Athens estate agents recomendations

Forums Living in Greece Property Athens estate agents recomendations

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kiwi 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

symbiosis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Hi all

I have a property in Athens with development potential that I’m considering selling. Can anyone explain the selling process and costs and have any recommendations for reputable agents in Athens please?

Thanks

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

Sorry, no contacts in Athens. :(

But do you think this is an opportune time for selling?
    I hear prices are about through rock-bottom, due to all the property taxes everybody is trying to get rid of everything. :roll:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I have a good friend in Athens in real estate who tells me he has not sold for a year and has packed it in. Totally dead is his response. It’s not only the taxes the buyers worry about but the constant law changes and the capital gains tax they have at present, which I am told will change but who knows which way.

symbiosis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thanks both, agreed now is definitely not the best time to sell however I need to at least weigh it up

Any thoughts anybody?

symbiosis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Sorry to bump this but anyone recommend estate agents in Athens?

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Sorry, but I don’t know of any surviving estate agents in Athens, though I do have a close friend who is buying up a number of bargain opportunities in land and housing throughout Greece at the moment! He’s a cash buyer but he knows the markets and what’s available and so won’t pay the sort of prices which were being asked in a more normal market! So if your property or land is going at a really good price for what it is, contact me through a personal message and I’ll pass on emails etc for contact.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Tis a sad state of affairs regarding property. It is exactly the down sides and unknowns that have put me off even contemplating purchasing (as well as lack of dosh!!) but at some prices I have heard about I can understand an investor’s position with regard to risks vs costs. The market will recover some time, but possibly not some time soon.

I believe Athens is the worst market but how is it in Saloniki, other town and in country areas? They are subject to the same vagaries but possibly tourist purchases keep prices a little bit more regular? I never cease to be amazed however at some of the prices currently being asked for property that might appeal to second home owners. I guess they do not realise the really depressed state of the market and the current values.

The only Estate Agent I know of in Athens has also stopped trading but I note that property is still advertised (generally just foreign web sites etc.), some of which seems to have sold so presumable there are still some working agents?

KP
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Spot on kolo…. and like yourself I’m amazed at the prices some dreamers are still asking for their property! However, there are also a fair amount of bargains to be had. We were negotiating a joint industrial and residential site with a large house, factory and warehouse on it very close to the Corinth canal a couple of months ago for a foreign client and finally had it offered at 350k Euro for the whole lot, when 3 years ago the official valuation was just over 3 million Euro!!! 😯 Also, houses on the Dodecanese islands which were going for 200k to 400k recently, are now going for under 100k…..
    So perhaps now IS a good time for you to be buying Kolo? Even if just a piece of bargain land which you can build on at a later time!

I don’t think that these houses and land are now going cheaply, but at their right prices at last! The market has been so overinflated for so long, the bubble had to burst eventually! Unfortunately it’s a real shame for the ex-pats who have bought houses at the inflated end of the market and now need to sell…. 😥

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

That’s an amazing price difference for the bit of land, kp!

So perhaps now IS a good time for you to be buying Kolo?

Please publish your loan rates for someone without security? I trust it will be lower than W-onga….. :))

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Agree kp. Thess prices are just like Athens, very low many bargains. In fact bargains everywhere. Its not the time to sell for any expat if they can avoid it.

I know one Athens Agent, with a zillion places on his books and no buyers. He is of course going broke.

symbiosis
    Participant
    Neophyte

Thanks all – yep, property is in a really depressing state right now!

KP – will PM you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.