Come out of the closet !

Forums Nothing to do with Greece Techie Stuff Come out of the closet !

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  kolofarthos 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

I know there are members out there who have been “outed”, or have admitted to it publicly. ic_shock

YES, I am talking about reading the Daily Mail !

Is there a problem with their site or is it my computer ? I have to wait for widgets for facebook, twitter to load, and now there is a new one (red blob with a “p”) which usually doesn’t load, so I am left with a message at the bottom saying “1 item remaining” and everything just sits there. Also, windows always switches it to “compatability view”

All my other favourites work fine, and I even looked at the Daily Mirror today without any access problem.

HELP, (and advice) would be greatly appreciated, plus of course the usual p1ss takes. :finger:

8)

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@the reiver wrote:

…plus of course the usual p1ss takes. :finger:

8)

Who would even think of taking the piss about you subscribing to Daily Mail… :roll:

I mean, if there’s not even a little challenge, then what’s the fun… 😐

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I will admit to reading DM when transferred there via another site. Sometimes I even go to it directly 😳

I think that you need to tell us your operating system and the browser you use in case that has a bearing.

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

Windows XP Pro, IE8, GoogleUK, & security by Avira.

8)

Eurika, may have cracked it. Used Google Chrome and went straight in without a hiccup. Is Google no longer supporting anything but chrome ? 😳

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

…and there I was going to suggest Firefox with a few selected add-ons to prevent tracking and pop-ups/adware etc………

But if you’re happy with chrome plated daily mails that’s fine………. reb_bravo

Just for a comparison I’ve made an exception and loaded the DM home page. Gosh and Golly it’s huge, no wonder it took 10 seconds to fully load it. They don’t seem to have grasped the idea of providing links in a menu structure rather than sticking it all on the front page!!

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

@kolofarthos wrote:

I was going to suggest Firefox

Started off with Firefox and Mozilla, but when I went onto a “contract” with OTE they only did Microsoft. Or maybe I didn’t know any better ? Probably still don’t.

Anyway, it’s all up and running and even other sites (BBC and Wunderground especially) are working much more smoothly now.

Thanks Kiwi for jogging my memory about Chrome. reb_bravo

8) 8)

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Good you’re running well now.

Note for your info: Mozilla Firefox is an open source browser that is free and anyone can use. It is not dependent upon your broadband supplier – just one of many ways to skin a cat………

If you ever wish to install it just download from the Mozilla.org website. Comes with the capability of adding lots of extras (also free) such as a Greek (and other languages) Dictionary for spell checking, Adobe reader plugin etc.

GlennB
    Participant
    Neophyte

Install Firefox with an add-on called Ghostery. Every time you access a website Ghostery will tell you how many widgets, trackers, beacons, ads and assorted other crap are hitting your PC via the website, and you can opt to block them. It does away with a huge amount of that “Connecting to …”, “Waiting for …” guff that you see flashing by on the bottom left of your screen.

One example – out of curiosity I followed a link to “Rolling Stone magazine’s 100 best rock drummers of all time” (as you do ;)). It had 23 trackers, beacons etc. 23 of the little bleeders.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@GlennB wrote:

Install Firefox with an add-on called Ghostery. Every time you access a website Ghostery will tell you how many widgets, trackers, beacons, ads and assorted other crap are hitting your PC via the website, and you can opt to block them. It does away with a huge amount of that “Connecting to …”, “Waiting for …” guff that you see flashing by on the bottom left of your screen.

One example – out of curiosity I followed a link to “Rolling Stone magazine’s 100 best rock drummers of all time” (as you do ;)). It had 23 trackers, beacons etc. 23 of the little bleeders.

I’d suggest using Ghostery only if you have a reasonably fast internet connection.
    I’m forced to use mobile internet (way too far from any landlines) and have eventually removed Ghostery in sheer frustration as it kept blocking everything up because it was looking for updates all the time. :

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

Try “Adbloc Plus”, not found it intrusive on Chrome at all. Also it easy to click on and off if you wish…..

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

..or even Adblock Edge a further development of Adblock Plus, so it says. Both seem to do a good job without any apparent issues that will cause broadband holdups.

Also recommend Do Not Track Me which seems to do a good job of blocking tracking sites. It also has a feature enabling a user to send sites masked emails thus not revealing your actual email address. Could be a good preventative measure to reduce spam?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.