A sausage to brighten the day !

Forums Out & About in Greece Food, Drink, Cooking, Restaurants & Bars A sausage to brighten the day !

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sundodger 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Most people can’t resist a sausage? So Here’s the latest – Jumbo bbq sausage, based on a Mexican Chorizo & full of paprika, Chopped red pepper, chilli & garlic….Tried & tested :))

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! šŸ˜”

That is totally unfair Sunnyboy. I’m drooling already :nod: and no hope of tasting them from this distance. Not even a sniff.

….well perhaps the drooling is just down to old age then… :))

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

reb_bravo Wow how professional they look. I am drooling. If I lived near you sunnyboy I would look like a porker!

Mrs sunny is just too lucky and you better remind her that there are a bunch of us out there lining up for a fella that can cook and has such great talents. šŸ˜†

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

…Trouble is – Both my wife & myself have very recently had an “MOT” & been diagnosed with high cholesterol & my wife also with a non functional thyroid. Although I can now make all this stuff, I am very limited as to how much I/we can consume….A bit of a b**ger really ic_sad

The Grocer
    Participant
    Oracle

Clearly a new sausage “hot off the press”…

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Sunny. I eat butter not margarine…eggs, the fat off the meat and my favourite is double cream in and on just about everything.everything.I have lived this way for years. When I was pregnant with my daughter, my craving was drinking quarter pint of cream daily. :))

I refuse to take Statins cholesterol tablets, in fact I wont take any medicine that is deemed to give me a longer life or ‘protection.’ never any flu shots etc that make the Pharma business richer. I live like my grandparents did. Meat and veges,fruit olive oil and everything in moderation and home made. When my eye needed an operation they gave me a form to fill out with an entire page of what medications I take. I ticked nothing and the nurse insisted I must have made a mistake and went through it all again.

Read http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Cholesterol-are-Good-You/dp/919755538X And before that he wrote the Cholesterol Myth.

I have a very good friend of 75 who blindly follows my advice. He is a type 2 diabetic who used to have a miserable life, egg whites only and poached, no bread, no butter, no cheese and all the other good things in life. His doctor told him his cholesterol was too high and gave him statins. I told him about the research and that i believed it and he decided not to take the statins and changed his diet.

He started eating eggs fried in butter, and all the other no no foods. He went back to the doctor for a test. and then rang me to tell me the results. The doctor was VERY pleased, patted him on the back and said…see the statins worked your cholesterol is down and your monthly blood sugar has dropped. ( he was also taking a spoon of cinnamon daily for that ) Well George had not taken any statins. He tells his friends about it and they wont believe him.

Doctors in Greece are given prizes for putting people on pills. I have a doctor friend in Thess who was on an all expenses paid trip with a bunch of other doctors and their spouses for a week in Morocco courtesy of the Pharmaceutical company. Why such generosity?

There is plenty on You Tube regarding cholesterol and the dangers of Statins and I think that there is also a video by Uffe Ravnskov there.

Stop worrying and enjoy the years you have left. Quality is the word that comes to mind, and if you still insist on not eating the sausies…send em to me.

I do rave on don’t I? šŸ˜³

Ian
    Participant
    Homeric

@kiwi wrote:

I do rave on don’t I? šŸ˜³

Don’t worry…

There’s some good medication for that…

:mrgreen:

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

Cor blimey Kiwi… I only said I need to watch how many sausages I eat ! :))
    Anyway I agree with what you say about statins.

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Sorry guys but statins set off my GRRRRR gene because their effects have hit my family with devastating results.

May the force be with you sundodge and we await more of your culinary delights. Sad the forum is so quiet maybe your cooking pics can encourage some drooling members to come forth and share their day with us.

Ian i need a double dose of that medicine you mention. :retard:

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

If my sausage can but put a smile on only one persons face…My life is complete :mrgreen:

geckophile397
    Participant
    Neophyte

Kiwi, I TOTALLY agree with everything you said above!

As Sundodger already knows, statins made my 75 year old father very poorly indeed! He’d gone all confused and doddery – Mum thought he’d got Alzheimer’s! He was also covered in dreadful red, scaly eczema and felt very depressed. I have read about people having suicidal thoughts whilst taking these dreadful things. He is off them now and within a week of stopping was totally fine, back to being my dad again and my mum said she had her husband back!

Doctors in the UK are given bonuses for prescribing statins to anyone over 65 years of age. That rings alarm bells for me!! :angry:

I can also testify that Sundodger’s jumbo barbeque sausages are absolutely bloomin’ scrumplicious – as are all the sausages he makes. And the bacon. And the ham. And the black pudding. These huge sausages are my favourites though – and I want some RIGHT NOW. :))

And I DO live quite near Sundodger and I AM a porker. šŸ˜³ šŸ˜†

geckophile397
    Participant
    Neophyte

And regarding the animal fat debate, my partner’s sisters always say: ” Well, when we were kids, we ate lard sandwiches. And we didn’t die!”.

And it’s true. I used to pack dripping and salt sandwiches for my ex-husband’s lunch. He was fit as a fiddle and never got ill – or overweight.

I don’t believe animal fats and dairy stuff are “bad” for us. I believe all the processed crap (like margarine!) and chemical-filled fizzy drinks (like Coca-Cola – which no Greek dinner table seems to be without,around where we live) is what’s making people ill. And eating (and drinking) far too much then not moving around enough is what makes people fat. Most of us eat much bigger portions than we actually need. I certainly do, and I am overweight.

I refuse to eat margarine and if I haven’t got any butter in to put on sandwiches (butter is expensive!) I use olive oil.

So there. reb_popo

the reiver
    Participant
    Oracle

@sundodger wrote:

full of paprika, Chopped red pepper, chilli & garlic :))

Knowing how much spice goes into his “ordinary” pork sausages, I think these should come with a free 6 pack of Mythos ! šŸ˜†

8)

jeanjeanie
    Participant
    Neophyte

Kiwi, I think you’re absolutely on the right lines regarding cholesterol. I recall reading about a study done in USA sometime in the 70’s, whereby one group of people with high cholesterol were compared to another group with low cholesterol. Both groups were fed a high cholesterol diet.

After a period of time both groups had their cholesterol measured again. Both groups were found to be as they were before, so it was deduced that some people are naturally able to metabolize extra cholesterol.

My uncle had high cholesterol and informed me of this when he came to stay for some days. I was giving him eggs, bacon, sausage for breakfast, which he liked and ate, but seemed worried that it would have a bad effect. He was quite surprised when he had a check up after he left my house, to find his cholesterol had not gone through the roof at all. It was high but not higher than before.

I believe that for the most part our health is genetic, and it is only extreme ill-treatment that will make significant change, for example, smoking, excess alcohol, bad nutrition. But in any case, I’m too old to worry about it now.

All the best

PS Uncle Alf did die of a stroke, but not on my watch.

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

… Have now dusted off the frying pan :))

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Wow! or should that be reb_popo

Kiwi was right! Sunnyboy’s big sausage gets all these ladies back onto the board reb_bravo :))

All those comments of support will be going to his head! Now he has the offending things in a pan sizzling away and the aroma wafts all over the Polops. I can envisage the queue at his gate, Gecko, Jean, Kiwi rattling the lock..Brenda on her way over the pond, Alien parachuting in soon, Mrs Grocer pleading to return home by the quickest route…… hey where’s Mrs Kolo got to? Ah she’s heard our local butcher is to close (so no more pork and leek or pork, tomato and basil…)….. all beaten too it by Reiver who then had to run off to the nearest Taverna for a cooling beer and misses all the action. (Mrs Reiver probably has the patience to wait for a delivery to ‘the other side’ of the bay and has her freezer well stocked).

šŸ’” Recipe suggestion. Pork and Chilli jam,

Statins: Mrs K used to work in Pharma and wouldn’t touch them with a bargepole

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Right…We have to change sunny’s name to Mighty Banger. He has done the impossible…got the forum moving and shaking again. Yay, really nice to see the girls back.

Ok now for something important to share and really I should apologise for hijacking this thread.

Anyone taking Metformin for Diabetes MUST take Vitamin B12 and Folic acid or demand to get their levels checked especially if over 50 (none of us). Half the doctors don’t even know that Metformin depletes B12. Look it up. When you are short on B12, you can get Peripheral neuropathy (fingers and toes lose feeling) its even been connected to back pain and brain fog, especially in people that have had Helicobacter Pylori where the bacteria depletes you of B12. Also if you are on PPIs like Losec, same applies. I won’t bore you with details but trust me on this one too as I have close contact with such a person.

The Cholesterol story is the one that makes me maddest. Anyone on Statins having horrific pains in their back and legs…stop the statins and all pain will disappear. Doctors wont tell you that, they will let you continue and prescribe painkillers. One friend of mine could barely walk from taking them. I have utter respect for surgeons, but the doctors of today are just pill dispensers. I feel especially angry about how the pharma companies medicalise the natural body processes.

Suggestion. I would love to see a thread on the forum where people can share their findings on health matters, ESPECIALLY remedies that are being used in Greece from the plethora of herbs growing. Some of the older Greeks are masters of this and those that live in villages could take advantage of their knowledge. Example Mastic from Chios has been proven to kill Helicobacter Pylori without having to take Antibiotics which also kill the good bugs. Rave, rave, rave… :retard:

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

…Pork sausages can kill most things ! :mrgreen: Kiwi – Made this & thought of you :))

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Mmmmm…divine. Clever Clogs! Is that an avocado or an aubergine. Either way I like both.

Yesterday I made skinny aubergines cut in half, fried to soften and then fresh tomato grated over mixed with a tad of tomato paste and pinch of sugar, then cottage cheese mixed with feta over that, and then a thick white sauce over it, covered in yellow cheese with a mix of breadcrumbs and Parmesan sprinkled over that…and….drum-roll, a little melted butter/olive oil mix to help it brown in the oven.

No photos as all got eaten with a few meatballs on the side and some Tzaziki heavy on the cucumber…Heaven.

I love the fancy restaurant touch of big white plate with delicate drips of dressing…You are a woman’s dream sunny. reb_bravo

geckophile397
    Participant
    Neophyte

You are a woman’s dream sunny.

Yeah, he’s not bad for an old git… šŸ˜†

I’m not diabetic but I have Vitamin B12 deficiency. In the UK, where it was diagnosed, I had to make an appointment, go the surgery and have an injection in my upper arm, once every three months. A right palaver. A lot of people that I’ve read about on the Pernicious Anaemia Society’s forum have found that once every three months is not enough for them, and they start developing symptoms and feeling ill before they get their “fix”, but NHS rules mean they are NOT ALLOWED to have the injections any more often! I was finding I started to feel really tired and “foggy” each time I was due for my injection. Do the NHS not realise how DANGEROUS this deficiency is? It can turn into pernicious anaemia and can cause paralysis and all sorts of horrible problems if not treated. Years ago people would die of it, before they realised what it was, which is why it’s called “pernicious”.

Luckily here in Greece I can buy three vials of B12 (albeit mixed with other B vits) for a couple of euros, and my kind microbiologist neighbour does my injection for me every two months. It hurts like hell for about 30 seconds and I have to smile and pretend it doesn’t (for the sake of my neighbour’s four small girls who are terrified of injections). But I’d do it every month if I felt I needed it.

As for statins, seeing the state my beloved father was in whilst on them determined me to tell everyone I know NOT to take this poison.

And don’t get me started on underactive thyroid… :unibrow:

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

…And to think all this started with a picture of a sausage ! reb_popo :mrgreen:

kiwi
    Participant
    Aristotelic

Sunny I did try to get back on track with my aubergine effort and so I started a medicines thread for all the health rants. I of course will be the loudest contributor there :))

sundodger
    Participant
    Homeric

…ANYTHING to bump start the forum is more than welcome! :))

kolofarthos
    Participant
    Homeric

Your ‘serving on a plate’ looks interesting Sunnyboy but what was that you have spilt on it? Looks a bit like the bacterial growth on a pond or dirty dishwater šŸ˜† Where’s all the invigorating and health giving grease gone to?

and as a passing comment it is hardly a sufficient serving to keep your body and soul together! šŸ˜„
    Come now I know you can do better than that šŸ˜›

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.