Fish & more Fish !

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  kolofarthos 3 years ago.

• Author

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Fish again – A load more of that body friendly protein in a supercharged little bundle
    1) Seabream with a salad of mango & kiwi
    2) A lightly baked salmon steak with asparagus & a poached egg, together with a salad of black eyed beans & spinach – Actually rather nice

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

You are a GOD sunny! reb_bravo

My favourite fish Tsipoura aka Seabream. I also love the Lavraki…the long narrow fish in the markets, no idea what they call it in English. It has a very tender meat. I usually beat the juice of a lemon, olive oil and oregano together and pour it over as a sauce…DIVINE.

An old Cypriot friend in NZ always used to make that black eyed beans and spinach salad, apparently it is a Cypriot favourite.

I have to say that nothing beats Greek fish and I think it has something to do with the atmosphere you eat it in. When the sun is shining, it’s hot and you are sweaty and you eat it outside served with a cold beer or retsina. Heaven.

geckophile397
    Participant
    Neophyte

I have to concur, Kiwi! My favourite fish too, but I also adore salmon. I shall have try that long thin jobby, Lavraki or whatever it is.

This reminds me of a holiday to Crete we went on with my sister and her bloke. On our last night we visited a fish taverna and the two men shared a fish platter. Our friend didn’t eat his sardine, and the enormous, lovely lady owner was quite upset. He assured her that everything was lovely but it was just that he didn’t like sardines. She said (and you have to read this in a Greek accent):

“But I weesh to PLEASURE you with my feesh!”.

😆 😆 :unibrow: :roll: :unibrow: 😆 😆

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

OOh Tsiporou totally fab !

We do ours on the barbie wrapped in foil with a lick of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.
    When you undo the foil, the fish separates and you lift the skeleton out whole.
    Just leaves all that sweet white fish with local bakery crusty bread and sweet tomato salad.

Ok that’s it I’m off to cook !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Ok found a picture of the fish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_seabass Funny they call it sea bass also though it looks nothing like Tsipoura. The flesh is a lot more delicate than Tsipoura and slightly different taste, but needs fingers 😀

In Greek, the vernacular name of this fish (as well as that of the related Dicentrarchus punctatus) is lavraki (λαÎČÏÎŹÎșÎč).[4] In Greek cuisine, the fish can be prepared in a variety of ways (e.g. grilled, steamed in parchment) and is often considered a delicacy. Greek journalists use the same word (lavraki) to refer to high-value exclusive news stories, a cultural reference to the perceived luck of an angler who catches this fish.

Another nice one is mackerel..Savridi they call it, but not the big ones, they are dry. Max 23cm are nice simply fried. Fingers here too. I think that is the secret of yummy Greek fish…it’s cooked on the bone.

Now if anyone has managed to get local mussels sold in bags of seawater battered and fried up crisp, do tell me how. Mine are ALWAYS soggy and they splutter at least a meter away from the stove, but so delicious. They remind me of the taste of oysters rather than mussels. Our mussels in NZ are vastly different, tough and big.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Mussels dipped in batter and fried???? :angry: What a waste of perfectly good Moule!
    Only the French know how to prepare moule properly!
    Battered and deep fried mussels sound as awful as the soft shelled crab I had in some posh Spanish fish restaurant in New Jersey last week! What was shown on the menu as ‘Special prepared soft shelled crab’ which I mistakenly thought would be something good…. but turned out to be a whole soft shelled crab dipped in batter and deep fried! đŸ˜„ Does that sound familiar? It was the biggest waste of crab I’ve ever tasted anywhere and tasted like it could have been anything at all. Really disgusting!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Aww kp…but I like fried mussels…of course I also like them done as a saganaki…in wine, lemon etc but fried mussels remind me of fish and chips back home with fried oysters. Used to buy a dozen oysters minimum and they were 4 times the size of the Greek mussels. Drool.

My kids were in Barcelona all week and said they went nuts over the food. Getting picky in old age kp.

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Ach – deep fried mussels ! Not for me….You can now get mussels here now, Only seen them so far though in AB supermarket in Kalamata – Fresh in string bags as they should be. Just scrubbed & any dead ones dicarded. Put some white wine or cider in the pan along with a little chopped chopped onion, bring to the boil & pop in the mussels for just a couple of minutes (Until they open should be enough) No need to season as the taste of the sea will permeate from the mussels themselves. Glorious just with crusty bread to soak up the juices.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@sundodger wrote:

Ach – deep fried mussels ! Not for me….You can now get mussels here now, Only seen them so far though in AB supermarket in Kalamata – Fresh in string bags as they should be. Just scrubbed & any dead ones dicarded. Put some white wine or cider in the pan along with a little chopped chopped onion, bring to the boil & pop in the mussels for just a couple of minutes (Until they open should be enough) No need to season as the taste of the sea will permeate from the mussels themselves. Glorious just with crusty bread to soak up the juices.

Perfect John! reb_bravo

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Pretty good he is (especially with his foodie postings), KP, but to claim John’s perfect….. 😆

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.