Attention All Rhodes Residents! What's living in Rhodes really like?

Forums Living in Greece Daily Life Attention All Rhodes Residents! What's living in Rhodes really like?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  russellsnr 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author

WriterArtist
    Participant
    Hoplite

What’s it like?  Can anyone tell me what’s good and what’s not so good about living in Rhodes?  We are definitely moving to Rhodes within the next year or two, so would really appreciate your candid thoughts and reflections.  I already know about the environment and the fact Rhodes is indeed the sunniest place in Europe, just about; that in itself gets my vote! :good:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Hope you get some responses. The forum has lost a number of regulars lately. Can’t help you in your quest I’m afraid.

russellsnr
    Participant
    Hoplite

Hi, Ok lived on Rhodes now for 9 years and it is an amazing place especially in the summer time with thousands of tourists from all over the world. In the winter time so differant, hardly anyone on the roads and most of the summer time attractions closed from end of October but if you want to explore the island that is the time to do it.

Cost of living has gone up quite a lot from when we first arrived,then it was about 60 cents for a litre of petrol now average around 1.60 a litre but then again that is all over Greece, it is still cheaper than the UK to live here, water bill for 2014 was 110 Euros for the year.

Weather wise the winter time temp during the day is anywhere between 15 to 20C most days however like any place else we still have our winter time and heating is required from around mid November through to March time especially at night.

Food shop once a month for us and once you no where to shop you can save a few Euros, plenty of goods on the shelves and although a little expensive there is an English shop on the road to the Euro Medica.

Now in saying all this you may have noticed that we have our house on this site for sale but that is no reflection on the island or the Greek people it is just after 9 years we want a change, end of!!

If you have any specific questions please ask and if I can answer I will.

Russ

WriterArtist
    Participant
    Hoplite

Hi Russ

Apologies for only just realizing there was a reply!

Many thanks for that. Interesting post.  Sorry to hear you are leaving the island?  We are intending to basically early retire, then eventually die on Rhodes!  But only after about 3 decades!  Best of luck for a smooth removal and wish you a happy relocation.

We are looking for a place in Ialyssos, or Rhodes town; although the old part is wonderful, properties can be cramped and expensive.

Is Koskinou a nice place to live?

Best wishes

Keith

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

I thought about trying to go to school there, then I could call myself a Rhodes scholar. :)

russellsnr
    Participant
    Hoplite

I thought about trying to go to school there, then I could call myself a Rhodes scholar. :)

All I can say about Koskinou is from waht I here, it is one the most expensive places to buy a property but as I say only what I have heard.

Russ

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.