Bye for now !

This topic contains 50 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  saintdic 1 year ago.

• Author

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

I’ve had some bad news about my health and have to return to England for ongoing medical treatment.
    It’ll be a couple of weeks before we go as we’ve arrangements to make for our house, cats etc.
    However once in England, I’ll be staying at my Mum’s with no internet access, so I’ll be absent from GIH for a while.

Once I’m up and about and can get to the library, I’ll be online again albeit part time.

So don’t think you’ve lost me if I don’t post for a while because as Arnie says “I’LL BE BACK !!”

jeanjeanie
    Participant
    Neophyte

Sorry to hear that Shazzie, and hope all will be well with you in the future.

Best wishes from Jeanie

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

That’s not good news but let’s hope the treatment is!
    Best wishes Shazzie.

What is it with you ladies all leaving Greece at once. :))
    Get yourself a cheapie tablet (HUDL or John Lewis Asus [ I think] came out as good buys for just over the £120..but don’t expect to see American football on one and keep in touch via hospital wi-fi?

Now if I was a cat lover I could offer sitting services for free, but then clan motto is ‘touch not this cat’ 😕

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Sad news shazzie. Be calm…as I always tell myself ‘this too will pass.’ Health is always a battle we have to fight alone but friends and TV give a respite from the worrying.

I wish you strength and a peaceful journey through your illness and a big hug xxx

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Thanks so much for the good wishes everyone.

Kiwi I will especially take strength from your example – positive attitude as much as I can muster.

Actually Kolo, our cats are outdoors 90% of the time – just coming home for food and sleeping when it rains !!
    So not much trouble really. Even KP managed to cope with them !!
    I do have a Hudl, so as long as the hospital has WiFi I may be in touch more than I thought.

If anyone is looking for a place to stay for a few weeks or even months, our house is 7 minutes from a long sandy beach, 10 minutes from Kalamata centre.
    You would need a car though.

It might be a good base for anyone looking to explore the Peloponnese.

Might be nice to have someone in the house rather than leaving it vacant.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Argh! Shazzie, I would dearly love to take up the offer of the house and pay you a pittance as well :)) you have to agree, Timing is EVERYTHING. That’s the lesson in life I keep learning over and over. I have an appointment next week after some new blood tests. Fingers crossed no new markers have appeared. Who knows, Greek summer isn’t here yet and I could go really nutty and get on the next plane yet.

I sure hope you do have some wifi because it really is a comfort and time waster for when you get your strength back. Take heart…the body is pretty amazing and it never ceases to surprise me how it heals and tries to get back to normal albeit with a rather fashionable looking ‘zipper’ down the entire length :mrgreen:

PM me if you need to download some angst. :nod:

rover
    Participant
    Neophyte

Really sory to hear this. Keep strong and best wishes for a full return to good health.

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Well Kiwi if you get the all clear and decide to flee NZ, you are more than welcome to our house.

Fingers crossed for your results.

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

Terribly sorry to read this, hope all will be well soon.
    Being ill must be difficult, but having to leave home and pets doesn’t make it easy 😕

Hopefully you will be on line and enjoy the youtube films kolly will be making of your cats.

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

OK that’s it. All arrangements made and we leave for England Thursday.
    Ferry to Italy then a few days drive to the Channel Tunnel.

I’ll post when I can.
    Don’t let GIH fade away while I’m gone !

Kiwi, Kolo and all you regulars keep things going as usual.

Bye bye for now !

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

Met Shazzie, albeit briefly, today at the Battle of Kalamata remembrance day (74 years on) and she was in fine form. Noisiest table there at the buffet. :))

Was able to wish her well, in person, for her stay in the UK.

8)

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

Wishing the very best for you, Shazzie!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Hope you have good weather for the ferry ride shazzie..all the best, will be thinking of you.

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

Hope you had a good journey and will be on GIH soon again!

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Yep, best wishes and I hope the weather is not too big a shock ic_wink

We are all doing our best to keep up posting but it’s all getting a bit technical and philosophical at the moment with all the serious issues. We need more on sausages, sunshine and cheap wine!
    …….so tried my hand at Greek rice pudding yesterday. Delicious, though I have only had a small sample so far!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Did you add lemon peel Kolly. That’s what makes it nice.

Yes I agree, we need sunny boys recipes and a bit more frivolity on the site. I notice there are a lot of readers, but no writers. I guarantee that anyone new or from the past writing here will get a huge response and a gasp of relief that the site lives on. Anything someone asks or writes is valid and respected and very welcome. reb_bravo

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

mmmm yes, lots of zest, cinnamon stick, nutmeg and served tonight chilled and topped with ground cinnamon too! Only problem was I got fed up cooking it to thicken and stirring it with the spoon so got it stuck to the pan bottom!

Come on now Kiwi you must have some good recipes or do I have to rely on the net and books?

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Don’t cook it the old fashioned way Kolly. Start cooking the rice with a little water to par cook it, then when it’s almost absorbed, boil it in milk until it thickens. I cheat and while it’s still very loose and sloppy, I add a teaspoon of custard powder mixed in a little cold milk…it gives a warm colour and nice flavour, add the lemon peel near the end. I stop the cooking while it’s still quite sloppy as it thickens up as it cools.

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

reb_bravo Talking about food reb_bravo

That is a good tip kiwi! Will try next time. Thanks.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Ah yes did similar without the custard powder and still got it to stick a bit – too high a heat and too little spoon activity, nevertheless…..

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Thinking of you shazzie. Hope your journey is not too difficult and you have some good results. Think of the lovely sunshine and warm waters for when you get back to Greece. Write when you can.

We are having unseasonably calm weather for the last few days (earthquake weather :)) ) it’s almost ominous.

Get well soon reb_bravo

Sancho the Fat
    Participant
    Neophyte

@Shazzie wrote:

OK that’s it. All arrangements made and we leave for England Thursday.
    Ferry to Italy then a few days drive to the Channel Tunnel.

I’ll post when I can.
    Don’t let GIH fade away while I’m gone !

Kiwi, Kolo and all you regulars keep things going as usual.

Bye bye for now !

Very sorry indeed to hear of your troubles. Hope you’ll well again very soon.

If it isn’t too late, here’s a little trick I learnt from an Italian lorry-driver called Jack on how to save on Italian motorway tolls.

As you may know, if you lose the ticket-thing you got when you got onto the motorway, then when you exit at the other end they’ll charge you as if you’d got on at the very beginning. That way they think they’ll discourage long-distance drivers from accidentally-on-purpose ‘losing’ the ticket and then saying they came on at a stop only 10 killjoys down the road. However, it’s their downfall.

I take it you’ll be driving from Ancona to Milan. In that case here’s the procedure:

1. Get on the motorway at Ancona and throw your ticket out of the window;

2, Drive as far as the very last exit before Milan (we’ll call it Milan-minus-one);

3. Keep on going – i.e. drive past Milan-minus-one – but slow down. You’re now between Milan-minus-one and Milan itself (which is the end of the motorway);

4. Seize the first opportunity you spot to do a quick “U” turn. (There are gaps between the sides of the motorway, for road-menders, emergency services, etc.) You’re now heading back in the other direction;

5. Exit at Milan-minus-one and tell them you’ve lost your ticket.

They’ll now charge you from the beginning of the motorway, but, and this is the point, at that exit station, for that side of the motorway, the beginning of the motorway will mean Milan itself, only a few killjoys down the road, and for that distance the price will be tiny ! 8)

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

Sancho,

Are you serious ! Have you ever driven that road…..most weekdays it’s a death trap let alone doing a “U” turn. A related point I always plan my Italian drive (Greece to UK) to land in Italy on a Sunday when most heavy goods vehicles are prohibited from using motorways……much quieter.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Hell sancho I broke into a sweat just reading the words U turn on a fast motorway teeming with Italian drivers. 😆

Sancho the Fat
    Participant
    Neophyte

Remember that Shazzie’ll be doing the “U” turn nearly at the end of the motorway, where the traffic always goes a lot slower. (Partly, I imagine, because Italian drivers know that they’re likely to come across giant international articulated lorries doing “U” turns at that point.) Anyhow, there’s another way:

This way requires a bit of preparation. You need to have another lorry driver – let’s call him Jack – doing more or less the same stretch of motorway in the other direction at about the same time as you. So if you’re doing Ancona to Milan, you’ll need a driver doing more or less Milan to Ancona. (Something similar, like Milan to Pescara, will do too.) You’ll also need to find a motorway service station – autogrill in Italian – somewhere between the two end-points, with a physical connection between the part serving one carriageway and the part serving the other. There’s one just north of Bologna, for example, with a glass bridge connecting the part on the northbound carriageway and the part on the southbound carriageway.

You arrange to meet your friend Jack at the service station. In the gents’, maybe.

Now it’s simple. You drive onto the motorway at Ancona, collecting your “Ancona” ticket from the machine, and head north, while Jack gets onto the motorway at Milan, collecting his “Milan” ticket from the machine there, and heads south.

You meet Jack at the agreed time and place – second stall on the left, say, at about three – at the service station, and – this is the cunning bit – you swap tickets.

You then set off again, but this time with a ticket issued at Milan. All you need do now is leave the motorway at the very last exit before Milan and pay the tiny amount it’ll change you for the five or ten kilometres it thinks you’ve done !

And Jack does something similar at Ancona or Pescara or wherever.

Kewl or what ? No “U” turns needed at all. They do it all over Europe I believe. :nod:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Amazing! Who would have even thunk it…they need to make a Facebook page to meet other drivers on opposing stretches. They probably have already. I hate tolls at the best of times. Thievery.

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

@Sancho the Fat wrote:

You need to have another lorry driver – let’s call him Jack – doing more or less the same stretch of motorway in the other direction at about the same time as you. :nod:

Now I knew I kept the CB radio for a reason :)

Sancho the Fat
    Participant
    Neophyte

By now Shazzie will either have misjudged her “U” turn and be lying squashed, as flat as a pancake, on the motorway somewhere between the Milan-minus-one exit and Milan, or she’ll have judged it right and be heading north again.

Assuming the latter

There’s nothing much of interest in Italy north of Milan, so keep straight on to Switzerland. Aim to stop at Vevey, where Charlie Chaplin lived his last years with his wife Oona

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Crikey Sancho, not sure which is more scary – your money saving tips or my health problem !!!! 😯

Fortunately we had an uneventful journey over and arrived in England unscathed.

First port of call was my GP, who said yes I do need to get the lump checked out, so then it was waiting for the hospital to send me an appointment. I finally got my appointment letter today – only 3 weeks after my GP sent the ‘Urgent’ request.
    Unbelievably the appointment is for 16th July ! reb_popo

I phoned the hospital to see if I can get seen earlier but was told no.
    Then I phoned my GP and told him the date. He was surprised at the wait and has sent a request for an ‘expedited’ appointment.
    So it’s wait again with fingers crossed for an earlier appointment, otherwise a 5 week wait ensues.
    NHS waiting lists take no account of pain and worry obviously !!

I’m back on-line albeit a bit hit and miss so it’s good to be able to catch up on the news.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Nice to hear from you shazzie. why not take a quick trip back to Greece and chill out for a while. As for the waiting times, que sera sera…it won’t change the outcome.

Over here they have been protesting to legalise medical cannabis, and the Minister allowed it for one case on a one off basis. I guess it’s a start.

Sancho has been keeping us all very amused and informed reb_bravo he’s turning out to be a real hive of information. Now my curiosity about him has been tweaked, but alas he’s into Russian women :))

Back to my beetroot and sweet potatoe soup. It’s winter here remember and the wind is peaking a 130 k today.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@kiwi wrote:

Sancho has been keeping us all very amused and informed reb_bravo he’s turning out to be a real hive of information. Now my curiosity about him has been tweaked, but alas he’s into Russian women :))

Methinks he’s into anything female (preferably human though) that’s half his age max and able to financially support him in the lifestyle he prefers (which is not neccesarily the lifestyle he’s currently used to)…

:mrgreen:

(Well, I’d be…) 😳

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Back to my beetroot and sweet potatoe soup.

Ooh that sounds tasty Kiwi – home made ?
    The weather has just turned chilly here after a week or so of warm weather.
    A nice steamy bowl of soup is really appealing.

Not much chance of a brief return to sunny climes I’m afraid ( bank manager says NO !).

Still we’re hoping to catch up with long lost friends and relatives so that’s good ( for us anyway – maybe they think differently !).

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Yes it’s homemade. Beetroot, sweet potatoe, potatoe and carrots boiled hard and then puréed seasoned and cream swirled through. Guaranteed to give you red pee and fear for days 😆

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Thanks for the recipe Kiwi.

I’m definitely going to risk red pee and make some ! 😆

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Forgot, I add some chopped spinach after its been puréed, and give it a quick boil. Just a bit of added goodness.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@kiwi wrote:

Forgot, I add some chopped spinach after its been puréed, and give it a quick boil. Just a bit of added goodness.

The whole thing sounds só healthy, it’s sickening… :

:mrgreen:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Exactly Ian. After eating fish and chips and food that’s bad for me almost the entire week, I decided under the circumstances I better go on a health binge. :))

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Beetroot?
    I can heartily recommend Mrs K’s beetroot chocolate cake! Only problem is she never makes ’em big enough 😆

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@kolofarthos wrote:

Beetroot?
    Only problem is she never makes ’em big enough 😆

This seems to contradict your sub-script? 😕

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

No subby Ian, they just get eaten too fast as everyone wants several pieces! The best chocy cake
    I’ve ever tasted!
    I was just surprised at the posts about the famous red ( other colours are available ) root ic_wink

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

That explains why some of the coffee shops have chocolate cake with a distinctly purple colour kolly. My favourite is mud cake with whipped cream on top. They did a fantastic one in Sweden called kladdkaka.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Klad in what? :))

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Klad in chocolate.

[https://www.scandikitchen.co.uk/recipe-kladdkaka-sticky-swedish-chocolate-cake//url] yummy

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

and there my brain told me kaka might be something else….. 😆

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@kolofarthos wrote:

and there my brain told me kaka might be something else….. 😆

Is that what you got in your brain…? 😯

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Probably :(

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Well months have passed and I’m finally back in Greece !  Albeit that I have to return to the UK early next year.

It has NOT been a happy return !!   reb_popo

We arrived at the house to find our bougainvillea so overgrown we couldn’t get in the front door !

Then we find the house has fleas kindly introduced by our cats.   reb_popo

Second day home and while trying to crop the bougainvillea I drop a tool on my foot and break a toe.   :negative:

Finally our poor pooch (who had a brilliant time in the UK) is violently ill and we’ve spent all day today and 150 euros at the vet. And the prospect of at least 2 more days treatment.   :unsure:

So glad to be back ? I don’t think so !!

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Ah the joys of travel. Hope you and the pooch get better soon. At the moment trying to decide which flat needs the least work and will the price drop accordingly.

Only found one agent with a good approach, met me in the morning took me in her car to see 4 flats. Shame none were quite right. Otherwise it is a struggle. Ah well.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Welcome back shazzie. Hope yo feel great.

Joe i was looking around Pireaus and East and had a brilliant agent, wish I could figure out where I wrote his name and number, since getting back here all my stuff is everywhere.

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Goodness, what an escapade…..

And I’ve only just caught up with this thread…. don’t know how I missed so many of the posts on this thread back in the summer……

It was clear that I had missed a lot of it as Sancho was recommending something about surepticiously meeting friendly truckers called ‘Jack’ in the loos on the motorways in Italy (!!!) and I missed all the comments I could have made at the time! :whistle: …………… What a waste! :mrgreen:

saintdic
    Participant
    Neophyte

Best wishes Shazzie.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.