Anybody using Windows 10 yet ?

Forums Nothing to do with Greece Techie Stuff Anybody using Windows 10 yet ?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sjs – GiH Admin 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Just wondering if anybody has gone to Windows 10 yet and how they think it is. I am still missing XP I hate the way 8 just updates without asking.

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

I just recently upgraded from Win8 to 8.1. Within two days my laptop pretty much died. It was so frustrating that I bought a new MacBook this week. But I do plan on getting the other laptop repaired for the grandkids to use so I’ll be interested in Win 10. I don’t upgrade when things are new…obviously, since I just this week installed 8.1 :-) … and I’ll be waiting awhile for 10 to prove itself.

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

Hi there,

I loaded Windows 10 upgrading from 8.1 this morning.  Whilst Microsoft say it’s an easy upgrade there are a few issues.  The first is that many virus protection programmes will not convert correctly and will stop working.  If this is the case (if you upgrade), just un-install the virus protection programme and re-install it after you have completed the upgrade to Windows 10.
    Also some graphics cards may not be recognised. Make sure you have the latest drivers etc. for your card before you upgrade.  If it does fail and Windows 10 starts in default graphics mode, again just re-install your graphics card etc.
    I have not found any other issues and all my programmes and settings converted without issue.  I have noticed though it can be a little slower than 8.1 on start up….

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle
    DANGER…….
    If you have loaded Windows 10 change these settings immediately…….failure to do this will allow anyone in your Skype or Outlook or Hotmail contacts lists to waltz onto your Wi-Fi network

To change your settings, go to Network settings then Manage Wi-Fi settings (Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Manage Wi-Fi Settings). There, you can choose which contacts you share Wi-Fi settings with. You can toggle the setting to discover friends’ Wi-Fi networks, or opt not to. If you want none of it, you can uncheck every box.
    ( Yes I’m still finding things out !)

brenda
    Participant
    Hoplite

YIKES! That’s enough to scare this luddite away! :wacko:   reb_popo

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Thanks for that, I have just been seeing some reaction now, some are teed off because you now have to pay for solitaire if you do not want to be bombarded with adverts. There are also people who must be with companies as they say their IT guys have said don’t touch it yet as it is a glorified Beta version and they are using the public to find the glitches so give it 6 months or more before installing.

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Brave Grocer, I agree with Jo info to wait and Brenda has it off to a T. But then if nobody upgraded we would never find out all those lurking problems…. now is it time I abandoned XP? B-)

Shazzie
    Participant
    Oracle

YIKES! That’s enough to scare this luddite away!

Ditto ditto ditto !!!!!!

My partner downloaded Windows 10, spent 2 hours trying to get it to work and ended up having to get her tech-wizard to bail her out !

Back to the Abacus and slate & chalk  :scratch:

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

I have so far today had no other issues with Windows 10. What’s more my “Classic Shell” programme that I loaded under Windows 8.1 also seems to be working fine so it is easy to “view” an old recognisable Windows format.

Mind you whilst I have upgraded the desktop, I think I’ll leave the laptop on Windows 8.1 for the time being….just in case…..

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

I thought that you couldn’t download it with xp.

I have xp on an old laptop that would be nice to use again. Jeez grocer, you really are an oracle. I am sure you have saved many of us over the years. reb_bravo

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

Hi I have just found this, It tells you how to go back to Windows 7 or 8.1

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/how-to-downgrade-from-windows-10-to-windows-8-or-windows-7-1300286?src=rss&attr=all&ref=yfp

Should anybody need it.

jodevizes
    Participant
    Oracle

There has been two upgrades for windows 10 already. If you are brave enough to try 10 but have a problem this may help. Check out the following list which contains error codes and possible fixes for each error: If you have upgraded to Windows 10 for free from Windows 7.1 Service Pack 1 or, Windows 8.1, but reach a non-activated state, perform the steps below.

Go to Start menu>> select Settings>> Update & security > Activation

Select Go to Store and check if a valid licence is available for your system. If not, you will need to buy Windows from the Store.

This only applies if you have not made any hardware changes to your PC. Error 0xC004C4AE - 'Genuine validation detected tampered Windows binaries': You get this error message if you have used a third-party app to add a display language that isn't currently supported by Windows. The fix is quite simple: restore your PC to an earlier setting to undo the changes made in Windows. If you are still having the activation problem, it suggests your Windows copy is invalid and you need to buy a new one. Error 0xC004F061: This error means a previous version of Windows has not been installed on your PC, before you tried using a product key to upgrade to Windows 10. You need to install Windows 8 or 7 before you perform an upgrade to Windows 10. Error 0xC004FC03 – 'A networking problem has occurred while activating your copy of Windows': You get this error if your PC is not connected to the internet or, firewall settings might be preventing Windows from completing the activation process. Ensure that you have a stable internet connection and your firewall is not blocking Windows from activating. If you still see the problem, try activating Windows using your phone. Error: 0xC004C008- 'The activation server reported that the product key has exceeded its unlock limit': This error happens if the product key has been used on another PC, or, is being used on several PCs, which the Microsoft Software Licence Terms do not allow. A simple fix is just to buy a product key (from Windows Store) for each PC to activate Windows. To buy product key from Windows perform the following;

• Go to Start>> Settings>> Update & security>> Activation
    • Select Go to Store and follow the on-screen instructions to buy Windows

You can purchase product key from retailers as well. Error 0xC004C020- 'The activation server reported that the Multiple Activation Key has exceeded its limit': According to Microsoft, this error displays when a Volume Licence has been used on more PCs than the Software Licence Terms allow. The Volume Licence is one that is bought from Microsoft by a business to install Windows on multiple PCs. A fix for this is to use a different product key to activate your PC. Error 0x8007232B- 'DNS name does not exist' and error 0x8007007B- 'The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect': If you are activating your work PC but not connected to the network of you workplace, then you will find this error. If you are connected to your network, and having this error, change your network settings. To enter your product key, follow the steps below;

• Go to Start menu>> Settings>> Update & security>> Activation
    • Select Change product key and enter the 25-character product key

You might need to enter an admin password or, to confirm your choice. Error 0x80072F8F- 'A security error occurred': If the date and time set in your PC are incorrect or, Windows is having an issue connecting to the online activation service and failed to verify the product key, you get this error message. To verify your PC's date and time;

• Navigate to Start>> Settings>> Time & Language >> Date & time

To check the internet connection;

• In the search box on task bar, enter network troubleshooter, select Identify and repair network problems. Now follow the on-screen instructions to fix the issues with network.

If the network troubleshooter does not have any problem, then try to restart your PC, which will fix the issue. Error 0xC004E003: A third-party software that changed the system files should be blamed in such situation. Windows activation needs the system files and changing them will hinder activation. You need to restore your PC's system files back to an earlier point. However, doing so will remove the software that was installed, without affecting your personal files. Error 0x80004005- 'Unspecified error' If this error message shows up, go to Start>> Settings>> Update & security>> Activation>> select Activate Windows to manually perform the Windows activation. If that fails to work, restart you PC and then perform the activation. Source: Microsoft  

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  sjs - GiH Admin. Reason: formatting code so it doesn't break the template

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Argh!  :unsure:

tpebop
    Participant
    Neophyte

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 without any problems.It took about 1.5 hours.

All my bookmarks  & add ons in  Firefox transferred over as well.My  free antivirus works ok.

sjs – GiH Admin
    Keymaster
    Aristotelic

I tried yesterday from 7 > 10. Both times I tried there were problems and 10 wouldn’t recognise my network cards, wouldn’t play with some essential software I use and looks pretty naff as well.

So it’s back to 7 for me (and I’m not the only one; many others I know are sticking with what works).

GiH Admin

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.