Ex pats in Athens.

Forums Living in Greece Meet & Greet Ex pats in Athens.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jodevizes 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Anybody know any bars, clubs or associations where ex pats gather in Athens?

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I believe the James Joyce is still rife with foreign types! :)

GiH Admin

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Anybody know any bars, clubs or associations where ex pats gather in Athens?

Oh dear Jodevizes……. you leave the UK for a new life in Greece and one of your first acts is to look for the UK in Greece?  :scratch:

Find the local cafes where the old local chaps sit all day nursing one little metrio and philosophysing all long about anything and everything….. that’s where you’ll learn Greek and about Greece! Did wonders for my Greek which rapidly went from ‘basic’ to ‘advanced’! 😀

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

No I am not a little Englander and will be fully getting into local life but it would be good to meet up from time to time.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Love the term ‘Little Englander’… 😆

Just winding you up Jodevizes… :rose:

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Facebook: Newcomers, B.I.G. and others have regular meet-ups
    Athens strollers, Mediterranean Garden Society & Athens Hash get you out of the house.

Pubs: JJ’s, O’Connell’s (Piraeus), Nelly’s (Voula), Molly Malone’s (Glyfada)…All seem to attract older men who drink too much

(and if you need Internet/computer assistance or want British TV, http://www.sambiggs.com)

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Thanks for that. I guess those pub names are a give away.

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

If you’re on Facebook there is a group called “Athens friends Meet Up” which seems to be pretty active.  I’m not a member because I don’t live there any more. There are also meet up groups you can join on the Meetups.com website, just register with that and search for Athens groups.  I was a member when I lived there and there was plenty of stuff going on.  Also pretty varied stuff like taverna nights, cinema or trying out different Athens bars.  They didn’t just hang out at the ex-pat pubs.  James Joyce can be a great night out if your with a bunch of friends who you know, I wouldn’t particularly wander in there by myself.  But then the staff are also very friendly, so no-one would look askance if you did! 😉

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Don’t really bother with facebook but I will have a look. Thanks for that.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.