English foods.

This topic contains 33 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  kiwi 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

JackPotts
    Participant
    Neophyte

Does anyone know of any supermarkets in Athens that sell English sausages?

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi

Think if you do a search for “Bacon” on the site you will find a whole thread about where to get hold of British sausages and bacon etc. I think greenhouse mentioned that she sold them in her shop as well and have also heard that there is a supermarket across road from Kifissia train station that sells Walls bangers. Sad but true, the sort of discussions we have down the pub. 😐

greenhouse
    Participant
    Neophyte

Yes I do have sausages, pork pies, bacon & crumpets in my shop. Alos for christmas I have Christmas puddings, chipolata sausages, crackers, Mr Kiplings mince pies & small cadbury selection packs. PM me for details anyone.

stephaniee
    Participant
    Neophyte

can you tell me where your shop is I’d be more than happy to visit and stock up on goodies .Do you have bisto and Bovril?

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

What is this obsession with English food? :

We live in Greece! :nod: :nod:

koukakikoukla
    Participant
    Neophyte

It’s not the food it’s the butchery skills we miss!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@greenhouse wrote:

Yes I do have sausages, pork pies, bacon & crumpets in my shop………..

yes….. mustn’t forget the english crumpet! :roll:

stephaniee
    Participant
    Neophyte

having lived here for 24 years I must admit although I do enjoy greek food .I still miss my sunday dinner, gravy spuds etc etc and the old bacon and sausages on a saturday night!I would like some carrot and parsnips .mm mm anyway …

greenhouse
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi Guys,

Long time no post! Sorry to disappoint you, but at the moment I am concentrating on the health food side of my shop & haven’t got much in stock on the english side, just some bacon, branston pickle, bisto gravy granuals & oxo cubes. There is now a shop in Voula, run by Colin & he has sausages, pukka pies & loads of other stuff, I will find out the phone number for those in desperate need.

stephaniee
    Participant
    Neophyte

oh please do!

koukakikoukla
    Participant
    Neophyte

greenhouse, forgot to ask you..do you stock the Pukka range of herbal teas in your health food store? They are from pukkaherbs.com.

greenhouse
    Participant
    Neophyte

No sorry, only have the yogi & clipper teas

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Yes I agree, it is the butchery skills I miss. The product that passes for bacon in those awful packets over here… I mean how can that pass for anything?? 8) No self-respecting butcher in the UK would give that “bacon” the time of day (unless they were a halal butcher of course but then they have other skills). I just don’t understand why it is so difficult to make decent bacon over here. I mean if I owned Creta Farm I would send someone over to Denmark on a fact-finding mission to learn how to produce proper bacon, instead of churning out any old rubbish. I would not have thought that that was a difficult concept.

OK rant over.

And also, I am sure most people who contribute to this forum eat a variety of foods from different cultural backgrounds. I doubt very much if anyone would consider themselves to be “obsessed with English food” or that everyone has gone “totally Greek” (foodwise) just because they have moved here. People always want the odd taste of home. It’s human nature. :nod:

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@Domino wrote:

And also, I am sure most people who contribute to this forum eat a variety of foods from different cultural backgrounds. I doubt very much if anyone would consider themselves to be “obsessed with English food” or that everyone has gone “totally Greek” (foodwise) just because they have moved here. People always want the odd taste of home. It’s human nature. :nod:

OK, the word ‘obsession’ was uncalled for, I’ll apologise for that one. :mozilla_foot:
    And yes, our food is a happy mix of mediterranean, Indonesian, Chinese, Thai and whatever else comes to mind… :drool: :drool:

What I really meant was that, living here, we learn to make do with whatever is available here and adjust our ‘recipes’ around whatever ingredients we can find. 😛 😛

And I do agree that simply chopping a cadaver to bits does not seem to have a lot to do with butchery skills. 😕 😕

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

So can someone please post actual addresses for these outlets? My mouth is watering and I want some food now!

GiH Admin

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@sjs wrote:

So can someone please post actual addresses for these outlets? My mouth is watering and I want some food now!

Just keep thinking of that belly of yours oozing and spilling over your beltline and you’ll overcome the urge! :roll:

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

@KP wrote:

@sjs wrote:

Just keep thinking of that belly of yours oozing and spilling over your beltline and you’ll overcome the urge! :roll:

We don’t all get bloated as we get older. I am svelt and godlike.

But… I so rarely get to eat English food. It’s either Italian or Greek and I could do with some decent meat & veg now and then.

So if anyone has an address we could still do with it!

GiH Admin

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@sjs wrote:

………. I am svelt and godlike…………

godlike as in: http://phoboy99.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/b-109happybuddha.jpg” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false; ?

hmmm….. ‘godlike’, bald head, cravings for food……… ??? :roll:

DayGloScooter
    Participant
    Neophyte

Supermarkets in Kifissia are “Thanopoulos” signed as “Superθ”. best one for english and american stuff is opposite Kifissia HSAP station, but the one at the roundabout near the Kifissia exit of the National Road (northbound) is good too. Also do nice Mature Cheddars

If you want british butchers, Pat and Dave Gascoigne (697 618 7783) do deliveries of excellent cuts, as well as homemade family size pork pies, and real cured bacon without all that white watery stuff you get from Tulip (which, incidentally, you can buy in EuroSpar)

masha08
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ian has a point. Greek food is just as good anyway. Hahaha ! I think though that every country has their best dishes. What’s your favorite English dish ? I think I’d go with Shepherd’s Pie.

nimbus
    Participant
    Homeric

@masha08 wrote:

What’s your favorite English dish ? I think I’d go with Shepherd’s Pie.

Na….s’ gota be…………..drum rollllllllll

BANGERS AND MASHA 😆

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

My fave English food is…………………

Curry………….. :mrgreen:

skalarocks
    Participant
    Neophyte

Just some English cheese would do me . . .
    Cheshire
    Wensleydale
    Leicester
    mmmmmmmm . . .

and a decent English apple.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

..Stinking Bishop…

Laxative Superb

Cox…but better not go there….

So why is it that I am in the UK craving Greek food?
    Had to go into my local newsagent’s shop to buy some proper Greek Olive oil this week as our homeward bound gift from last summer had just run dry!

Seriously, the owners daughter lives in Filiatra and it’s her own virgin.

Tis great stuff.

geomia
    Participant
    Neophyte

http://www.brfoods.gr. The only British food store on mainland Greece and Athens :))

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

reb_bravo Brilliant and you even have sausages. I risk food poisoning every time bringing my bangers over on the flight in my luggage…not good when there is a flight delay.

Best of luck!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

There is a far better option for British foods such as various types of British pies, sausages, bacon, etc.
    Some of the best stuff in Greece may be had from our very own sunnyboy, ‘sundodger’ of this very parish!
    He makes some of the best pies, sausages, etc you’re likely to come across in Greece (and probably the UK also)! :nod: Contact him through this forum and I’m sure that he’ll consider sending you a list of a bit of what you yearn for!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Wow I didn’t realise sunny boy sold his goodies, I thought they were only for personal consumption and for the odd paupered donkey. :mrgreen:

geomia
    Participant
    Neophyte

Just as you were beginning to ponder ;… yes BR Foods is still here,
    I just thought I would drop you a line so as to give you the usual news.

New stuff + out of stock items are arriving on this Friday morning…As follows

• Batchelors Cup a Soup Tomato, Vedge & Chicken flavours 4 Sachets 93g
    • Gaviscon Peppermint Tablets 8 Chewable Tablets
    • Duerr’s Peanut Butter Smooth 700g
    • Munchies Pouch 126g
    • McVitie’s Digestives Caramels 300g
    • Wagon Wheels 6 Pack
    • Wagon wheels Jammy 6 pack
    • Lucozade Sport Caribbean Burst 500ml
    • Mr. Kipling Exceedingly Good… Raspberry Puddings 2 x 85g
    • Mr. Kipling Exceedingly Good… Chocolate Sponge Puddings 2 x 85g
    • PG Tips 40 Pyramid Tea Bags 125g
    • Fox’s Jam’n Cream 150g
    • Hartley’s Redcurrant Jelly 340g
    • Lees 6 Meringue Nests
    • Chef’s Larder Burger Relish 1 Litre
    • Fry’s Chocolate Cream 49g
    • GALAXY® MINSTRELS® Treat Bag 105g
    • Quality Street Jar 700g
    • Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold 40 Tea Bags 125g
    • Great Scot Marrowfat Peas 500g
    • Schwartz Luxury Bread Sauce Mix 40g
    • Airwaves Black Mint Sugarfree Chewing Gum 10 Pellets
    • Cadbury Creme Egg Twisted
    • Maldon Sea Salt Flakes 250g
    • Happy Shopper Ginger Nuts 200g
    • Mc Vitties Ginger Nuts
    • Cadbury Bubbly Mint Bar
    • Hoola hoops ready salted
    • Hoola hoops cheese and onion

Thanks for your time, hope to see you soon.

http://www.brfoods.gr

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

You wafting into our lives again sjs…it must be true then that the only way to a mans heart is via his stomach.

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Gosh – Missed the post from my advertising manager, how remiss of me ! ’tis all true, I have been very busy over the past year or so fulfiling the needs of the local expat community & with an ever expanding selection of goodies from the old Country (And the Colonies) Retirement is now only a far off dream ! :))

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

expanding selection of goodies

?
    Ha!
    I bet the customer’s waistlines that are expending too….

Now that was some sort of backhanded compliment was it not?

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

…Depends I suppose on what the waislines were “expending” ? :))

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@sundodger wrote:

…Depends I suppose on what the waislines were “expending” ? :))

Well, since a “wais” is a Wide Area Information Server I would think that the suggestion is that the “waisline” is expending it’s information? 😕

:mrgreen:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.