FREE books about Greece

Forums Living in Greece Announcements & Media Requests FREE books about Greece

This topic contains 35 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Stella 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

I have read on FB that on this Saturday (25th) only all the titles of John Manuel books on GREECE will be available for FREE download (not just for Kindle unlimited subscribers)… Link below:- http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Manuel/e/B0040QB5EK/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

:good: Not read his books but that looks a good opportunity. Thank you.

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Very interested but how do I get them without a Kindle, please?

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

If you do not have a Kindle, you can download them and view on your computer / i-pad etc.  Not sure of the file format but format can be changed if necessary to pdf..mobi..etc etc .  There are many free programmes available on the web to do that….

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Thank you.  Am I right in thinking that I would have to give Amazon my debit card details first?  Sorry for all the questions but I am a novice at this.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Amazon also have a Kindle app where you can read the books on a tablet (works on Android but probable I tablets as well) so no need to do conversions. Just do a google search for ” kindle app ” and either “Android” or “iPad” and you should see a link to the appropriate app to download. No need to own a kindle, not sure if you need to give Amazon any details but probably not any card details, you should find out during the process.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Grocer, do you know if these books will just be listed as the free ones for the day?

The Grocer
      Participant
      Oracle

Sorry, no I do not know….just seen the info on a Facebook site…

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Ta. I will just have to look in!

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Really struggling now, not just with this site but need my hand held with the free books on Amazon.  I opened an account but cannot see on the link how to download the books. Unable on this iPad to copy and paste but it says something like this book is not currently available to purchase, so how do I get it, please?

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Thanks Grocer all now downloaded for free from the link you provided!…..not sure about some of the titles though :-) …….I ask you “moussaka to my ears” :yes:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Well Stella, lets see if I can help. No guarantees though! So, you have an Amazon account, have you downloaded the app to your I pad? I then just clicked on the link Grocer provided (I note you posted a while back, it has to be today Saturday….) I was already logged into Amazon and had my tablet set up as a device – part of the app install if I remember correctly – and then just clicked on the purchase the Kindle edition (shows up as zero cost) and completed the purchase (I used one click but any method should do). Part of that for me, as I also have a Kindle was the possibility to deliver to kindle or Android (tablet) but I just ignored that as having completed the ‘purchase’ it automatically downloads to Kindle. I your case you can either select deliver to your device (iPad?) or use the app you installed on your pad later. Hope that helps?

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Stella, I note you say you cannot copy and paste. In case you want instruction for your iPad  see wikihow 

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

If you were trying to copy and paste a book then you cannot do that with an ebook, you have to ‘deliver’ it to your device (tablet/ipad/smartphone or Kindle) following the purchase (even though it is a free no cost purchase) -process more or less as in my earlier post. Delivery is really just another name for a download process. The book is then available on your device via the app and is also stored on Amazon for you in case you wish to download it somewhere else in the future.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  kolofarthos.

Stella
      Participant
      Hoplite

By the cringe, think I have done it!  I had not understood that I needed to be in the kindle application before I could download.  I now seem to have all the books about Greece I wanted in addition to three free samples!  Gather I have only 30 days in which to read everything so will shut up now and start reading.  Many thanks indeed to all who helped me.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

STOP reading instantly ,Stella!  :bye: Where does that 30 days come from? Not met it before and I hope you have just miss understood something or I am stuffed!

Stella
      Participant
      Hoplite

Icannot believe it, how can I have got just a few pages!  I absolutely give up, what a dreadful day I have had! What have I done wrongly?  I think I shall just forget kindle and the Internet and go to bed!

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Why? What happens if we don’t read them in 30 days?

GiH Admin

Stella
      Participant
      Hoplite

I have only got a little bit of each book and think it is for 30 days only.  Absolutely gutted and no idea where I went wrong.  Drinking wine now and then going to bed to forget today. Should have remembered there is no such thing as a free lunch.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Stella.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

You have got the preview – the first few pages as a taster – rather than purchasing the whole book. Must check mine to make sure I purchased the unexpurgated works!

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Well I do not know what you have done or not done Stella but just checked and my download for the first book is all 300+ pages of “Feta Compli”. Are you sure you have purchased the book? You should have got an email for every book purchased.

Stella
      Participant
      Hoplite

No, did not get any emails so obviously did something wrong.  As I  do not know what I did wrong I won’t get any more books!

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Wow ,Stella, I found it so easy, login to my Amazon account, select book (free or paid for if you are not a pauper club member) click/select buy kindle book, done, virtually. (Blast still cannot get to a new line….) So , Stellar, it is such a good facility it would be worthwhile to tell us what you did, or repeat with current free books to get you sorted then you could have lots of free or very low cost books to read! Write down step by step what you do, if you want to get sorted that is, don’t give up! :good:

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Having another quick look he site (those JM books are now not free again) I wonder Stella if you selected “try it free” to see a sample, rather than “buy”? Today, as is typical, there are listed free books on over 70 pages and other sites that let you download free books, generally those out of copyright. Grasp the nettle……

Stella
      Participant
      Hoplite

Too miserable to do anything now as simply cannot work out what I did wrong.  I don’t like to give up on anything but for the moment I do give up after a whole day of trying, but thanks to everyone for their kind support.

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Ok, just read the book I got which I paid for and not terribly impressed.  Oh well, it was an interesting experience and I do like that I can read on an iPad when the lighting is too dim for a real book.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Yes you still need to be selective about which books you read. Don’t condemn the library cos the first book is cr##. :-) Post you preferences as to what you usually read enjoyably in hard copy and maybe someone will recommend more. Most will be available as ebooks but not all for free by any means although much cheaper than a paperback!

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

If you still have the will….another FREE BOOK,

but I think only for today…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aegean-Sun-Room-Stephanie-Wood-ebook/dp/B00JV0OAPG/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Thank you so much!  I got the email to say it was available, but as yet cannot see it in the kindle app.  Many thanks indeed.

Mavroloukanika
    Participant
    Neophyte

…For goodness sake !  Just go to the beach for a swim & stop thinking of freebies 😀

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

…and you pay for it?

😳 (The swimming that is!)

Stella to find the new books you need to login to the Amazon web page, they will not appear on the kindle app on your iPad….not unless it’s different to the Android tablet version , as you can only buy them on the Amazon site…….I think…

Just click/tap/stylus/whatever on that link Grocer has posted and take it from there. :yahoo:

Stella
      Participant
      Hoplite

Yep, did that and lo and behold the book appeared.  As so often happens here in Greece, I started to read and almost immediately I had friends drop by at the taverna I frequent and now I am nicely chilled and ready for a little read before sleep.  It is so hot without air on it is hard to sleep without wine.  That is my excuse, anyway!

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

hmmf. 😥

Jealousy will get me nowhere!

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Err, not quite free but just 99p set on Tilos a book by Jennifer Barclay, journalist and travel writer who is resident on the island Falling in Honey

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

Well, I just started reading Feta Accompi and… gave up. No real story, nothing particularly out of the ordinary, not very well written.

Why are there so many of these not very interesting “diary” type books about Greece?

GiH Admin

Stella
    Participant
    Hoplite

Just be thankful you did not pay for it then!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.