Buying a TV in Athens

Forums Dealing with Greece Practicalities Buying a TV in Athens

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  kiwi 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Despite still having problems getting the cash to move I have decided not to take my very large CRT TV and will be buying a new digital smart tv (still prefer the picture on a CRT but ho hum) I would hope that when you fire it up you can choose the language for the menus but is it easy to get to the English or will I need a native to read the start up screen?

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

We bought our Smart TV a couple of weeks ago.
    I freely admit to being a tech dunce but the set up was super easy even for me.
    The language option is the first menu that popped up, just scrolled down to English and pressed ‘OK’ – simple.

The rest of the set up was easy too.

There;s some good deals to be had at the moment too.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I agree with shazzie. We also had bought a cheap tv and the menu was able to be changed to English. Why get an expensive smart tv. My understanding is that you can get a dongle like chromecast that makes it like a smart tv as long as it has a USB point. Same with Apple TV box. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

If you decide to buy a smart TV and want it to view certain web sites (especially film related ones)
    make sure the retailer shows you it can stream the format from the site you ask for.

Many, many TV’s can not, most can not stream “flash” based format as their processors are not “man enough” or the company who make the TV have not paid to do so…Flash is on its way out, but the same applies to several other formats also…..Makes and their ability vary dramatically, yet all are marketed as “Smart TV’s”

You “may” be better opting for UHD (Ultra high definition) as this is the next TV development, with or without “smart” technology and just using HDMI links connecting a laptop…….

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Thanks guys, that’s good to know, one less thing to worry about.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

We have a smart tv now and in all honesty I never use any of the features, and never use it as a computer to go to a link to watch something because as grocer says, it needs flash and they don’t provide it and you can’t download it even if directed to the website. As for using it with Skype…it never works and irritatingly rings in the middle of a programme while we all scramble to figure what to click on, by which time the caller has hung up and we ring with the laptop. I signed out of Skype in the smart tv in disgust.

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

We’re the same Kiwi.
    Huge menu of apps and gadgets and we use the tv for – well, watching tv !!!!!

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

@Shazzie wrote:

We’re the same Kiwi.
    Huge menu of apps and gadgets and we use the tv for – well, watching tv !!!!!

Same here 😳

Although maybe even worse: husband always has the remotecontrol untill he pushes a wrong button and the tv doesn’t do what it should do and all of a sudden I have the remote and can solve the problem 😈

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Face it alien, us women are smarter than the fellas. Mine always manages to change channel the minute I say to turn up the volume so I can hear something important…oops…grrrr!

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

😆 Good to read that kiwi! Always thought my husband did it on purpose: switching to another channel in stead of putting the sound up.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Hey that I’ll be Mr Alien changing from the soap opera to sport to get away from indoctrination to reality TV! Sneaky eh? Oh dear, the ploy is obvious now :(
    Sorry fellas for letting the cunning be revealed…….. 😳

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Will a British TV work in Greece? I have just found out that they use the same system as France.

Shazzie
      Participant
      Oracle

Yes Jo.

We brought our, quite old, :good: TV over from England and it works fine. :good:

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Thanks for that Shazzie, I would have hit the thanks button but it has disappeared.  :good:   :good:   :yahoo:

One less thing I have to buy.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Yup…no thanks button. He better not have hidden it n some obscure list. :-)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.