Does anybody know the current circulation tax bands?

Forums Dealing with Greece Formalities Does anybody know the current circulation tax bands?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  altohb 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Hi, about to buy a car but wonder what the current rates are? I know the smaller the engine the smaller the tax. Have seen the 2015 rates but wonder how much they have changed for this year.

I noticed that the bands bear very little relationship to manufacturers engine sizes, they seem to be skewed to get a car into the next tax bracket.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Couldn’t tell you, we have “agrotiko” plates so we only pay a fraction. :good:

€ 105.- for a 2.5 litre diesel engine.

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Nah nah na nah nah :) Does a window box count?

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Our tax on a 1400cc car was 240 euro.

Friends paid 135 Euros for their 1200cc car.

Not sure about other rates.

I’m fairly sure the window box won’t help, our flower border and patio aren’t enough !!!!!!

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Nah nah na nah nah :) Does a window box count?

I presume that depends on what else is in the envellope you submit your application in? :whistle:

neilpph
    Participant
    Neophyte

Have a look here this  has the tax bands with current costs related to cc and emissions

livingingreece.gr/2012/2/28/road-tax-greece

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Thanks for that. With the current economic climate they are changing all the time and they have discovered that, like the UK, the motorist is a good source of revenue.

I was looking to buy a 4 x 4 but most have a 2 litre engine which would be good as I intend to do a lot of exploring and a smaller engine could struggle on the motorway or in the mountains, but I wouldn’t want a huge tax bill.

altohb
    Participant
    Hoplite

Beware of 4x4s if you don’t want an enormous tax bill. Not only is the circulation tax high, but they are also deemed a “luxury” vehicle, which attracts an additional payment. We bought a Suzuki Grand Vitara when we came here 9 years ago (1900 cc engine), and got rid of it mid 2014. It was starting to drink petrol and we could see some expensive repairs coming up. It also cost us about €1000 a year in tax – €660 circulation tax and €350 luxury tax! We bought a Suzuki SX Cross to replace it – diesel instead of petrol, so cheaper to run, not a luxury car and circulation tax of about €110.

We enjoyed the Vitara when it was new as it meant we could do the exploring which you describe. It just became an expensive liability, particularly as we discovered that we could transport our olive crop just as easily in the car!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.