Balsamico

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  sundodger 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

A few years ago I read something about Greek balsamico. Had to read it twice, after visiting quite a few Greek islands I couldn’t remember ever tasting balsamico. Planned to keep an eye out on my next visit but forgot.
    We now have a good Greek restaurant on ‘bicycle distance’ in NL and I happened to order a salad and wow that balsamico was delicious! Ofcourse I asked if I could see the bottle, so I knew what to look for in Greece. It was from the Meteora. Jammie, very nice.

During my visit in May we were in Crete, but I couldn’t find the Meteora balsamico. Never mind I took 2 different Crete variaties and tasted one yesterday. Much redder: does that mean ‘younger’?

In what dishes do the Greeks use balsamico, because I do try many dishes on different islands. Or is it a typical Mainland dish?

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

According to this website this is about the No 1 in Greece (aren’t they always the best!)?
    http://www.papadim.com/en/frequently-asked-questions/

Not certain about your question but I think you are correct.
    We have never had it in Greece so must be missing something on our salads but have had Italian (which must be inferior reb_popo 😉 ) Last visit to York we found a great wee shop called the Hairy Fig which had a really huge selection of balsamic vingars. We bought the 25 year old as we could not justify the 100 year old variety (it was Italian anyway :) ) From memory (and that’s non too good these days…what was I writing?,,,,,) the older stuff was darker as well as stronger tasting and thicker.

Must try it on our next ‘Greek’ salad! and any other dishes you find out from your thread!

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Try this chicken with honey and balsamic recipe. Use a translator.

http://mageirikikaisintages.blogspot.gr/2010/11/blog-post_13.html :)

altohb
    Participant
    Hoplite

That sounds yummy – will certainly give it a try.

Balsamic – just lately I’ve been able to buy “light” coloured balsamic (in Xalkiadakis & Ariadne supermarkets) Ideal for use in making onion marmalade, as it doesn’t add colour.

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

I think I will finish my Italian 30 year old balsamic in stew or soup and quick get a start on the other bottle of Cretan balsamic I bought.
    Hopefully I will find the (dark) Meteora one in September in Greece.

Strange the Greeks don’t really seem to use it themselves though.
    As long as they keep on making it, I am happy :))

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Best use for it is to cut aubergines and zucchini into thin strips and either fry or char grill them, then lay them on a plate and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar…delicious. Also, the other thing I use it for is roasted green peppers whole, then cut in half or quarters and put into a jar covered with balsamic…nirvana.

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Use it how you like & where you like to “lift” the flavour of most foods, good in stir fries & veggie dishes. As a salad dressing mix oil, balsamico & honey together, for a delicious flavour. Locally produced balsamico widely available in the Peloponnese & used a lot in the restaurants on the coast, especially in the Navarino area

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Those are the typical uses for Balsamic, but you really should try it on fresh fruit!
    Slices of apple or pear, etc with a trickle of the dark Balsamic…. or even better, trickle a bit of honey over the fruit first, then add the Balsamic and the sweet and sour mix is amazing!

The older the Balsamic the better it tastes, with a really good one being at least 30 years old!
    They can start with a 50 gallon wooden cask of Balsamic and each year or so move it into a new barrel and as it evaporates, they can end up with a gallon at the most of the 50 gallons after many decades, which is why a litre bottle of really top Balsamic can cost hundreds of pounds.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

So we could speed up the process cheaper by boiling it down… :))

Alien
    Participant
    Oracle

I gather only a posh restaurant in Greece would use it, now I know why I have never tasted it in Greece before.

KP don’t forget to try it on strawberries :nod:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.