How is it that Pan Hellenic Organisations only ever organise events in either Athens or Thessaloniki? 😕 😕

It would be an interesting opportunity to test and improve my Greek but it’s simply too far away. :(

Didn’t you know Ian? Nothing exists outside Athens or Thessaloniki as far as most are concerned!
    But then again, I’m quite pleased that most of the things which exist in Athens and Thessaloniki don’t make it to Kalamata! :mrgreen:

patission
    Participant
    Neophyte

They are still doing registration, means if you come these days in Virona ( 24 Adamantiou Korai st, bus 203,204,054, or troley 11, bus station Dimarcheio)you can register. The course is funded from European Funds, is a different course, learning Greek through various forms of culture, also some consulting about how to integrate in the Greek society, how or where to search for a job, to make you C.V in Greek….The course has have in total 80 hrs, and will ends around Easter time, end of April.
    If interested just call me at 6978696257 ( Ovidius)

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

Are you sure this course is free for everybody?
    I was checking out language courses some time ago and the courses funded by the EU were for “non EU citizens”.
    That means that I “may” pay the EU alot of money, but I cannot have free lessons Greek :unibrow:

jamiewithrington
    Participant
    Neophyte

I know I am probably too late now for this course, but I would be really interested! If there are any other courses like this going on please let me know!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I must say that I like the special ‘Bandit Language System’, whereby one finds the most popular cafenion within staggering distance of the house and forces oneself to spend at least 4 to 6 hours a day, every day, in said cafenion in the close company of lots of the local all day drinkers and over endless coffee, ouzo, beer and food, before you know it, natures miracle of learning through osmosis happens and not only does one learn the language, but also picks up the bolshie attitude to every subject (especially politics) and becomes an leading expert in every subject going, with plenty to say on every subject under the sun, never allowing facts or reality to stand in the way of a good story! Then before you know it, wallah, you’re pure Greek! 😆

Copyright@bandit.velikacafenion
    :mrgreen:

javier
    Participant
    Neophyte

@KP wrote:

I must say that I like the special ‘Bandit Language System’, whereby one finds the most popular cafenion within staggering distance of the house and forces oneself to spend at least 4 to 6 hours a day, every day, in said cafenion in the close company of lots of the local all day drinkers and over endless coffee, ouzo, beer and food, before you know it, natures miracle of learning through osmosis happens and not only does one learn the language, but also picks up the bolshie attitude to every subject (especially politics) and becomes an leading expert in every subject going, with plenty to say on every subject under the sun, never allowing facts or reality to stand in the way of a good story! Then before you know it, wallah, you’re pure Greek! 😆

I really like this method. You should start a business with it.

poppy1
    Participant
    Homeric

greuk007
    Participant
    Neophyte

@KP wrote:

Yeah, but you won’t learn the language of the educated Greeks.
    People in cafeneia are usually not even from Athens! LOL
    Anyway, I would not rely on this method if I wanted to speak “modern Greek”, be able to read the papers, and say a few sentences that a Greek person with a college education can understand.
    It’s definitely good for getting the culture -at least some aspects of it.
    I would do the same but using cafes (instead of cafeneia) where you can meet young Greek people and speak modern Greek. 😉

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@greuk007 wrote:

Yeah, but you won’t learn the language of the educated Greeks.
    People in cafeneia are usually not even from Athens! LOL

Apparently it’s the same thing all over the world. :
    People living in the capital of any given country all think that people not living in that capital are just a bunch of simpleton hilbillies. :roll: :roll:

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ooh yeah dodgy territory there … implying that only Athenians are educated!! 😆

Bound to get people’s backs up. I think I do actually prefer the more down-to-earth nature of people who did not grow up in Athens to be honest… ic_wink

greuk007
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Ian wrote:

Apparently it’s the same thing all over the world. :
    People living in the capital of any given country all think that people not living in that capital are just a bunch of simpleton hilbillies. :roll: :roll:

Well, big cities do attract ‘extraneous elements’ and if someone wants to learn the “official” language of the country some places there are definitely not the best for such task. For an advanced student of Modern Greek, I would definitely recommend this mingling but for a complete beginner? I really don’t think so…

greuk007
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Domino wrote:

Ooh yeah dodgy territory there … implying that only Athenians are educated!! 😆

Bound to get people’s backs up. I think I do actually prefer the more down-to-earth nature of people who did not grow up in Athens to be honest… ic_wink

Actually, no, you mis-read my comment.
    To appreciate my comment, you need to know a bit about the history of Greek language and how Modern Greek relates to the various Greek dialects. (I’m a linguist so I could bite your ears off if I stayed on the topic for a while.)
    My comment was referring specifically to the fact that for a foreigner who wishes to learn modern Greek some places are not the best “teachers” of the language.
    Just because someone is not from Athens does not make them uneducated. However, chances are they speak a dialect you are not -as a beginner- yet able to discriminate. Your goal -again as a beginner of the language- is to learn what is called “common Greek” (which is primarily spoken in Athens).
    Therefore, it’s best for you to steer clear off such places.
    Later on, when you get the hang with the foundations of the modern Greek language you can proceed to learn dialects. It’s actually a lot of fun. My students used to bring me such examples from dialects (spoken in Crete) in class for fun and you could just see many of the less advanced students would get extremley confused and bewildered with the difference in the grammar. Remember that Greek has heavy morphology and dialects vary not only in the lexicon but sometimes also in grammar/syntax, which can get pretty confusing for a beginner.

Bandit
    Participant
    Neophyte

Sorry Greukoo7, but me being a simple bloke didnt really understand your last post :roll:
    I am Saying is that for me learning greek in the local kafenion works well for me and if I want diversity i just move on to the next Kafinion in the village, why do i do it like this? the answer is twofold firstly as you say i learn to speak it with a local dialect, which of course is what I want as this is where i live, secondly it gets me much more involved with the locals, so now i am not like a lot of Xpats, who whenthey visit the local just end up sitting on their own and the locals just staring at them!! No my way gets me more involved and accepted , so that when i do get it wrong and this happens very often, they have No problem explaining it to me and love doing so which makes it a much more pleasurable experience all round.

I also mix with quite a few Athenians (educated ones ie Teachers) when they are here in the village they have little regard for the villagers Quote: Why do you stay in this little village, villagers are all retards and do not know the best things Unquote….these are people who moved from the village years ago, but now think they are of a much higher social standing 😥

No for me its mix with the peple you are going to live with and learn the language the easy way…over a few drinks 😆 😆

Regards,
    Bandit. 😈

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

over a few drinks

that’ll be Teachers then eh Bandit? Prefer a malt to a blend myself… 😀

But I agree with you. When in Rome…do as the local villagers, or something…..

As long as you’ll be understood elsewhere if that is required, why not. It’s not as if you are trying to pass an exam or something.

For those of us that learn ‘correct/common’ (Athenian???) Greek from books/tapes/teachers than our language is possibly out of place and out of date within common usage in our local environment, and we probably find it more difficult to understand conversations!

At least you might have an idea of when they think you are a plonker or are offering to help you drink your bottle of ouzo!!

But then we are better advised by 007 who would seem to be much better qualified to comment!! I was thinking of the diversity of pronunciation, dialects and Grammar in the UK which is surprisingly huge for such a small island group… and then considering Greece is so spread out and only recently (relatively) become a nation I can well imagine the greater differences in ‘Greek’.

Suppose it depends upon your objective?

greuk007
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Bandit wrote:

as you say i learn to speak it with a local dialect,

You assume that in kafeneia people speak the “local dialect”. And I just explained that this isn’t exactly true.

secondly it gets me much more involved with the locals,

No doubt that’s true. As I wrote in my previous, you do get in touch with the culture. For a newcomer to Greece/Athens, kafeneio sounds and looks pretty “Greek”. Well, we’re several generations past that. I suggested that cafeteria if a better place to do the same socialization. You want to mingle with *modern* Greeks if you wish to get to know the modern Greek culture and language.

I also mix with quite a few Athenians (educated ones ie Teachers)

For me, “educated” is anyone above High School. I mean people who know how to speak and write.
    I guess people took my previous to mean some kind of snooty label. Far from it.
    Education makes a difference in how you speak and write. If you wish to speak and write proper modern Greek, you need to talk and associate with people who have at least HS level of education.
    Otherwise, you might have a hard time talking, say, with your Greek lawyer or accountant.
    Makes sense, right?

No for me its mix with the peple you are going to live with and learn the language the easy way…over a few drinks 😆 😆

Sure, whatever rocks your boat. :))
    As you know, cognitive skills are suspended when drunk so don’t expect to be “learning Greek” while you’re downing a few/several rakis…. ic_wink 😆 :nod:

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@greuk007 wrote:

@Bandit wrote:

Sure, whatever rocks your boat. :))
    As you know, cognitive skills are suspended when drunk so don’t expect to be “learning Greek” while you’re downing a few/several rakis…. ic_wink 😆 :nod:

but I find that my Greek becomes much more fluent after a few drinks…. at least it sounds that way to me anyway! :mrgreen:

Also, I have heard that once Bandit has mastered Greek, he’s going to start on English next! Know of any good local English bars, preferably without any posh gits like teachers there? :mrgreen:

greuk007
    Participant
    Neophyte

@KP wrote:

but I find that my Greek becomes much more fluent after a few drinks…. at least it sounds that way to me anyway! :mrgreen:

😆 😆 :mrgreen:

Also, I have heard that once Bandit has mastered Greek, he’s going to start on English next!

😆 :mozilla_laughing: :mozilla_sealed:

Know of any good local English bars, preferably without any posh gits like teachers there? :mrgreen:

😆 I know a few very good Irish bars where I promise no teachers (or Greek or English) ever frequent! :))

Bandit
    Participant
    Neophyte

@KP wrote:

😆 I know a few very good Irish bars where I promise no teachers (or Greek or English) ever frequent!

Now that sounds a bit more me, a good kali band, a few Rebel songs, and lots and lots of Draft Guinness and some white pudding :nod: :nod:

@KP wrote:

Also, I have heard that once Bandit has mastered Greek, he’s going to start on English next!

Yes I know you have a lot of trouble with my accent KP, and it is true what I told you about the Greek Bank Manager learning me English, as she said I did not speak it Properly 😳 😳
    I dont understand the problem, I know what Im saying, and after all Im not No Rab. C. Nesbitt (or am I?)……

Regards,
    Bandit. 😈

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@Bandit wrote:

Yes I know you have a lot of trouble with my accent KP, and it is true what I told you about the Greek Bank Manager learning me English, as she said I did not speak it Properly 😳 😳
    I dont understand the problem, I know what Im saying, and after all Im not No Rab. C. Nesbitt (or am I?)……

[/quote]

Is there a northern version of Rab. C. Nesbitt? :mrgreen:

p.s. On Saturday morning on our way up to J&P for lunch we’re dropping by your place for a coffee so that mrs kp can drop off some books etc which she promised mrs bandit yesterday. So although we won’t have time to go visit your cafe to check out the English of the bank manager ‘learning you english’, I’d be happy to go over some of the books being dropped off which are for kids learning English! :roll:
    (anyway, mrs kp asks if you can warn mrs bandit that we’ll be dropping by for a few minutes).

Bandit
    Participant
    Neophyte

Looking forward to seeing you both again KP, Have prewarned Mrs Bandit and have put up a hitch rail right next to the rose bushes for Jack :mrgreen: on this visit can you teach me the second verse of Old Mcdonald had a farm, as I am now very pleased with myself learning the first one 😳

Regards,
    Bandit. 😈

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@Bandit wrote:

Looking forward to seeing you both again KP, Have prewarned Mrs Bandit and have put up a hitch rail right next to the rose bushes for Jack :mrgreen: on this visit can you teach me the second verse of Old Mcdonald had a farm, as I am now very pleased with myself learning the first one 😳

Regards,
    Bandit. 😈

That’s really great Bandit, Jack will appreciate that, though perhaps not the rose bushes!
    Actually Jack and we were really sad to hear that his friend has passed on to that great doggie paradise in the sky. :( Really sorry to hear the the big guy is gone. He was almost as big as a donkey and looked like nothing would ever get to him.
    Well, see you soon and I’ll have the next verse printed in big capital letters the way you like it! :mrgreen:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

[ Don’t forget the pictures KP! 2 pictures per word is the standard..]

greuk007
    Participant
    Neophyte

@kolofarthos wrote:

[ Don’t forget the pictures KP! 2 pictures per word is the standard..]

😆 :thumbsup:

poppy1
    Participant
    Homeric

http://kypros.org/LearnGreek/

The course is offered absolutely free of charge. All you need to do is register and enjoy !.

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Free Greek language course, isos kapion apo esas ton endiatherei The Pan Hellenic Organization Elliniki Estia is organizing a Free Greek Language course totally 80 hrs. The course is based on Greek language training, Greek culture and also lessons about learning Greek through various form of culture such as: Greek music, dance and theatre. The courses will take place in small groups and will be time flexible. Morning and afternoon classes 2-3 times/week (three hrs each course). All services are free of charge. For more information call Monday-Friday between 10-16.00 at 210-7646717, 210-7646713 or 6978696257 (what’s up) all day The course will start next days and the location is Adamantiou Korai st, Nr 24, Virona(Αδαμαντίου Κοραή 24,Βύρωνας, 15 min walk from Pangrati Sq). You can go there by trolleybus 11 or bus 203 Station Dimarxeio(3rd after Pagrati Sq). http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=37.9615,23.75

Does anybody know if this is still going on ?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.