Cooking for my fiancee!!!! any ideas

Forums Out & About in Greece Food, Drink, Cooking, Restaurants & Bars Cooking for my fiancee!!!! any ideas

This topic contains 129 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Mary 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

My fiancee will come to Greece to spend summer vacations together from the US in less than a month and he has never tried authentic greek cuisine. Am greek, my parents and nona (she comes from a huge CHEF family, her dad was working as CHIEF CHEF in an Egyptian Hotel in Cairo)taught me how to cook and i have some good grandmas recipies and was thinking of making fricase with lamb meat and lettuce for him but would love any suggestions from you guys.

What would be your favorite greek dish you simply HAVE TO try everytime in Greece?

Alternatively, what would be the must have cooked dish when in Greece?

I can cook almost everything and ppl tell me i can cook very well! So i would love any suggestions from ya all!!!!!

rplou
    Participant
    Neophyte

yummy. i think your lamb sounds awesome– lamb is high on my must-try-while-in-greece list.

i also love gemista in the summertime, and fresh thalassina– when you’re this close to the sea, you really should eat some seafood! ๐Ÿ˜€

enjoy your fiance’s visit!!!

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Speaking of sea food i make a VERY GOOD spaghetti sauce with shrimps boiled in vinegar and laurel leafs and then cooked on low fire with tomatoe and black pepper seeds……should i try that instead? OF COURSE served with spaghetti No6 Misco…..

I descend from Tinos island, Cyclades and the gemista (stuffed tomatoes) we make have a rather unique flavor. We use sun dried tomatoes marinated in sun oil and caper for the stuffing and we dont use minced-meat… Do you think these flavors will be ok for him?

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

thats the way I make gemista as well! some people prefer it without the mince, not so heavy, found some brilliant round courgettes in AB and they are great stuffed, my brother always likes pastissio when he is here, also kalamari fried and of course wonderful greek salads with feta and olives they never taste the same out of greece!!

rplou
    Participant
    Neophyte

i’ve never had gemista with minced meat– only with seasoned rice inside. that’s the way my MIL makes them. but your sun-dried, caper-filled version sounds ***amazing***. do you have a recipe? i’d love to try it.

and i still think you should go with the lamb. but i’m biased, as that’s one of my own personal favorites. ๐Ÿ˜€

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

The sun dried tomatoes and capers are marinated in sun oil. We put them in little jars, a piece of cloth or paper and then the lid. We keep them for as long as they are all eaten, but believe it never excceeds 6 months, just to delicious to have in a jar.

When we make the stuffing we DO NOT use the capers. We just remove the tomatoes from the jars and leave the capers still in, unless we want to put the capers in the salad (tomatoe and feta ONLY)

The stuffing has one eggplant, 2 courgettes (zucchini), what u remove from the tomatoes, at the tip of the small spoon a bit sugar (it really should be VERY few sugar), the sun dried tomatoes, lots of parsley, salt pepper and of course rice for gemista (same rice i use for spinach with rice dish!!!!!!) grandma used to put a bit of garlic and pine seed…Gives special taste…..

Enjoy…

rplou
    Participant
    Neophyte

will have to try this– thank you!!!

nikanne
    Participant
    Homeric

try putting some mint and garlic in as well gives a great flavour!!!

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Those recipes do sound amazing Ellinis. My MIL also does not put mincemeat in her gemista and uses plenty of fresh mint and garlic as suggested by Nikanne. But the sundried tomatoes and capers sound like kati allo. We also have sundried tomatoes but they are completely dry (you have to soak them in water for half an hour before you use them). Actually means we use them less because always forget to do it – they go great with a fry-up. Maybe I should suggest to my mother in law putting them in oil. Interesting that she doesn’t actually since she makes so many other things – pasto, loukanika and toursi which she does. I, unfortunately, rarely find the time to make something as time-consuming as gemista but would certainly try that recipe if I get into a cooking mood one of these summer days when we have piles of fresh tomatoes, peppers and aubgergines to get through from the perivoli!

All the foods you mention sound particularly aromatic and tasty. The seafood spaghetti – would love to know how you make that. Don’t think you will have a problem impressing your fiancee with a choice like that. ๐Ÿ˜€

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Greece has much diversity over too many an area. So food couldnt be an exception. I have a weird cooking legacy in my family. 2/4 i descend from Cyclades, 1/4 from the Ionian island of Zakinthos, and 1/4 from Crete. Cycladic cooking being the dominant one i have lots to do with fish and sea food as well as with vegetables. On the cycladic islands, especially ones that suffer from water shortage due to no rain during winter rearing cattle, sheeps and goats is difficult. So meat consumption is limited to feasts and special events. My 1/4 legacy from zakinthos has to do with absolute traditional cooking with lots of herbs. The ionian cooking is known for using all kinds of herbs in the food so as to give special flavor. My grandmother and aunt cook wonderfully stuffed courgettes flowers, which are in abundance this season if anyone is interested and the basic herb used is fennel and also stuffed artichokes!!!! YES ARTICHOKES CAN BE STUFFED!!!! Also the ionian islands are known for their DESERTS!!!!!!

On Tinos we have a special recipy, one i need to practise one or two times with my fiancee which has to do with wild artichoke plant marinated in oil and sth else i dont remember now what and it can be served with grilled or bbqued stakes or burgers!!!!! Amazing flavor!!!!

When we are settled in greece for good would love to through a party an invite ppl to share food with. Is always good to share food….dont u think?

Now, as for the recipy with the shrimps….Boil the shrimps with water, laurel, salt and black pepper seeds until they change color. Once the color is changed add white vinegar and let them boil on low fire for 10mins and then remove them from the fire WITHOUT THROWING the water.

On a fry pan, put dry onion sliced into teeny tiny pieces with olive oil and mix until the onion turns yellow, NOT BROWN, then add fresh tomatoes juice, one spoon of pelte, a bit of salt, pepper, parsley fine
    cut and few from the water u boiled the shrimps. Mix one or two times and then let it boil as u would for spaghetti red sauce. Put a lid on the frying pan and leave it half open so as the steam to be let out. Add water from the boiled shrimps whenever needed and 15mins before it is done add the shrimps too with the rest of the water along with the laurel and the peppers.

You know how to make spaghetti am sure. When you remove water and put them to the pot again with oil, make sure the oil is DIFFERENT from the one u used for making the sauce. I always use corn oil. Mix the spaghetti in the pot twice, making sure they dont stick to the bottom, turn off the fire for both spaghetti and sauce (make sure the sauce is done and ready to be served) put the spaghetti in the frying pan, mix with the sauce and VOILA! BON APETIT

Cheers

P.S. Would love if u shared other dishes u would love to eat while in greece….lets say certain vegetabes, or chicken dishes or certain meat dishes….Anything that can give me ideas!!!!!

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hey Hey! It’s gone 5pm & still stuck in the office. Reading all about this food is making me hungry. :mozilla_tongue:
    ellinis, my mum was Greek and I can relate a lot to your cooking.
    How about spinach (flavoured with dill or mint) in filo pastry. Sounds simple but was always a real treat for me.
    :thumbsup:

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

@waxwings wrote:

Hey Hey! It’s gone 5pm & still stuck in the office. Reading all about this food is making me hungry. :mozilla_tongue:
    ellinis, my mum was Greek and I can relate a lot to your cooking.
    How about spinach (flavoured with dill or mint) in filo pastry. Sounds simple but was always a real treat for me.
    :thumbsup:

I make Spanikopita, myself – but I’ve never put dill or mint in it. I love the phyllo cheese triangles. I gain weight when I eat them, bucause I can’t stop eating till they’re all gone.

esavvides
    Participant
    Neophyte

I’ve been living on spanakopita – make it almost daily and I do put dill in it. Gives it a little extra kick.

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Spanakopita needs dill in quantity and feta and dry onion to be a good one along with the other ingredients….Spanakopita is one of my favs too!!! dont know though if he will be able to taste it from my hands this time….we dont have an oven yet xaaxaxaa

yogis-mummy
    Participant
    Neophyte

My M-in-L always makes me pork with leeks (with lemon)

It doesn`t matter what else she is cooking for every one else, she always tells everyone that she has made this just for me.. , I just mentioned one day that I liked it.. so that was it..!

Good job I do like it… as she always gives me some to bring back to my house… :roll:

now after reading all about food, I`m feeling rather peckish…!

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

My daughter was visiting with her Greek S.O. in Canada and she was taken to a Greek bakery and got some round sweet pastries that, when you bit into them, oozed honey. She said they were divine (and then she ate them all and didn’t bring any home). It’s supposed to be a Greek dessert, so I’m hoping I can find some when we get over there in July. :nod:

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thanks for that recipe ellinis – sounds much better than one that you would get from all these poncy sunday supplements these days. I will definitely have a go at that one of these days.

I personally love my mother-in-law’s kokkinisto (chicken or katsiki). She uses a lot of cloves and cinammon in her cooking. The way she fries up the chicken/goat and then adds a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and water and then loads of cinammon and about 4-5 cloves. Seems really simple but there is something really special about the way she does it. Never tasted any kokkinisto anywhere as good as hers.

Another hot favourite of mine would have to be รโ‚ฌรŽยฑรโ€žรŽยฌรโ€žรŽยตรโ€š รฦ’รโ€žรŽยฟ รโ€ รŽยฟรยรยรŽยฝรŽยฟ. I just had to write that in Greek because “oven baked potatoes” does not evoke just what an amazing dish this is!! That special way they have of mixing the potatoes with olive oil, lemon, oregano, salt and black pepper and then put them in the oven with half olive oil and half water must be one of the best ways of cooking potatoes.

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH, POTATOES MADE IN THE OVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well thats one we MUST have when we will be living together, since is rather impossible to do now….we lack an oven and there are so many things i want to cook/bake. But i agree!!!!! oven potaoes are VERY GOOD. At home my mother makes the best chicken with those potatoes in the oven. We also serve them with lamb in the oven too.

Mary, i cant really say that i recognise the sweet u r describing. Was it from some certain area of Greece? I can only think of northern greece when it comes down to such sweets and the islands are not very familiar with them. If you are planning to stay at Thessaloniki while here do ask for them, or else i think it will be hard to find them in athens or a southern greek area…..they sound like they are made north….

As for the leeks with lamb….I have never made that before….would love to make it sometime..any receipy available???????

I can make pie with greek phyllo and leeks and also leeks with rice in the pot, rather spicy dish, but would love to learn how she makes lamb with leeks…i have a feeling that it must be similar to my own fricase, the one i make with lettuce, but am not 100% sure. I CAN AGREE THAT WHENEVER WE HAVE FRICASE AT HOME, THE FOOD VANISHES IN SECONDS!!!! THAT AMAZING

Wonderful ideas…..

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Domino wrote:

Another hot favourite of mine would have to be รโ‚ฌรŽยฑรโ€žรŽยฌรโ€žรŽยตรโ€š รฦ’รโ€žรŽยฟ รโ€ รŽยฟรยรยรŽยฝรŽยฟ. I just had to write that in Greek because “oven baked potatoes” does not evoke just what an amazing dish this is!! That special way they have of mixing the potatoes with olive oil, lemon, oregano, salt and black pepper and then put them in the oven with half olive oil and half water must be one of the best ways of cooking potatoes.

I would love a detailed recipe for the potatoes – my husband LOVES potatoes in the oven. I’m a good cook, but I can tell by his ‘just okay’ reaction to my potatoes, they aren’t even close to being what his dear old mother used to make (I’d love to surprise him with an authentic Greek version of potatoes).
    @ellinis wrote:

Mary, i cant really say that i recognise the sweet u r describing. Was it from some certain area of Greece? I can only think of northern greece when it comes down to such sweets and the islands are not very familiar with them. If you are planning to stay at Thessaloniki while here do ask for them, or else i think it will be hard to find them in athens or a southern greek area…..they sound like they are made north….

She got them in Toronto – her boyfriend lives in a large Greek community there, and the sweet things she’s talking about are very popular. She’s just got back from Australia and had been telling her aunt about them. Her aunt made some donut hole things coated in honey, but the one’s she’s referring to have honey inside and the honey burst inside your mouth when you bite into them (salivating, now). It may just be a Canadian-Greek thing. I have a trip planned for Toronto late August, so if I can’t find them in Greece I’ll be picking some up in Canada. I’m going to get enough that I
    can figure out how to make them – it will probably take several dozen… :nod:

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@ellinis wrote:

My fiancee will come to Greece to spend summer vacations together from the US in less than a month and he has never tried authentic greek cuisine. Am greek, my parents and nona (she comes from a huge CHEF family, her dad was working as CHIEF CHEF in an Egyptian Hotel in Cairo)taught me how to cook and i have some good grandmas recipies and was thinking of making fricase with lamb meat and lettuce for him but would love any suggestions from you guys.

What would be your favorite greek dish you simply HAVE TO try everytime in Greece?

Alternatively, what would be the must have cooked dish when in Greece?

I can cook almost everything and ppl tell me i can cook very well! So i would love any suggestions from ya all!!!!!

I’ve been following this thread with interest for some time and thinking how lame most of the suggestions are…… so, allow me to give you some advice from the mans point of view Ellenis. :roll:

I would strongly suggest that you forget all this namby pamby stuff which has been suggested and use the opportunity to REALLY find out if he loves you as much as you clearly love him!

I would suggest that you feed him the following wonderful Greek favourites of mine and see if he still loves you:

1) Break him in gently with Kokoretsi for a start, being sure to explain the ingredients in detail so that he appreciates how much trouble you have gone to for him.
    2) That wonderful avgolemono soup which is normally served up at New Year and Easter with lots of innards floating around….. throw a sheeps eye ball into his plate as well to give it that extra zing.
    3) Now for one of my favourites….. baked sheeps brains….. mmmmm, wonderfully tender and succulant.
    4) Sheeps sweet m
    eats kokinista! Fabulous! Another one of my faves!
    5) With his Ouzo, before the main courses, you really should have a pigs head gelatini for him and some whole perthiki to crunch on.

You wanted a genuine Greek meal…… you got it!
    What better way to not only introduce him to Greece, but also to find out how far his love for you really goes? ๐Ÿ˜†

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

@KP wrote:

You wanted a genuine Greek meal…… you got it!
    What better way to not only introduce him to Greece, but also to find out how far his love for you really goes? ๐Ÿ˜†

Ellinis, if the way to a man’s heart really is through his stomach, you’ll have to pay a not-so-nice visit to KP after the love of your life heads for the hills. ๐Ÿ˜†

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

unfortunatelly for u KP i make DELICIOUS easter soup and to ur surprise u would want 3 more plates after the first one u would have. Its my grandmas recipy.
    As for kokoretsi, i know this EXCELLENT taverna at Vlahika were they make the tastier kokoretsi i have eaten in my life so THNKS for the suggestions!!!! hahahaahaahaha. LOVE the humour

I can only imagine what u went through when they made u make ur own kokoretsi or when u got explained what really the easter soup is made of!!!! SO FUNNY!!!!!! wish i had taken a foto of ur face!!!!! HAHAHAHAHHA

One thing is for sure though. My fiancee wants to marry me even though am a greek baring gifts for him, gifts of food. hahahahhaha What can i say it must be the sun and the climate that drive him crazy about me!!! ahhahahahahah Am sure u are here for the same reasons….not to sunny over there in the UK, is there?

Thnx for the good laugh!!! i enjoyed ur post!!!!

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

The trick to make good oven potatoes is the shape u cut them and how u bake them in the oven!!!

u peel big size potatoes and then cut them in half. Then each half is cut to form 4 pieces, but to do this u place the half on the cutting board rest on the cut side, so that if u let it be it wont move, and then u cut forming a cross. Do this for each half. place them in a tapsi, put olive oil on ur hand and spread it on the tapsi to go everywhere as if u were to make pie.

then throw all the potatoes in the tapsi. Add salt and pepper on them in quantity and then put some salt and pepper on ur oily hand too. Use ur hands to mix the potatoes in the tapsi and make sure salt and pepper goes everywhere. Then u add 3/4 of a tea cup of oil on them, a cup of lemon juice and half glass of water. Make sure the potatoes dont float. The liquids should be enough to help bake the potatoes NOT boil them in the oven…You can always add water if needed right?

last u add oregano BUT it should be VERY VERY FEW!!!!! just to the tip of ur fingers and dont worry if it isnt spread everywhere!!! The flavor will be amazing!!!

The baking is what does the trick! before you even start peeling u turn on the oven at 120 degrees for half hour. Then you place the tapsi in the oven, NOT AT THE BOTTOM, JUST A LITTLE BIT ABOVE THE MIDDLE!!!
    If there are three levels prefer first level to place the tapsi on the shara.
    Bake them at 220 degrees for half hour and make sure u check them if they want water or changig position of the tapsi. Usually we take it out and turn it around replace it the inside side out this time (is usually done after the first 15mins, but depends on the oven, u might not need to do this)

After you have done this and half hour has passed since u first put the tapsi in the oven, lower the degrees to 180 and place the tapsi near the bottom of the oven! if it has three levels then level 3, near the bot
    tom. By then the potatoes should have a very nice color on top and let them bake in the oven for another half hour. Total baking time 1 hour.

IMPORTANT NOTE. DO NOT CLOSE the ovens door completely, just put a towel to create a small opening, so that u let steam out, or else u will steam the doors glass and the potatoes will not be baked….

Hope i helped. Enjoy

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@ellinis wrote:

………………………….. THNKS for the suggestions!!!! hahahaahaahaha. LOVE the humour

Thnx for the good laugh!!! i enjoyed ur post!!!!

It wasn’t meant to be a humorous post! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
    I was being serious! ๐Ÿ˜•

WAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Why doesn’t anybody take me seriously! :crybaby:
    I’m only trying to be useful and helpful to everyone! :unibrow:

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

@ellinis wrote:

The trick to make good oven potatoes is the shape u cut them and how u bake them in the oven!!!
    Hope i helped. Enjoy

I’ll definitely give it a go within the next couple of days. Your oven temps listed are Fahrenheit, right?

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Degrees of Celcius

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

Yeah, okay – that makes a difference. I don’t think I would have been able to impress my husband too well using the wrong temps. Thanks!

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Oh brilliant thanks for that I will definitely try that recipe ellinis. I have asked my mother-in-law and other relatives about the potatoes but they always just say ligo nero kai ligo ladi, and without getting all the proportions right you just know that the potatoes will go all soggy and boiled. Now that I have exact measurements and details on how to cut the potatoes just right I feel enthused to try it right away. Probably make them for family and friends when I’m over in England because that will bring a taste of Greece to them straight away like no other and they will all be waxing lyrical about what amazing potatoes they are. ๐Ÿ˜€

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

KP wrote….

2) That wonderful avgolemono soup which is normally served up at New Year and Easter with lots of innards floating around….. throw a sheeps eye ball into his plate as well to give it that extra zing.

Hey KP, and I thought on a previous post that you had googled where Elias restaurant was. I am now convinced that you have been there. You obviously got the eyeball idea from the Cypriot waiter who flicks his false one out into the dish when they serve avgolemono soup! ๐Ÿ˜†

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Elias restaurant in Southampton? ๐Ÿ˜€ Is he still there? As I think I said before, I just wish that those ‘Anglisised’ restaurants would instead stick to genuine Greek food……. also, I would have preferred the waiter to use his real eye as I find that the false eye tends to be too crunchy and it’s too easy to choke on it! ๐Ÿ˜†

Psari
    Participant
    Neophyte

Donรขโ‚ฌโ„ขt know about your fiancรƒยฉe ellinis , but my wife likes a good muffin.

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

You mean the greek loukoumades??????

Wonderful idea! With honey and cinnamon and easy to make

THNX will do that for desert!!!!!!!!!!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Oh dear psari…. taking advantage of language differences like that! ๐Ÿ˜†
    And I hope that your avatar is not a mule rather than a donkey! ๐Ÿ˜•

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

It must be a donkey. Mules can’t use kineto’s unless they come with a bluetooth headset. And even then he has to get the donkey to set it up.

My inlaws have a lemon tree that grows …..youve guessed it…

Oranges…nah Lemons. It grows so many that there are always loads available. So I now make fresh lemonade. Which is cool.

Also , same as Yoggis I once told my MIL that I liked fasalakia and now she makes it for me on a weekly basis. Luckily I do love it. Which is cool

Never say you like something if you don’t you may come to regret being polite ๐Ÿ˜‰

“Which is cool” – copyright applied for Assimilate 2007

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

@ellinis wrote:

You mean the greek loukoumades??????

Wonderful idea! With honey and cinnamon and easy to make

THNX will do that for desert!!!!!!!!!!

So that’s what it’s called in Greek. Thanks ellinis. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

loukoumades is one of my favs. The best loukoumades by far!!!!! in athens are sold at Aeolou street, the big kafenio FAMOUS for its loukoumades. You can also do take it out and they have packages of 6 and 12 pieces. IT IS CROWDED, HAS HUGE LINE but it is worth the waiting!!!! Ask for extra cinammon!!!!

And also i want to make another suggestion about a wonderful garden restaurant at keramikos, the name is Lokantiera, easy access from Thisio station. The food is excellent, the atmosphere in the evening at the garden wonderful, starts serving from 21.30 and you can choose desert, which i think they dont charge. Only thing that made me sad was the slow service but i think it has improved lately. The atmosphere rewards the waiting. The place is at รŽโ€บรŽยฟรŽยบรŽยฑรŽยฝรโ€žรŽยนรŽยญรยรŽยฑ, รŽย รŽยปรŽยฑรโ€žรŽยฑรŽยนรลฝรŽยฝ 15, รŽลกรŽยตรยรŽยฑรŽยผรŽยตรŽยนรŽยบรล’รโ€š, 2103462983 for reservations. รŽลกรŽยปรŽยตรŽยนรฦ’รโ€žรŽยฌ รŽลกรโ€ฆรย. รŽยครŽยนรŽยผรŽยฎ: รขโ€šยฌ 15-18.

For those who read greek pls visit this site

http://www.athinorama.gr/restaurants/articles/default.asp?i=1550&c=lokantiera

THIS IS ANOTHER SITE I ALWAYS CHECK

http://psirri.gr/english/

Have fun….

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

eeeeeooooowwwww! I thought psirri was a flea! ๐Ÿ˜•

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Your greek really suck KP…..

flea is translated รŽยจรŽยฅรŽโ€บรŽโ€บรŽลธรŽยฃ in greek which to my understanding L and R ARE dinstinctive sounds FOR MORE THAN 2 MILLENIA…..i would excuse you for mixing the two sounds if you were of korean or japanese origin who have primitive languages and they cannot pronounce all consonants yet. But i guess that doesnt apply for you….

In addition, รŽยจรŽโ€ขรŽโ„ขรŽยกรŽโ€˜ is louse. You can say รŽยจรŽโ€ขรŽโ„ขรŽยกรŽโ€”รŽยฃ to describe a person who has lice or is a beggar. BUT i wouldnt expect you to know orthography of greek language and recognise that รŽยจรŽยฅรŽยกรŽยกรŽโ€”รŽยฃ with Y and double R and รŽยจรŽโ€ขรŽโ„ขรŽยกรŽโ€”รŽยฃ with EI and single R are two DIFFERENT words…..

รŽยจรŽยฅรŽยกรŽยกรŽโ€”รŽยฃ comes from รŽยจรŽโ€˜รŽยกรŽยกรŽลธรŽยฃ again NO RELATION with psari(fish) and means person with grizzled hair or iron-grey hair……

For any info ask me….will be happy to share with u greek…..

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

eh? ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜•

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

eh what?

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

One of my grandmas recipies of meatballs is very simple and extremely tasty!!!!

1/2 kilo beef minced meat
    1/2 kilo pork minced meat
    1 egg
    2 dry onions
    1 packet of hardtack (in super markets is called galeta or trimeni frigania)
    Salt, black pepper and kayen pepper
    2 leaves of fresh mint, if there is dry mint then just to the tip of the fingers
    olive oil just a bit (no need to measure it, u can tell just by adding)
    and 1 shot glass of OUZO

First mix the 2 kinds of meats GOOD, i always prefer to make meat balls when i buy the minced meat, not defrosted one.
    Then add the 2 dry onions CUT FINE into very small pieces…u can use a mixer to do this….dont worry about the water they will have coz u need that too. MIX WELL
    Then add the whole egg and the hardtack and mix well
    (OF COURSE YOU USE HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Add just a little bit of olive oil!!!….u dont want the oil to be in excess!!!!!

Fine cut the mint with a well sharpened knife and add Salt, Black pepper and Kayen Pepper. Keep on mixing

The meat by now should be hard to deal with….Now is the time to add little by little the ouzo…Keep on mixing until the whole quantity of ouzo is absorbed nicely.

Make the balls, roll them on flour to make them white on the outside, remove excess flour by tapping the meat ball on a hard surface gently (table, cooking board, the sides of the bowl) and fry them in low fire. Do 1 at first to check out if it will dissolve in the frying pan and if it does then it is either too much oil or too much hardtack…Just add another egg and mix again. Always remove floating flour and over fried black pieces of meat and if needed add olive oil in the pan. You can use flower oil (corn or sun flower) for the frying and the meat balls will be lighter and probably healthier…but am greek and i stick to the olive oil taste….hahahaa

Have fun

n
    Another recipy which is traditional and made only on Tinos is fresh octopus with oregano and white vinegar.

1 and 1/2 kilos octopus
    1/2 glass of wine white vinegar
    1/2 glass of wine water
    oil and oregano

Cut the octopus in pieces as big as u like them. Put it in the pot WITHOUT WATER , VERY LOW FIRE, add the lid and let it boil in its own juices. Check out the boiling every 3-4 mins and if the skin is dark pink almost black, remove the octopus form the fire, and wash off the black membrane like skin….
    Put it back on the low fire and add the vinegar and the water. IT SHOULD BE VERY FEW QUANTITY of both liquids. The octopus doesnt need much water coz it hardens so much it is like rubber when u eat it. Let it boil for more than 45 mins. Check out regularly if it needs bits of water and vinegar and add if needed. By the time it is ready it MUST be really soft!!!!! If not then u did sth wrong…

Serve on a plate after adding olive oil and oregano…..

Enjoy….

A variation of this often found in Cyclades is with red sauce from tomatoes….probably you have tasted this….

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ellenis, If you had not mentioned that your fiance’e was coming over, I would have asked you to marry me! :mozilla_kiss:

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

HAHAHAAHAAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

I have proposed to my fiancee to have regularly friends over for lunch or dinner when we settle down in Greece for good. If we get to meet with ppl from this forum i would be glad to invite ppl over for sharing my cooking….I love to cook…..and the more the merrier HAHHAAHA how greek is that e?

When i was in japan ppl (Korea, Africa, Australia, Canada) had proposed i go and cook for them and they would pay me to do so hahahhahahahaha

When i cooked sth it was gone in seconds…..i ALWAYS kept sth for myself in tapers before i showed up with the pot at a friends house. I NEVER got to eat my food when at a party, and i mean NEVER!!!!

gralamel
    Participant
    Neophyte

@waxwings wrote:

Ellenis, If you had not mentioned that your fiance’e was coming over, I would have asked you to marry me! :mozilla_kiss:

sorry waxwings, she is already deeply in love with me.. there is no chance. xaxaxaxaxa

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

am in love with him, is true….
    he is the one who will taste my cooking for the rest of his life xaxaxaxaaxxaxaxaxa

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

@gralamel wrote:

@waxwings wrote:

sorry waxwings, she is already deeply in love with me.. there is no chance. xaxaxaxaxa

Oh so you two are the couple eh? Well it certainly seems that culinary treats will be the order of the day in your household!

Thanks again for that meatball recipe ellinis. Lately my culinary skills have taken a sharp dive since I am working full time and have young kids. Basically I CAN’T BE BOTHERED. But maybe with all this inspiration they will rise phoenix-like from the ashes. ๐Ÿ˜•

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

No question about that at all. I dont know how i will keep him off the kitchen though , taking bites and all…I would love him to do the bbq!!! and i know he knows how to bbq….we are planning for a big bbq at our garden and maybe an oven too….Am into traditional cooking…

If anyone wants advice on cooking feel free to ask or pm me any questions!!

Psari
    Participant
    Neophyte

My wife has a ‘Black Belt’ in cooking…….

One chop and your dead…..

๐Ÿ˜‰

rheia
    Participant
    Neophyte

Oh why oh why didn’t u meet up with one of my sons before?

I hate cooking, so a dil who is a good cook sounds great to me. I don’t think my sons ever really rave on about their Mother’s cooking. maybe 1 or 2 dishes, but that wld be it.

Must try those meatballs tho.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@Psari wrote:

My wife has a ‘Black Belt’ in cooking…….

One chop and your dead…..

๐Ÿ˜‰

I know it’s not healthy to encourage you Psari, but I must admit to having laughed out loud when I read that! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Cant wait to marry him and cook for ourselves. And if we get to make our outside oven it would be amazing for the summer!!!!

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

A suggestion maybe to get a good Italian cook book – similar ingredients but so much better put together !

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

So you prefer Italian cooking more than greek one e? Interesting….pls tell me why…..in japan italians were eating my food like crazy and they always bugged me to cook often…..wonder why….

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

@ellinis wrote:

So you prefer Italian cooking more than greek one e? Interesting….pls tell me why…..in japan italians were eating my food like crazy and they always bugged me to cook often…..wonder why….

Well said Ellinis; also makes you wonder why someone would want to uproot to Greece and then prefer Italian food? :roll:

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

@rheia wrote:

I hate cooking, so a dil who is a good cook sounds great to me. I don’t think my sons ever really rave on about their Mother’s cooking. maybe 1 or 2 dishes, but that wld be it.

Hey mumma, tell Ellinis not to marry that man, you know I’m the right one for her! :(

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

@ellinis wrote:

… When i cooked sth it was gone in seconds…..i ALWAYS kept sth for myself in tapers before i showed up with the pot at a friends house. I NEVER got to eat my food when at a party, and i mean NEVER!!!!

Oh now ellinis you are getting onto dangerous territory here. You will have all these “new men” on the forum (because that’s what you all are isn’t it guys? ๐Ÿ˜† ) rebelling and asking why they have to do any cooking/washing up/domestic chores and they can’t have a wife like you. What a precedent you will be setting, they’ll be expecting us to be seen and not heard next and barefoot in the kitchen preparing all these gastronomic delights for everyone else but never being able to enjoy them ourselves because we are too busy running around like headless chickens in the kitchen and entertaining everyone else. AAAAGH!!

(bit like it still seems to be in large swathes of Greece….) ๐Ÿ˜‰

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

I always showed up at a party, invited to a friends house with a pot of anything i had cooked that day… As for running like a headless chicken trying to manage everything, well……i wouldnt say its like that….perhaps sometimes when the husband invites or brings guests u wouldnt expect (AND THEY ALL WAIT TO BE FED, YOUR HUSBAND MORE EAGER THAN THEM AND YOU NEED TO THINK FAST WHATS LEFT IN THE FRIDGE AND DEEP FREEZER SO THAT EVERYONE IS HAPPY), but in greece we all know that a party preparation starts the day before so that u dont run the next day….

If you want to get back at ur husband for not thinking wisely on informing you before hand that he is bringing friends home or at least call u to ask if it is possible for today, u can always make him go to the market and bring a few things u are short and u do not do this only once but more than 3 times so that he gets the message!!! ASK FIRST OR GO GET ME ANYTHING I NEED AND I DONT HAVE NOW!!!! xaaxaxaxxaxaxaxaxaaxa

As we say in Greece there is always a way to do things….the easy way and the hard way…..men usually choose the hard way, but what can u do…..oh well we love them with their flaws….for sure i cannot live without mine!!!!!

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

Perhaps a little unfair, without further qualification & I am not “knocking” Greek food at all. Also love Indian food, Thai & Chinese, but have no wish to live other than here, where we have resided for the past three years. Perhaps a thought to bare in mind is that I have no Greek heritage & rely on food of the Taverna, or of Greek friends & thus far, although good, can be a little predictable. There is nothing better than simply grilled meat or fish on a warm summer evening, but this in itself is often ruined by overcooking, oversalting & in the case of fish, over use of garlic
    plus probably the other two as well. Why is it that most every conceivable
    vegetable is grown here, but little of this features in the local restaurants & tavernas ? When I asked this of a friend, who is also a taverna owner, she said that people generally go out for the parea, rather than the food, if they want something with all the veggies, they cook it at home ! This does very little for a poor unfortunate Brit such as myself however who wishes to sample the culinary delights that should be on offer, but can never be found – come on all Greek restaurant/taverna owners, let’s have a fuller range available ! Meanwhile – Italian food is a nice change to cook at home, love basil with tomato dishes & correct me if I’m wrong but never seem to see this in Greek cooking, although it is grown everwhere in pots – to keep away insects ? Also a simple variation on a simple salad – the beautiful Greek tomatoes sliced, sprinkled with roughly torn basil & drizzled in olive oil, then left in a cool place for a while to infuse. Love sea Bass – can’t get it here (S.W. Peloponnes) except for just grilled, which is fine, but the option of having it steamed in it’s own juices, perhaps with a few capers, would be nice. Also meat – lamb in particular, superb home reared meat that is on offer – served &q
    uot;pink” with a light Apricot sauce ? Have you ever tried getting meat cooked rare here in Greece ? You ask for it – they “cremate” it !
    Anyhow, on a lighter note – love “Pasto” & make our own, pick all the available wild herbs, collect the wild asparagus when in season (goes great with the pasto & made up into an omelette with village eggs)
    prepare all our own “Kalamata” Olives from our own trees & generally love the place to bits – anyway, who comes to Greece for the food ? Just shove bits of meat on sticks & put it in the fire don’t they ?

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Actually you have touched a sensitive spot….. I was discussing this the other day with one of my cousins on why foreigners when they come to Greece for vacation and they go to a taverna the only things they order is salad, fish or steaks and bread…It will be extremely rare to see a foreigner order fasolakia (fresh beans with tomatoe sauce) or gemista (stuffed tomatoes) or stifado (beef cooked with many onions in the pot)….or any other dish which hasnt have to do with steaks, fish, grrek salad… Only the ones who actually visit greece often are tempted to try the “other” greek dishes, and this happens on their 3rd visit and on.

Which makes me believe either they stick to the tastes they are used to back home (pink meat,almost bloody with apricot sauce for instance) or they have spent so much money on booking hotels and cars to travel or holiday packages, thus they cannot spend anymore on the “other” dishes.

As you highlighted before the dishes found at tavernas are more or less the same without any variety at all, and if there is some difference is only limited to the way of cooking the dish in the particular area….other than that if u eat in an athenian taverna or if u eat in a macedonian taverna the dishes are almost identical. But let us think on this.

Tavernas are for hunging out with friends the parea as u said. We are not very picky on what we will choose at a taverna and we do not go often to tavernas to eat. We just order the dishes available coz is only a one timer and we dont make it our daily food ritual. Most foreigners who are not familiar with greek cuisine think, wrongly in my opinion, that greek food is souvlakia, souvlakia and more souvlakia being the fast food of greece and easy to access almost everywhere, not to mention that with 2 of them the stomach is full…..

People are not aware of the other delights the greek cuisine has SO there is no
    demand. Tavernas, if thought as places of food commerce, rely on demand to offer their goods. If they want to have a succesful business they provide in amounts the dishes which are asked frequently and for the ones who want to try sth more they have a sample of the dishes eaten in a greek home…..

So if you wanted to eat sth MORE than the ones found in a greek taverna, either buy a good Greek cook book, or get invited more to ur friends houses…either works…..Mentioning the italian cooking in a country where u havent experienced the domestic cooking because of personal reasons sounds to me rather incongruous….

By the way i cook also japanese food also very well…3 yrs in japan made me appreciate sushi, sashimi, ramen, udon, ton katsu, and grilled meat ith soy sauce…..You see i didnt stick to sushi and i didnt critisize japanese cuisine just from sushi……

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

There you are you see – I knew you would agree with me !
    Can’t get decent food in the Tavernas, Knew it all along & that’s straight from a Greek (you are Greek?) Now Sushi – the “S” word, you’re treading a very dangerous line there, a veritable Hornets nest is likeley to be disturbed now !

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Not finding what you want in tavernas doesnt mean that u should critisize the greek cuisine on the whole…..

If you cant find it already cooked then try to cook it yourself, and believe me thats how we usually eat our greek food in greek homes…noone brings it home cooked and is certainly not grown on trees and gets gathered when matured…..If u want greek food u cant accuse the tavernas for their choices, u can find different ways to satisfy ur tongue desires….know what i mean?….

Tselementes is a VERY good cook book…has many advices on what to do when things arent working the way they are supposed to…

Have fun

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

@john m wrote:

Meanwhile – Italian food is a nice change to cook at home, love basil with tomato dishes …… Also a simple variation on a simple salad – the beautiful Greek tomatoes sliced, sprinkled with roughly torn basil & drizzled in olive oil, then left in a cool place for a while to infuse. Love sea Bass…… steamed in it’s own juices, perhaps with a few capers, would be nice. Also meat – lamb….served “pink” with a light Apricot sauce ? ……love “Pasto” & make our own, pick all the available wild herbs, collect the wild asparagus when in season (goes great with the pasto & made up into an omelette with village eggs)

Wow, am I hungry now! ๐Ÿ˜€

gralamel
    Participant
    Neophyte

@waxwings wrote:

@rheia wrote:

Hey mumma, tell Ellinis not to marry that man, you know I’m the right one for her! :(

you can whine all you want, we only belong to eachother ๐Ÿ˜›
    we are planning to marry in greece and eventually move to the cyclades.

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

@john m wrote:

There you are you see – I knew you would agree with me !
    Can’t get decent food in the Tavernas, Knew it all along & that’s straight from a Greek (you are Greek?) Now Sushi – the “S” word, you’re treading a very dangerous line there, a veritable Hornets nest is likeley to be disturbed now !

Sushi!! Now your starting to rock n roll John M.

Get your gas ring round this baby…Crab Meat Roll Sushi

Ingredients

3 cups White medium grain rice

***VINEGAR SAUCE
    1 cup Rice vinegar
    1 cup White sugar
    2 tsp Salt (heaped)
    ***FILLING
    1 cup Lump crabmeat; fresh or drained canned, well picked over
    3 Tbsp Namidaร‚ยฎ Wasabi Mayonnaise
    1/2 Cucumber; cut in thin long strips
    6 Nori sheets (seaweed)

Method
    1) Cook rice.
    2) Let steam after cooking for 20 minutes, then put into large mixing bowl and add 1 cup of cooled vinegar sauce.
    3) Toss rice lightly but thoroughly with vinegar sauce.

4) When rice is cooled, spread about 1 inch thick on a sheet of nori, leaving about 1 1/2 inches uncovered at one edge of nori to use as a sealing flap.
    Note: Wet finger tips in leftover vinegar sauce to make rice easier to handle.

5) Mix Namidaร‚ยฎ Wasabi Mayonnaise with crabmeat.
    6) Place crabmeat mix and cucumber in a thin line across the rice.
    7) Roll the rice into a cylinder, nori side out and crabmeat in the middle.
    8) Use a bamboo sushi roller or an acrylic sushi press.
    9) Slice across the sushi roll into 8 pieces and serve with Namidaร‚ยฎ Wasabi Soy Sauce, Cooked salmon, lobster meat, surimi or chicken may be substituted for the crabmeat.

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

Oh dear ! – just knew this would happen ! Hey ! – there you are in the good old U.K. What no fish & chip recipes ? No roast beef & yorkshire ? What a traitor to the cause. How will all the Greeks moving over there be able to assimilate a British life style if this is all you have to offer ?

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

@john m wrote:

Oh dear ! – just knew this would happen ! Hey ! – there you are in the good old U.K. What no fish & chip recipes ? No roast beef & yorkshire ? What a traitor to the cause. How will all the Greeks moving over there be able to assimilate a British life style if this is all you have to offer ?

John M; Dear chap, you have just quoted the very reason why I’m going to make Greece my home in the future. ๐Ÿ˜†

gralamel wrote….you can whine all you want, we only belong to eachother
    we are planning to marry in greece and eventually move to the cyclades.

gralamel, I sincerely wish you & ellinis the very very best for the future,
    I’m glad you have a sense of humour ๐Ÿ˜€

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

How you make roast beef and yorkshire….which part of the animal is prefered for the beef u mention….and what is yorkshire???????

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

@ellinis wrote:

How you make roast beef and yorkshire….which part of the animal is prefered for the beef u mention….and what is yorkshire???????

When I made it, I used a Prime Rib roast. Yorkshire is called Yorkshire Pudding, but it’s not really a pudding. It’s like the dough you use for cream puffs, minus the sweetness – you put it in large muffin tins with some of the grease from the roast and bake until they puff up really big, then you pop them and they deflate (easy and fun to make). I served it once for our Christmas dinner and got rave reviews on it (but you can’t ever go wrong making a dish involving Prime Rib). :)

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

Oh dear as usual a can of worms has been opened. I can’t help agreeing though that the tavernas in Greece could do with a bit of an overhaul in terms of variations on the menu. Athens seems to be blossoming food-wise with more and more contemporary restaurants opening up some serving lovely variations. Just the other week I had a lovely tabouleh salad with feta cheese, baby spinach and italian ham. Yummy!

I do miss these options when we go out for a “treat” near our village. Ok I’m a spoilt city brat!! But we do have to search to find something a bit different when we get out of the big smoke. Do you know the taverna Klimataria in Methoni at all John? We always go and eat there 2-3 times during the summer and particularly go to eat there because the food is so lovely and there is so much variation and influence from other cuisines which I like. Aside from doing plenty of popular staples they do souffles, baked dishes and a lovely selection of appetisers. Even something simple like vlyta, they dress up with a bit of garlic and balsamic vinegar and it’s kati allo! Even though they haven’t got a prime seafront position (just a pretty little vine-covered yard in the back) they do pretty well in the summer because people go there for the food.

So I don’t think the taverna owners are doing it because they are filling demand, I just think some of them are pretty unadventurous and stick-in-the-mud about trying anything new. Then again their average customer probably is as well so it’s a chicken and egg situation I guess. :roll:

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

Would agree with you there Domino, when you do find a place that has encompassed the best of their own cuisine & married it with with anothers, it can very often lift it to a totally different plane. Cypriot cooking with it’s middle eastern influence works well, as does the cuisine of Australia with it’s Pacific rim influence.
    Yes I do know he Klimataria & do like the food – don’t know if it still is, but was recommended in the “Rough Guide” several years ago & prices seemed to go up ! When in Methoni, we also go to Akroyali – the one right down on the beach, under the castle walls, that is nice in a simple kind of way. Slightly off topic I know, but Methoni finally seems to be happening ! lots more people around this year, don’t know if maybe a tour company has taken it on ?

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

It looks as though this string is losing momentum so I thought I would post this for John M…..
    Warning ellinis, do not give this to your fiancee or he won’t be hanging around too long! (maybe you should) ๐Ÿ’ก
    Well John M I detected a bit of home sickness from you so thought you might like this one “TRIPE & ONIONS”……..

600ml (1 pint) Milk
    450g (1lb) Dressed Tripe, washed
    25g (1oz) Butter
    3 Medium Onions, sliced
    3 tbsp Plain Flour
    1 Bay Leaf
    Pinch Grated Nutmeg
    Fresh Parsley

Place the tripe in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
    Bring to the boil.
    Remove from the heat, drain.
    Rinse under cold running water.
    Cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces.
    Place the tripe, milk, onions, bay leaf and nutmeg into a saucepan.
    Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until tender.
    Remove from the heat, strain and reserve the liquid.
    Keep the tripe and onions warm.
    Melt the butter in the saucepan, stir in the flour and cook gently for 2 minute, stirring constantly.
    Make the liquid up to 600ml (1 pint) with milk or cream, gradually add to the saucepan, stirring constantly.
    Bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce thickens.
    Garnish with parsley.
    Serve with potatoes and seasonal vegetables. ๐Ÿ˜†

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

Nahhh – No home sickness here, just sick of home! Never been a tripe sort of person really, although looking through the list of ingredients, strangely enough, this seems very similar to a tripe recipe that is prepared locally – you see a lot of tripe on sale here & it seems to go down quite well.

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

You have surprised me there john m ๐Ÿ˜ฏ I didn’t think that was part of the Greek menu.
    Own goal to me ๐Ÿ˜ณ

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

OH MY GOD TRIPE!!!!!!!!! NO THANK YOU!!!!! I CAN NEVER HAVE THAT THING IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!!! And i mean NEVER EVER…cant stand it, cant eat it, wont cook for nobody!!!! Dont know if the recipy u mention is delicious, but YES we do have tripe soup here and is called PATSAS!!!
    EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, GOD NO! NO THANK YOU

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

It would seem that tripe is a hell of a lot more popular over here than it is in England! Have seen people eating it early in the morning in those little tavernas that serve little old men at 5 o’clock in the morning. (Why they want insist on eating tripe at 5 o’clock in the morning is beyond me.) People seem to swear by it as a hangover cure. But have never tried it myself, just looking at it makes me want to throw.

But hey waxwings I think you really have to include a recipe for Chikken Tikka Masala, Thai Green Chicken Curry or at the very least Lasagne if you’re going to start including good old British recipes onto this thread!

OOOH I am looking forward to a good pub lunch with lasagne and chips! ๐Ÿ˜€

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Domino wrote:

It would seem that tripe is a hell of a lot more popular over here than it is in England! Have seen people eating it early in the morning in those little tavernas that serve little old men at 5 o’clock in the morning. (Why they want insist on eating tripe at 5 o’clock in the morning is beyond me.) People seem to swear by it as a hangover cure. But have never tried it myself, just looking at it makes me want to throw.

But hey waxwings I think you really have to include a recipe for Chikken Tikka Masala, Thai Green Chicken Curry or at the very least Lasagne if you’re going to start including good old British recipes onto this thread!

OOOH I am looking forward to a good pub lunch with lasagne and chips! ๐Ÿ˜€

Domino, you forgot to include the traditional English spaghetti bolognese! :mozilla_tongue:

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

not to mention the English frikase with lamb and by far the most famous dish the English mousaka served with English feta salad!!!!!!!!!! :roll: ๐Ÿ˜‰
    xaxaxaxaxxxaxaxxaxa

Psari
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ah foodรขโ‚ฌยฆ.. , the quickest way to a mans heart….

But the wife disagrees, she said she knows a quicker way with a kitchen knife below the 4th rib.

Does any one have a simple recipe for Stifado, I have tried a number of times and cant crack it……. some one help please…..

I wold like to ‘Wine’n’dine’ the wife …

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

MMMMMMMMMMM Stifado

1 kilo of beef
    1/2 kilo small small dry onions
    olive oil enough to cover the bottom part of the pot,
    half clove of garlic
    1/2 tea cup of white vinegar
    2 tomatoes
    1 packet of conserved tomato juice
    2 laurel leaves
    cooking salt, black pepper grains (5-6)
    and water

Peel the onions and rinse under plenty of water. Keep in a bowl.
    Rinse the meat cut into prefered size, not to large pieces though, and put the pot on the fire and add the olive oil and the meat on high fire. Turn the pieces in the pot several times until they have a light brown color evenly on all sides, lower the fire and add the peeled onions and the water, which would be enough, but not covering them. Add salt, black pepper and the laurel leaves and the half clove of garlic.
    Let the ingredients boil on low fire for 45 mins. Check every now and then and mix if needed. Check the meat if it is cooked inside with a fork. If the fork does not find resistance when pressed on the meat then the meat is done. Try many this many times.
    When the meat is soft and without resistance to the fork test add the tomato juice (packet and both fresh tomatoes turned into juice too)and the vinegar. The water should be few but not all gone by now so let the ingredients boil for another 20-30mins on low fire.

NEVER PUT THE MEAT THE TOMATOES AND THE VINEGAR together from the beginning. They make the meat go hard and cannot get soft….

Serve with fried potatos or rice….Either is fine

Enjoy

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

ellinis – shame on you Girl ! – think you’re being really mean with the garlic there, also, what about the cloves & cinnamon ? This is what we use in the origional English version anyway !

Assimilate
    Participant
    Homeric

Tip for juicing tomatoes: cut in half and rub on a cheese grater until you are left with just the skin in your hand and the juice all over the floor. Now use a mop to get the juice. Or you could just grate the tomato over a bowl to start with :)

Apologies if this is already known, but I only just learn’t it a few years ago.

Psari
    Participant
    Neophyte

รŽยฃรŽยฑรโ€š รŽยตรโ€ฆรโ€กรŽยฑรยรŽยนรฦ’รโ€žรŽยฟรยรŽยผรŽยต รŽยฟ รโ€ รŽยฏรŽยปรŽยฟรโ€š รŽยผรŽยฟรโ€ฆ

Are Laurel leaves the same as Bay leaves,

no cloves or other spices….?

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thats the real stifado recipy!!!

Cloves and cinammon sticks are used in the Ionion Pelagos and Crete.

Lots of foreigners visit these places so my guess id u havent tasted stifado at kalambaka or metsovo or even athens…..

Different regions have different recipies….i stick to tradition.

One tip ALL greeks know, NEVER shared with foreigners, but what can i do? i like foreigners and am not here to see u hurt or sad!!!!

NEVER EAT stifado after 6 o’clock in the evening!!!!!!!!!

Do it and suffer the concequences!!!!!!

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

O.k. ellinis, we are really getting there now, the pending arrival of your fiance gets nearer, so lets see what we have sorted so far. Well, coming from America, his taste wil be different, so getting rid of most of the garlic is good, also the cloves & cinnamon, as he will only be used to this in apple pie ! good move! Next thing – oh dear ! you are using the “F” word ! – Foreigners ! Now look at it this way, Greece fought long & hard to join the E.U. & we are now ALL Europeans. In this instance then, for the sake of argument & as most so called “Foreigners” will be of European heritage, we should refer to them as – None Greek Europeans”
    The term “Foreigners” would now in polite society be considered rascist & perish the thought of a Greek to be considered thus. I hope this helps in your quest & I remain at your service should further advice be needed.

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

I LOVE IT!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!! I REALLY DO!!!!!

What can i say…..I STAND CORRECTED

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHH

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

By the way….

I noticed the advertisement of mr.Gogolos and i have to make some comments

The advertisement has typing mistakes.

รŽยครŽโ€ขรŽยงรŽยรŽโ„ขรŽลกรŽลธรŽยฃ รŽโ€”/รŽยฅ รŽลกรŽโ€˜รŽโ„ข รŽโ€รŽโ„ขรŽลกรŽยครŽยฅรŽยฉรŽย (not รŽโ€รŽยฅรŽลกรŽยครŽโ„ขรŽยฉรŽย)

รŽโ€˜รŽยฝรŽยฑรŽยปรŽยฑรŽยผรŽยฒรŽยฌรŽยฝรŽยตรŽยน รŽยบรŽยฑรโ€ž’รŽยฟรŽยฏรŽยบรŽยฟรŽยฝ (not รŽยบรŽยฑรโ€žรŽยฟรŽยนรŽยบรŽยฟn) รฦ’รŽยญรยรŽยฒรŽยนรโ€š รโ€žรŽยฟรโ€ฆ รŽโ€”/รŽยฅ รฦ’รŽยฑรโ€š.
    รŽยครŽยทรŽยป. ######

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

ellinis, I can’t recall any mention of octopuss! Surely, if my memory serves me well, it is a really delicious dish. :mozilla_tongue:
    Does not this dish epitomize Greek Cuisine?

The only part of this dish that I did not like was when my Grandma used to hang an octopuss in an out house for a week before cooking it. :thumbsdown:

The atmosphere was not so fresca fresca then! eh psari. ๐Ÿ˜†

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

sjs just reminded me that you have forgotten that delicacy to surmount all delicacies…. SPAM!

You can serve spam with chips…… or chips with spam….. or spam with spam…… or even to really make him love you eternally, you could serve him that all time favourite of true food lovers, spam, spam, spam, with spam.

I am sure that many of our fellow forumites with have wonderful recipes for spam to share with you………
    Failing that, I recommend that you purchase that best selling recipe book, “1001 nights of spam”, compiled by some chap whose name is ‘Monty’ something if I remember rightly!

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

kp, and I thought that this was supposed to be a free forum where people could contribute whenever and whatever they like. Surely it is up to individuals to decide that if a thread is boring or of no interest to them, not to look at it ?
    What sort of heat are you getting there?? ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

@waxwings wrote:

kp, and I thought that this was supposed to be a free forum where people could contribute whenever and whatever they like. Surely it is up to individuals to decide that if a thread is boring or of no interest to them, not to look at it ?
    What sort of heat are you getting there?? ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

ehh? ๐Ÿ˜• But I WAS contributing and I am most certainly NOT bored with the thread! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ Wherever did you get that idea? How could one ever become bored with food, especially spam and recommending spam and talking about spam, and writing about spam?
    Goodness me, here I am trying to recommend the ultimate delicacy to ellenis, a meal guaranteed to knock her fiancees socks off, and I’m criticised….. you have wounded me waxie my boy!
    I say, you’re not an american in disguise are you?

By the way waxie, what are you having for dinner tonight? Anything interesting like spam? I strongly recommend it :roll:

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

Calm down kp, the heat seems to be getting the better of you!
    You also assume alot, “waxie boy”??? are you sure?

Whats’s the American in disguise comment? There are a lot of yanks on here so be careful. :smirk:

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Yes what is with the american comment e? Not very fond of americans?…..by any chance…..You all speak english…

Btw i made my one spaghetti sauce today with tuna, laurel and white vinegar and was amazing. I suggest eating it with trimmed cheese to add salt flavor….WAS YUM!!!!

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

There is a way to improve such an excellent dish even more ellenis….
    Just replace the tuna with SPAM! It will be even yummier then!

In fact, if you also replace the laurel with spam, and the vinegar with spam, and the spaghetti with spam, then serve it with trimmed spam instead of trimmed cheese, it’ll be make a perfect dish even more perfecter! ๐Ÿ˜€

Hmmmm…. I wonder if I should be sharing all these wonderful spam recipes with everyone free of charge before I publish my spam recipe book? :roll:

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thank god & (allah) your back ellinis and starting to put some sanity to this thread again. :) Do you have any comment on Octopus? I can remember it being served with rice and things (not spam though)! It is available in the UK and I would love to have a go at it . I just thought maybe you might offer some of your expertise to this humble fan of yours. ๐Ÿ˜€ By the way I also have American roots (you got that right kp, but there is no disguise) ๐Ÿ˜‰

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

By the way Ellinis, I believe you use a lot of these in greek cuisine! ๐Ÿ˜†

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

:roll: To think that KP knew all those years ago :roll:

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHA

VERY VERY VERY GOOD ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Octopus e? YES TRY IT!!! Octopus is amazing in whatever way is cooked….i go for the vinegar marinated octopus after just boiling it!!!! Superb mezes for wine or beer, VERY good idea for the summer, is light too!!

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Someone was kind enough to let me know that the greek counterpart of spam is zwan!!!!!!! EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW ZWAN

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

@waxwings wrote:

What’s the American in disguise comment? There are a lot of yanks on here so be careful.

Oh there you go getting it wrong again KP!! Actually Waxwings I think KP was intimating that he thought some Americans may be a tad touchy. Nothing more than that. I know you didn’t want to offend anyone now did you KP? ๐Ÿ˜€

p.s. I always thought Waxwings was female, but then got confused when s/he said that s/he wanted to marry ellinis. But then again even I want to marry ellinis. ๐Ÿ˜†

So are we going to have a new thread – “What Gender is Waxwings?” โ“

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Domino wrote:

@waxwings wrote:

What’s the American in disguise comment? There are a lot of yanks on here so be careful.

Oh there you go getting it wrong again KP!! Actually Waxwings I think KP was intimating that he thought some Americans may be a tad touchy. Nothing more than that. I know you didn’t want to offend anyone now did you KP? ๐Ÿ˜€

p.s. I always thought Waxwings was female, but then got confused when s/he said that s/he wanted to marry ellinis. But then again even I want to marry ellinis. ๐Ÿ˜†

So are we going to have a new thread – “What Gender is Waxwings?” โ“

Domino, I have been reading posts on gih for some time now and I know there is tounge in cheek humour and it takes an awful lot to make me offended. I just got the feeling kp wasn’t coping with heat very well that day ๐Ÿ˜‰ That must be the yank in me. ๐Ÿ˜†
    A new thread on my gender? Well why not, I have never intentionally tried to hide it. Maybe I might post a picture in time to settle it. :mozilla_sealed:

gralamel
    Participant
    Neophyte

ok.. i guess i need to defend my eleni one more time.. ๐Ÿ˜ก she is only mine!! am getting into the greek importance of defencing my love from others trying to claim her.. ๐Ÿ˜†
    i will make sure to share the full details of her cooking as we are together in 3 weeks. first in athens then to milos and sifnos to enjoy all our time together.
    i hope all of you are enjoying the july heat, it actually is amazingly cool for july here over all (in new jersey) (rubbing it in). keep away from my eleni!!!

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

If you are going to be in Athens in 3 weeks you might be able to make our meet-up at Molly’s gramalel and ellinis!

Actually I have a good question for ellinis because in our family we always have such miserable things to eat on kathara deftera (that horrible cardboardy halva that everyone seems to love so much and that I can’t stand – I prefer the jelly one – sour pickled vegetables etc. etc.) and so wondered what you tend to do for this day. All this talk of octopus made me think there must be some really good clean Monday recipes out there. I had a really lacklustre octopus in rice dish in a taverna – not enough garlic, wine or stock. They really don’t seem to know how to cook rice properly over here or do a decent risotto in my humble opinion, but then I am a bit of a rice junkie and can’t stand it when some plasticky grains resembling Uncle Ben’s are served and restaurants can’t do a decent pilafi. ๐Ÿ˜•

Planoudis
    Participant
    Neophyte

@gralamel wrote:

ok.. i guess i need to defend my eleni one more time.. ๐Ÿ˜ก she is only mine!! am getting into the greek importance of defencing my love from others trying to claim her.. ๐Ÿ˜†
    i will make sure to share the full details of her cooking as we are together in 3 weeks. first in athens then to milos and sifnos to enjoy all our time together.
    i hope all of you are enjoying the july heat, it actually is amazingly cool for july here over all (in new jersey) (rubbing it in). keep away from my eleni!!!

Excuse me, but you are putting me off my food with all this love thing. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ I almost feel sick with all the sweet things you and elleni say about each other ๐Ÿ˜•
    gralamel…. you have a lot to learn about being a Greek man. You must learn to not say so many sweet things to her or she will think she can control you. You must also learn to love your donkey, but beat your woman if you want to be a real greek man:lol: ๐Ÿ˜‰

If you want any more husband tips before your wedding with eleni, then please let me know and I will be happy to give more advice to make you a good greek man. ๐Ÿ˜›

gralamel
    Participant
    Neophyte

:roll: i guess you havent gotten, i am a non greek that does not live a traditional life of greekness.
    the concept of manipulation is not something new in any society either mediteranian or northern europe or the americas.
    a relationship of being the ‘dominator’ is not a relationship. it treats the other person as a lower life form. i am liberated from such a concept as is eleni.
    we are going to always watch that we live in a relatinoship of trust and love, not one of who dominates who, scorekeeping or who wins and looses. if you look at a realtionship in a negative way you have lost already. i can never be a ‘greek man’ as you call it if that is the definition. it is a very restrictive and non loving way to be with a wife that you truely love.
    cooking is just one other way that eleni shows her love, nourishing the body while we nourish eachothers souls.

Planoudis
    Participant
    Neophyte

I must remember to have a bucket ready in front of me when I open your words ๐Ÿ˜† I was nearly very sick on my keyboard when I read this LOL ๐Ÿ˜†

It is okay, I know that perhaps elleni told you what to write, but we all understand you must say these things. ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Whooaa Planoudis! As much as I love this and love your style, (and agree?:roll: ) I would say that you are treading on very thin ice here! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Americans can get very sensitive and humour challenged about these things!
    But I’m pleased to find another fearless ally in the ‘light-the-touchpaper-stand-back-and watch-what-happens’, brigade! ๐Ÿ˜†

Domino
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Planoudis wrote:

I must remember to have a bucket ready in front of me when I open your words ๐Ÿ˜† I was nearly very sick on my keyboard when I read this LOL ๐Ÿ˜†

It is okay, I know that perhaps elleni told you what to write, but we all understand you must say these things. ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
    Welcome to the forum Planoudis I must say I did laugh out loud when I read this but are you sure that gramalel is not being tongue in cheek and really having the last laugh?! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I mean come on gramalel you didn’t really take what Planoudis said about beating your wife seriously did you? ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Next time u will feel like throwing up by such words Planoudis do try to have some VINEGAR close by to help you!!!! รŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽยงรŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽโ€˜รŽยงรŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽโ€˜ ๐Ÿ˜† Ancient egyptian recipy i pressume….

And there is another saying that i would like to share with you รŽลธรŽย รŽลธรŽโ„ขรŽลธรŽยฃ รŽโ€ขรŽยงรŽโ€ขรŽโ„ข รŽยครŽโ€” รŽล“รŽยฅรŽโ€œรŽโ€˜ รŽล“รŽยฅรŽโ€œรŽโ„ขรŽโ€˜รŽโ€“รŽโ€ขรŽยครŽโ€˜รŽโ„ข…..รŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽยงรŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽโ€˜รŽโ€˜รŽยงรŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽโ€˜รŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽยงรŽโ€˜รŽโ€˜ ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

You are so funny…keep on posting ur thoughts Planoudis you give my fiancee and I a very good laugh all the time….XAXAXXAXAXAXXXA

gralamel
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Planoudis wrote:

perhaps we need to square off at fifty paces with dueling pistols… ๐Ÿ˜†
    keep in mind i am an excellent marxman.. you know about americans and their guns ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

john m
    Participant
    Neophyte

What kind of marxman then ? – Karl or Groucho ?

Planoudis
    Participant
    Neophyte

@gralamel wrote:

perhaps we need to square off at fifty paces with dueling pistols… ๐Ÿ˜† keep in mind i am an excellent marxman.. you know about americans and their guns ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

You be Groucho and I will be Karl!:) ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
    If you you are as bad a marksman and your shooting is as bad as your English, then I have no problem. LOL ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

I now have this theory, where I think that there is no ‘gralamel’, there is too much evidence that it is ellenis who has created him to love her the way she wants her man! ๐Ÿ˜† Perhaps I also believe this because I do not want to believe that a man is so soft LOL. Even an american man ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

XAXAXAAXXAXXAXAXXXAXAXAXAXAXAXAXAXAXAXAXAXXAXA

Do u know the Totos joke too?

XAXAXXAXAXAXAXXAXAXAXAXAXAXAAXXA

gralamel
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Planoudis wrote:

@gralamel wrote:
    perhaps we need to square off at fifty paces with dueling pistols… ๐Ÿ˜† keep in mind i am an excellent marxman.. you know about americans and their guns ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

You be Groucho and I will be Karl!:) ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
    If you you are as bad a marksman and your shooting is as bad as your English, then I have no problem. LOL ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

I now have this theory, where I think that there is no ‘gralamel’, there is too much evidence that it is ellenis who has created him to love her the way she wants her man! ๐Ÿ˜† Perhaps I also believe this because I do not want to believe that a man is so soft LOL. Even an american man ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Great will see you in Athens at dawn on the 26th. You are the one in the fools outfit, right?

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Letter to the editor of this illustrious forum:

Dear cur

I must say how thoroughly disappointed I have become with the downward trend illustrated on this hitherto illustrious publication which has recently been hijacked without any challenge by certain gads and boundahs from some ‘Johnny-come-lately’ new land, who are intent on the destruction, in the most horrendous and bloodthirsty manner, of other forumites from one of the oldest democracies in the world! And why would this be? Why? Why? Why I ask you? I will tell you why….. simply for executing ones democratic rights to speak out his mind! I say it again…. simply because this dear man, this gentle lover of soft young men, money, orgies and yachts, isolated on a distant shore, on one of the tiniest islands of these fair shores, dared to speak out, he and his lonely island are at threat of being annihilated, blown out of existence, or even worse, invaded and having a ‘new-world’ form of democracy forced upon them!

Yet here we are in living in the very cradle of civilisation and democracy, indeed many of you more unfortunate forumites even living within sight of the aforementioned cradle high on the hill in the midst of the city of Athens – an ikon to remind us all of what we have to thank this burnt and pleasant land for – and yet we are cut to the quick, indeed to the very soul of our being by some bloodthirsty, gun-toting, rooting, shooting, new-lander who in the guise of defending the honour of his beloved one, would initiate another Iraq in this very land!

Yours truly etc
    ‘disgusted’, disgruntled and disenchanted
    of
    Tunbridge and Bognor

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Domino wrote:

If you are going to be in Athens in 3 weeks you might be able to make our meet-up at Molly’s gramalel and ellinis!

Actually I have a good question for ellinis because in our family we always have such miserable things to eat on kathara deftera (that horrible cardboardy halva that everyone seems to love so much and that I can’t stand – I prefer the jelly one – sour pickled vegetables etc. etc.) and so wondered what you tend to do for this day. All this talk of octopus made me think there must be some really good clean Monday recipes out there. I had a really lacklustre octopus in rice dish in a taverna – not enough garlic, wine or stock. They really don’t seem to know how to cook rice properly over here or do a decent risotto in my humble opinion, but then I am a bit of a rice junkie and can’t stand it when some plasticky grains resembling Uncle Ben’s are served and restaurants can’t do a decent pilafi. ๐Ÿ˜•

LENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There are lots of interesting dishes for lent. The hardest week of all 5 of them is the FIRST one! One needs time to detoxicate from meat and the recommend period is a week to do so. I pressume that meat is a daily main dish for many many households (meat as in beef, pork, chicken, fish) but it isnt dificult to do proper detoxication.

My shrimp in red sauce dish served with spaghetti or pilafi is one choice. Then there is the traditional fasolada (bean soup) also well appreciated on Kathara Deftera. Fried or any other way cooked squids and octopus is nice choice and of course any invertebrates such as crabs, lobster, shrimps, sepia…

Then there are the vegetables dishes….from stuffed eggplants, to spinach pie without cheese….So many to choose from…would u like to tell me what flavors u like….i will give u recipies

gralamel
    Participant
    Neophyte

as i tilt my cowboy hat ๐Ÿ˜† i am so pleased we had a poodle in number 10 downing street that was able to suport shrub (better known in some circles as ‘w’ or george w. i think brits have nothing to criticize being part of ‘the coalition of the willing’
    besides the empire is now weak and the former colony triumphs by having such poodles as certain brits.
    if it wasnt for all the help you gave maybe shrub wouldnt have done the stupid thing he did ๐Ÿ˜›

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

@gralamel wrote:

as i tilt my cowboy hat ๐Ÿ˜† i am so pleased we had a poodle in number 10 downing street that was able to suport shrub (better known in some circles as ‘w’ or george w. i think brits have nothing to criticize being part of ‘the coalition of the willing’
    besides the empire is now weak and the former colony triumphs by having such poodles as certain brits.
    if it wasnt for all the help you gave maybe shrub wouldnt have done the stupid thing he did ๐Ÿ˜›

โ“ โ“
    What does all that mean? I know you’re speaking English, and I also speak English – but I’m lost. What does all that mean? I mean, I keep up on this site for enlightenment and to expand my knowledge on any number of things, but I’m just not getting it. ๐Ÿ˜•

waxwings
    Participant
    Neophyte

@gralamel wrote:

Gralamel, I could not have put it better myself!
    Mary….Keep up darling ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

@waxwings wrote:

Please enlighten me, because I don’t have a clue! “poodle in number 10 downing street that was able to suport shrub” — poodle? number 10 downing street? support shrub? What does it all mean? ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜• And if you really understand all that and think I’m putting you on by playing dumb, believe me, I’m not playing! Some of these treads go way beyond me and it is hard to keep up — and I’m not blond โ—

gralamel
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Mary wrote:

@gralamel wrote:

โ“ โ“
    What does all that mean? I know you’re speaking English, and I also speak English – but I’m lost. What does all that mean? I mean, I keep up on this site for enlightenment and to expand my knowledge on any number of things, but I’m just not getting it. ๐Ÿ˜•

i appologise to those that are not familiar with obscure references…
    mr blair the former prime minister is known as US’s ‘poodle of the atlantic’.
    since kp is calling me a ‘cur’ and being unhappy of my violent threats. Also that the us is a new world country something young… as compaired to the ancient democracy.. greece. yet the brits were still in skins when greece had democracy so who is kp to accuse.
    i am not a fan of mr. bush or his war.. i am a pacifist, always have been
    i am reminding kp that britain joined mr bush in the terms used: ‘the coalition of the willing’. i finally am responding to my brit c
    ousin accross the waters about the age of a country.. just because a country is new doesnt mean it isnt impressive.. i tend to agree with mr kp more than he realises on the topic of force of beliefs on a nation.. i believe we are setting ourselves up for a reaction for what we, great britain included. Eventually ever nation has a peak then a fall. i have no doubt

Mary
    Participant
    Neophyte

Ahhhh! I should have known it was all political. When it comes to political references, I might as well be blond. Thanks, gralamel for explaining all that. You and KP can now get back to it.
    :(

gralamel
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Mary wrote:

@waxwings wrote:

Please enlighten me, because I don’t have a clue! “poodle in number 10 downing street that was able to suport shrub” — poodle? number 10 downing street? support shrub? What does it all mean? ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜• And if you really understand all that and think I’m putting you on by playing dumb, believe me, I’m not playing! Some of these treads go way beyond me and it is hard to keep up — and I’m not blond โ—

ok you obviously dont knwo about the nick name..
    a shrub is a little bush.. get it???

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

gramalel……… my ‘Dear Cur’ was addressed to the ‘editor of this illustrious forum’….. to sjs the administrator ๐Ÿ˜• It only referred to you in the second and third person…… you shouldn’t be so sensitive…… but then it’s okay, as once you’re married, any sensitivity gets knocked out anyway! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

But I am very impressed that you got all the stuff you explained to Mary out of what I said! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ It was all said ‘tongue-in-cheek’ and wasn’t meant to be any sort of deep meaningful statement on world politics! ๐Ÿ˜† It was only a light-hearted bit of fun…… Like Mary, I prefer to play the blonde in real political statements these days…. In fact, I’m off right now to dip my head into a bucket of peroxide! ๐Ÿ˜†

gralamel
    Participant
    Neophyte
    KP wrote:
    gramalel……… my ‘Dear Cur’ was addressed to the ‘editor of this illustrious forum’….. to sjs the administrator ๐Ÿ˜• It only referred to you in the second and third person…… you shouldn’t be so sensitive…… but then it’s okay, as once you’re married, any sensitivity gets knocked out anyway! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

But I am very impressed that you got all the stuff you explained to Mary out of what I said! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ It was all said ‘tongue-in-cheek’ and wasn’t meant to be any sort of deep meaningful statement on world politics! ๐Ÿ˜† It was only a light-hearted bit of fun…… Like Mary, I prefer to play the blonde in real political statements these days…. In fact, I’m off right now to dip my head into a bucket of peroxide! :lol:[/quote
    KP: no offense was taken i too can be tongue in cheek and have a very thick skinned. i can dish it out and can take it. people that know me, ahem, understand my ability to deal tounge in cheek comments. excuse me while i take my tongue out of my cheek, it is sticking out a bit too far at times. oh, for the reference to ‘marxman’, check out this note: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marxman . unlike most americans,those upstarts, i pay attention to the bbc and world news, not just the new y
    ork times to keep updated and know what goes on in the world. be careful about the peroxide kp, you might go completely bald when you peroxide. i myself am bringing heavy sunblocker and a hat when i visit greece. only a little bit of sun at a time. i am one of those wasps, soon to consider orthodoxy. xaxaxa
    ok now i will put my cowboy hat back on and tote my rifle like a good american.

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

dont forget to bring your swim suit too! I love swimming!!!! ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜‰

gralamel
    Participant
    Neophyte

@ellinis wrote:

dont forget to bring your swim suit too! I love swimming!!!! ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜‰

you mean i cant skinny dip??

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

XAXXAXXAXAXAXAXAXAXAXAXAXA

Of course you can!!! Hope you dont mind if i do it too….

Planoudis
    Participant
    Neophyte

gramalel and ellenis: so you like public talk of your personal things? That is good, so if you both like to come to simi we can all 3 swim nude together ๐Ÿ˜› We have a very good beach for nude swimming and other things here ๐Ÿ˜†
    I am happy to take pictures also and post them for this website also ๐Ÿ˜›

ellinis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hello all. Fiancee has left and he is amazed by my cooking. We had a wonderful 2 weeks vacation on Milos and Sifnos islands, tasted seafood of all sorts, made my own specialties and he is TOTALLY loving it. My guess is that the burgers i made won him!!! he told me he hadnt eaten so tasty burgers in his life!!!! xaxaxaxa

Milos is amazing. Has 75 beaches to choose from with crystal clear waters and amazing green blue colors. Milos is famous for the statue of Afrodite of Milos,the Catacombs, and the volcano. A local told us that the capacity of the catacombs is 8000 ppl, and from what we read on line is that Milos has the second largest catacombs site in the world, first is Rome.
    The volcano is dormant and one can see the crater and the volcanic rocks. Milos is a big mining site since ancient times and is amazing that all the northeast side of the islands is being mined.

We tried fried red mullet and the local specialty pitaraki which is small mizithra cheese pie and 3 of the islands famous desserts which are, watermelon pie (karpouzopita), chocolate pie and koufeto (wedding sweet cake!!!!! AT MILOS KOUFETO IS A CAKE)!!!

Sifnos is the island i would love to go again and again and again!!!Not so big, not that many beaches, BUT EXTREMELY TRADITIONAL, QUIET with amazing landscape. Above all villages Kastro which is built on the ancient acropolis of Sifnos thrives with ancient sarcophagus almost on every street, ancient marble stones and steles. The architecture of the houses within the castle walls is magnificent and the view of the sea from up above amazing!!!!

One must try the mastelo dish of baby lamp served with fried potatoes for which u do not need a knife to cut coz it melts!!!
    and the traditional revithada which is chickpeas boiled with local herbs!!!!! Also one must try the bread made on Sifnos at any bakery. SIMPLY AMAZING BREAD!!!!

We enjoyed our stay very
    much and we are already planning our next visit to the islands.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.