Bank note issues

Forums Living in Greece Daily Life Bank note issues

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  bubble 1 year ago.

• Author

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

I took a 5 euro note out and it tore in half. The shop keeper looked as if I was trying to pay him with a still beating babys heart. The same thing happened when another 5 only tore half way.

I went to Alpha bank to get them changed but they wouldn’t. After some problems I finally found out that the only bank that will give you new for old is the National Bank of Greece.

I hope it is not like this outside Athens.

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

I wouldn’t know. :unsure:
    So far I’ve not come across a situation where a note tore in half or where I needed to change old notes for new. :scratch:

I have tried to change Monopoly money for Euro’s but haven’t found a bank willing to do so  yet… :wacko:

I’ll let you know when I do. :good:

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

Well Jo, next time you’re running a few notes of the printer at home, make sure you add a bit of starch to strengthen them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bubble
    Participant
    Neophyte

I think due to the on-going Capital Controls the National Bank of Greece is the only bank where you can carry out certain actions even exchanging certain currencies such as Turkish Lira. Changing banknotes certainly was one. Really difficult for us on a small island with a round trip to Rhodes taking anything in excess of 7 hours and costing 30€ without an overnight in a hotel!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.