Burial on private property

Forums Living in Greece General Discussion Burial on private property

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  KP 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Just curious, it’s not an issue I expect having to deal with for at least a couple of decades from now… :unsure:  and then I think that I, for myself, would opt for cremation anyway. :bye:

Recently in the Netherlands a man received official permission to bury his wife’s remains in her own beloved garden.
    There are some limitations to the possibility of receiving permission for this (such as size of property and distance to public roads etc.) but I thought it was a wonderful idea that one can lay one’s body to rest in a privately chosen location (if you or a good friend happen to own it). :good:

Which made me wonder; does Greece allow burial on private property? :scratch:
    Apparently there are lots of people who would have plenty space for a private grave but would they be able to actually have one?

Anybody knows? :unsure:

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Not certain, but if it’s the same as other Catholic countries, it’s unlikely as a main requirement for burial is consecrated ground.

On a more cynical note, the Catholic church makes a massive income from burials and all the surrounding palaver. They won’t encourage anything which jeopardizes that !

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

I always think burial in Greece is rather a gruesome business unless you can afford the buy the grave outright which I am told can be as much as 150,000 euro !

Most rent the grave….then of course you have “digging up” after 3 years and the body / bones given back to the family.  Normally then placed in village or personal “bone church”

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I’ve told Kathleen to just stick me in a bin bag and put me out for the bin men to pick up and dump! I really won’t be bothered by then! :yahoo:

In the words of The Good Book, “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body……”. :rose:
    (Matthew chapter 10, verse 28)

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

I’ve told Kathleen to just stick me in a bin bag and put me out for the bin men to pick up and dump! I really won’t be bothered by then! :yahoo:

That’s pretty much my stance. Only I figured I’d only mention the realistic option :scratch:

In the end it’s all about how those left behind feel about it. :bye:

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Yes Ian, as you rightly say, it’s really about those left behind and how they feel about it.

My lot should feel quite a sense of relief to have got rid of me at last!
    With that in mind, I just thought they’d prefer to spend the money on celebrating rather than on some dreary funeral! :good:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.